PDA

View Full Version : How much did Jordan actually have left in the tank when he retired in 1998.

coastalmarker99
06-09-2021, 09:52 AM
If Jordan had decided to keep playing on another team after the 1998 finals until his retirement in 2003 how long do you think he could have stayed as the best player in the world or at the very least a top 5 player in the world.

FKAri
06-09-2021, 10:04 AM
Consecutive title runs at his age would be wearing him out. His risk of injury would be high in any upcoming seasons. That roster was also due for a rebuild that MJ would have to sit around for like Kobe did. It's hard to say what the decline looks like because it's dependent on health and workload. He'd probably out of the top5 fairly quickly because he wouldn't be able to maintain it for a full season. Especially with nothing to play for. I'd say he's still top 5 in 99 but out of it the year after. He retired at the perfect time. In the perfect way.

Airupthere
06-09-2021, 10:11 AM
Consecutive title runs at his age would be wearing him out. His risk of injury would be high in any upcoming seasons. That roster was also due for a rebuild that MJ would have to sit around for like Kobe did. It's hard to say what the decline looks like because it's dependent on health and workload. He'd probably out of the top5 fairly quickly because he wouldn't be able to maintain it for a full season. Especially with nothing to play for. I'd say he's still top 5 in 99 but out of it the year after. He retired at the perfect time. In the perfect way.

I disagree with him retiring at the perfect time. I wish he had played for bit longer. Maybe with respect to the final shot in Utah that seemed like a nice way to head out. But I think that if the Bulls had stayed intact, maybe moved a few pieces here and there, they would have been back to the finals in 99. Not a guarantee that they would win the finals but quite possible. In 99, he would still have been a 27-28 ppg type of player. From there it is hard to say. Injury would have been more likely.

baudkarma
06-10-2021, 01:53 PM
MJ was coming off another third straight final and FMVP. If the '98 team had been kept together mostly intact they would have been serious contenders for the title the following season. The '99 lockout would have been a huge benefit, giving Jordan and the other vets extra months to recover from all the games they played. And when the season finally did start, all the time they played together would have enabled them to relocate their groove rather quickly. You look at the '99 EC playoff teams, and I don't think any of them could have beaten the Bulls. And the Finals? A young Spurs team, many of those guys in their first Finals, against the legendary Bulls? Hard to see San Antonio winning that one.

But of course Krause torpedoed the whole thing by deciding not to offer Phil Jackson a new contract. Jackson retired, which prompted Jordan to retire, which gave Krause the excuse he needed to break up the rest of the team.

RogueBorg
06-10-2021, 01:59 PM
This is the team that went to the Finals

https://i.ibb.co/JjDVsb8/knicks.png

Nothing special about them. What's interesting to me is if he had joined the Knicks in '98-'99 how would they have done versus San Antonio?

dankok8
06-10-2021, 02:02 PM
MJ was coming off another third straight final and FMVP. If the '98 team had been kept together mostly intact they would have been serious contenders for the title the following season. The '99 lockout would have been a huge benefit, giving Jordan and the other vets extra months to recover from all the games they played. And when the season finally did start, all the time they played together would have enabled them to relocate their groove rather quickly. You look at the '99 EC playoff teams, and I don't think any of them could have beaten the Bulls. And the Finals? A young Spurs team, many of those guys in their first Finals, against the legendary Bulls? Hard to see San Antonio winning that one.

But of course Krause torpedoed the whole thing by deciding not to offer Phil Jackson a new contract. Jackson retired, which prompted Jordan to retire, which gave Krause the excuse he needed to break up the rest of the team.

That's a good point I never considered. The lockout would give the aging Bulls extra time to recover which is a potentially significant factor as is the shortened regular season. Given that the Knicks with an injured Ewing made the finals that year, I can't see the Bulls not making the finals at the very least and I'd say 60-70% chance they would beat the Spurs. After that I think they are too old. Maybe MJ follows Phil to LA?

MadDog
06-10-2021, 02:03 PM
Jordan retired as best in the world. Hard to imagine he "falls of" to anything less than Top 5. His only debilitation would obviously be an injury.

Shooter
06-10-2021, 02:06 PM
Chalk up another 1st round exit if Pippen isn't nearby toprotect MJ once again.

97 bulls
06-10-2021, 11:34 PM
I think the Bulls win one more title in 99. People forget the Bulls won 62 games with Pippen missing half the season. I think they win 66-67 games with a healthy Pippen.

2much_knowledge
06-11-2021, 08:11 AM
Did pretty good for himself in 98 with Pip missing over 40 games. And the next season was a short one. That would help too

I'm Smart
06-11-2021, 08:30 AM
Nothing special about them.

Nothing special about them? Ewing was past his prime but 1 through 8 on that list were all good players at the time. Those Knicks were one of the last few tough teams. Every single team in the league right now is softer than those Knicks. It really is disappointing to think about just how soft the NBA has gotten over the past 20+ years and how much that rule changes and the natural evolution of the game have resulted in decreased levels of physical contact year after year.

coastalmarker99
06-11-2021, 01:21 PM
The Bulls were all done. They were on fumes in 98 and the lockout and compressed schedule in 99 would have done a now even older Bulls team in as it did to the Jazz that season.

Round Mound
06-11-2021, 10:45 PM
Three more years competing with Kobe as the best SG.

Axe
06-12-2021, 03:07 AM

His second retirement from the league was also influenced by pippen's unavailability as his teammate, i believe. And the lockout may have a part in it as well. Which is why their contracts weren't renewed.

Axe
06-12-2021, 03:09 AM
The Bulls were all done. They were on fumes in 98 and the lockout and compressed schedule in 99 would have done a now even older Bulls team in as it did to the Jazz that season.
Weren't they one of the teams filled with most aged players to make it and compete in the finals?