PDA

View Full Version : Can Curry surpass Kobe?

AirBonner
05-13-2021, 03:38 PM
3 chips, 2 mvps, by far most made 3pt shots on goat efficiency :confusedshrug:

2much_knowledge
05-14-2021, 04:37 AM
3 chips, 2 mvps, by far most made 3pt shots on goat efficiency :confusedshrug:

No

Axe
05-14-2021, 06:52 AM
Even the black mamba himself had an iconic moment in the playoffs. He scored a career playoff high 48 points that resulted into a win for his team.

Sulico
05-14-2021, 07:00 AM
He already did.

ImKobe
05-14-2021, 09:58 AM
In terms of career accolades, yes. He'll never be as good as Kobe to me due to his defense though.

deathawaitu
05-14-2021, 07:33 PM
If curry keeps winning he might pass Kobe

Curry already passed Lebron, so curry will be top 8 once he pass Kobe (if)

Axe
05-14-2021, 10:27 PM
If curry keeps winning he might pass Kobe

Curry already passed Lebron, so curry will be top 8 once he pass Kobe (if)
Too bad he doesn't have a

Foxtrot
India
November
Alpha
Lima
Sierra

Mike
Victor
Papa

Though... :(

Shooter
05-14-2021, 10:28 PM
Too bad he doesn't have a

Foxtrot
India
November
Alpha
Lima
Sierra

Mike
Victor
Papa

Though... :(

Curry needs that

Frank
Mike
Victor
Papa

:lol

Bronbron23
05-14-2021, 11:00 PM
No, no and heeeeeelllll no

RRR3
05-14-2021, 11:02 PM
Kobe was never as good as Curry is, so yeah he can.

Bronbron23
05-14-2021, 11:10 PM
Kobe was never as good as Curry is, so yeah he can.

Man this shit should be an example of how you can ruin all credibility from one sentence:facepalm

Axe
05-14-2021, 11:12 PM
Man this shit should be an example of how you can ruin all credibility from one sentence:facepalm
Some people think he's better because he played for a 73-win team

RRR3
05-14-2021, 11:12 PM
You’re an idiot who massively underrates Curry. I don’t care what you think. You truly have no idea what you’re seeing in him.

Bronbron23
05-14-2021, 11:20 PM
You’re an idiot who massively underrates Curry. I don’t care what you think. You truly have no idea what you’re seeing in him.

Sure bud whatever you say curry is better than kobe. Good luck finding anyone with any basketball credibility to agree with you. You'd be laughed out of any gym or barbershop with that shit.

Bronbron23
05-14-2021, 11:23 PM
Some people think he's better because he played for a 73-win team

Well i would call those people retarded. Since when does a regular season record make u great? Like pips shirt said. It don't mean a thang without the rang. Kind of hard to get theses fakkits in this participation era to understand that.

RRR3
05-14-2021, 11:30 PM
Sure bud whatever you say curry is better than kobe. Good luck finding anyone with any basketball credibility to agree with you. You'd be laughed out of any gym or barbershop with that shit.
Argument ad populum is a logical fallacy.

SouBeachTalents
05-14-2021, 11:35 PM
Prime for prime I think Kobe > Curry, but it's definitely not a blasphemous "not even close" situation, Curry's really fcking good, I just think Kobe's the better all around player and can get buckets more reliably in the playoffs.

All time though, barring some unforeseen resurgence in Golden State, that argument's finished :lol Curry's 33 and he's still gonna trail Kobe 15-7 in All-NBA selections and by a whopping 15,000 career points, not to mention 2-0 in FMVP's

RRR3
05-14-2021, 11:40 PM
Prime for prime I think Kobe > Curry, but it's definitely not a blasphemous "not even close" situation, Curry's really fcking good, I just think Kobe's the better all around player and can get buckets more reliably in the playoffs.

