PDA

View Full Version : Tracy McGrady was the first to play "Bron ball"

90sgoat
05-26-2021, 08:41 PM
I remember that awkward phase in the NBA before Kobe became his own man and before Lebron was a star.

People called Tracy McGrady the next goat and all that.

It's funny because I remember watching McGrady become this Lebron type player as early as 2000.

27-8-5 at age 21 on good percentages.

BEFORE the final changes in defense and hand checking.

So yeah, McGrady did Lebron ball before Lebron, that is, big guard doing high pick and roll spam.

I bet Lebron studied McGrady.

GrayGoat
05-26-2021, 08:45 PM
Not the same. Do you even watch basketball?

90sgoat
05-26-2021, 09:06 PM
Not the same. Do you even watch basketball?

What do you mean "not the same".

McGrady was the first to walk the ball up, dribble, pick and roll and finish, without anyone else touching the ball.

A true pioneer.

kawhileonard2
05-26-2021, 09:22 PM
Yes they both were 0-2 with HCA vs 50+ win teams prior to switching teams and joining and creating a superteam.

ShawkFactory
05-26-2021, 10:46 PM
I remember that awkward phase in the NBA before Kobe became his own man and before Lebron was a star.

It's funny because I remember watching McGrady become this Lebron type player as early as 2000.

So yeah, McGrady did Lebron ball before Lebron, that is, big guard doing high pick and roll spam.

I bet you didn't

Shooter
05-26-2021, 10:55 PM
Would Jordan be Jerry West if he never got Pippen? Was MJ just playing Jerry West ball all along?

Bawkish
05-26-2021, 10:59 PM
Would Jordan be Jerry West if he never got Pippen? Was MJ just playing Jerry West ball all along?

Bron is basically the Jerry West of the modern era :lol

Shooter
05-26-2021, 11:01 PM
Bron is basically the Jerry West of the modern era LOL

Jerry West it closer to MJ than LBJ. LBJ nearly doubled him.

https://i.postimg.cc/xTV5V8d4/Close-Its-only-double-more-lol.png

Keep up. I don't want to have this same educational conversation again.

Bawkish
05-26-2021, 11:03 PM
Jerry West it closer to MJ than LBJ. LBJ nearly doubled him.

https://i.postimg.cc/xTV5V8d4/Close-Its-only-double-more-lol.png

NBA legends: Their stats in Finals losses

Jerry West: Nine Finals played, eight lost. ...
Elgin Baylor: Seven Finals played, seven lost. ...
LeBron James: Ten Finals played, six lost. ...

Mask the Embiid
05-26-2021, 11:12 PM

LeBron literally played exactly like Orlando Tmac his rookie year.Go back and watch the tape.I mean he almost did as good of a copy job as kobe with Jordan. Then bron realized by year 3, that he was way better than McGrady, so he evolved from that style of play :oldlol: and went to the Finals the very next year playing his own way.

Spamming pick and rolls is Luka ball not bron ball but its close.....like a poor mans version of bron ball cause bron can spam isos vs top defenders unlike luka who hunts for midgets to guard him or slow big men for his iso's to work. He can never just come up the court and iso a kawhi, bridges,Butler, or pg....he wouldn't dare

that's the difference between bron ball and luka ball....Some ppl have to hunt for matchups and some people just say whoever is fking in front of me is getting 50 on them .......its levels to this OP

ImKobe
05-27-2021, 06:28 AM
LeBron literally played exactly like Orlando Tmac his rookie year.Go back and watch the tape.I mean he almost did as good of a copy job as kobe with Jordan. Then bron realized by year 3, that he was way better than McGrady, so he evolved from that style of play :oldlol: and went to the Finals the very next year playing his own way.

Spamming pick and rolls is Luka ball not bron ball but its close.....like a poor mans version of bron ball cause bron can spam isos vs top defenders unlike luka who hunts for midgets to guard him or slow big men for his iso's to work. He can never just come up the court and iso a kawhi, bridges,Butler, or pg....he wouldn't dare

that's the difference between bron ball and luka ball....Some ppl have to hunt for matchups and some people just say whoever is fking in front of me is getting 50 on them .......its levels to this OP

https://youtu.be/u9UeZK58eAk

Doranku
05-27-2021, 06:35 AM
Nothing changes here, I see.

90sgoat
05-27-2021, 07:41 AM
Nothing changes here, I see.

Dude, you've been on this forum since 2008 respec.

I admire that kind of continuity.

I only began lurking in 2013.

90sgoat
05-27-2021, 07:42 AM
LeBron literally played exactly like Orlando Tmac his rookie year.Go back and watch the tape.I mean he almost did as good of a copy job as kobe with Jordan.

I really should go back and watch.

People forget that Tmac was bigtime in the early 00s. A lot of people had him over Kobe.

tpols
05-27-2021, 07:50 AM

I watched Luka splash rainbow jumpers in kawhis face the other night. He had no problem with it. And LeBron definitely hunts mismatches too. He does it all game long and rarely attacks his man without first trying to shed him for a player he can easily stiff arm out the way.

tpols
05-27-2021, 07:51 AM

:oldlol:

Ether.

Dumbass is just lying on Luka because he hates him for being white.

ShawkFactory
05-27-2021, 09:40 AM

Is hunting for mismatches...a bad thing? Isn't that like..the goal of sports? To make it easier for your team to score.

