PDA

View Full Version : Brad Stevens future if he falls short in the playoffs, again

Stanley Kobrick
05-28-2021, 03:06 PM
it's his 8th year, most coaches only get 4. he's had the stars, he's had the top picks. how many years does one coach get to milk that one year he overachieved pass?

2ball
05-28-2021, 03:43 PM
it's his 8th year, most coaches only get 4. he's had the stars, he's had the top picks. how many years does one coach get to milk that one year he overachieved pass?

Most likely will be fired. We’ve seen players make coaches MJ made Phil Jackson (without MJ he is a Doc Rivers)

tontoz
05-28-2021, 03:47 PM
He made the ECF 3 times. Which of those times were they considered the favorite to make the Finals?

If their "failures" can be blamed on anyone it would probably be Ainge.

pandiani17
05-28-2021, 04:15 PM
He made the ECF 3 times. Which of those times were they considered the favorite to make the Finals?

If their "failures" can be blamed on anyone it would probably be Ainge.

Agree. He has done very well in the previous years, he shouldn't be fired for just one bad year.

ImKobe
05-28-2021, 04:25 PM
Falls short? His team had 0 chance to begin with. Not his fault that half the team had COVID and barely played together all year + Brown getting injured right before the Playoffs.

coin24
05-28-2021, 04:28 PM
Too much talent to coach, it’s not his fault guys:oldlol:

Axe
05-28-2021, 05:23 PM
He's not steve kerr. :(

Airupthere
05-28-2021, 05:49 PM
He should have been fired maybe 2 years ago but it seems that boston fans seem to continue placing their bets on him. Lol I dont know why

Wally450
05-28-2021, 06:04 PM
The full roster played 0 games together because of COVID and other injuries. This year is far beyond Brad's fault.

TAZORAC
05-28-2021, 06:10 PM
only 1 team wins the championship every year. Boston is a good team but doesn't have championship talent.

Thenameless
05-28-2021, 06:22 PM
As a Laker fan, I hope the Celtics sign him to a long term contract.

Axe
05-28-2021, 06:29 PM
As a Laker fan, I hope the Celtics sign him to a long term contract.
Lmao

HBK_Kliq_2
05-28-2021, 06:32 PM
He should of been fired like 5 years ago. Danny Ainge should be fired as well, his only good move ever was drafting Tatum and even that wasn't some great move or anything.

D-Wait
05-28-2021, 07:08 PM
He should have been fired maybe 2 years ago but it seems that boston fans seem to continue placing their bets on him. Lol I dont know why

Eh, have you checked Celtics forums anytime? Big part of the fanbase want him gone.

It's Ainge and the organization who seem to have unconditional trust in Stevens.

Axe
05-28-2021, 07:29 PM
Eh, have you checked Celtics forums anytime? Big part of the fanbase want him gone.

It's Ainge and the organization who seem to have unconditional trust in Stevens.
They think that as long as they make the playoffs, they're fine. Something that they've been doing so since 2015.

Kblaze8855
05-28-2021, 07:34 PM
Which coaches have done more the last 5-6 years? How many are there? 6-7?

He’s done nothing to deserve being fired. Losing to the nets without his second star adds absolutely nothing to the argument he has.

Wally450
05-28-2021, 07:35 PM
They think that as long as they make the playoffs, they're fine. Something that they've been doing so since 2015.

What do you want them to do? The only time Brad was really exposed was last season against the Heat and they still made the ECF. Our two best players are 23 and 24. I expect Danny to go deep in the bag to get some experience off the bench. We'll be fine.

RoseCity07
05-28-2021, 08:42 PM
Boston just isn't that good of a team. He seems to be a good coach. Get him more talent. I'd love to have him coaching in Portland. He's much smarter than Terry Stotts.

Axe
05-28-2021, 08:48 PM
What do you want them to do? The only time Brad was really exposed was last season against the Heat and they still made the ECF. Our two best players are 23 and 24. I expect Danny to go deep in the bag to get some experience off the bench. We'll be fine.
Lol his predecessor did a lot more for the team in a span of five years. Two b2b 60-win seasons then in the postseason, three conference finals berths, two trips in the finals and a ring. Although the roster was also very different back then.

