PDA

View Full Version : Eric Barber vs Michael Jordan

SATAN
05-31-2021, 01:03 AM
Eric Barber wrote to an 80s television show, sharing his dream of going one-on-one against Michael Jordan.

The catch was that the Chicago Bulls star would have to play in a wheelchair, like him.

Barber, 16 at the time, was not serious when he submitted the letter to NBC’s Sports Fantasy, a show that makes people’s sports dreams become a reality.

But little did he know that it would become serious.

Barber’s fantasy came alive, and the moment was photographed. Thirty-three years later, those images resurfaced due to the hype of Netflix’s ‘The Last Dance’ in April. The 10-part series documents Jordan and the Bulls’ quest to an unprecedented sixth NBA title in eight years.

Born with a cured spinal condition called scoliosis, Barber lost the use of his legs when he was three. He grew up in Chicago, dribbling and shooting a basketball in the asphalt park courts. His mentor Bob Trotter introduced him to wheelchair basketball at 13 while he was at a rehab centre.

Three years later in the summer of 1987, his letter to NBC was picked up and the television show organised the opportunity for Barber to take on Jordan at a basketball camp hosted at Illinois Benedictine College outside Chicago.
They would play a game up to 20 points. Barber interviewed with media beforehand, later regretting some comments about his confidence in beating Jordan.

“What I learned was sometimes it’s better to be humble because they asked me what will be the outcome of the game?” Barber explained. “I said ‘Look, (Michael Jordan) has never been in a wheelchair before. He’s a novice. I’ve been doing this for at least two to three years. I go to the court every day. My game is tight. He’s not gonna know how to manoeuvre in a chair.’”

Jordan approached Barber about his remarks.

“He came to me and said, ‘What’s this you been talking? You going to get away with me and think I don’t have a chance?’”

Tip off happened, and as Barber predicted, Jordan played awkwardly in the wheelchair.

“He was taking these really little short strokes as able-bodied do when they are in a wheelchair. His turns were pretty sluggish,” he said.

The final score read 20-14.

:lebronamazed: