PDA

View Full Version : I have mixed feelings about Steph

Spain_
05-22-2021, 08:55 AM
Last night's loss to Memphis has reignited the "Curry is overrated" discussion.

I honestly don't know if he overrated or not, but what I can certainly say about him is that in terms of eye test he has always turned me off.
His shot selection is objectively terrible, even though he usually shoots a high % , his playmaking overrated and overall as an on ball offensive I dont enjoy watching him play at all.

I'm still impressed by what he has actually acheived though, he basically had to develop his unwatchable playstyle to get to the NBA, because physical tools wise he just can't play proper measured basketball and be successful on this level.
So I can't help but respect the hustle, even though he has made basketball overall worse, in my opinion.

Spain_
05-22-2021, 08:59 AM
I really hope as he retires and a lot of the players that play that video game style keep underpreforming in the post season the sport can find a happy medium between shooting a lot of 3s and playing actual basketball.

This year with some of the best players in the league (Jokic, Joel, CP3) playing that way has been encouraging.

Stanley Kobrick
05-22-2021, 08:59 AM
this is just who stephen curry is in the post season when physicality picks up and teams suffocate him. he gets rattled and reckless. 33yo, 120+ playoff games and people still get confused why he doesn't have his regular season 50 point games versus #2 seed teams playoff teams in tight games, but an abundance vs #13 seed Kings in the regular season when it doesn't matter

regular season superstar

8Ball
05-22-2021, 09:03 AM
His play making is subpar. His scoring ability is elite.

Spain_
05-22-2021, 09:05 AM

In the postseasos it isnt nearly as elite

Spain_
05-22-2021, 09:06 AM
this is just who stephen curry is in the post season when physicality picks up and teams suffocate him. he gets rattled and reckless. 33yo, 120+ playoff games and people still get confused why he doesn't have his regular season 50 point games versus #2 seed teams playoff teams in tight games, but an abundance vs #13 seed Kings in the regular season when it doesn't matter

regular season superstar

regular season superstar

This, I dislike chuckers that cant carry their playstyle into the playoffs.
That's why Luka got me so hyped last year, because I thought he would be one of those Curry,Harden types that just arent as impactfull in meaningful bb.
It's another reason I rate Dame as equally as high as Steph and Harden.
Same with Jimmy, that can wins you playoff games.

Stanley Kobrick
05-22-2021, 09:07 AM
regular season superstar

That's why Luka got me so hyped last year, because I thought he would be one of those Curry,Harden types that just arent as impactfull in meaningful bb.
high IQ poast, welcome to the board Spain_ :cheers:

Spain_
05-22-2021, 09:08 AM
:cheers:

In retrospect I was stupid because I had gotten to see Luka elevate his play in meaingful bb while in Madrid and Slovenia.

Stanley Kobrick
05-22-2021, 09:11 AM
In retrospect I was stupid because I had gotten to see Luka elevate his play in meaingful bb while in Madrid and Slovenia.
we have several slovenian Pelican fan users on this board, but i believe bosniasajo and airtupac have been absent for some time

insight
05-22-2021, 09:16 AM
Steph did a tremendous job this year with a weak roster and lots of injuries. Memphis double him and he gave up the ball like he should but his team mates didn't step up and make plays. The last play in regulation was a prime example, Draymond had a wide open shot, the had two players on the strong side he could have kicked it out to for an open 3 and he throws up a brick from 10 feet. Golden State including Steph were too careless with the ball, constantly committing silly turnovers. Lebron James or any other top player not have done any better with Golden State, it is what it is.

Spain_
05-22-2021, 09:19 AM
Steph did a tremendous job this year with a weak roster and lots of injuries. Memphis double him and he gave up the ball like he should but his team mates didn't step up and make plays. The last play in regulation was a prime example, Draymond had a wide open shot, the had two players on the strong side he could have kicked it out to for an open 3 and he throws up a brick from 10 feet. Golden State including Steph were too careless with the ball, constantly committing silly turnovers. Lebron James or any other top player not have done any better with Golden State, it is what it is.

I disagree, a lot of players win that game for GSW.

Shooter
05-22-2021, 09:22 AM
He's missing his Pippen (Klay).

We've all seen what MJ did without his Klay (Pippen)

Sub 30 win seasons and 1st round exits galore.

insight
05-22-2021, 09:23 AM

Lebron barely beat Golden State with AD, and a superior roster but you believe he would have gotten done?

Shooter
05-22-2021, 09:23 AM
we have several slovenian Pelican fan users on this board, but i believe bosniasajo and airtupac have been absent for some time

:roll::roll::roll:

Stanley Kobrick
05-22-2021, 09:32 AM
:cheers:

RRR3
05-22-2021, 09:35 AM
Lebron barely beat Golden State with AD, and a superior roster but you believe he would have gotten done?
LeBron isn’t healthy.

insight
05-22-2021, 09:38 AM
LeBron isn’t healthy.

No Klay, No Wiseman, No Oubre the Lakers roster was healthier than Golden State.