Jasper
05-28-2021, 11:45 PM
Falls short? His team had 0 chance to begin with. Not his fault that half the team had COVID and barely played together all year + Brown getting injured right before the Playoffs.

this
Boston's roster has gone down hill last 3 years...
They need at least a 2nd option for Tatum.
Brown, Smart and their PG are 3rd options.
For some reason I expect more from Walker ... but he just seems off. (He never was that way)

Airupthere
05-28-2021, 11:50 PM

That was a very winnable series for the celtics. I realy think the coach should be held the most accountable here. We’ve seen other teams like the knicks just bypass the celtics this season and theyre not exactly loaded with their roster.

Jasper
05-29-2021, 10:01 AM
you all remember George Karl in Denver ?

ZionDunks
05-29-2021, 11:17 AM
Stevens plays the politics game really well. His amount of ass kissing and being an establishment puppet coupled with mild accomplishments will go a long ways.

Last time was the first time I seen the little hen without a mask on. He isn’t going anywhere for a while. As far as white people go he’s what the NBA is looking For.

Joey Turnbuckle
05-29-2021, 11:22 AM
Welcome back to Indiana, Brad.

CeltsGarlic
05-29-2021, 11:26 AM
You guys are trolling right?

Ainosterhaspie
05-29-2021, 11:51 AM
I don't get the lust for firing coaches if they don't win titles. He needs to be fired for not winning one since he got there? When did he ever have talent remotely close to what he has gone up against? Even if he somehow squeaked out a win to get to the finals, he's facing an overwhelming talent disadvantage when he gets there. There's no coach anywhere that's winning that.

Then there is all the injuries he's had to deal with. Thomas, Hayward, Irving, Brown.

Guess what? At most 5 teams are winning titles in a five year span and it almost never is that evenly distributed. So should the other 25 teams fire their coaches every five years since they haven't won?

Many teams have endless coaching turnover as they keep hoping they'll strike gold and keep coming coming up short. There's something to be said for continuity. When you find a strong coach keep him because chances are whoever you find to replace him is going to be worse. There aren't just dozens of elite coaches who will instantly deliver titles with any roster out there.

Stevens has consistently shown he can get a team to overperform its talent level. It's a bad idea to get rid of a coach like that just because he can't beak through against superior talent, although I'd argue hes done just that by getting past Philly.

Real Men Wear Green
05-29-2021, 11:55 AM
Do people realize that winning this series would be the biggest upset in NBA history? Just curious.

Joey Turnbuckle
05-29-2021, 11:58 AM
Like others are saying, it's more the roster and injuries that are the problem. If Celtics were to fire him, I think Pacers call him immediately. Pacers players don't really like Nate Bjorken or his staff, Brad back in Indiana would be my guess if he were to become available.

scuzzy
05-29-2021, 12:04 PM
Doesn't matter how much you float around in playoff mediocrity, after enough times you're held accountable for not getting to a championship level

Coaches in sports get fired all the time after strong playoff runs, Finals runs, Superbowl runs, World Series runs.

Dwayne Casey got fired after a 49 win, 56 win, 51 win, 60 win seasons just 2 years ago. Precisely because he couldn't elevate his team into the Finals. Hired Nurse, next year champions.

Fired Blatt, hired Lue. Champions

Fired Luke, hired Vogel. Champions

Ainosterhaspie
05-29-2021, 12:19 PM
Doesn't matter how much you float around in playoff mediocrity, after enough times you're held accountable for not getting to a championship level

Coaches in sports get fired all the time after strong playoff runs, Finals runs, Superbowl runs, World Series runs.

Dwayne Casey got fired after a 49 win, 56 win, 51 win, 60 win seasons just 2 years ago. Precisely because he couldn't elevate his team into the Finals. Hired Nurse, next year champions.

Fired Blatt, hired Lue. Champions

Fired Luke, hired Vogel. Champions

LOL. Every single one of those examples has nothing to do with the replacement coach being better than the outgoing coach. Cavs went from 2 of top 3 players out to both healthy. Raptors added multiple better players to their roster. Vogel got to use a healthy LeBron and benefitted from Davis coming in and the useless young core getting shipped out.

None of those titles are because an underachieving coach was booted, and the Celtics sure as hell don't have talent remotely close to those title teams.

Yes coaches that don't win titles are routinely fired and new coaches brought in who proceed to usher in a steady decline and team end up mired in lottery mediocrity and an endless coaching carousel as they search for and never find a guy who can magically turn an inadequate roster into champions.

