PDA

View Full Version : Is it too early to start the conversation of Luka being the NBA's best player at 22?

The Hick
05-26-2021, 03:15 AM
I don't think so.

https://monophy.com/media/3Vo20DgknLowoo2quC/monophy.gif

It's time

HylianNightmare
05-26-2021, 03:24 AM
The great white hope

Sulico
05-26-2021, 03:27 AM
Luka is my second favourite player, but he have a long way to go to be best player in the NBA.

He obviously needs to improve from FT line, work on his dribble, improve his decision making and become at least respectable on D.

light
05-26-2021, 03:35 AM
That's not going to happen because of the first round. If he manages to do what LeBron did when he was 22 (make it to the finals) then I'm sure someone will start that conversation in earnest.

StrongLurk
05-26-2021, 08:32 AM
Luka still has more to do, but only Magic and Lebron were this good so early in their careers.

hold this L
05-26-2021, 08:37 AM
No way. I'll say if Luka beats the Clips, he is a superstar though (which there's only 7 or so in the league). It takes a lot to get there.

FireDavidKahn
05-26-2021, 03:05 PM
No way. I'll say if Luka beats the Clips, he is a superstar though (which there's only 7 or so in the league). It takes a lot to get there.

So Luka winning 2 more games is what would make him a superstar in your eyes? Not what he's already done in his career?:roll:

Luka is already a superstar

hold this L
05-26-2021, 04:02 PM
So Luka winning 2 more games is what would make him a superstar in your eyes? Not what he's already done in his career?:roll:

Luka is already a superstar

I consider only about 7 players superstars and look for time they put at a high level as well.

Objectivity
05-26-2021, 04:10 PM
I consider only about 7 players superstars and look for time they put at a high level as well.

Youre being autistic, Luka is far and away the best player in the league :rockon:

ArbitraryWater
05-26-2021, 04:12 PM
No its not.

If Luka makes the WCF, he is primed for this title.

tpols
05-26-2021, 04:21 PM
Luka is the most confident and in control orchestrator in the league. Kawhi doesn't have his passing. LeBron and Giannis don't have his shooting. Harden is the only guy I can think of that is close, but he chokes more in the playoffs. Isn't as headstrong. Neither is Durant. And Curry isn't big enough to bully any matchup. Luka just has it all at once. He's like Aaron Rodgers in basketball form.

ArbitraryWater
05-26-2021, 04:22 PM
Luka is the most confident and in control orchestrator in the league. Kawhi doesn't have his passing. LeBron and Giannis don't have his shooting. Harden is the only guy I can think of that is close, but he chokes more in the playoffs. Isn't as headstrong. Neither is Durant. And Curry isn't big enough to bully any matchup. Luka just has it all at once. He's like Aaron Rodgers in basketball form.

false

tpols
05-26-2021, 04:23 PM
false

Sorry guy but LeBron can't shoot like Luka. You put Anthony Davis on the Mavs and they would sweep to a title.

ArbitraryWater
05-26-2021, 04:26 PM
Sorry guy but LeBron can't shoot like Luka. You put Anthony Davis on the Mavs and they would sweep to a title.

sure he doesnt shoot exactly like him but he's on the same tier

yesterday was all J's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqXsKMdQMww

and AD is trash rn, they wouldnt sweep shit, especially not against Brooklyn.

scuzzy
05-26-2021, 04:28 PM
Luka isn't even a good shooter, he's a chucker

But seeing as you didn't even know how Booker played prior to this series, or Westbrick last year, who are we kidding here :oldlol:

LAmbruh
05-26-2021, 04:35 PM

But seeing as you didn't even know how Booker played prior to this series, or Westbrick last year, who are we kidding here :oldlol:
Tpols sprinting to BBref only to see

Bron 37% 3p%
Luka 34% 3p%

:lol

https://media1.tenor.com/images/f1a3d15f65c08df8f27c1d73f11d72ca/tenor.gif?itemid=12900426

ArbitraryWater
05-26-2021, 04:35 PM
scuzzy hating on his own race again

tough scene

back to watching the newest blacked upload

hold this L
05-26-2021, 04:36 PM
From this season

48/35/73 on 59% TS
51/37/70 on 60% TS

Can you guess which one of these is which?