Shooter
05-27-2021, 12:02 PM
NBA legends: Their stats in Finals losses

Jerry West: Nine Finals played, eight lost. ...
Elgin Baylor: Seven Finals played, seven lost. ...
LeBron James: Ten Finals played, six lost. ...

2nd place? Nice. Now do 16th place (1st round losses)

PP34Deuce
05-27-2021, 02:30 PM
Bron Ball has been evolved. Bron Ball is really just mismatch basketball. Bron is going to hunt for mismatches across every player.

He routinely finds AD on mismatches like he did with Bosh, Ilgauskas, Wade, Kevin Love, etc...

Suns game he routinely found Drummond on mismatches. Basically playing chess

DoctorP
05-27-2021, 02:50 PM

:lol

90sgoat
05-27-2021, 02:52 PM
Bron Ball has been evolved. Bron Ball is really just mismatch basketball. Bron is going to hunt for mismatches across every player.

He routinely finds AD on mismatches like he did with Bosh, Ilgauskas, Wade, Kevin Love, etc...

Suns game he routinely found Drummond on mismatches. Basically playing chess

I disagree.

Bron ball is the idea that "your best player should have the ball all the time".

The problem is that Tmac proved Bron ball didn't work in the playoffs, because it's too easy to gameplan against just 1 player in a 7 game series.

Bron ball only works if you have a high level playmaker, that can take over and work on their own (Kyrie, Wade etc).

If Grant Hill had made it to Orlando with Tmac, then they would have been lethal.

Shooter
05-27-2021, 03:47 PM
I disagree.

Bron ball is the idea that "your best player should have the ball all the time".

The problem is that Tmac proved Bron ball didn't work in the playoffs, because it's too easy to gameplan against just 1 player in a 7 game series.

Bron ball only works if you have a high level playmaker, that can take over and work on their own (Kyrie, Wade etc).

If Grant Hill had made it to Orlando with Tmac, then they would have been lethal.

If MJ had a higher BBALL IQ and knew how to pass he'd hold the ball longer too.

He lacks both skills. He has a skillset deficit. Sorry.

Mask the Embiid
05-27-2021, 04:59 PM
Is hunting for mismatches...a bad thing? Isn't that like..the goal of sports? To make it easier for your team to score.

Yes...yes it is. imagine wasting 20 secs on the clock every possesion when you are down because you're trying to hunt out a curry or a kyrie. Mean while lebron comes right back up the court on the other side and scores in 12 secs.How will you ever come back?

Thats why luka goes home in the 1st round and lebron goes home in the finals (after winning it all)

Luka ball is front running ball.If you get a lead on him he cant come back cause he has to spend 20 secs hunting for beverly/rondo.....or he will run into a team where he cant hunt anyone out on the court and he'll shrivel up in that series n lose with awful stats....just wait for it

Bron doesnt hunt....he eats whoever is infront of him...kawhi sandwich...iggy fries.....butler drink....thabo ice cream for dessert

SouBeachTalents
05-27-2021, 05:18 PM
I disagree.

More like it's too easy to gameplan against a team whose 2nd option is Darrell Armstrong

2ball
05-27-2021, 05:28 PM
LeBrons ball pounding style is inferior and ultimately why LeBron routinely loses to inferior teams. This whole “your turn”, “my turn” is easily guarded

ShawkFactory
05-27-2021, 05:48 PM
Yes...yes it is. imagine wasting 20 secs on the clock every possesion when you are down because you're trying to hunt out a curry or a kyrie. Mean while lebron comes right back up the court on the other side and scores in 12 secs.How will you ever come back?

Thats why luka goes home in the 1st round and lebron goes home in the finals (after winning it all)

Luka ball is front running ball.If you get a lead on him he cant come back cause he has to spend 20 secs hunting for beverly/rondo.....or he will run into a team where he cant hunt anyone out on the court and he'll shrivel up in that series n lose with awful stats....just wait for it

Bron doesnt hunt....he eats whoever is infront of him...kawhi sandwich...iggy fries.....butler drink....thabo ice cream for dessert

And then scoring on them..

paksat
05-27-2021, 06:10 PM
so much dumb in this thread it hurts and insults my well being

first off lebronze does not and will never have a highlight reel like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgBNaZhIIn0&ab_channel=icesco415icesco415

secondly, mcgrady plays a much much different game than lebronze. He actually goes after the difficult situations of trying to hit jumpers over defenders. He made a career out of doing it in fact, heck I'd say a good 95% of his jump shots were not open. These are shots that bronze avoids because he plays for statistics.

90sgoat
05-27-2021, 06:53 PM
so much dumb in this thread it hurts and insults my well being

first off lebronze does not and will never have a highlight reel like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgBNaZhIIn0&ab_channel=icesco415icesco415

secondly, mcgrady plays a much much different game than lebronze. He actually goes after the difficult situations of trying to hit jumpers over defenders. He made a career out of doing it in fact, heck I'd say a good 95% of his jump shots were not open. These are shots that bronze avoids because he plays for statistics.

All true, but it doesn't change the fact that he was the first to dribble the ball up and go 1 on 1 with the help of screens.

You also had Gilbert Arenas doing this.

Bron tried to shoot jumpers coming into the league but failed. He still tried to play like Tmac.