PDA

View Full Version : Duncan , Garnett , Malone, which one is your guy ?

L8krH8tr
05-14-2021, 03:32 PM
I have to go with Duncan just crazy game changing presence a hair over KG

pandiani17
05-14-2021, 05:44 PM

TD. He was the most skilled of them all and also rebounded and blocked a lot, despite this went unnoticed a lot of the time.

Spurs m8
05-14-2021, 06:03 PM
TD.

Great fundamentals, leader, presence...

Reason he carried his teams to so much success...

And also kept the Spurs on the radar for so long.

Derka
05-14-2021, 07:32 PM
Duncan and it’s not even close.

Thenameless
05-14-2021, 07:59 PM

Not just a hair over Garnett. I'd say there's a comfortable gap between them. For instance, I could see Anthony Davis ending up higher than Garnett all time for power forwards, but I don't see him ever catching up to Duncan, and I'm a Lakers fan. Duncan is the true definition of a franchise player; a guy that could put his team on his shoulders and carry them to a Championship. Garnett, Malone, and Davis can't do that.

fsvr54
05-14-2021, 08:03 PM
Garnett

You guys are seriously underrating him. Greatest defensive anchor of all time

Duncan carries a team to the chip because he had way better teams and the goat coach. Nonsense comparison

KG was also the best player on a similarly stacked (as all the Spurs teams) championship team in 08

BigShotBob
05-14-2021, 08:07 PM
Garnett

You guys are seriously underrating him. Greatest defensive anchor of all time

Duncan carries a team to the chip because he had way better teams and the goat coach. Nonsense comparison

KG was also the best player on a similarly stacked (as all the Spurs teams) championship team in 08

No, he was not. Not even close. And Offensively he was not an efficient or dominant scorer by any stretch of the imagination, which was why he could only win a championship as the second or third scoring option as best.

Derka
05-14-2021, 08:30 PM
The Spurs won titles with Duncan as the man multiple times.

That Celtics squad…if you take any one of Paul, KG or Ray away, they lose to the Lakers in 2008. And I say that as a Celtics fan. All three were necessary for that to work.

Duncan was the rare complete package in a 7-foot frame. KG was not a complete package.

Reggie43
05-14-2021, 08:47 PM
I love Kevin's playstyle plus versatility and I know Duncan would get you the most wins but in a head to head matchup with each other I wont be surprised if Karl Malone beats both players.

tpols
05-14-2021, 09:01 PM
Dirk.

HBK_Kliq_2
05-14-2021, 09:09 PM
Dirk.

This is the right answer. Dirk's mavs put a 115 offensive rating against prime Duncan\Manu\Parker in 2006 and won the series in a game 7 on Duncan's homecourt despite Jason Terry being suspended 1 game for punching Finley in the nuts. They also lost that game, so if Terry played they would of closed Spurs in 6.

That was an embarrassing loss by Duncan. Dirk had worse teammates, his 2nd scorer was suspended for a loss, beat Duncan on his homecourt in game 7.

SouBeachTalents
05-14-2021, 09:10 PM
Who's taking Malone over Duncan :lol

SouBeachTalents
05-14-2021, 09:13 PM
This is the right answer. Dirk's mavs put a 115 offensive rating against prime Duncan\Manu\Parker in 2006 and won the series in a game 7 on Duncan's homecourt despite Jason Terry being suspended 1 game for punching Finley in the nuts. They also lost that game, so if Terry played they would of closed Spurs in 6.

That was an embarrassing loss by Duncan. Dirk had worse teammates, his 2nd scorer was suspended for a loss, beat Duncan on his homecourt in game 7.
Duncan averaged 32/12/4/3 on 62%TS in that series and dropped 41/15/6 in Game 7. He even outscored Dirk in 6 of the 7 games in that series

Code Breaker
05-14-2021, 09:20 PM
Duncan solid, longevity.

ShawkFactory
05-14-2021, 09:24 PM

Lol why? Way to take a stupid leap.

Terry was incredible in game 7 and was the reason the won that game. But who knows if they win game 6.

Duncan had 41 in game 7 I think? I rewatched that game about 6 months ago. He had 41 despite being doubled just about every time he touched the ball. He was a different beast than Dirk.

tpols
05-14-2021, 09:59 PM

I didn't even remember that suspension. Good catch bro. Ridiculous what Dirk did. Imagine winning a title with josh Howard as your number two. Totally absurd.

Axe
05-14-2021, 10:01 PM
Garnett and duncan

HoopsNY
05-15-2021, 12:12 AM
Not just a hair over Garnett. I'd say there's a comfortable gap between them. For instance, I could see Anthony Davis ending up higher than Garnett all time for power forwards, but I don't see him ever catching up to Duncan, and I'm a Lakers fan. Duncan is the true definition of a franchise player; a guy that could put his team on his shoulders and carry them to a Championship. Garnett, Malone, and Davis can't do that.