1987_Lakers
05-26-2021, 04:40 PM

Bron 37% 3p%
Luka 34% 3p%

https://media1.tenor.com/images/f1a3d15f65c08df8f27c1d73f11d72ca/tenor.gif?itemid=12900426

:oldlol:

tpols
05-26-2021, 04:42 PM
Luka has been draining fade away rainbows on Kawhi and the Clippers for two post seasons straight at 21 and 22 years old. Spectacular game winners too. When LeBron faced defenses like that, at that age, he was totally exposed for his lack of jumper. The Spurs had him shooting like 25% on jumpshots.

scuzzy
05-26-2021, 04:42 PM

tough scene

Nah, not a dense dweeb like you who generalizes everything into racial categories due to insecurities of that infant genitalia below

Should have took notes from your shitty predecessors before we have to fly back and firebomb your country to ash again

tpols
05-26-2021, 04:47 PM

:roll:

cumguzzy don't like these elite euros coming into this league. Don't worry little fella... silver and them boys have a product to sell and your boy is their Hulk Hogan. Don't be afraid.

tontoz
05-26-2021, 04:47 PM
Luka's shooting is hard to evaluate. His 3 pt % isn't good although it's better this year.

To me it seems like he takes an excessive number of step back 3s. With better shot selection i think his percentage would be better but how much better? Anyone's guess. I doubt he would get to 40% though.

highwhey
05-26-2021, 04:48 PM

:oldlol: like i've said before, he's low iq.

scuzzy
05-26-2021, 04:57 PM
:oldlol: like i've said before, he's low iq.
Poor guy saw some Luka step back 3's on ESPN highlights and thinks he's a sniper. No idea he's just Harden 2.0 :lol

LAmbruh
05-26-2021, 05:10 PM
Tpols finna be in for another diaper change if DAL vs LAL throw hands :(

https://i.postimg.cc/fLPH2qyf/sfgsdgsdg.jpg (https://postimg.cc/ftxjkKxV)

ArbitraryWater
05-26-2021, 05:19 PM
Nah, not a dense dweeb like you who generalizes everything into racial categories due to insecurities of that infant genitalia below

Should have took notes from your shitty predecessors before we have to fly back and firebomb your country to ash again

:roll::roll:

seething

J Shuttlesworth
05-26-2021, 05:22 PM
Is there a poster who is consistently as wrong and stupid as tpols?

Lebron23
05-26-2021, 05:26 PM

He thinks he's smart. But he has low basketball IQ. Probably a nerd in real life

ShawkFactory
05-26-2021, 05:26 PM
Luka has been draining fade away rainbows on Kawhi and the Clippers for two post seasons straight at 21 and 22 years old. Spectacular game winners too. When LeBron faced defenses like that, at that age, he was totally exposed for his lack of jumper. The Spurs had him shooting like 25% on jumpshots.
He takes a LOT of those though. Probably too much.

There were 3-4 shots in the 4th last night that he clanked that were really bad shots.

Lebron23
05-26-2021, 05:29 PM
Kawhi needs to defend him the whole game

tontoz
05-26-2021, 05:29 PM

There were 3-4 shots in the 4th last night that he clanked that were really bad shots.

As great as Luka is every time I watch him there are a few times when I think dude that's a bad shot when he takes a 3.

Stanley Kobrick
05-26-2021, 05:31 PM
one thread TeaPots posted a pic of kobe dunking on duncan as some affirmation that kobe guarded and personally shut down tim duncan. certainly an unusual creature

scuzzy
05-26-2021, 05:36 PM

That's why so many of Dallas' games were so close in losses this year, especially at the beginning of the seas. He's a bad shot taker in tight games and had hard time closing.

Phoenix
05-26-2021, 06:09 PM
I can't go there yet but with Lebron in the last few years of his career, guys like Durant,Harden, Curry, Dame on the wrong side of 30 I think he can take the title in the next 3 years. Between him and Giannis but Luka has less weaknesses( offensively anyway) to exploit. Joker and a healthy Embiid will be in the mix as well.

Speaking on how much of a 'shooter' he is or isn't, I would call him more a 'shotmaker' than a shooter at this time but dude is fearless and cold as ice. Most exciting prospect for the next decade IMO( yes over Zion, Ja and whoever else in that age range and experience).

FultzNationRISE
05-26-2021, 06:49 PM
I think people probably do tend to assume Luka's a better shooter than he is, because he's white. At the same time, shooting % is tricky because he does take a higher volume of difficult shots compared to someone like Bran who is super high IQ with his shot selection.

