PDA

View Full Version : I think Mitchell is basically as good as Wade was.

Carbine
06-09-2021, 02:37 PM
When I watch him, just based on their basketball abilities and nothing more. I think he's right there.

Mitchell is only 24. Flame away.

Xiao Yao You
06-09-2021, 03:15 PM
:roll:

FultzNationRISE
06-09-2021, 03:18 PM
Mitchell is probably better suited to the current era, due Wade's lack of outside shooting.

However Mitchell has more peers who can do what he does, than Wade had who could do what he did.

Just depends how you look at it, I guess.

MadDog
06-09-2021, 03:24 PM
Wade wouldn't need a three-point shot to thrive in today's game. He would draw fouls and live inside the paint. Just like he did back in his era which had less spacing. Overall, Donovan isn't the playmaker or defender Wade was, and that ultimately separates them.

ImKobe
06-09-2021, 03:27 PM
Wade was a better scorer, rebounder, playmaker and a MUCH better defensive player. He led the Heat to a championship at 24. He didn't need outside shooting because no one could guard him inside the 3PT line.

FultzNationRISE
06-09-2021, 03:30 PM
Wade was a better scorer, rebounder, playmaker and a MUCH better defensive player. He led the Heat to a championship at 24. He didn't need outside shooting because no one could guard him inside the 3PT line.

This narrative is absurdly dismissive of how good that team was overall.

Shaq nearly won MVP the year before, and had Alonzo Mourning as his BACKUP.

Their guard rotation included White Chocolate, James Posey, and GARY PAYTON.

With coach Pat Riley on the bench.

These dudes were not washed, either.

Wade was a great, but it was hardly some huge burden to 'carry' that team. It was a deep, talented, experienced roster.

And once they all left, he was "leading" the Heat to the top of the lottery.

ImKobe
06-09-2021, 03:35 PM

And coach Pat Riley on the bench.

Wade was a great player, but it was hardly a carry job. They assembled a great team that year.

Finals

Wade - 34.7 ppg 57.2%TS
Walker - 13.8 ppg 45.6%TS, 10/37 3PT
Shaq - 13.7 ppg 53.2%TS, missed 34 out of 48 FTs (29.2%FT)
White Chocolate: 8.8 ppg 48.3%TS, 10/29 3PT

Shooter
06-09-2021, 03:40 PM

Wade was a great, but it was hardly some huge burden to 'carry' that team. It was a deep, talented, experienced roster.

https://direct.rhapsody.com/imageserver/images/alb.355420124/600x600.jpg

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ExemplaryCheapCapybara-max-1mb.gif

Xiao Yao You
06-09-2021, 03:41 PM
Mitchell is probably better suited to the current era, due Wade's lack of outside shooting.

However Mitchell has more peers who can do what he does, than Wade had who could do what he did.

Just depends how you look at it, I guess.

Wade was a better playmaker. defender and winner. He would have worked on his 3

Xiao Yao You
06-09-2021, 03:42 PM
Finals

Wade - 34.7 ppg 57.2%TS

looks like a carry job to me

FultzNationRISE
06-09-2021, 03:42 PM
Finals

Wade - 34.7 ppg 57.2%TS

Jason Terry's advanced stats obliterate Dirk's in the 2011 finals.

Does that mean Terry was the most important factor in the Mavs winning a title that year?

NO LEBRON JOKES.

1987_Lakers
06-09-2021, 03:46 PM

To be honest that 2006 Miami team was pretty weak compared to other champs.

Shaq's age started to show big time, had his worst season ever up to that point, didn't produce much in the Finals.

GP at that point was a bench warmer at best, he was shot. Walker & White Chocolate were nothing to brag about either.

ImKobe
06-09-2021, 03:48 PM
Jason Terry's advanced stats obliterate Dirk's in the 2011 finals.

Does that mean Terry was the most important factor in the Mavs winning a title that year?

NO LEBRON JOKES.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcilWP9U8AAODU0.jpg

FultzNationRISE
06-09-2021, 03:50 PM
To be honest that 2006 Miami team was pretty weak compared to other champs.

Shaq's age started to show big time, had his worst season ever up to that point, didn't produce much in the Finals.

