PDA

View Full Version : Which players nowadays would suffer the most if the NBA bought back defense

coastalmarker99
06-13-2021, 09:22 AM
If the Nba nowadays started allowing defenders to use hand-checking and be as physical as they were in prior eras plus actually started calling illegal screens which players of today's stat inflated do you think would suffer the most.

coastalmarker99
06-13-2021, 09:38 AM
Nowadays I think with defensive effort in the NBA being at its all-time low right now plus with all the rules geared to be in the offensive player's favour that Jordan Wilt and Kareem all seriously could average over 40 PPG for an entire season if they played in today's NBA.

Shooter
06-13-2021, 09:48 AM
Nowadays I think with defensive effort in the NBA being at its all-time low right now plus with all the rules geared to be in the offensive player's favour that Jordan Wilt and Kareem all seriously could average over 40 PPG for an entire season if they played in today's NBA.

Less than what KD, Harden, LBJ, are doing.

All 3 of your guys cant shoot and would just clog the paint

Akeem34TheDream
06-13-2021, 09:49 AM
I think score first small pgs would suffer the most if only defenses were allowed to be physical. League is getting smaller every year because of the rules I feel like.

ImKobe
06-13-2021, 10:19 AM
Lebron would be a role player.

Spain_
06-13-2021, 10:22 AM
Small guards, they would become too inefficient to let carry the offense.
Guys like Rozier would go from well paid starter to 15 min back up point guard thats expected to shoot only when open.

Spain_
06-13-2021, 10:23 AM
Small guards, they would become too inefficient to let carry the offense.
Guys like Rozier would go from well paid starter to 15 min back up point guard thats expected to shoot only when open.

Soft bigs too, like Zingis.

paksat
06-13-2021, 11:02 AM
trae young probably, I know if the league brought back hand checking that dude might be a totally different player

coastalmarker99
06-13-2021, 11:09 AM
trae young probably, I know if the league brought back hand checking that dude might be a totally different player

Indeed as Collin Sexton locked Trae up easily in college but in the league, he cannot “ guard” him.

Hey Yo
06-13-2021, 11:11 AM

The 80's defensive wasnt even close to today's effort

paksat
06-13-2021, 11:14 AM
Indeed as Collin Sexton locked Trae up easily in college but in the league, he cannot “ guard” him.

he's just too scrawny, if you're allowed to body him up he's going to have issues imo

could be wrong but he just seems way to scrawny on a tv screen, like i'm surprised that's an "nba" body

FultzNationRISE
06-13-2021, 11:16 AM
All of them except Lebron.

Bronbron23
06-13-2021, 11:25 AM
If the Nba nowadays started allowing defenders to use hand-checking and be as physical as they were in prior eras plus actually started calling illegal screens which players of today's stat inflated do you think would suffer the most.

Well the rules are put in place to help perimeters players score so pretty much any perimeter player

MadDog
06-13-2021, 11:30 AM
LeBron and Luka. Ball dominators reliant on their teams three-point shooting. The less space, the less clean a shot is. Bringing back legitimate man defense would force a guy like LeBron to create on his own. And there are a number of better iso players.

highwhey
06-13-2021, 11:32 AM
Curry uses a lot of illegal screens and is dependent on soft rules bc if more physical defense was permitted, he would suffer tremendously as he would only be able to score a fraction of what he scores now.

The league needs to make its mind on officiating Embiid, they allow him to get away with a tremendous amount of contact when he plays defense, but on offense the slightest push is an automatic foul. That duality officiating is bs, pick 1 and stick with it.

tpols
06-13-2021, 11:37 AM
Any small player that over relies on dribbling and slashing. But tbh even if you could handcheck, the wide lanes you get as a consequence of today's 3pt shooting would make it hard to hold guys off anyway. There are a ton of small guards from the past that got into the teeth of the defense just fine when handchecking did exist ~ Kevin Johnson, Tim Hardaway, Rod Strickland, John Stockton, Mark Price and many others. I don't think john Stockton had a tighter handle or athleticism than Kyrie or Dame or Steph and he sure as he'll couldn't shoot or score like them.

MadDog
06-13-2021, 11:41 AM
Curry uses a lot of illegal screens and is dependent on soft rules bc if more physical defense was permitted, he would suffer tremendously as he would only be able to score a fraction of what he scores now.

The league needs to make its mind on officiating Embiid, they allow him to get away with a tremendous amount of contact when he plays defense, but on offense the slightest push is an automatic foul. That duality officiating is bs, pick 1 and stick with it.

Curry is also a good mention. Physical defenders (few and far between now) have always bothered him. If the league ever reinstated their old rules, teams would pickup on that quick. He actually might be the most impacted.

highwhey
06-13-2021, 11:44 AM
Curry is also a good mention. Physical defenders (few and far between now) have always bothered him. If the league ever reinstated their old rules, teams would pickup on that quick. He actually might be the most impacted.

to a degree, it's already a tactic some teams have successfully used to contain him. of course, if the rules were changed they would ramp up the physicality and we'd see curry shrivel up.

Spain_
06-13-2021, 12:07 PM
LeBron and Luka. Ball dominators reliant on their teams three-point shooting. The less space, the less clean a shot is. Bringing back legitimate man defense would force a guy like LeBron to create on his own. And there are a number of better iso players.

They are big, High IQ playmakers with great scoring ability, they would adapt and still be dominant.
If anything, tougher defense would force palyers to diversify their offensive outlook and Lebron would probably benefit since he isnt the greatest 3 point shooter.
We would see a lot more high post iso like we did in the 2000s.