In 8 career postseason games (granted a small sample, and all vs the same team) Luka shoots 38% from 3 which is obviously pretty good. If he maintains that over a longer sample size, which is unlikely, it'll be really impressive.

In practical game terms I would agree him and LeGOAT are roughly the same tier as shooters. But if you have to put money on one of them to win the three point shootout... you're gonna pick Luka.

Im Still Ballin
05-26-2021, 06:53 PM
I think people probably do tend to assume Luka's a better shooter than he is, because he's white. At the same time, shooting % is tricky because he does take a higher volume of difficult shots compared to someone like Bran who is super high IQ with his shot selection.

In 8 career postseason games (granted a small sample, and all vs the same team) Luka shoots 38% from 3 which is obviously pretty good. If he maintains that over a longer sample size, which is unlikely, it'll be really impressive.

In practical game terms I would agree him and LeGOAT are roughly the same tier as shooters. But if you have to put money on one of them to win the three point shootout... you're gonna pick Luka.

[Don Rickles joke]

You're a smart dude, so I'll put this nicely...

It's over.

FultzNationRISE
05-26-2021, 06:55 PM
[Don Rickles joke]

You're a smart dude, so I'll put this nicely...

It's over.

I'm not familiar with the joke. I don't get it.

:cry:

Im Still Ballin
05-26-2021, 06:57 PM
I'm not familiar with the joke. I don't get it.

:cry:

Really? Well, ok. I'll explain the joke...

A moth goes into a podiatrist’s office, and the podiatrist’s office says, “What seems to be the problem, moth?”

The moth says “What’s the problem? Where do I begin, man? I go to work for Gregory Illinivich, and all day long I work. Honestly doc, I don’t even know what I’m doing anymore. I don’t even know if Gregory Illinivich knows. He only knows that he has power over me, and that seems to bring him happiness. But I don’t know, I wake up in a malaise, and I walk here and there… at night I…I sometimes wake up and I turn to some old lady in my bed that’s on my arm. A lady that I once loved, doc. I don’t know where to turn to. My youngest, Alexendria, she fell in the…in the cold of last year. The cold took her down, as it did many of us. And my other boy, and this is the hardest pill to swallow, doc. My other boy, Gregarro Ivinalititavitch… I no longer love him. As much as it pains me to say, when I look in his eyes, all I see is the same cowardice that I… that I catch when I take a glimpse of my own face in the mirror. If only I wasn’t such a coward, then perhaps…perhaps I could bring myself to reach over to that cocked and loaded gun that lays on the bedside behind me and end this hellish facade once and for all…Doc, sometimes I feel like a spider, even though I’m a moth, just barely hanging on to my web with an everlasting fire underneath me. I’m not feeling good. And so the doctor says, “Moth, man, you’re troubled. But you should be seeing a psychiatrist. Why on earth did you come here?”

And the moth says, “‘Cause the light was on.”

FultzNationRISE
05-26-2021, 07:05 PM
Really? Well, ok. I'll explain the joke...

A moth goes into a podiatrist’s office, and the podiatrist’s office says, “What seems to be the problem, moth?”

The moth says “What’s the problem? Where do I begin, man? I go to work for Gregory Illinivich, and all day long I work. Honestly doc, I don’t even know what I’m doing anymore. I don’t even know if Gregory Illinivich knows. He only knows that he has power over me, and that seems to bring him happiness. But I don’t know, I wake up in a malaise, and I walk here and there… at night I…I sometimes wake up and I turn to some old lady in my bed that’s on my arm. A lady that I once loved, doc. I don’t know where to turn to. My youngest, Alexendria, she fell in the…in the cold of last year. The cold took her down, as it did many of us. And my other boy, and this is the hardest pill to swallow, doc. My other boy, Gregarro Ivinalititavitch… I no longer love him. As much as it pains me to say, when I look in his eyes, all I see is the same cowardice that I… that I catch when I take a glimpse of my own face in the mirror. If only I wasn’t such a coward, then perhaps…perhaps I could bring myself to reach over to that cocked and loaded gun that lays on the bedside behind me and end this hellish facade once and for all…Doc, sometimes I feel like a spider, even though I’m a moth, just barely hanging on to my web with an everlasting fire underneath me. I’m not feeling good. And so the doctor says, “Moth, man, you’re troubled. But you should be seeing a psychiatrist. Why on earth did you come here?”

And the moth says, “‘Cause the light was on.”