I think Malone could have, but he ran into MJ twice in the finals. TD ran into LeBron 3x and won twice. But Duncan's ability to impact the game defensively is well above Malone's. KG is massively overrated. Ben Taylor has him ranked higher than TD and that's just ridiculously wrong.

Thenameless
05-15-2021, 02:16 AM
I think Malone could have, but he ran into MJ twice in the finals. TD ran into LeBron 3x and won twice. But Duncan's ability to impact the game defensively is well above Malone's. KG is massively overrated. Ben Taylor has him ranked higher than TD and that's just ridiculously wrong.

Then this Ben Taylor just does not know basketball. It's pretty plain to see that Tim Duncan is both the best and greatest power forward of all time. Duncan can score at a high level (very efficient), he defends at the highest level for his position (though lacking some of the perimeter diversity of KG and AD), and he is by far more clutch than any of the others. Duncan is the type of player you want on the court if you are an NBA coach. No mistakes, no drama, just win. Again, this coming from a lifelong Laker fan.

TheCorporation
05-15-2021, 02:25 AM
You already have them in the correct, approved order

Duncan
Garnett
Malone

AussieSteve
05-15-2021, 03:59 AM
TD > Malone > KG

ShawkFactory
05-15-2021, 10:27 AM
I didn't even remember that suspension. Good catch bro. Ridiculous what Dirk did. Imagine winning a title with josh Howard as your number two. Totally absurd.

There was no scenario where Josh Howard was the #2

fsvr54
05-15-2021, 06:39 PM
No, he was not. Not even close. And Offensively he was not an efficient or dominant scorer by any stretch of the imagination, which was why he could only win a championship as the second or third scoring option as best.

I think he was the greatest defensive anchor of all time, who cares what you say.

fsvr54
05-15-2021, 06:40 PM
The Spurs won titles with Duncan as the man multiple times.

That Celtics squad…if you take any one of Paul, KG or Ray away, they lose to the Lakers in 2008. And I say that as a Celtics fan. All three were necessary for that to work.

Duncan was the rare complete package in a 7-foot frame. KG was not a complete package.

Take Ginobili out of the Spurs or whoever was their second best player and they don't win either. Duncan won as the man because he had MUCH better supporting casts.

Also, the Celtics would've repeated in 09 if KG didn't get injured and possibly threepeated in 2010 without other injuries.

ShawkFactory
05-15-2021, 06:43 PM
Take Ginobili out of the Spurs or whoever was their second best player and they don't win either. Duncan won as the man because he had MUCH better supporting casts.

Also, the Celtics would've repeated in 08 if KG didn't get injured and possibly threepeated in 2010 without other injuries.
The load that Duncan carried on the 03 title team is borderline unmatched by anyone ever.

rmt
05-15-2021, 06:51 PM

Your Kawhi love and subsequent Duncan hate blinds you enough to rag on a spectacular series/game 7 by Duncan

2006 Playoffs
Duncan 32.3 pts 11.7 rebs 3.7 assts 1 stl 2.6 blks 55.6%FG
Dirk 27.1 pts 13.3 rebs 2.7 assts 1.4 stl 0.4 blks 52.7%FG

Game 7
Duncan 41 pts 15 rebs 6 assts 1 stl 3 blk 50%FG
Dirk 37 pts 15 rebs 3 assts 1 stl 1 blk 55%FG

90sgoat
05-15-2021, 06:55 PM
Who's taking Malone over Duncan :lol

Probably no one, because Duncan is an all time great, and was from the time he entered the league to 20 years later.

It's close, but ultimately an unfair comparison, because Duncan is a true 7 footer and played center on defense a lot of the time.

Malone has been criminally underrated by most people because of Michael Jordan, because otherwise he'd be a top 3 all time scorer with 2 finals MVPs.

Karl Malone was a much better scorer than Duncan.

The real question imo has always been Malone vs Barkley vs KG and I probably rank Malone at the top, Barkley second and KG third.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-15-2021, 06:59 PM

How is this myth still alive :oldlol:

KG led the 08 Celtics in playoff and 4th quarter scoring.

HBK_Kliq_2
05-15-2021, 07:09 PM
Your Kawhi love and subsequent Duncan hate blinds you enough to rag on a spectacular series/game 7 by Duncan

2006 Playoffs
Duncan 32.3 pts 11.7 rebs 3.7 assts 1 stl 2.6 blks 55.6%FG
Dirk 27.1 pts 13.3 rebs 2.7 assts 1.4 stl 0.4 blks 52.7%FG

Game 7
Duncan 41 pts 15 rebs 6 assts 1 stl 3 blk 50%FG
Dirk 37 pts 15 rebs 3 assts 1 stl 1 blk 55%FG

Still lost to dirk and scrubs despite terry being suspended for 1 game. Still also lost a game 7 on your home court. I hope Duncan thanks kawhi in his HOF speech for carrying him in the 2010s

tpols
05-15-2021, 07:15 PM
I do find it funny most would make the argument Duncan / Garnett > Dirk because defense, yet Dirk smoked both of them H2H in the playoffs. Didnt seem to matter much.

