PDA

View Full Version : 26-year-old Robin Ventura charges 46-year-old Nolan Ryan back in 1993

Lebron23
06-06-2021, 02:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzprWwXvEDA

He put him in a headlocked, and punched him 6x in the head.

baudkarma
06-06-2021, 01:30 PM
Ventura said in an interview years later that he and his teammates were fed up with Ryan intentionally hitting batters and the umpires letting him get away with it. They decided that the next batter he hit, no matter who it was, would charge the mound.

But if you're gonna charge the mound, you better have a plan for what you're going to do once you get there. It seems that Robin didn't, while Nolan knew exactly what to do.

TheMan
06-07-2021, 01:08 PM
Ventura said in an interview years later that he and his teammates were fed up with Ryan intentionally hitting batters and the umpires letting him get away with it. They decided that the next batter he hit, no matter who it was, would charge the mound.

But if you're gonna charge the mound, you better have a plan for what you're going to do once you get there. It seems that Robin didn't, while Nolan knew exactly what to do.

Nolan had old man strength and easily manhandled a young cub like Ventura. Sad day for us ChiSox fans :(

scuzzy
06-07-2021, 04:36 PM
Nolan had old man strength and easily manhandled a young cub like Ventura. Sad day for us ChiSox fans :(
He landed the one uppercut good. Those overhead skull bops did -5 HP to Nolans wrist/knuckles tho

72-10
06-12-2021, 04:17 AM
Thank you for reminding me of this classic moment. They must replay this once a season during Sox telecasts. Ryan is the No-Hitter leader by a wide margin with 7, and Ventura ended up his career with something like 18 grand slams, an absurdly high number relative to his home run total.

72-10
06-12-2021, 04:20 AM
I didn't watch back in '93 and when I did it was the Cubbies. Ryan was notoriously wild and erratic with his pitching, but was Ventura known to crowd the plate? Is that why he hit 18 grand salamis?

72-10
06-12-2021, 04:33 AM
Just checked Robin Ventura's Home Run Log. Ryan got the better of Ventura, having never homered off him. He did homer off Clemens, though, in his 3rd career at-bat against him his rookie season.