PDA

View Full Version : Is Luka done with his hero-ball phase now?

90sgoat
06-06-2021, 06:55 PM
I think Luka is like early MJ or Kobe post Shaq, with that much talent, you just need to see just how much you can do on your own.

Do you think these two first round exists are enough to help him get over that ego thing?

ShawkFactory
06-06-2021, 06:57 PM
I mean...will his teams be better? If the Mavericks don’t do anything and they roll the same squad out next year you can probably expect similar results.

FultzNationRISE
06-06-2021, 06:57 PM
The only time the Mavs were competitive in this series was when Doncic was hitting crazy stupid shots, which he managed to do as often as any star could be expected to. It was literally their ONLY win condition. It's not a recipe for playoff success, but that's on the front office and coaching. Can't blame Luka for that.

Spurs m8
06-06-2021, 07:04 PM
Give him some pieces to work with and yes

Spain_
06-06-2021, 07:08 PM
Give him some pieces to work with and yes

I think Luka is drunk of usage now that he out of Europe and the very team oriented play that goes on here..Unlike American kids he didn't get to be the guy that averages 27 and 15 in high school while playing against people he can dominate in his sleep.

3ball
06-06-2021, 07:20 PM
I think Luka is like early MJ or Kobe post Shaq, with that much talent, you just need to see just how much you can do on your own.

Do you think these two first round exists are enough to help him get over that ego thing?

Off-guards like MJ or Reggie Miller could take 30 shots without barely dribbling or touching the ball (and I know Jordan was more ball-dominant than Miller, but he was still an off-guard and nowhere near Luka or point guards).

So you're conflating high shot attempts with high hold-time (ball-dominance).

Other than the 41 games in Jordan's career that he played point guard (32/8/9 according to NBC Sports (https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/why-michael-jordan-shouldve-been-point-guard-according-don-nelson)), he never held the ball or used live dribbles as much as Luka - no one outside of Harden or Lebron has matched Luka's time of possession in this series..

Btw, other than 1st Round losses in 86' and 87', Jordan had career-high usage in the 93', 97', or 98' Playoffs, and 36/7/8 in the 91-93' Finals... So he didn't change or "tone it down" to win rings - his championships often had the highest burdens of his career - he simply proved that his unprecedented style of winning (scoring champ carry-jobs) was the most dominant way to win (6/6).

90sgoat
06-06-2021, 08:32 PM
So you're conflating high shot attempts with high hold-time (ball-dominance).

As I see it, there are two things here, time spent dribbling/holding and "bad shots".

Luka should begin with getting rid of the ball going up the floor. This is what Lebron did, Allen Iverson learned to do and this is Tracy McGrady failed to do early in his career.

That alone, will make his time of posession less and be less tired. That requires a proper point guard.

Second, he needs to learn to feed the big man. He actually did a good job finding Powell and other cutters from the paint. He can get that play every single time, just dribble into the paint, pump fake, wrap around to big man.

Third, he needs a coach that will try to run plays. Luke thew the ball away trying to find Boban a lot, while passing to Porzingis, who could then pass to Boban. Need a coach that will add an extra pass.

That will keep players active and thriving.

Mauzah
06-06-2021, 10:03 PM
What other option did the Mavs have? I'm not a fan of his high usage either but it's not like he has the right kind of help.

kawhileonard2
06-06-2021, 11:54 PM
Get rid of Porzingis.

King Kawhi
06-06-2021, 11:57 PM
luka will be fine he just needs more help. they wouldn't have got this close to winning hte series without his style of play

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
06-06-2021, 11:58 PM
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1401672428430970880

KP seems done with Luka ball.

Shooter
06-07-2021, 12:30 AM
He just needs his Pippen.

Swap Porzingis for Paul Geoge and Luka would sweep the Kawhi Clippers.

ClipperRevival
06-07-2021, 01:19 AM
I mean...will his teams be better? If the Mavericks don’t do anything and they roll the same squad out next year you can probably expect similar results.

When a player dominates the ball that much, he literally doesn't give his teammates much chance to get in rhythm. It kills flow. This reduces everyone to spot up shooters and doesn't allow the talent around him to flourish. Luka will never win a ring like this. He has to find a better balance. And I think he will.

HylianNightmare
06-07-2021, 03:28 AM

Exactly they got the white goat. Now get home some real help, a Beal, CJ, someone

DABIGSALSISHA
06-07-2021, 03:46 AM
Luka's future looks Bright, kid is only 22, very impressive. Dallas is one of the bottom teams in the NBA if not the weakest once you remove Luka.

coin24
06-07-2021, 05:24 AM
Maybe if KP didn’t shit the bed and they had someone off the bench who could hit a shot?
People crying about LeTinys cast, look at the absolute scrubs Cuban has surrounded donthicc with.
He’ll piss Lukas prime away like he did to dirk

ImKobe
06-07-2021, 06:09 AM
Not until he gets a consisent 20+ ppg 2nd option. 2021 Mavs = 2018 Cavs . Team's built perfectly around Luka's strengths and has plenty of 3PT shooting to give him the freedom to go to work, but no one on that team is a reliable scoring option from game to game, which is why he averaged 35.7 ppg and 10.3 apg in the series, and why they fell apart offensively in Games 6 & 7. Once the Clippers trapped Luka and made his teammates beat them, they couldn't hit a shot.

Stanley Kobrick
06-07-2021, 08:40 AM
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1401672428430970880

KP seems done with Luka ball.
very interesting

RogueBorg
06-07-2021, 04:52 PM
The only time the Mavs were competitive in this series was when Doncic was hitting crazy stupid shots, which he managed to do as often as any star could be expected to. It was literally their ONLY win condition. It's not a recipe for playoff success, but that's on the front office and coaching. Can't blame Luka for that.

What do you mean the ONLY time they were competitive in this series? They had a 3-2 series lead for crying out loud. If not for Kawhi's Herculian effort in game 6 they'd by in the next round.

You should take yourself out back and beat yourself.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SimplisticInstructiveCattle-size_restricted.gif

3ball
06-07-2021, 04:53 PM
Not until he gets a consisent 20+ ppg 2nd option. 2021 Mavs = 2018 Cavs . Team's built perfectly around Luka's strengths and has plenty of 3PT shooting to give him the freedom to go to work, but no one on that team is a reliable scoring option from game to game, which is why he averaged 35.7 ppg and 10.3 apg in the series, and why they fell apart offensively in Games 6 & 7. Once the Clippers trapped Luka and made his teammates beat them, they couldn't hit a shot.

No one can be reliable alongside Luka because his skillset reduces them to spot-up shooter

Gohan
06-07-2021, 05:16 PM
No one can be reliable alongside Luka because his skillset reduces them to spot-up shooter

This

90sgoat
06-07-2021, 07:17 PM

Not a star, but he would easily make someone like Jonas Valanciunas into an all star.

Unlike Lebron, Luka is very adept at finding the roll man.