PDA

View Full Version : Steph 4th player ever w/ multiple MVPs, rings, scoring titles. Top 15 GOAT now?

Dr. Cheesesteak
05-16-2021, 06:25 PM
After today, being the 4th player to ever have multiple MVPs, rings, and scoring titles (joining MJ, Wilt, and Kareem), I think I have to consider Steph somewhere in that 2nd tier of All-time players, in that #8-15ish range.

I haven't followed posts here or elsewhere, really, but was he already considered up there? I figured most ppl had him maybe in the #15-30 range. But I think he should be up there in that 2nd tier w/ Duncan, Zeke, Baylor, Oscar, etc. Grouped up just outside the Top 7~8 or so?

Your thoughts?

ImKobe
05-16-2021, 06:28 PM
Was top 15 for me before the season. 2x MVP, 3x champion and the greatest shooter ever. 5 straight Finals in the West. 16 - 1 title run. That 73-9 season is also something no one else did and the 400+ threes in a season record will likely not be broken for a long time.

hold this L
05-16-2021, 06:34 PM
Was top 15 before this season, getting a scoring title at 33 with 3 other top 10s, having that legendary run in April-May puts him in the 11-12th.

Dr. Cheesesteak
05-16-2021, 06:34 PM
Was top 15 for me before the season. 2x MVP, 3x champion and the greatest shooter ever. 5 straight Finals in the West. 16 - 1 title run. That 73-9 season is also something no one else did and the 400+ threes in a season record will likely not be broken for a long time.
Yeah, he really already had a great career before this season. Maybe I was subconsciously influenced too much by all the threads here always ripping on him and thought they reflected how most other NBA fans thought too lol. I know ESPN has always sucked on his junk hard, tho. But ESPN also kinda sus, so...

And1AllDay
05-16-2021, 06:38 PM
Was top 15 before this season, getting a scoring title at 33 with 3 other top 10s, having that legendary run in April-May puts him in the 11-12th.

theres no room in top 12 for a non finals mvp winner

bran = 4
russell = 4? (11 rings, award named after him)
kobe = 2
shaq = 3
mike = 6
duncan = 3
hakeem = 2
bird = 2
magic = 3
kareem = 2

1 but still top 12
wilt = 1
west = 1

no room for a zero finals mvp winner

we can still vote in

kawhi = 2
durant = 2
dirk = 1

maybe malone over curry as well. curry is hovering top 25-30

Manny98
05-16-2021, 06:39 PM
Already top 15, arguably top 10 after this season

Will go down as the greatest offensive player ever in my eyes and the best player under 6'5

Bankaii
05-16-2021, 06:40 PM
There’s zero argument for Steph being top 11.

Dr. Cheesesteak
05-16-2021, 06:40 PM
Maybe I was subconsciously influenced too much by all the threads here always ripping on him and thought they reflected how most other NBA fans thought too lol.

maybe malone over curry as well. curry is hovering top 25-30
yeah, this the kinda garbage I was talking about. Like, this has to be a super minority opinion, right? Troll or not.

mehyaM24
05-16-2021, 06:41 PM
top 15 imo. if klay was healthy golden state would've made an interesting run. not saying they win it all, but under these conditions you never know.

ImKobe
05-16-2021, 06:48 PM
Yeah, he really already had a great career before this season. Maybe I was subconsciously influenced too much by all the threads here always ripping on him and thought they reflected how most other NBA fans thought too lol. I know ESPN has always sucked on his junk hard, tho. But ESPN also kinda sus, so...

Yeah, ISH is a VERY small minority, mostly insecure Lebron/Jordan/Kobe stans, who hate on anyone coming up that could be in the conversation with them. It's hard to rank players these days with all the new greats coming up. Obviously it's easier to put up numbers and all that, but Curry has the numbers + the rings/MVPs to back it up.

And1AllDay
05-16-2021, 06:51 PM
yeah, this the kinda garbage I was talking about. Like, this has to be a super minority opinion, right? Troll or not.

i mean bruh, cant we say you need at least 1 finals mvp to be top 15? seems reasonable

Bronbron23
05-16-2021, 06:54 PM
After today, being the 4th player to ever have multiple MVPs, rings, and scoring titles (joining MJ, Wilt, and Kareem), I think I have to consider Steph somewhere in that 2nd tier of All-time players, in that #8-15ish range.

I haven't followed posts here or elsewhere, really, but was he already considered up there? I figured most ppl had him maybe in the #15-30 range. But I think he should be up there in that 2nd tier w/ Duncan, Zeke, Baylor, Oscar, etc. Grouped up just outside the Top 7~8 or so?

Your thoughts?

I'm fine with 15. No way in hell he's a top 10 though

tpols
05-16-2021, 07:01 PM
Guys around 15 are like Garnett, Moses, Dirk etc. and Curry has more accolades and as many championships as all of them combined. Easy top 15.