Stanley Kobrick
05-22-2021, 09:41 AM
No Klay, No Wiseman, No Oubre the Lakers roster was healthier than Golden State.
lakers beat the piss out of Warrior without AD multiple times this season by halftime. stephen curry lost to a lakers team that never played together, practically coming into preseason. then he lost to 21yo ja morant with HCA

mehyaM24
05-22-2021, 09:48 AM
well he's a great scorer with all-time impact. without him, this warrior team is one of the worst in history. the problem i have with curry is his carelessness with the ball. too many nonchalant passes in big games, and his 7 turnovers yesterday were costly. his defense is also below average. morant went off for 35 so if we are being objective, curry's primary assignment gave him work.

ultimately though the play-in is weak. memphis got to face the spurs who i am sure the warriors would have beat (instead they faced the defending champs).

Bronbron23
05-22-2021, 10:25 AM

This

tpols
05-22-2021, 10:31 AM
39/5/5 on elite efficiency. Only a GOAT would get criticized for that.

RRR3
05-22-2021, 10:33 AM
39/5/5 on elite efficiency. Only a GOAT would get criticized for that.
So LeBron is a GOAT.

Trapped yourself.

tpols
05-22-2021, 10:36 AM
So LeBron is a GOAT.

Trapped yourself.

Exactly. LeBron got criticized for the Orlando series where he did exactly that. And LeBron is a top 10 GOAT. Only a retard (who isn't explicitly trolling) could say with a straight face that 39/5/5 wasn't enough. Curry did it while being doubled too. Dray had a wide open free throw line shot to win the game off curry double and he threw up one of the ugliest bricks of the season.

ThatCoolKid
05-22-2021, 10:41 AM
regular season superstar

So you're telling me you rate Dame as high as Steph when Steph has 3 chips and Dame is a career loser with a single WCF appearance? You rate Luka higher than Harden when Luka has never made it out of the first round and Harden has routinely been an MVP candidate and one man army leading his teams to top flight offenses and currently has the championship favorite Brooklyn Nets as the best offense in the history of the game when Harden is on the court and mediocre when he is injured? Low IQ posts.

RRR3
05-22-2021, 10:43 AM
Exactly. LeBron got criticized for the Orlando series where he did exactly that. And LeBron is a top 10 GOAT. Only a retard (who isn't explicitly trolling) could say with a straight face that 39/5/5 wasn't enough. Curry did it while being doubled too. Dray had a wide open free throw line shot to win the game off curry double and he threw up one of the ugliest bricks of the season.
Trapped yourself into admitting LeBron is top 10 lmaoooo. I love it. Curry did well but I’d defend him even if he didn’t tbh because the playin is unfair.

Spain_
05-22-2021, 11:49 AM
So you're telling me you rate Dame as high as Steph when Steph has 3 chips and Dame is a career loser with a single WCF appearance? You rate Luka higher than Harden when Luka has never made it out of the first round and Harden has routinely been an MVP candidate and one man army leading his teams to top flight offenses and currently has the championship favorite Brooklyn Nets as the best offense in the history of the game when Harden is on the court and mediocre when he is injured? Low IQ posts.

Give Luka or Dame Prime KD, they win multiple.

Lebron23
05-22-2021, 12:02 PM
2018 LeBron with the Warriors would have beaten the Grizzlies. How many points did Curry scored in OT last night?

fsvr54
05-22-2021, 12:44 PM
Wiggins was bricking all night. He makes one more of his 3s and they win the game.

bison
05-22-2021, 12:44 PM
Trapped yourself into admitting LeBron is top 10 lmaoooo. I love it. Curry did well but I’d defend him even if he didn’t tbh because the playin is unfair.

Well the 9th seed got into the playoffs. Wasn’t that the purpose of the play-in? Now lower mid tier teams know how important it is to try to secure a 6th seed, and even lower tiered teams now know that 10th seed is possibly worth fighting for. It increases competition on multiple levels. The Grizzlies could have easily tanked this season but now they have something to build on moving forward. And GSW will be a top 4 next season anyway with Klay back and Poole breaking out.

ArbitraryWater
05-22-2021, 12:46 PM
Last night's loss to Memphis has reignited the "Curry is overrated" discussion.

I honestly don't know if he overrated or not, but what I can certainly say about him is that in terms of eye test he has always turned me off.
His shot selection is objectively terrible, even though he usually shoots a high % , his playmaking overrated and overall as an on ball offensive I dont enjoy watching him play at all.

I'm still impressed by what he has actually acheived though, he basically had to develop his unwatchable playstyle to get to the NBA, because physical tools wise he just can't play proper measured basketball and be successful on this level.
So I can't help but respect the hustle, even though he has made basketball overall worse, in my opinion.

not in the real world, i think

warriorfan
05-22-2021, 04:12 PM
Low iq thread

Mr.GOAT2408
05-22-2021, 05:33 PM
He's great for his era and is an exciting player when he's on but you see so many put him on a pedestal he doesn't belong in, even in today's soft league his size is still a hinderance in the grand scheme of things. It's a wings/bigs league, no getting around that