PDA

View Full Version : Rick Carlisle quits on Luka Doncic

HBK_Kliq_2
06-17-2021, 04:11 PM
WOJ just tweeted:

Rick Carlisle -- who led Dallas to the 2011 NBA championship -- informed Mavericks owner Mark Cuban today that he won't be returning as coach next season, Carlisle told ESPN. Carlisle had two years left on his contract. He spent 13 seasons as Mavericks coach.

I guess that kawhi beat down was too much to handle hahahaha or was it cause his butt buddy don nelson got fired?

8Ball
06-17-2021, 04:14 PM
Eat shit Mark Cuban.

That article about hiring a crypto bro to run his team was dead on accurate.

ImKobe
06-17-2021, 04:17 PM
WTF is going on in that Mavs' org? Carlisle's a great ****ing coach. I hope the Pelicans go after him.

FultzNationRISE
06-17-2021, 04:20 PM
Someone posted a rumor a few days ago that Carlisle wanted the Bucks job if Bud is gone.

Sounded like complete BS, Carlisle is the head of the coaches union so you wouldnt expect him to leak his interest in other guys jobs. And why leave DAL for MIL?

But after that disgraceful choke a couple days ago Bud is almost certainly gone.

Maybe there is a foundation to those whispers..

HBK_Kliq_2
06-17-2021, 04:24 PM
Someone posted a rumor a few days ago that Carlisle wanted the Bucks job if Bud is gone.

Sounded like complete BS, Carlisle is the head of the coaches union so you wouldnt expect him to leak his interest in other guys jobs. And why leave DAL for MIL?

But after that disgraceful choke a couple days ago Bud is almost certainly gone.

Maybe there is a foundation to those whispers..

I can see him replacing Brad Stevens on the celtics or replacing Bud if Bucks get eliminated in the 2nd round.

Nb1
06-17-2021, 04:27 PM
Swap Kawhi or George with Luka and the Clippers would've swept the Mavs.The clippers bench is like better than the Mavs. Its a miracle Luka won them 2 games. Poor guy was all alone against one of the best teams out there and wouldve swept them if only he had a little help from anyone.

SouBeachTalents
06-17-2021, 04:29 PM
Swap Kawhi or George with Luka and the Clippers would've swept the Mavs.The clippers bench is like better than the Mavs. Its a miracle Luka won them 2 games. Poor guy was all alone against one of the best teams out there and wouldve swept them if only he had a little help from anyone.
The Clips are so stacked they just went on the road and beat the team with the best record without Kawhi. That's the kind of shit you only saw the Warriors minus Durant do

MadDog
06-17-2021, 04:30 PM
Carlisle would be an upgrade for most teams. Does he still want to coach though?

highwhey
06-17-2021, 04:32 PM
Mavs won’t find a better coach than Rick…

That rumor about Luka hesitant about the Mavericks future seems to have legs.

HBK_Kliq_2
06-17-2021, 04:33 PM
The Clips are so stacked they just went on the road and beat the team with the best record without Kawhi. That's the kind of shit you only saw the Warriors minus Durant do

Utah is missing their allstar point guard and arguably most important player in Conley. It's not Kawhi's fault that Rick no longer wants to coach a crybaby ballhog bitch that doesn't play any defense.

Clippers are so stacked that kawhi had to not miss a shot in the 4th quarter of all 4 wins vs Dallas and kawhi had to have 45 points in game 6 just to hang onto life.

SouBeachTalents
06-17-2021, 04:34 PM
Utah is missing their allstar point guard and arguably most important player in Conley. It's not Kawhi's fault that Rick no longer wants to coach a crybaby ballhog bitch that doesn't play any defense.

Clippers are so stacked that kawhi had to not miss a shot in the 4th quarter of all 4 wins vs Dallas and kawhi had to have 45 points in game 6 just to hang onto life.
How’d they do last night without him?

HBK_Kliq_2
06-17-2021, 04:35 PM
Carlisle would be an upgrade for most teams. Does he still want to coach though?