Dr. Cheesesteak
05-16-2021, 07:25 PM
i mean bruh, cant we say you need at least 1 finals mvp to be top 15? seems reasonable
It sounds reasonable, but where does the "mandatory criteria" stop? What else is required? What player actually HAS all the requirements if you were to make a list w/o cherrypicking players' resumes? I mean...Tony Parker and Joe Dumars have Finals MVPs, multiple rings, etc. Should they be ranked higher than Steph?

But speaking of Dumars, you didn't even list Isiah! Zeke was a beast and is so overlooked by ppl nowadays, I honestly think just b/c he was a short PG. It's like no one cares about accomplishments for short PG's. Some ppl have Nash, AI, and Stockton on the same level or even higher than Zeke. And ppl don't REALLY care if CP3 ever wins a title, let's face it.

There is a bias against shorter players, and I'm actually okay w/ that. Wings and bigs truly affect the game more and are expected to be the players the team is built around. But I also think that is why Steph sometimes doesn't get the historical respect he should from general fans.

StrongLurk
05-16-2021, 07:26 PM
Steph is somewhere in the top 15-20, but idk maybe he is even better. Thing is it's REALLY hard to get even better on the all time list at this point.

I respect the hell out of him regardless.

Stephonit
05-16-2021, 07:46 PM
If you are a top 10 player of all-time you should be able to claim to be the best at something related to basketball and have records. Steph can lay claim to many such distinctions. What about the other guys?

The most objective criteria not based on opinions or narratives point to Steph being a top 10 player ever.

hold this L
05-16-2021, 07:52 PM
It sounds reasonable, but where does the "mandatory criteria" stop? What else is required? What player actually HAS all the requirements if you were to make a list w/o cherrypicking players' resumes? I mean...Tony Parker and Joe Dumars have Finals MVPs, multiple rings, etc. Should they be ranked higher than Steph?

But speaking of Dumars, you didn't even list Isiah! Zeke was a beast and is so overlooked by ppl nowadays, I honestly think just b/c he was a short PG. It's like no one cares about accomplishments for short PG's. Some ppl have Nash, AI, and Stockton on the same level or even higher than Zeke. And ppl don't REALLY care if CP3 ever wins a title, let's face it.

There is a bias against shorter players, and I'm actually okay w/ that. Wings and bigs truly affect the game more and are expected to be the players the team is built around. But I also think that is why Steph sometimes doesn't get the historical respect he should from general fans.
Zeke is constantly disrespected by NBA fans, it's disgusting.

kawhileonard2
05-16-2021, 08:47 PM
He turned a franchise known for losing into a dynasty. He wasn't a coward and left the franchise that drafted him to try to win elsewhere for his first ring.

72-10
05-16-2021, 08:54 PM
22nd, still doesn't play defense that well, half the game

still doesn't finish well
still doesn't rebound

HBK_Kliq_2
05-16-2021, 08:57 PM
Due to his poor defense, no finals MVPS, biggest chokejob in nba history in 2016, no memorable big playoff shots.

I would put him in roughly the top 45 alltime.

Gohan
05-16-2021, 09:26 PM
Due to his poor defense, no finals MVPS, biggest chokejob in nba history in 2016, no memorable big playoff shots.

So, is kwahit must not even be top 75

And1AllDay
05-16-2021, 10:28 PM

bruh i was just starting quick list off the top of my head but who are you putting curry ahead of then

2 fmvp or more krew
bran = 4
russell = 4? (11 rings, award named after him)
kobe = 2
shaq = 3
mike = 6
duncan = 3
hakeem = 2
bird = 2
magic = 3
kareem = 2

1 fmvp, but still top 12
wilt = 1
west = 1

we can still vote in other newer 1 or 2 fmvp players
kawhi = 2
durant = 2
dirk = 1

zero fmvp krew
malone
barkley
stockton

yes cornbred maxwell and iggy got fmvp but they don't have other stuff to get to top 12. im saying the fmvp is a main criteria to be top 12 not that its an automatic lock in? big diff

Phoenix
05-16-2021, 10:33 PM

You're an idiot.

deathawaitu
05-16-2021, 11:00 PM
General consensus curry is top 15 and above Lebron

2much_knowledge
05-17-2021, 10:46 AM
Steph is somewhere in the top 15-20, but idk maybe he is even better. Thing is it's REALLY hard to get even better on the all time list at this point.

I respect the hell out of him regardless.

Basically this

Rysio
05-17-2021, 11:30 AM
In no defense era he might just be but I seriously doubt he would be anywhere as successful in a tough defense era like 95-04.

Ainosterhaspie
05-17-2021, 12:19 PM
He's a little light on longevity and durability, and his game lacks resiliency compared to the highest level guys. If his shot is off he doesn't have a fall back way of effecting the game like the others in the highest tier. The other ATGs could fall back on high level defense or playmaking when they were having bad scoring nights. Curry falters there.