He also waxed peak Wade, Durant, and LeBron.

HBK_Kliq_2
05-15-2021, 07:18 PM
How is this myth still alive :oldlol:

KG led the 08 Celtics in playoff and 4th quarter scoring.

Not trying to hate on the guy or anything but his finals production was worse then 2014 Kawhi and a lot of people like to hate on Kawhi those finals.

2014 finals GmSc Kawhi: 15.8

2008 finals: GmSC KG: 14.6

HBK_Kliq_2
05-15-2021, 07:19 PM
I do find it funny most would make the argument Duncan / Garnett > Dirk because defense, yet Dirk smoked both of them H2H in the playoffs. Didnt seem to matter much.

Dirk is very Kawhi lite offensively but Kawhi has better defense.

tpols
05-15-2021, 07:24 PM
Dirk is very Kawhi lite offensively but Kawhi has better defense.

Dirk is much better offensively. Kawhi doesn't even play enough regular season games to lead teams to 60+ wins with Howard and Terry as the next best players.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-15-2021, 07:29 PM

LMAO @ 2011 KD as a 22yo in his 2nd playoff appearance being "peak KD"

Why didnt you mention Kobe when him and Dirk met in the playoffs one time?

TheCorporation
05-15-2021, 07:33 PM
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Karl Malone

The list was right from the beginning.

HBK_Kliq_2
05-15-2021, 07:33 PM
Dirk is much better offensively. Kawhi doesn't even play enough regular season games to lead teams to 60+ wins with Howard and Terry as the next best players.

Kawhi in 2017 won 60+ with Aldridge and scrubs

tpols
05-15-2021, 07:56 PM
LMAO @ 2011 KD as a 22yo in his 2nd playoff appearance being "peak KD"

Why didnt you mention Kobe when him and Dirk met in the playoffs one time?

KD was hanging 30 ppg around then. Kobe was in the low 20s that year and hit a sharp decline in 2011. (big fall off from 2010)

But if you want to say he waxed "peak" 2011 Kobe, have at it. Giving Dirk props seems to seriously rustle your jimmies.

tpols
05-15-2021, 07:59 PM
Kawhi in 2017 won 60+ with Aldridge and scrubs

Bro the spurs are still a playoff team to this day. You could replace Kawhi with me and they'd still make the playoffs.

HBK_Kliq_2
05-15-2021, 08:00 PM
Duncan's HOF speech was the only thing more boring then watching him play. Also no Jordan\Shaq talking for Kobe and instead we get his side bitch? horrible HOF ceremony.

HBK_Kliq_2
05-15-2021, 08:01 PM
Bro the spurs are still a playoff team to this day. You could replace Kawhi with me and they'd still make the playoffs.

They just missed the playoffs last season, bro.

Don't you know by now to think before you reply to me? I'm no dummy. Spurs were a negative SRS last season and a negative SRS this season.

Phoenix
05-15-2021, 08:46 PM
KD was hanging 30 ppg around then. Kobe was in the low 20s that year and hit a sharp decline in 2011. (big fall off from 2010)

But if you want to say he waxed "peak" 2011 Kobe, have at it. Giving Dirk props seems to seriously rustle your jimmies.

Peak KD was his first MVP season through his Warriors years. He was comfortably better those seasons than he was in 2011 just because he was 'hanging 30' early on. That's like saying 87 MJ was peak MJ because he was dropping 37, when he was a much more refined talent by 90.

tpols
05-15-2021, 09:11 PM
Peak KD was his first MVP season through his Warriors years. He was comfortably better those seasons than he was in 2011 just because he was 'hanging 30' early on. That's like saying 87 MJ was peak MJ because he was dropping 37, when he was a much more refined talent by 90.

'87 MJ and '11 KD were much better players than '11 Kobe so your point is moot. Kobe was a shell by then. Durant and Jordan were both in the start of their primes.

But if you want to say Dirk beat prime Kobe fine. I think they were the same age in 2011 anyway. That only adds to the point. Dirk is the GOAT PF.

ImKobe
05-15-2021, 09:36 PM
Kobe played on one good leg in 2011, was already dealing with a bad knee and injured his ankle in the Hornets series.

Duncan's HOF speech was the only thing more boring then watching him play. Also no Jordan\Shaq talking for Kobe and instead we get his side bitch? horrible HOF ceremony.