He released a statement saying he's excited about the next chapter of his coaching career. The only players he thanked were Dirk and Jason Kidd, never mentioned Luka.

HBK_Kliq_2
06-17-2021, 04:35 PM
How’d they do last night without him?

Short handed team without their allstar point guard who was their most impactful player by a lot of metrics.

tontoz
06-17-2021, 04:40 PM
Pretty sure this is about Nelson getting fired, not Luka.

HBK_Kliq_2
06-17-2021, 04:41 PM
Pretty sure this is about Nelson getting fired, not Luka.

Who the hell quits when you're coaching a franchise player in the beginning of his prime? seems odd to me.

Spurs m8
06-17-2021, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I'm sure over-achieving and pushing Kawhi to 7 games was the reason :facepalm

HBK_Kliq_2
06-17-2021, 04:45 PM
From ESPN's Tim MacMahon:

There had been simmering tension between Luka Doncic and Rick Carlisle that was a concern within the Mavs organization. The expectation was that he'd return next season, but he'd have been on the hot seat.

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1405619826731618308

Told you, he would stay if he liked Luka.

HBK_Kliq_2
06-17-2021, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I'm sure over-achieving and pushing Kawhi to 7 games was the reason :facepalm

Failing to win a home game and losing 4 out of 5 straight is pretty embarrassing though.

Ghost1
06-17-2021, 04:47 PM
Spoiler alert

Hbk is skip bayless

ArbitraryWater
06-17-2021, 04:56 PM
Short handed team without their allstar point guard who was their most impactful player by a lot of metrics.

so Conley is the equivalent to Kawhi or something?

No Conley or not, they were still good enough to be 2-2 through 4 games against the KAWHI Clippers :lol

Ghost1
06-17-2021, 05:03 PM
rick will now focus on ace ventura spin- off, per shams

insight
06-17-2021, 05:04 PM
You have Carlisle the only coach in Mavericks history to win a championship suddenly hang it up, along with their long time GM a few seasons after trading for wonder boy Luka. I wonder who Nelson and Carlise think won the Hawks / Dallas Luka Trae trade.

90sgoat
06-17-2021, 05:07 PM
Carlisle is a great coach and will do wonders on a team like Bucks or Boston. He has a great offensive system, only second to Pop, but he is a poor defensive coach.

That's been the main problem with Carlisle and Nelson.

They've had 3 years now and the team is a sieve on defense.

It's not just about players, that's on Nelson, it's definitely also Carlisle. The team is SOFT.

Imo, Mavs need someone like Jerry West and they need an older coach who can handle Doncic. Someone who Doncic will respect and do as told.

ImKobe
06-17-2021, 05:15 PM
On second thought, Boston is the logical step for Rick. He lived in Mass. and he'd have two young stars to coach there. Milwaukee is likely the 2nd pick if they shit the bed and Bud gets axed next week.

HBK_Kliq_2
06-17-2021, 05:16 PM
so Conley is the equivalent to Kawhi or something?

No Conley or not, they were still good enough to be 2-2 through 4 games against the KAWHI Clippers :lol

They shot out of their minds in games 1 and 2 and kawhi was tired from his 1st round carry job. They still embarrassed them by like 30 points in games 3 and 4.

Utah just isn't that good without conley, they even lost to the play in grizzles when Conley wasn't playing in game 1.

highwhey
06-17-2021, 05:16 PM
Honestly mark needs to just trade Luka to Phoenix, Ayton and Luka are good friends and share the agent.

ImKobe
06-17-2021, 05:18 PM
Honestly mark needs to just trade Luka to Phoenix, Ayton and Luka are good friends and share the agent.

Crowder + Cam Payne?

highwhey
06-17-2021, 05:20 PM
Crowder + Cam Payne?
You drive a hard bargain, but we accept.