GP at that point was a bench warmer at best, he was shot. Walker & White Chocolate were nothing to brag about either.

It was a “whole is greater than the sum of the parts” situation. High IQ, veteran team. Wade took a lot of the shots and exploited favorable matchups, which is a credit to him. But there’s a lot more to winning a title than one guy’s point totals.

What happened to Wade the next 4 seasons?

I mean if the argument is he peaked in 06 and was already washed by the time Bran got there... that works for me :confusedshrug:

BallsOut
06-09-2021, 03:55 PM

tpols
06-09-2021, 04:03 PM
Wade is one of the best defensive SGs ever (while Mitchell sucks on defense) and a far better slasher, passer, and athlete. This is a retarded take. Only thing Mitchell has on him is long range shooting.

Carbine
06-09-2021, 04:41 PM
Mitchell is an amazing athlete when it comes to what athletic attributes are weighted heavily in making a great basketball athlete.

Great ability like Wade to absorb contact. Elite (like top 3 in NBA) explosiveness in a 2 meter radius.

Xiao Yao You
06-09-2021, 04:47 PM
Mitchell is an amazing athlete when it comes to what athletic attributes are weighted heavily in making a great basketball athlete.

Great ability like Wade to absorb contact. Elite (like top 3 in NBA) explosiveness in a 2 meter radius.

can't finish through contact like Wade nor use his body and length defensively like Wade. He's more of a poor man's Lillard

Lebron23
06-09-2021, 04:55 PM
Wade is the better player. At least he can play defense.

tontoz
06-09-2021, 04:58 PM
OP is just admitting he didn't watch Wade. If those two matched up against each other at age 24 it would be one sided. Wade would own him.

I like Donovan but get real.

ArbitraryWater
06-09-2021, 05:09 PM
Probably close.

Not much seperating them.

Xiao worried.

No one in the outside world thinks Gobert better than Mitch lol

Carbine
06-09-2021, 05:10 PM
I certainly did watch him. I just saw him torch a team with Kawhi on it (who is better than Wade) so I don't have any reservation saying he would do the same to Wade in his prime. It's not like Wade would put up 40 and Mitchell 20 over a series. They would basically cancel each other out.

Smoke117
06-09-2021, 05:11 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/6f08601760da8d3158f8dd865e8d9bc3/tenor.gif

Phoenix
06-09-2021, 05:16 PM
Peak Wade would have carved up the current league like a thanksgiving turkey. Mtichell has range shooting on him, but his advantage in that category doesn't outweigh the advantages Wade had in several other aspects of the game.

Plus, in spite of Wade's relative lack of 3point shooting, you got a guy like Kawhit who can drop 27 a game while only taking 5 3's a game (and only gets to the line 6-7 times a night). Whatever deficit Wade would have if he didn't transition to be a better 3point shooter in the current league, he'd make up by being on the FT line 10-11 times ala Harden a few years ago. He'd be constantly getting into the teeth of the defense with how wide open the lane is now that everyone, bigmen included, are camping out at the 3point line.

Then there's the issue of defense and.... I don't really need to make an argument about the chasm between the two here, do I?

tontoz
06-09-2021, 05:38 PM
I certainly did watch him. I just saw him torch a team with Kawhi on it (who is better than Wade) so I don't have any reservation saying he would do the same to Wade in his prime. It's not like Wade would put up 40 and Mitchell 20 over a series. They would basically cancel each other out.

Those one game sample sizes are always really instructive....not

Kawhi is a forward. He isn't going to lock down a small, quick guard in this era. Didn't watch the game but I doubt he was guarding Mitchell much. He didn't even guard Luka that much.

Even though stats are heavily inflated in this era Wade still had better offensive numbers and was an elite defender.

Let's see Mitchell make All NBA 3rd team at least once before comparing him to Wade.

Pip' N Rodman
06-09-2021, 05:45 PM
Wade was a 15ppg scorer on 50%TS in the playoffs by his 10th season

If Mitchell outproduces that in his 10th season, I'd put him over Wade all-time

Carbine
06-09-2021, 05:55 PM

Those one game sample sizes are always really instructive....not

Kawhi is a forward. He isn't going to lock down a small, quick guard in this era. Didn't watch the game but I doubt he was guarding Mitchell much. He didn't even guard Luka that much.

