PDA

View Full Version : Lebron's game-winning shot last night proves once and for all...

theman93
05-20-2021, 10:54 AM
That in game 1 of the 2018 Finals when Lebron directed JR Smith to pass the ball to George Hill instead of demanding the ball was a mistake.

Both games were tied.

Both games Lebron had only a few seconds to get the shot up.

Both shots would have been from near equal distance.

It's time we all finally all come together and agree what a massive mistake that was by Lebron.

FultzNationRISE
05-20-2021, 11:02 AM
Interesting thought, OP.

Btw, I need help with a thing, come on over here and let's take a little walk.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DelayedOldKakapo-small.gif

Airupthere
05-20-2021, 11:12 AM
This was a lucky shot. Lebron's shooting was off in the last few minutes. He claims he had been hit on his eyes. It didn't seem like he was trying to will that 3pt shot. It just so happens the shot went in. Not necessarily the right decision for Lebron in any other game.

theman93
05-20-2021, 11:19 AM
This was a lucky shot. Lebron's shooting was off in the last few minutes. He claims he had been hit on his eyes. It didn't seem like he was trying to will that 3pt shot. It just so happens the shot went in. Not necessarily the right decision for Lebron in any other game.

In that game 1 Finals Lebron had it going having scored 49 points up until that point, had no eye "issues", and still deferred to a roll player that just choked a go-ahead free throw. Demanding the ball couldn't have been a more correct decision there.

HoopsNY
05-20-2021, 11:23 AM
LeBron is one of the most clutch players in NBA history. Deal with it. He continues to show his utter greatness and dominance over the league in year 18. If you start a team, you want him on it, period.

Airupthere
05-20-2021, 11:30 AM
In that game 1 Finals Lebron had it going having scored 49 points up until that point, had no eye "issues", and still deferred to a roll player that just choked a go-ahead free throw. Demanding the ball couldn't have been a more correct decision there.

I dont think Lebron is ever really confident in taking a final shot. Sure he's made some here and there but he as never natural at it. Never had that killer instinct. If it goes in, he makes a narrative. If it doesn't, then that is what he's afraid about.

Walk on Water
05-20-2021, 11:35 AM
LeBron is one of the most clutch players in NBA history. Deal with it. He continues to show his utter greatness and dominance over the league in year 18. If you start a team, you want him on it, period.

He hit a lucky shot last night. Wasn’t exactly clutch. You take some and some will go.

ShawkFactory
05-20-2021, 11:42 AM
He hit a lucky shot last night. Wasn’t exactly clutch. You take some and some will go.

Sounds like the point of taking a shot in any basketball game ever.

Hey Yo
05-20-2021, 11:42 AM

It was the game winner in your hero's face.

:roll:

sdot_thadon
05-20-2021, 11:58 AM

Damn did you just describe every single gamewinner in nba history? What a gentleman and a scholar, someone get this man a drink.....

Cold soul
05-20-2021, 12:03 PM

Lebron hit a game winner in your favorite players face just like Kyrie did back in 2016 NBA Finals. Deal with it....

Airupthere
05-20-2021, 12:05 PM
Lebron hit a game winner in your favorite players face just like Kyrie did back in 2016 NBA Finals. Deal with it....

Don't insult Kyrie's shot like that. Kyrie wanted that shot. He looked for it and was confident in making it. Lebron's was like, oh shit I'm open, alright I'll just put up the shot.

Airupthere
05-20-2021, 12:18 PM

Hoops, do you ever really view Lebron as a guy during clutch where you would go "Oh he's got this. He's taking this shot, everyone move aside. Make or break he's going for it." Lebron is not that kind of guy. He will sometimes take the ball during clutch moments but you're never really sure what he'll do. He can wimp out at any given time. The approach to it compared to a really clutch player is different.

HoopsNY
05-20-2021, 12:20 PM

Most shots of that nature can be deemed lucky. But how "lucky" are you if you continuously hit them? LeBron has been successful at such shots throughout his career. This isn't some anomaly. He's a big game player. His play during the playoffs, finals, game 7s, and elimination games prove it. This is just icing on the cake as far as I see it.

HoopsNY
05-20-2021, 12:22 PM
Hoops, do you ever really view Lebron as a guy during clutch where you would go "Oh he's got this. He's taking this shot, everyone move aside. Make or break he's going for it." Lebron is not that kind of guy. He will sometimes take the ball during clutch moments but you're never really sure what he'll do. He can wimp out at any given time. The approach to it compared to a really clutch player is different.

Absolutely. Why not? Just because he didn't build that reputation for his first 6-7 seasons, doesn't mean that he hasn't developed that reputation since.

I think the problem here is that you're comparing him to the likes of KD, Kobe, or MJ. He doesn't have to have that killer instinct to that level of those guys in order to be considered clutch. If we want to compare him to those guys, then that would be one thing. But diminishing his status as a clutch player because of such comparisons isn't really being fair.