DoctorP
06-17-2021, 05:28 PM
about time he quit. looks like he's dying of cancer

DoctorP
06-17-2021, 05:31 PM
Get some R and R, Carlysle!!

fourkicks44
06-17-2021, 05:36 PM
Eat shit Mark Cuban.

That article about hiring a crypto bro to run his team was dead on accurate.

Apparently Rick was caught between a rock and a hard place.

Trying to change his ways and bow down to Luka while also forced to obey this snake oil salesmen Voulgaris.

I'm guessing since the article came out both he and Nelson were both like "I'm too old for this shit, f'ck this I'm out. Good luck, Mark".

Underlying this is all the rape allegations in the organization. Doesn't sound like a particularly fun place to work right now.

brownmamba00
06-17-2021, 05:37 PM
Rick deserves more respect. Luka is kind of a dicc.

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2021, 05:40 PM
Sweet. New Jazz owner can finally make the big changes that have been needed for decades. Ainge and his former teammate Carlisle!

8Ball
06-17-2021, 05:42 PM
Sweet. New Jazz owner can finally make the big changes that have been needed for decades. Ainge and his former teammate Carlisle!

Lol danny ainge in utah.

Hasn't made a move in years for the Celtics and his name is burnt around the league for free agents.

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2021, 05:44 PM
Lol danny ainge in utah.

Hasn't made a move in years for the Celtics and his name is burnt around the league for free agents.

Jazz aren't signing any free agents. They are paying a lot of tax. If he can fix the roster somehow that Lindsey has put together that would make me happy

Real Men Wear Green
06-17-2021, 05:55 PM
Ainge would be a good GM but I don't see how he is doing a better job than they have done. Putting together a team that good in Utah where no FA wants to go is nothing short of great work.

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2021, 06:01 PM
Ainge would be a good GM but I don't see how he is doing a better job than they have done. Putting together a team that good in Utah where no FA wants to go is nothing short of great work.

max deal for Mitchell kicking in. 3 more years of Clarkson. 2 more years of Bojan and Favors. COTY refusing make any changes two straight years in the playoffs

Jasper
06-17-2021, 06:02 PM
quite frankly it is all about Nelson...
when he left Rick did not trust the rest of the franchise....

he could of easily moved into pres.of bball operations for the mavs

Jasper
06-17-2021, 06:03 PM
Rick deserves more respect. Luka is kind of a dicc.

you are 100 % wrong.

r0drig0lac
06-17-2021, 06:05 PM
Donshit is a bitch

Spurs m8
06-17-2021, 06:09 PM
I see a few black panther members in here

Axe
06-17-2021, 06:12 PM
Op is an idiot.

Real Men Wear Green
06-17-2021, 06:19 PM
max deal for Mitchell kicking in. 3 more years of Clarkson. 2 more years of Bojan and Favors. COTY refusing make any changes two straight years in the playoffs
You have to max Mitchell. They probably won't get another player off his caliber for 10 to 20 years and are just trying to keep him happy and loyal enough not to leave when he is able. You can have your gripes with this or that coaching move or role player but big picture you will not see any big signings where Utah gets someone else's star. And in this superteam era that's a serious disadvantage. Superstar Mitchell and lesser star (but still a star) Gobert is as good as it gets. A team that can compete for conference finals every year is fantastic for Utah. Ainge could keep them at such a level but no one will do better.

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2021, 06:35 PM
You have to max Mitchell. They probably won't get another player off his caliber for 10 to 20 years and are just trying to keep him happy and loyal enough not to leave when he is able. You can have your gripes with this or that coaching move or role player but big picture you will not see any big signings where Utah gets someone else's star. And in this superteam era that's a serious disadvantage. Superstar Mitchell and lesser star (but still a star) Gobert is as good as it gets. A team that can compete for conference finals every year is fantastic for Utah. Ainge could keep them at such a level but no one will do better.

no you don't have to. They didn't max Gobert and he'd done a lot more to deserve it at the time. He took less rather than risk injury. That's what they should have did with Mitchell. Not only max but he would have gotten super max if he'd made all NBA. He hasn't earned it. They are competing for conference finals? Ainge is better than Lindsey. He got lucky with Gobert. Otherwise they'd likely be one of the worst teams in the league

r0drig0lac
06-17-2021, 06:42 PM

for taking sides with Rick and Porzingis? interesting....