Ohhhhhhhhh lol.

Now I get it.

:applause:

kentatm
05-26-2021, 07:09 PM
Luka's shooting is hard to evaluate. His 3 pt % isn't good although it's better this year.

To me it seems like he takes an excessive number of step back 3s. With better shot selection i think his percentage would be better but how much better? Anyone's guess. I doubt he would get to 40% though.

Oddly enough he's actually better on his step backs than his is the set shots.

ArbitraryWater
05-26-2021, 07:10 PM

And don't forget, he sometimes takes shots like this....

https://i.gyazo.com/05197ebffca9a4e08b9d5d2131200db1.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH3N69yKkbg

Im Still Ballin
05-26-2021, 07:12 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh lol.

Now I get it.

:applause:

No problems dude. :cheers:

By the way, I just started an awesome new thread:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?493568-Who-s-your-favorite-all-time-comedian

You should check it out.

Hope to see you there,

ISB

FireDavidKahn
05-26-2021, 07:47 PM

BINGO.

Someone can be an elite spot up shooter but be utterly horrible when taking difficult or other types of shots. It's why Devin Booker has such a pedestrian 3P% and no one would ever accuse him of not being a great shooter.

8Ball
05-26-2021, 08:27 PM
He is a top 5 player in the league.

90sgoat
05-26-2021, 08:42 PM
Kawhi needs to defend him the whole game

Kawhi was gassed and can't do it.

90sgoat
05-26-2021, 08:44 PM
As great as Luka is every time I watch him there are a few times when I think dude that's a bad shot when he takes a 3.

This is definitely something that will go away with experience.

Remember how atrocious Lebron used to be on jumpers?

tontoz
05-26-2021, 08:49 PM
This is definitely something that will go away with experience.

Remember how atrocious Lebron used to be on jumpers?

Yeah but that wasn't due to bad shot selection. He just had times when he couldn't make an open jumper.

Axe
05-26-2021, 09:46 PM
When luka got to the playoffs for the first time in his career last year, it's kinda weird the dubs couldn't anymore. :ohwell:

mentallooser
05-27-2021, 08:12 AM
I'm not really sure what you're even asking. Are you asking if, at the age of 22, he is the best player in the NBA? Or are you asking if he's the best 22 year old player?

Either way, I'm not sure if we are there yet. As far as best in the NBA, I think he needs just a bit more consistency in the shooting department. He appears to be having more and more stretches of good shooting in games, but he still takes a lot of dumb contested shots that amount to a wasted possession.

Either way, he is super fun to watch and he's certainly on his way

90sgoat
05-27-2021, 08:52 AM
Yeah but that wasn't due to bad shot selection. He just had times when he couldn't make an open jumper.

He stopped taking midrange jumpers entirely and he was much better off for it, despite needing players like Wade and Irving to make up for it.

Luka is in a much better situation, he just needs to figure out when he is too gassed to hit them.

HoopsNY
05-27-2021, 10:07 AM
What is everyone using to determine Luka's ability to shoot vs. LeBron's?

Consider the splits in shooting from 10-16 ft, 16-29 ft, and 3P%, as well as FTH%

LeBron: 38/37/37/70
Luka: 51/48/35/73

Luka has him in 3/4 categories and is significantly better from mid-range. In addition, Luka is guarded much tighter than LeBron on the perimeter/mid-range.

The 3P% is higher for LeBron, but on fewer attempts.

Anyone who watches Luka sees how defenses surround him, and the data suggests that he's a better shooter anyway.

SATAN
05-27-2021, 10:48 AM
:facepalm

The Hick
06-03-2021, 02:45 AM
:facepalm

It's time. :pimp:

plowking
06-03-2021, 04:15 AM
Is he really better than Jokic though?

You can put him in the conversation for best players in the league, but he clearly isn't better than a select few or one guy in particular.

Phoenix
06-03-2021, 04:17 AM
Yes, but he's already good enough to go head to head against elites who've been playing much longer. Currently has HBK Kilt on suicide watch.

Spain_
06-03-2021, 04:47 AM
Yes, yes it is

go to bed

LeCola
06-03-2021, 09:02 AM

Bron 37% 3p%
Luka 34% 3p%

tough scene

https://i.ibb.co/GCM5pVD/image.png

TheMan
06-03-2021, 11:47 AM
Isiah Thomas gon' chime in with "if Luka were a black dude he would be just another good player"...