RogueBorg
05-20-2021, 12:22 PM
LeBron James was so shook at the end of game 7, he's almost hiding in the crowd as Kyrie lifts the heavy load

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kIF8zcj_J4Y/maxresdefault.jpg

Kyrie had no intentions of passing LBJ the ball because...

Irving made headlines when he told Durant that he felt like “the best option on every team I’ve played for down the stretch,” adding that playing with Durant was “the first time in my career where I can look down and be like, ‘That mother—– can make that shot too.” Let’s not forget that Kyrie Irving played with LeBron James.

ImKobe
05-20-2021, 12:29 PM
Most shots of that nature can be deemed lucky. But how "lucky" are you if you continuously hit them? LeBron has been successful at such shots throughout his career. This isn't some anomaly. He's a big game player. His play during the playoffs, finals, game 7s, and elimination games prove it. This is just icing on the cake as far as I see it.

Of course there's luck involved, a 30+ ft shot like that is not a high-percentage look. It might be for Dame or Steph, but those guys don't get left open. If you're in a tie game situation like the Warriors were, this is the shot you want Lebron taking, especially in a game where it looked like he didn't have his legs under him. He deserves credit for making it, but please don't act like he'd make it every time. He hasn't made a single game-winning shot in the Finals, he misses 30% of his FTs in crunch time.

Airupthere
05-20-2021, 12:29 PM
Absolutely. Why not? Just because he didn't build that reputation for his first 6-7 seasons, doesn't mean that he hasn't developed that reputation since.

I think the problem here is that you're comparing him to the likes of KD, Kobe, or MJ. He doesn't have to have that killer instinct to that level of those guys in order to be considered clutch. If we want to compare him to those guys, then that would be one thing. But diminishing from his status as a clutch player because of such comparisons isn't really being fair.

I understand you're giving the man due respect and you've been one of the more balanced posters on here. However, I don't think Lebron has ever really developed that reputation of a closer, ever. He has never been that consistent and resolved in these clutch type situations. As I say, one game he can go for it, in another he could wimp out or play hot potato. He's not bad at clutch. He's too selective is what it is. Too conscious of the repercussions.

Cold soul
05-20-2021, 12:30 PM
Don't insult Kyrie's shot like that. Kyrie wanted that shot. He looked for it and was confident in making it. Lebron's was like, oh shit I'm open, alright I'll just put up the shot.

My point was it happened on Curry that's all I'm saying.

theman93
05-20-2021, 12:37 PM
I dont think Lebron is ever really confident in taking a final shot. Sure he's made some here and there but he as never natural at it. Never had that killer instinct. If it goes in, he makes a narrative. If it doesn't, then that is what he's afraid about.

This is true.

For as much as people tout him as being a clutch player you'd think he would demand the ball in a tied game with the seconds ticking down instead of deferring to a role player that just choked away a go-ahead free throw.

In the Finals he's had Allen and Irving come to his rescue, and then tried to have George Hill do the same. Why does he need so many teammates to come to his rescue at the end of games in the Finals?

8Ball
05-20-2021, 12:40 PM
No luck in that shot.

All skill.

ShawkFactory
05-20-2021, 12:43 PM
Of course there's luck involved, a 30+ ft shot like that is not a high-percentage look. It might be for Dame or Steph, but those guys don't get left open. If you're in a tie game situation like the Warriors were, this is the shot you want Lebron taking, especially in a game where it looked like he didn't have his legs under him. He deserves credit for making it, but please don't act like he'd make it every time. He hasn't made a single game-winning shot in the Finals, he misses 30% of his FTs in crunch time.

This is why the clutch discussion is often dumb. No, he's not going to make that shot every time. He probably makes 33% or so of such shots in his career, so we can expect it to go in at approximately that rate.

When he misses 2/3 people are quick to call him a choker, as opposed to simply looking the statistical probability of him making that shot. So this does go both ways.

Being clutch doesn't mean you make a higher % of your shots in crunch time. It's simply not being deterred from such situations. If he has a 1/3 of making a three then sometimes, given how the defense reacts or how the flow of the game is going, it makes sense to opt for something with a higher conversion percentage. Regardless of what that may be. It doesn't necessarily mean that he "afraid" to take a tough shot.

To me being clutch simply is the absence of choking. An 85% FT shooter missing two at the end of the game, blowing a layup because you feel footsteps behind you etc. But even then you can argue that some of these occurrences can be statistically explained, despite being outliers.

tpols
05-20-2021, 12:53 PM
He actually had Curry on an island inside the arc too. Curry ****ed up though last night on that play. Why leave LeBron wide open like that when the ball handler was stuck in no mans land? You basically gave him a free out. :facepalm If he would stuck to LeBron the ball handler wouldve had nobody to pass to, and I'm pretty sure it was a scrub role player too so he likely wouldve ****ed up and turned it over.