All time though, barring some unforeseen resurgence in Golden State, that argument's finished :lol Curry's 33 and he's still gonna trail Kobe 15-7 in All-NBA selections and by a whopping 15,000 career points, not to mention 2-0 in FMVP's
Curry scores better than Kobe in the playoffs tbh. Kobe maintains his level of play better but Curry’s numbers in the playoffs are still crazy. Kobe wasn’t a very good finals performer either considering his usual standards if you’re going to use that against Curry.

ShawkFactory
05-14-2021, 11:42 PM
I’ll always boil it down to who’d is draft as a new franchise going forward. And the answer is Kobe.

Same as my choice in a comparison of KG, Malone, Barkley, Dirk and Duncan. You can argue all of these guys for the rest of time. But if you have the first pick to start your team it’s Duncan.

Kobe, despite some of his faults, can do more on the court than Curry can. Particularly when things slow down. So you take him first.

BigShotBob
05-14-2021, 11:44 PM
Curry scores better than Kobe in the playoffs tbh. Kobe maintains his level of play better but Curry’s numbers in the playoffs are still crazy. Kobe wasn’t a very good finals performer either considering his usual standards if you’re going to use that against Curry.

Kobe doesn't get enough credit for his versatility. We're talking about a SG that can win you a game by grabbing 15 rebounds in a Finals game 7 against Boston, which was what Rondo alluded to when he spoke on how Kobe took over the game without even scoring. Curry simply can't do that. If he can't score, there's not much else he can do to impact the game.

Kobe also guarded and shut down Ray Allen in that same Game 7.

Shooter
05-14-2021, 11:46 PM
Yes he could, Kobe is barely top 15 anyway...So yes, it's possible.

Bronbron23
05-14-2021, 11:53 PM
Argument ad populum is a logical fallacy.

Whatever bruh. I can't take someone serious who thinks curry is better than kobe. He's a 6'3 point gaurd who's not a great passer and can't defend. He can't impact the game like a player bigger, longer and as talented as him can. This shit isn't even close. Curry is one of the most overrated players ever. If kd wasn't such a soft bish curry would be sitting on one asterisk chip and no fmvp's. He doesn't belong in the same sentence as kobe or any of the atg players.

Axe
05-14-2021, 11:55 PM
Well i would call those people retarded. Since when does a regular season record make u great? Like pips shirt said. It don't mean a thang without the rang. Kind of hard to get theses fakkits in this participation era to understand that.
Could also be due to being b2b mvp in 15 and 16 as well.

Too bad he has no iconic moments yet in the playoffs though. Ongoing quarter buzzer beaters from half-court or further are just banal imho.

Bronbron23
05-15-2021, 12:00 AM
Could also be due to being b2b mvp in 15 and 16 as well.

Too bad he has no iconic moments yet in the playoffs though. Ongoing quarter buzzer beaters from half-court or further are just banal imho.

Yeah curry is definitely one of the greatest regular season players ever if we're looking at peak. It's to bad it's the playoffs and more specifically the finals is what really makes players stand out

HoopsNY
05-15-2021, 12:03 AM
Kobe doesn't get enough credit for his versatility. We're talking about a SG that can win you a game by grabbing 15 rebounds in a Finals game 7 against Boston, which was what Rondo alluded to when he spoke on how Kobe took over the game without even scoring. Curry simply can't do that. If he can't score, there's not much else he can do to impact the game.

Kobe also guarded and shut down Ray Allen in that same Game 7.

This. Steph has proven himself to become mediocre offensively in the finals. Kobe had a lot of bad finals performances, but he could rely on a multitude of aspects of his game to lift his team to a victory. Not to mention, he put up big numbers prior to 2005 when new rule changes took effect.

Steph doesn't even have a FMVP. Let's revisit this conversation when he actually has one. And not to mention, 2/3 of Steph's championships come as a result of forming a super-team with KD. I know that doesn't disqualify him from the conversation all together, but it does severely put him into question.

