PDA

View Full Version : The 2011-2012 Philadelphia 76ers were an interesting team

Im Still Ballin
05-21-2021, 07:59 PM
35-31 in the lockout shortened 66 game season. They had the 5th best SRS and net rating though. According to Basketball Reference, their expected record should have been 43-23. They lost a lot of close games, while winning in blow outs frequently.

SRS: 3.59 (5th of 30) Pace: 89.7 (24th of 30)

Off Rtg: 103.9 (20th of 30) Def Rtg: 99.2 (3rd of 30) Net Rtg: +4.7 (5th of 30)

Expected W-L: 43-23 (5th of 30)

They also started the season 20-9, leading the league in SRS and net rating I believe. I couldn't find a Wayback Machine link for when they were 20 and 9, but there was one for when they were 12-5.

SRS: 9.87 (1st of 30) ▪ Pace: 92.1 (14th of 30)
Off Rtg: 107.9 (2nd of 30) ▪ Def Rtg: 95.0 (1st of 30)
Expected W-L: 15-2 (1st of 30)

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20120126034648/https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHI/2012.html

Went 7 games in the 2nd round against Boston in the playoffs.

They were a lockdown defensive squad that played great team defense -- even if they lacked quality defensive bigmen. Solid positionally, with great perimeter and wing coverage.

Featured names like Andre Igoudala, Jrue Holiday, Elton Brand, Thaddeus Young, Evan Turner, Lou Williams, and Spencer Hawes. A young Vucevic was also on the team, deep in the rotation.

Nothing special offensively -- but they slowed the pace, passed the ball, made jump shots, and protected the ball. In fact, they had the least turnovers per game, plus the lowest turnover percentage. They lacked a true scoring threat that could collapse the defensive and force rotations.

I used to think this team wasn't that good, and that they overachieved in the playoffs because of Rose's injury. They did, that's true -- but they were better then I remembered. Had they won more of the close games they'd have definitely been a higher seed.

5th best SRS and net rating, 3rd best in the east, behind only Miami and Chicago.

Some of the notable wins they had that regular season:

- Chicago
- Lakers
- Indiana x 2
- Orlando
- Atlanta x 3
- Boston x 2
- New York
- Utah

Playoffs:

- 4-2 Chicago
- 3-4 Boston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK5pfHXc9Sc

fourkicks44
05-21-2021, 08:03 PM
I respect those guys and what they got out of themselves.

But their ceiling was so low. They were never gonna contend for a title running with that squad.

Looking at back now and comparing what the Sixers are now, the Process is completely vindicated.

GrayGoat
05-21-2021, 08:07 PM
Interesting.

ImKobe
05-21-2021, 08:13 PM
It was a lockout season so teams were playing B2B2B games, which benefited young teams like the Sixers at the time.

Axe
05-21-2021, 08:13 PM
Who would have thought three years after that season, iggy in another team would make his first trip to the finals en route to a title and win a finals mvp as well?

Im Still Ballin
05-22-2021, 12:13 PM

But their ceiling was so low. They were never gonna contend for a title running with that squad.

Looking at back now and comparing what the Sixers are now, the Process is completely vindicated.

Good take.

GOBB
05-22-2021, 03:35 PM
That team was stuck in mediocrity. I miss Sam Hinkie for he saw that team and decided to f*ck the idiotic system and build a title contender. He doesn’t get run out of town by clowns/the league. This team is most likely even BETTER. Perhaps FAVORED to win it all.

pandiani17
05-22-2021, 03:38 PM
It was a very good team, very solid in every position. A big question would what would the 2012-2013 Sixers look like with a healthy Andrew Bynum (but without Iggy).

hateraid
05-22-2021, 03:47 PM

I agree. The core was good and it was a solid basketball TEAM. However you always had the feeling that it was a doorstep team with no franchise type leader. Had we given them all long term contracts we wouldn't be the powerhouse we are today. It was a poor man's late 00s Detroit Pistons