HoopsNY
05-20-2021, 01:08 PM
I understand you're giving the man due respect and you've been one of the more balanced posters on here. However, I don't think Lebron has ever really developed that reputation of a closer, ever. He has never been that consistent and resolved in these clutch type situations. As I say, one game he can go for it, in another he could wimp out or play hot potato. He's not bad at clutch. He's too selective is what it is. Too conscious of the repercussions.

Honestly, if KD wasn't in the league, would you be saying this? I'm not denying that he doesn't stack up where that attitude is concerned against some guys like KD, Kobe, or MJ. But that doesn't mean we write him off as a clutch player. Furthermore, the data indicates that he is clutch.

HoopsNY
05-20-2021, 01:09 PM
No luck in that shot.

All skill.

Go away. Grown men are talking. Just as some posters can deem everything LeBron does in crunch time as "luck", so too posters like yourself who think it's "all skill." Don't you have an NBA 2k game to play or something?

HoopsNY
05-20-2021, 01:12 PM

Fair points. I certainly don't believe he'd make it every time, but this also isn't the first time he's drained a three pointer in a critical game. Either way, he has developed himself over the years regarding his clutch stats. We can't take that away from him, even if some of those buckets happen to involve luck. And I also don't think it's fair that posters rely heavily on comparing him to past greats when all that matters is who is in the league now.

RRR3
05-20-2021, 01:16 PM
He misses 30% of his FTs period you ****ing idiot.

8Ball
05-20-2021, 01:19 PM
Go away. Grown men are talking. Just as some posters can deem everything LeBron does in crunch time as "luck", so too posters like yourself who think it's "all skill." Don't you have an NBA 2k game to play or something?

No luck in that shot.

All skill.

Shooter
05-20-2021, 02:11 PM
Ohhhh, it's good!

LeBron James from wayyy downtown!

Lakers lead with under a minute remaining.

:lebronamazed:

3ball
05-20-2021, 02:14 PM
No luck in that shot.

All skill.

Another open three - the only kind he takes

And I wasn't surprised to see that it was a zero-pressure shot taken with a minute left.. He's just lucky that he was facing the only guy that chokes more than him - Curry

ScottieQuitting
05-20-2021, 02:17 PM
That in game 1 of the 2018 Finals when Lebron directed JR Smith to pass the ball to George Hill instead of demanding the ball was a mistake.

Both games were tied.

It's time we all finally all come together and agree what a massive mistake that was by Lebron.
That’s because THAT shot would’ve actually meant some thing. It was on the biggest stage imaginable. And that was scary for him. Playing not to fail as opposed to playing to win.

Shooter
05-20-2021, 02:18 PM
Another open three - the only kind he takes

And I wasn't surprised to see that it was a zero-pressure shot taken with a minute left.. He's just lucky that he was facing the only guy that chokes more than him - Curry

Tissue?

RRR3
05-20-2021, 02:28 PM
That’s because THAT shot would’ve actually meant some thing. It was on the biggest stage imaginable. And that was scary for him. Playing not to fail as opposed to playing to win.
Rough night for you eh coach?

Spurs m8
05-20-2021, 05:45 PM
Well, there was still a minute left in this game.

That game henpribanly would have missed...though the score was tied, he does hit them sometimes when it's not 'hit or lose'

Having said that, it still went to OT where he went SCORELESS lol

paksat
05-20-2021, 05:47 PM
he hit that shit with what? 58 seconds left?

this was not an end of buzzer shot....

WhiteKyrie
05-20-2021, 06:02 PM
LeBron James was so shook at the end of game 7, he's almost hiding in the crowd as Kyrie lifts the heavy load

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kIF8zcj_J4Y/maxresdefault.jpg

Kyrie had no intentions of passing LBJ the ball because...

Irving made headlines when he told Durant that he felt like “the best option on every team I’ve played for down the stretch,” adding that playing with Durant was “the first time in my career where I can look down and be like, ‘That mother—– can make that shot too.” Let’s not forget that Kyrie Irving played with LeBron James.
Thus why LeBron fans hate him

3ball
05-20-2021, 06:49 PM
Lebron isn't capable of a winner on the championship level

SATAN
05-20-2021, 07:47 PM

Both games were tied.

What?

He was open and had his hands open for the ball and JR just kept dribbling like a dumb ass. Defense started getting back to LeBron and Hill dashed to the corner where he was very briefly open. At least that's what I remember.

Axe
05-21-2021, 05:17 AM
he hit that shit with what? 58 seconds left?

this was not an end of buzzer shot....
Otoh, curry celebrated as if they won after nailing a three at the end of first half. Then the rest was history.

Not exactly iconic either, don't you think.