Better to stick with a quality coach once you are fortunate to find one and understand that, especially in the NBA, you're not winning titles until you have the highest level top end talent or if you get lucky, overwhelming quality depth, in which case you have an outside shot at an '04 Pistons title.

Airupthere
05-29-2021, 12:23 PM
How many times have the celtics gone deep in the playoffs and never pulled the trigger? So close and yet those crucial games like game 7 against the cavs where the Cs were up until the 3rd quarter. Brad badly managed that lead. The celtics lost it and brad simply says, the other team was just the better team tonight, same line that he gives every fn time. And what was the excuse losing to the heat in the bubble? Celtics had the better roster.

Airupthere
05-29-2021, 12:26 PM
Just watch the celtics play. In order to win they need to have great shooting nights. That’s not winning you a 7-game series. If brad’s offense relies on his players having good shooting nights and letting smart shoot as much or more than the best shooters the celtics have then I dont know what else there is to say.

ZionDunks
05-29-2021, 12:34 PM
I’m a celtics fan. Ainge needs to do a little better. They need a better bench. They need another star by any means necessary.

If he tools a better roster and does better and Brad doesn’t come up big make a change.

Ainge messed up some IMHO recently

scuzzy
05-29-2021, 12:38 PM
Everyone had 19' Celtics as preseason East favs after that 2018 playoff run and they dropped another embarrassing dud to a team who didn't even make the Finals.

One of the most underachieved teams in recent history

https://i.postimg.cc/nVSBZFqn/1039444932.jpg

Joey Turnbuckle
05-29-2021, 12:59 PM
Everyone had 19' Celtics as preseason East favs after that 2018 playoff run and they dropped another embarrassing dud to a team who didn't even make the Finals.

One of the most underachieved teams in recent history

https://i.postimg.cc/nVSBZFqn/1039444932.jpg

Irving was a malcontent. Hayward still recovering. Horford pretty washed.

Joey Turnbuckle
05-29-2021, 01:00 PM
Shouldn't this thread actually be blaming Danny Ainge?

Like the Heat, Lakers, Clippers Nets, Cavs, Rockets, they could have traded their war chest. Danny Ainge has done the opposite of trying to help bring in actual star veterans. He waits for it to turn into the 25th pick of the draft to add mediocre rookies with a low ceiling or goes after injured players, malcontents and washed up faded players.

Danny Ainge passed up AD, PG, Harden.... dude sucks as a gm. The only real thing right he has done was fleece the Sixers for Tatum instead of Fultz.

scuzzy
05-29-2021, 01:04 PM
Irving was a malcontent. Hayward still recovering. Horford pretty washed.
Yeah, the same things all NBA teams deal with

"anybody can make the finals out east"

woops

https://media.giphy.com/media/YrBRYRDN4M5ryrNOND/giphy.gif

ZionDunks
05-29-2021, 01:59 PM
Shouldn't this thread actually be blaming Danny Ainge?

Like the Heat, Lakers, Clippers Nets, Cavs, Rockets, they could have traded their war chest. Danny Ainge has done the opposite of trying to help bring in actual star veterans. He waits for it to turn into the 25th pick of the draft to add mediocre rookies with a low ceiling or goes after injured players, malcontents and washed up faded players.

Danny Ainge passed up AD, PG, Harden.... dude sucks as a gm. The only real thing right he has done was fleece the Sixers for Tatum instead of Fultz.

As a Celtics fan I already did blame ainge some. But to be honest stevens has had the teams before now

Stanley Kobrick
06-02-2021, 01:21 PM
as i predicted he was moved and will be replaced

Wally450
06-02-2021, 01:43 PM
as i predicted he was moved and will be replaced

He moved into a better role with the team. You say it like its a bad thing.

It has nothing to do with him coming up short in the playoffs.

AirBonner
06-02-2021, 02:06 PM
He moved into a better role with the team. You say it like its a bad thing.

It has nothing to do with him coming up short in the playoffs.

Yup. Him and Ainge didnt agree on the Celtics team personnel. Kemba was a panic move Stevens didn’t want

Stanley Kobrick
06-02-2021, 03:00 PM
we already know how unsuccessful coach to gm promotions have turned out. especially in house promotions. knicks fans know too well