Damn, you're salty that he didn't even mention Kawhi, eh?

SouBeachTalents
05-15-2021, 09:53 PM

Please, when Duncan was in his prime he outplayed Dirk by a clear margin in those first 3 playoff matchups, Dirk outplayed him once in 6 series

And he did not "wax" Wade, Dirk was def better in the clutch but Wade had more points, assists, steals, blocks, less turnovers and shot a much high efficiency than Dirk in 2011, after completely outplaying him in '06

Phoenix
05-15-2021, 10:13 PM
'87 MJ and '11 KD were much better players than '11 Kobe so your point is moot. Kobe was a shell by then. Durant and Jordan were both in the start of their primes.

But if you want to say Dirk beat prime Kobe fine. I think they were the same age in 2011 anyway. That only adds to the point. Dirk is the GOAT PF.

I said nothing about 2011 KD vs Kobe. Nor did I call 11 Kobe 'prime'. I said KD dropping 30 as a third year player didn't make it his peak. A players peak is the convergence of their physical and mental abilities, experience and skillset. That wouldn't describe a 22 year old KD 3 years into his career just because he was 'hanging 30' early on. You're talking like Dirk outplayed 2017 KD.

Phoenix
05-15-2021, 10:22 PM
Damn, you're salty that he didn't even mention Kawhi, eh?

Dude has this weird anti-Duncan/pro-Kawhi agenda. Must have wanted to slit his wrist when Timmy failed to even mention Kahwi once.:lol

SouBeachTalents
05-15-2021, 10:25 PM
Dude has this weird anti-Duncan/pro-Kawhi agenda. Must have wanted to slit his wrist when Timmy failed to even mention Kahwi once.:lol
Why would he, he was already a HOF lock when Kawhi was still in middle school. Plus his choke at the FT line cost him a 4th FMVP in 2013

mehyaM24
05-15-2021, 11:05 PM
i would say duncan. thought he was overrated in his prime, and used to say garnett would replicate similar success. over the years i've changed my stance though. duncan had better longevity & leadership. that and his teams continued to be successful in large part because of his presence. duncan was clearly a better scorer too. scoring is one thing kg should have done more of. he had the necessary skills just not the mentality.

tpols
05-15-2021, 11:40 PM
Please, when Duncan was in his prime he outplayed Dirk by a clear margin in those first 3 playoff matchups, Dirk outplayed him once in 6 series

And he did not "wax" Wade, Dirk was def better in the clutch but Wade had more points, assists, steals, blocks, less turnovers and shot a much high efficiency than Dirk in 2011, after completely outplaying him in '06

Wade was given 2nd option defensive coverage while Dirk was being double and triple teamed basically. Its crazy to think Wade outplayed him especially how he went Casper in the clutch while Dirk turned into MJ down the stretch of every game. Yes... he waxed Wade. If you swapped the two and gave Dirk the Heat they wouldve swept Wade and the Mavs. 26 ppg is weak when you're being left on an island. Dirk had to overcome a super team and defense that was totally zoned in on him.

ShawkFactory
05-16-2021, 01:26 AM
Wade was given 2nd option defensive coverage while Dirk was being double and triple teamed basically. Its crazy to think Wade outplayed him especially how he went Casper in the clutch while Dirk turned into MJ down the stretch of every game. Yes... he waxed Wade. If you swapped the two and gave Dirk the Heat they wouldve swept Wade and the Mavs. 26 ppg is weak when you're being left on an island. Dirk had to overcome a super team and defense that was totally zoned in on him.

2011 isn’t the best version of Wade though. His whole mantra of “fall down 7 times, get up 8” was already starting to take its toll by 2010.

He was obviously an incredible talent and that will take you well into your 30s regardless. But 24-27 year old Wade is the peak. And he was still hurt regularly during those years.

ImKobe
05-16-2021, 09:12 AM
Why would he, he was already a HOF lock when Kawhi was still in middle school. Plus his choke at the FT line cost him a 4th FMVP in 2013

I agree with this, though Kawhi deserves a lot of credit for getting Duncan/Spurs back into title contention, they wouldn't have been in either of those Finals or at least in a position to win them without him.

BigShotBob
05-16-2021, 09:17 AM
Duncan doesn't belong down in the mud with Garnett and Malone. Should have added Barkley instead of him.

ZionDunks
05-16-2021, 02:20 PM
I liked them all.

Garnett first few years with Twolves seemed God like to me.

Duncan in years 2-3 paired with Admiral seemed really cool.

Malone, well least exciting but scoring machine

Thenameless
05-16-2021, 10:12 PM
Duncan doesn't belong down in the mud with Garnett and Malone. Should have added Barkley instead of him.

Correct. He separates himself into a tier of his own among power forwards.

kawhileonard2
05-16-2021, 10:13 PM
Duncan
Malone
KG