PDA

View Full Version : Should the Finals MVP ever be given again to a player on the losing team?

coastalmarker99
05-12-2021, 10:10 AM
What would be a realistic scenario nowadays where the NBA would give the Finals MVP to someone on a losing team in the league today?

In 1969 the FMVP was given to Jerry West. It was the first year of the award and still the only time it has been given to a member of the losing team. The Boston Celtics beat Jerry West's Lakers in 7 games.

Jerry West averaged 37.9 pts 7.4 ast 4.7 reb for the series on 49% shooting. He was by far the best player on the court and also played through an injury for games 5, 6 & 7.

coastalmarker99
05-12-2021, 10:14 AM
One thing that would be awkward about giving the finals Mvp to a player on the losing team such as Lebron in 2015 would be as the trophy is being presented and the Warriors are celebrating the NBA would have to walk out LeBron and hand him the finals MVP which would make for a very awkward moment.

To solve that issue through the NBA could give the losing player the finals Mvp in the locker room

8Ball
05-12-2021, 10:42 AM
Yes LeBron deserved 2015 finals MVP.

He was robbed.

Bronbron23
05-12-2021, 12:04 PM

He was robbed.

Really? But he shot under 40% in a easy scoring era in his prime . You do know that literally anyone in the nba could score 35 points a game on 35 ahots right? I mean Don't get me wrong he did other things and as usual he was still great but he didn't deserve fmvp.

8Ball
05-12-2021, 12:18 PM
Really? But he shot under 40% in a easy scoring era in his prime . You do know that literally anyone in the nba could score 35 points a game on 35 ahots right? I mean Don't get me wrong he did other things and as usual he was still great but he didn't deserve fmvp.

He got 4 out of the 11 votes.

Iggy didn't deserve it over him.

If just 2 more of these idiots switched sides he would have won it. They conspired not to. They colluded amongst themselves not to give it to LeBron.

Andre Iguodala:

Sam Amick, USA Today
Ken Berger, CBSSports.com
Hubie Brown, ESPN Radio
Jason Lloyd, Akron Beacon Journal
Rusty Simmons, San Francisco Chronicle
Marc Spears, Yahoo Sports
Marc Stein, ESPN.com

LeBron James:

Steve Aschburner, NBA.com
Howard Beck, Bleacher Report
Zach Lowe, Grantland
Jeff Van Gundy, ABC TV

One of them said this:

Had James carried the Cavs to a Game 7, however, he probably would’ve received my vote regardless how the series ended

So it wasn't about stats at all.

Ainosterhaspie
05-12-2021, 12:26 PM
You know people are just itching to say it would be symbolic of the participation trophy era, instead of focusing on winning like they did back in the day, only the very first one being given to a guy who lost blows up that narrative. Oddly enough, at a time when they didn't just hand out awards to everyone for no reason, they were actually inclined to give the award to whomever performed best rather than just default to best player on winning team.

ImKobe
05-12-2021, 12:42 PM

He was robbed.

FMVP for scoring 20 pts on 7/22 FG, up 2 - 1, AT HOME?

Bronbron23
05-12-2021, 12:57 PM
He got 4 out of the 11 votes.

Iggy didn't deserve it over him.

If just 2 more of these idiots switched sides he would have won it. They conspired not to. They colluded amongst themselves not to give it to LeBron.

Andre Iguodala:

Sam Amick, USA Today
Ken Berger, CBSSports.com
Hubie Brown, ESPN Radio
Jason Lloyd, Akron Beacon Journal
Rusty Simmons, San Francisco Chronicle
Marc Spears, Yahoo Sports
Marc Stein, ESPN.com

LeBron James:

Steve Aschburner, NBA.com
Howard Beck, Bleacher Report
Zach Lowe, Grantland
Jeff Van Gundy, ABC TV

One of them said this:

So it wasn't about stats at all.

Yeah i don't disagree that bron was better than iggy but he lost. The loser never wins fmvp. If it was something that happened fairly consistently i'd agree but it almost never happens