Stanley Kobrick
05-15-2021, 12:04 AM
not possible, Kobe played defense and at times guarded the teams most offensive threat. stephen curry always guards the opposing teams weakest offensive threat. if stephen curry isn't hitting 3's, he offers very little to a team. compared to kobe who can affect games in a selective ways

HoopsNY
05-15-2021, 12:05 AM
not possible, Kobe played defense and at times guarded the teams most offensive thread. stephen currys always guards the opposing teams weakest offensive thread

Agreed. It doesn't help his case when GS would put Klay on the opposing team's best perimeter player.

Stanley Kobrick
05-15-2021, 12:09 AM
Agreed. It doesn't help his case when GS would put Klay on the opposing team's best perimeter player.
can you imagine how effective kobe would be offensively if he was allowed to save evergy by sagging in the corner on teams spot up shooters like stephen curry does?

Axe
05-15-2021, 12:18 AM
not possible, Kobe played defense and at times guarded the teams most offensive threat. stephen curry always guards the opposing teams weakest offensive threat. if stephen curry isn't hitting 3's, he offers very little to a team. compared to kobe who can affect games in a selective ways
True. Can't forget chef underestimated some role players like matthew dellavedova and fred vanvleet in the finals. If part of being better involves size, then it's a given who to pick between these two.

HoopsNY
05-15-2021, 12:20 AM
can you imagine how effective kobe would be offensively if he was allowed to save evergy by sagging in the corner on teams spot up shooters like stephen curry does?

Not to mention the minutes he played. Kobe averaged 41 minutes almost in his peak. Steph was doing 33-34 mpg. In the playoffs, Kobe did almost 43 mpg to Steph's 38.

Stanley Kobrick
05-15-2021, 12:20 AM
True. Can't forget chef underestimated some role players like matthew dellavedova and fred vanvleet in the finals. If part of being better involves size, then it's a given who to pick between these two.
also if you swap curry and kobe in 2010, Lakers lose gm 7 without KB's boards and defense. probably wouldn't even have been in the finals in the first place

SouBeachTalents
05-15-2021, 12:22 AM
Every ATG is prone to have bad playoff performances, Kobe's for sure had his fair share, and even LeBron before his first title had some astoundingly bad playoff games. But it seems like Curry tends to have them more frequently than his ATG contemporaries. Just for reference, comparing Curry's 5 straight Finals run to Kobe's true prime years ('01-'10)

In Kobe's 148 playoff games over that span, he scored under 20 points 16 times
In Curry's 93 playoff games over that span, he scored under 20 points 17 times

I know it's not the greatest metric to use due to Kobe's proclivity to chuck up shots, even to the detriment of his team, but that's still pretty astounding that in over 50 more games played, he had fewer games scoring under 20 points than Curry did, in an era where it was much more difficult to score too.

As others have noted, if Curry's shot isn't falling and he's not scoring, he really can't impact the game in other ways. That's why I'd consider Kobe to be the better player and the more consistent playoff performer.

Stanley Kobrick
05-15-2021, 12:43 AM
kobe didn't win his first finals mvp until his 6th Finals so it's not very fair to compare that metric yet

Axe
05-15-2021, 01:30 AM
It's sad to think to that kobe has been gone and couldn't be reached anymore for what? Like almost 18 months already but some people don't really care. In their perspective, he's plain trash because they often compare him to kong but if you are a true fan of basketball, it should be more than that. He must be appreciated for his own greatness as well. Btw that reminds me, i still have yet to read the book the last season by zen master which i bought last year.

also if you swap curry and kobe in 2010, Lakers lose gm 7 without KB's boards and defense. probably wouldn't even have been in the finals in the first place
He would have been dingo'd by chris paul, i mean by papa rondo in the first place too. Although i'm not sure if in 2010 he'd be the same shooter like he was in his first ring. Regardless he remains to look one-dimensional than either of them.

TheCorporation
05-15-2021, 01:59 AM
kobe didn't win his first finals mvp until his 6th Finals so it's not very fair to compare that metric yet

Great post, high IQ. Curry needs at least one more Finals just like Kobe did before he can be on equal FMVP footing.

After all, Kobe took 6 trips to the Finals just to nab his 1st Finals MVP. Curry is 0/5 so he still has one last shot to tie 1for6be