Even though stats are heavily inflated in this era Wade still had better offensive numbers and was an elite defender.

Let's see Mitchell make All NBA 3rd team at least once before comparing him to Wade.

Mitchell is 6th all time in PPG in the post season and he still has 5-7 years to increase that. This isn't a one game sample size.

ZenMaster7210
06-09-2021, 06:13 PM

WOW! thanks for posting this. Hahaha

tontoz
06-09-2021, 06:27 PM
Mitchell is 6th all time in PPG in the post season and he still has 5-7 years to increase that. This isn't a one game sample size.

You say that like it means something. He's only played 28 playoff games in a stats inflated era. Once again a small sample size.

During the season he was good but not special. During the postseason he's had some hot shooting games in the early rounds. That doesn't put him on the same level as Wade who was All NBA 2nd team at age 24 for the second season in a row. He led his team to a title and was finals MVP. He was also 2nd team defense the previous year.

Dmitch has a ways to go to get to that level.

Xiao Yao You
06-09-2021, 09:15 PM
Probably close.

Not much seperating them.

Xiao worried.

No one in the outside world thinks Gobert better than Mitch lol

certainly not the people who voted him for MVP and left Mitchell off their ballots

Xiao Yao You
06-09-2021, 09:16 PM

Mitchell might score more than Wade. Wade would be more efficient, make thos around him better, defend and play his best when it counts most

Sportal
06-09-2021, 09:28 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I don't think Mitchell is getting those 08/09 and 09/10 Miami Heat teams above .500... I find that hard to picture. Maybe barely? Like 1 or 2 games above .500... Maybe when Mitchell is out there giving us 30/5/7.5 with TWO and a bit steals and one and a bit blocks...

I would like to see 25/5/5 from Mitchell before this is even discussed...

Manny98
06-09-2021, 11:53 PM
No but this playoffs so far and in the Denver series last year he has been amazing

If he can keep up his level of play through to the finals he will start to really go up in my estimation

Cold soul
06-10-2021, 12:08 AM
Wade is a great defender Mitchell isn’t the only advance I give Mitchell over Wade is outside shooting that’s it.

And1AllDay
06-10-2021, 10:40 PM
you make a good point he is killing again

still in the 1st quarter and my dude already droppin 14 pts

Axe
06-10-2021, 10:42 PM
I might want to see him play for the bulls someday.

kawhileonard2
06-10-2021, 10:43 PM
When I watch him, just based on their basketball abilities and nothing more. I think he's right there.

Mitchell is only 24. Flame away.

Not even better than 2005 Wade.

Carbine
06-10-2021, 10:56 PM
I never said better. In fact if you read the title it would insinuate AT BEST Mitchell is on par.

Mitchell is never going to get his deserves due right now. He's too young. I went through this when Wade was young too, nobody wanted to hear him being equals to the past greats.

Mitchell is a bad man though.

FKAri
06-10-2021, 11:15 PM
After MJ, Wade's the greatest slasher I have ever seen. His ability to get into the paint, no matter how clogged it was and make something happen was remarkable.

Carbine
06-10-2021, 11:17 PM
Just for the record, to those saying things like let's see him do 25-5-5 in a season before we compare him.....

If you put Mitchell in a system like Luka, he would have 7-8 assists per game as well. Any all star guard with the ability to make simple drive and kick passes to corner or slot threes can do that. It doesn't make him a bad playmaker because hes not in that type of system as puts up modest assist numbers and it wouldn't make him a great passer if he was in that system enabling 7-8 assists per game either.

You switch him out for Luka and he is doing 28 and 7 in an off year.

theman93
06-10-2021, 11:27 PM
He aint Wade but he is a bad man.

AirBonner
06-11-2021, 01:10 AM
Better than Wade. Wade had like 3 strong years. Mitchell isn’t even in his prime yet

Xiao Yao You
06-11-2021, 01:12 AM
Just for the record, to those saying things like let's see him do 25-5-5 in a season before we compare him.....