They guys that would take massive dips would be Finnese bigs that cant handle physicallity (Porzingis, Markanenn) and small score first guards.

StrongLurk
06-13-2021, 12:14 PM
Hand checking is so ridiculously overrated, it's not that big of a deterrent. The biggest pet peeve I have with the NBA is how many soft calls players get when shooting lightly contested jump shots.

Shooter
06-13-2021, 12:21 PM

Fail :lol

Put a WNBA 3point shooter like Mike in the 2010+ era and he'd be DeMar Derozan

MadDog
06-13-2021, 12:32 PM
They are big, High IQ playmakers with great scoring ability, they would adapt and still be dominant.
If anything, tougher defense would force palyers to diversify their offensive outlook and Lebron would probably benefit since he isnt the greatest 3 point shooter.
We would see a lot more high post iso like we did in the 2000s.

They guys that would take massive dips would be Finnese bigs that cant handle physicallity (Porzingis, Markanenn) and small score first guards.

LeBron is a poor post player though. And his in-between game is weak. He'd look more his age with the old rules, that's for sure.

Jordan shot a better 3PT% in the playoffs than LeBron did. Regularized too. Cry more :oldlol:

Shooter
06-13-2021, 12:55 PM
LeBron is a poor post player though. And his in-between game is weak. He'd look more his age with the old rules, that's for sure.

Jordan shot a better 3PT% in the playoffs than LeBron did. Regularized too. Cry more :oldlol:

Nope. He didn't shoot better even with a shorter 3 point line

https://i.postimg.cc/SRMVWGmc/Bron-over-MJ-always.png

Any other lies you want to spread?

fsvr54
06-13-2021, 01:05 PM
Donovan Mitchell

MadDog
06-13-2021, 01:08 PM
Nope. He didn't shoot better even with a shorter 3 point line

85-93 Jordan shot 35% with the normalized 3PT line. LeBron shoots 34%. Thanks for playing.

3ball
06-13-2021, 01:08 PM
All the ballerinas (step-backers)

Lillard, Curry, Harden, etc

Shooter
06-13-2021, 01:13 PM
85-93 Jordan shot 35% with the normalized 3PT line. LeBron shoots 34%. Thanks for playing.

:lol Like I said. Nope. MJ didn't shoot better than LBJ, even with a shorter 3 point line

MadDog
06-13-2021, 01:16 PM
:lol Like I said. Nope. MJ didn't shoot better than LBJ, even with a shorter 3 point line

Sure he did. Before the NBA shortened the line, Jordan shot better than LeBron. 35% is higher than 34% no? Poor shooter :oldlol:

imdaman99
06-13-2021, 01:18 PM
Anyone that flails a lot.

ralph_i_el
06-13-2021, 05:20 PM
Any smaller slasher. D'aaron Fox comes to mind.

Axe
06-13-2021, 11:49 PM
Lebron would be a role player.
So does curry

Spurs m8
06-13-2021, 11:50 PM
We know LeFlop doesn't like physicality

The roided monster turns into a feather

RRR3
06-13-2021, 11:51 PM
Sure he did. Before the NBA shortened the line, Jordan shot better than LeBron. 35% is higher than 34% no? Poor shooter :oldlol:
Are we supposed to give MJ credit for being worse with an EASIER 3pt line? :roll:

And1AllDay
06-13-2021, 11:53 PM
Are we supposed to give MJ credit for being worse with an EASIER 3pt line? :roll:

:oldlol::roll::oldlol:

And1AllDay
06-13-2021, 11:53 PM

:oldlol::roll::oldlol:

Axe
06-13-2021, 11:55 PM
I agree. For someone his size those numbers would deflate in the playoffs significantly once he's swarmed effectively and that would affect his overall impact because he doesn't make up for good defense against opposing players when he has bad shooting nights. Tho like i said, he had all-star help to bail him out if that becomes the case. So those won't matter for dub stains as long as his team is dominating.

06-14-2021, 02:18 AM
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=michael+jordan+3+point%25+1990-91+to+1992-93+playoffs

MadDog
06-14-2021, 03:07 AM

Do whatever you want. But If "WNBA Jordan" shoots better with a normalized line, then LeBron needs work ASAP :oldlol:

lakerstekkenn
06-14-2021, 03:20 AM
Today's NBA have put in certain rules to make the game more exciting and to score more points giving the offensive players more freedom less pressure to score but in the past the rules allowed more physical play hand checking pressure even more physical contact making it very difficult for offensive players to score this would show who was truly great because these offensive players would have to adjust work on every part of their games this showed greatness like Jordan Kobe and others adjusted to physical defense.

Today players just dribble and shot teams scoring over 120 points a game.

We don't know which players would adjust to physical defensive pressure teams if allowed would put them under but some would fold under a physical defense would Harden handle a physical pressure hand checking defender ? could Durant with his thin frame handle physical contact when shooting his shots ? pressure hand checking bumping being pushed ?

James size strength would help him against physical defensive pressure so he should be able to handle it, but this constant bull dozing the basket would get shut down with a hard foul knocking him down close line physical foul bumping him hand checking might stop him from attacking the rim.

It seems everyone is getting tiered of this type of NBA and want the physical hard defense but they don't want this scoring first offensive play but a nice defensive physical clean Basketball but not deliberate fouls that could hurt people that's not what everyone wants but they do want physical hand checking defensive Basketball.