When things are going well he's in the same class with all of them. When they aren't, he drops below.

Stephonit
05-17-2021, 01:04 PM
He's a little light on longevity and durability, and his game lacks resiliency compared to the highest level guys. If his shot is off he doesn't have a fall back way of effecting the game like the others in the highest tier. The other ATGs could fall back on high level defense or playmaking when they were having bad scoring nights. Curry falters there.

When things are going well he's in the same class with all of them. When they aren't, he drops below.

Steph's playmaking ability is the most resilient of anyone.

Cold soul
05-17-2021, 01:53 PM

Agreed! I feel Curry is a little overrated and doesn’t impact the game as good as other ATG if his shooting is off his impact dramatically decreased and Curry is a average defender at best.

Zeppelin
05-17-2021, 02:02 PM
22nd, still doesn't play defense that well, half the game

still doesn't finish well
still doesn't rebound

You can't seriously believe that Curry doesn't finish well. (I assume you're talking about finishing at the rim where he is one of the very best point guards ever, and not finishing games where your point is more reasonable although I still think a bit overstated.)

Axe
05-17-2021, 04:22 PM

This. The biggest problem with him is that he becomes exposed when there's no more all-star help by his side, like what he's undergoing atm. He may still have good individual games with high scoring in the rs although it doesn't necessarily translate to enough wins where he would be crowned the season mvp. Also, many of his stains are so quick to point about the incompetence of his fresh blood teammates whenever his team isn't getting the results they wanted. This year, people will see how far he can go under pressure without the guidance of finals veterans. Those guys definitely helped him to become who he is nowadays but for sure, who wouldn't want their job to be much easier after all.

sundizz
05-17-2021, 04:50 PM
This. The biggest problem with him is that he becomes exposed when there's no more all-star help by his side, like what he's undergoing atm. He may still have good individual games with high scoring in the rs although it doesn't necessarily translate to enough wins where he would be crowned the season mvp. Also, many of his stains are so quick to point about the incompetence of his fresh blood teammates whenever his team isn't getting the results they wanted. This year, people will see how far he can go under pressure without the guidance of finals veterans. Those guys definitely helped him to become who he is nowadays but for sure, who wouldn't want their job to be much easier after all.

That’s what makes him so unique though. His ability to go over for 20 in a quarter is frightening. And when he’s not making shots the defense is still stretched so thin. The more the Warriors attack the offensive boards the better. The defense is so tilted from normal NBA standards that even him missing still creates positive offense. It’s not coincidence that the Warriors have continued improving.
He’s so unique that it takes players a while to figure out that you really need to become an excellent quick decision maker and passer when you play next to him. Almost every Warriors offensive plays ends in a Steph shot or a 4 versus 3 scenario. That’s insane to say because of the unique distance he creates for gravity.

Axe
05-17-2021, 05:07 PM
That’s what makes him so unique though. His ability to go over for 20 in a quarter is frightening. And when he’s not making shots the defense is still stretched so thin. The more the Warriors attack the offensive boards the better. The defense is so tilted from normal NBA standards that even him missing still creates positive offense. It’s not coincidence that the Warriors have continued improving.
He’s so unique that it takes players a while to figure out that you really need to become an excellent quick decision maker and passer when you play next to him. Almost every Warriors offensive plays ends in a Steph shot or a 4 versus 3 scenario. That’s insane to say because of the unique distance he creates for gravity.
Maybe but too bad time had to prove ultimately that no dynasties last forever and for the warriors, that has been over for them two years ago. I think it's also worth mentioning that he doesn't have a 50-point game yet in the playoffs. And like i said in another thread, just when he declines in his postseason shooting nights, there are other useful teammates that could bail him out. But that was in the past so not anymore tho.

tanibanana
05-17-2021, 08:19 PM
Definitely Top-12. Curry is locked at top 11-12 right now.

With the NBA history getting deeper as years passed by, there will come a time that the top-5 players are arguably as good as the top 11-15.
In the 90s you could hear Moses Malone and Julius Erving name frequently in the top-10-ish player, now people barely put them in top-15. This is due to them getting bump down by the 90s, 00s, 10s great players.

These players are lock top-9 (MJ, LBJ, Magic, Duncan, KAJ, Bird, Wilt, Bill, Kobe)

RRR3
05-17-2021, 10:41 PM

With the NBA history getting deeper as years passed by, there will come a time that the top-5 players are arguably as good as the top 11-15.
In the 90s you could hear Moses Malone and Julius Erving name frequently in the top-10-ish player, now people barely put them in top-15. This is due to them getting bump down by the 90s, 00s, 10s great players.

These players are lock top-9 (MJ, LBJ, Magic, Duncan, KAJ, Bird, Wilt, Bill, Kobe)
The disrespect to Shaq in this post yikes.

hold this L
05-18-2021, 12:01 AM

Your top 9 is the same as mine, but I'd have Shaq in there to complete the top 10.