If you put Mitchell in a system like Luka, he would have 7-8 assists per game as well. Any all star guard with the ability to make simple drive and kick passes to corner or slot threes can do that. It doesn't make him a bad playmaker because hes not in that type of system as puts up modest assist numbers and it wouldn't make him a great passer if he was in that system enabling 7-8 assists per game either.

You switch him out for Luka and he is doing 28 and 7 in an off year.

He's in the perfect system to get assists. He's a gunner

Xiao Yao You
06-11-2021, 01:13 AM
Better than Wade. Wade had like 3 strong years. Mitchell isn’t even in his prime yet

Wade was better his 2nd year than Mitchell has ever been

coin24
06-11-2021, 01:15 AM
His slashing to the basket is top notch:cheers:

Smoke117
06-11-2021, 01:17 AM
His slashing to the basket is top notch:cheers:

It's okay. It's nothing close to Wade's. Clippers inside defense is pathetic.

Xiao Yao You
06-11-2021, 01:33 AM
It's okay. It's nothing close to Wade's. Clippers inside defense is pathetic.

Was better after he benched Cousins! :roll:

ZionDunks
06-11-2021, 01:51 AM
Both good players.

- Wade turned his son into a little girl. What kind of “man” does that ? He’s on the dark side

coin24
06-11-2021, 02:51 AM
Both good players.

- Wade turned his son into a little girl. What kind of “man” does that ? He’s on the dark side

Rainbow warrior cuck that will do anything for attention now..
Someone needs to grab him by that gay ass dangly earring and smack the shit out of him

Carbine
06-11-2021, 05:09 AM
If Mitchell has 36 pts or more he jumps LeBron g
for fifth all time playoff ppg......

ArbitraryWater
06-11-2021, 05:18 AM
Smoke being an emotional lesbian when it comes to Papa Mitch

miggyme1
06-11-2021, 06:26 AM
Its simple. Donovan has more range offensively but wade was better defensively. How kobe was a retro mj....donovan is a retro wade. Its actually pretty cool to see. Even their body types are the same....its scary.

ArbitraryWater
06-11-2021, 03:20 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/ca71c455f2793e211a1c7a97b84e768a.png

Clifton
06-11-2021, 03:34 PM
Yeah, it looks really great when the jumper is falling. Do you think he's going to average 40ppg for the series?

When the jumper isn't falling, it's like, "Dude, are you aware there are 4 other guys with NBA talent on the floor with you?" He's not a selfish player, he just doesn't see the game beyond the one-on-one scoring situation. His jukes are incredible and he can fill it up, but he's a scorer only.

Wade's lack of a jumper was unfortunate, and this made his prime and his career shorter than I would have wished. But his impact went well beyond just putting the ball in the basket, which, by the way, Mitchell hasn't shown he can consistently score more than Wade anyhow.

Wade is the one who taught Lebron how to be a winner. That shouldn't ever be forgotten. Lebron has become something like basketball's Zeus, but it was not always so...

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-11-2021, 03:47 PM
Mitchell's long ball and overall shooting is why the comparison is closer than it should be.

He takes and hits a lot of jumpers. Makes his game more conducive w/ today's climate.

Carbine
04-15-2023, 09:04 PM
A couple years later and I still don't think it's that crazy to say. Certainly in this era of outside shooting being king

Xiao Yao You
04-15-2023, 09:05 PM
A couple years later and I still don't think it's that crazy to say. Certainly in this era of outside shooting being king

Wade defended and was a great playmaker. It's not close

SouBeachTalents
04-15-2023, 09:12 PM
Wade was a bonafide top 3-5 player in the league for several years, Mitchell has frankly never been close to that level. And you'd have to literally not factor in defense into the comparison.

RRR3
04-15-2023, 09:16 PM
Wade quite possibly has a few MVPs if LeBron didn’t exist. Mitchell, while a terrific player, has never been an MVP caliber guy.

Carbine
04-15-2023, 09:54 PM
I barely ever watch regular season basketball, so maybe that's why I think this is more legit than other people who watch all year.

By the end of this playoff run he could very well be 30/5/5 in playoff career. He's just a pure bucket, it feels like he can get a clean look whenever he wants it. And his TS% of 56 means he is making them at a good rate.