PDA

View Full Version : Jerry West feels deeply insulted At Being Left Off Jeanie Buss’ Top 5 Lakers List

coastalmarker99
05-13-2021, 09:45 AM
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/05/12/jerry-west-jeanie-buss-top-5-lakers-list/

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – Basketball legend Jerry West is insulted being left off a list of the top five Lakers of all-time.

On a podcast last month, Lakers owner Jeanie Buss listed her top five Lakers ever as Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson, LeBron James, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Phil Jackson.

Noticeably absent was the 82-year-old West, whose silhouette graces the NBA logo.

West appeared on the Hoop Du Jour Podcast with Peter Vescey this week, where he did not mince words at being left out of Buss’ top five.

“I saw the other day Jeanie Buss made a statement, the five most important Lakers, one of the most offensive things I’ve ever heard in my life. I was there a lot of times, had a lot of success,” West told Vescey. “Be curious to know if they would have had that success if I hadn’t been there.”

“And I don’t ever take credit for stuff, I don’t. When I was around, maybe I was just a good luck charm,” West went on. “But I do know, that when this thing fell apart, there was a lot of years where they weren’t very good.”

West won one title with the Lakers as a player in 1972. He also served as general manager and executive vice president of the team from 1982 to 2000.

He was instrumental in the trade that brought Bryant to the Lakers in 1996.

guy
05-13-2021, 09:49 AM
He should be insulted. Lebron and Phil have no place on that list over West, Baylor or Shaq. Maybe Lebron is just that sensitive and she's still that obsessed with Phil.

coastalmarker99
05-13-2021, 09:56 AM
He should be insulted. Lebron and Phil have no place on that list over West, Baylor or Shaq. Maybe Lebron is just that sensitive and she's still that obsessed with Phil.

Indeed he should feel that way as that list is incredibly disrespectful to him. And on another note one of if not the most important Laker figures in their storied history is Baylor who according to many saved the team from folding once they left Minnesota to go to LA

SouBeachTalents
05-13-2021, 09:59 AM
Shaq not being there is terrible too

Axe
05-13-2021, 10:02 AM
I've read before that the list is only supposed to involve players but there are executives/coaches as well?

Bronbron23
05-13-2021, 10:56 AM
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/05/12/jerry-west-jeanie-buss-top-5-lakers-list/

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – Basketball legend Jerry West is insulted being left off a list of the top five Lakers of all-time.

On a podcast last month, Lakers owner Jeanie Buss listed her top five Lakers ever as Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson, LeBron James, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Phil Jackson.

Noticeably absent was the 82-year-old West, whose silhouette graces the NBA logo.

West appeared on the Hoop Du Jour Podcast with Peter Vescey this week, where he did not mince words at being left out of Buss’ top five.

“I saw the other day Jeanie Buss made a statement, the five most important Lakers, one of the most offensive things I’ve ever heard in my life. I was there a lot of times, had a lot of success,” West told Vescey. “Be curious to know if they would have had that success if I hadn’t been there.”

“And I don’t ever take credit for stuff, I don’t. When I was around, maybe I was just a good luck charm,” West went on. “But I do know, that when this thing fell apart, there was a lot of years where they weren’t very good.”

West won one title with the Lakers as a player in 1972. He also served as general manager and executive vice president of the team from 1982 to 2000.

He was instrumental in the trade that brought Bryant to the Lakers in 1996.

I mean she was probably 5 years old when west played. She probably never even seen him play.

coastalmarker99
05-13-2021, 10:57 AM
Shaq not being there is terrible too

How do you win a regular-season plus 3 finals Mvp for the Lakers In maybe the most dominant fashion ever in Nba history and yet still get left off the list of top 5 Lakers?

If I was Shaq I would be rightfully pissed off as he basically singlehandedly carried the lakers to a title in 2000 before Kobe finally stepped up in 2001 and 2002.

And then afterwards Kobe shamelessly threw the 2004 finals series vs the Pistons out of spite towards Shaq which cost Shaq his 4 title and 4th finals Mvp with the Lakers in less then 5 years.

tpols
05-13-2021, 11:02 AM
On basketball reference all time Lakers are ranked

Kobe
West
Kareem
Magic
Mikan

LeBron and Phil aren't even in the top 10. Byron Scott literally has a higher Lakers career ranking right now.

coastalmarker99
05-13-2021, 11:46 AM

Kobe
West
Kareem
Magic
Mikan

LeBron and Phil aren't even in the top 10. Byron Scott literally has a higher Lakers career ranking right now.

Yeah that is true.

LeCola
05-13-2021, 12:13 PM

Kobe
West
Kareem
Magic
Mikan

Pat Riley, Worthy...

8Ball
05-13-2021, 12:17 PM

He gonna have to deal with it.

It's Jeanie's list and she put LeBron up there.

90sgoat
05-13-2021, 06:37 PM
These hoes aint loyal.

Manny98
05-13-2021, 07:05 PM
GOAT already top 5 Laker :applause:

mehyaM24
05-13-2021, 07:08 PM
lebron is obviously greater all-time, but he isn't a greater laker than jerry. at least not yet.

Axe
05-13-2021, 09:09 PM
lebron is obviously greater all-time, but he isn't a greater laker than jerry. at least not yet.
Not above kobe too imo

Real Men Wear Green
05-13-2021, 11:19 PM
Not ever unless he builds them two dynasties as a GM. But she went with recent history for obvious reasons. Few people under 60 will care.

LBJ
05-14-2021, 12:30 AM
Dont forget https://www.knbr.com/2020/12/18/audio-of-jerry-west-calling-lakers-a-st-show-surfaces-amidst-lawsuit-involving-kawhi-leonard-recruitment/

Maybe Jerry West should have not bashed the Lakers before. He deserves it.