Spurs m8
06-17-2021, 06:48 PM
for taking sides with Rick and Porzingis? interesting....

No...for constantly crying about the white guy, at any given opportunity

Real Men Wear Green
06-17-2021, 06:56 PM
no you don't have to. They didn't max Gobert and he'd done a lot more to deserve it at the time. He took less rather than risk injury. That's what they should have did with Mitchell. Not only max but he would have gotten super max if he'd made all NBA. He hasn't earned it. They are competing for conference finals? Ainge is better than Lindsey. He got lucky with Gobert. Otherwise they'd likely be one of the worst teams in the league
I don't know why you think some other team wouldn't have signed Mitchell away if they didn't max him but if they actually wanted to keep Mitchell (and they do) they had to offer him every penny that they could. Even if they were a popular city like Miami or LA you max Mitchell. Utah? New realistic.

r0drig0lac
06-17-2021, 06:56 PM
No...for constantly crying about the white guy, at any given opportunity

...yeah, again it didn't make sense, but you might be smart enough to know that and still post that kind of shit.

bladefd
06-17-2021, 07:00 PM
Carlisle is a great coach and will do wonders on a team like Bucks or Boston. He has a great offensive system, only second to Pop, but he is a poor defensive coach.

That's been the main problem with Carlisle and Nelson.

They've had 3 years now and the team is a sieve on defense.

It's not just about players, that's on Nelson, it's definitely also Carlisle. The team is SOFT.

Imo, Mavs need someone like Jerry West and they need an older coach who can handle Doncic. Someone who Doncic will respect and do as told.

Yeah, Carlisle should go to Boston or Bucks. I agree. The best place is an established veteran team with an experienced core. I think if the Bucks lose this round, they might become toxic going forward. Especially once Giannis gets fed up with losing and forces his way out. It's a nuclear timebomb waiting to go off. Same in Portland with Lillard - another nuke just waiting to go off. Carlisle should choose Boston.

As for Jerry West, he can't work full-time anymore. He is in his 80s and been working part-time the last decade. That doesn't work for GM unless if it's in a consultant role only. I think Dallas needs someone young and in tune with modern basketball to take the GM role. Like Chauncey Billups. But yes, they do need another older old-school defensive coach who is well-respected and tested. I just don't know who.. Maybe Jeff van Gundy if you can get that guy out of the booth. I don't know who else is an option..

HBK_Kliq_2
06-17-2021, 07:03 PM

Ainge\Carlisle duo in Utah makes sense but Utah is still at least 2-3 years away from ever firing Snyder i think.

RRR3
06-17-2021, 07:06 PM
You literally don’t know what the Black Panthers were. Dumbass bogan.

90sgoat
06-17-2021, 07:12 PM
I don't know who else is an option..

Nate McMillan
x van Gundy
Vogel

HylianNightmare
06-17-2021, 07:19 PM
I can't imagine it is as fun to coach Luca as it is to of coach DIR K

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2021, 07:20 PM
I don't know why you think some other team wouldn't have signed Mitchell away if they didn't max him but if they actually wanted to keep Mitchell (and they do) they had to offer him every penny that they could. Even if they were a popular city like Miami or LA you max Mitchell. Utah? New realistic.

he would be a restricted free agent or settled for less. Why max him before you have to when he hasn't earned it? They didn't max Gobert. He could have risked getting injured but he took their 25 million a year instead.

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2021, 07:21 PM
Ainge\Carlisle duo in Utah makes sense but Utah is still at least 2-3 years away from ever firing Snyder i think.

with the Jazz record he'll never be fired. Sloan couldn't be fired. There were rumors of Lindsey going back to Houston and they do have a new owner so there is hope that things could change in Utah for the better

SATAN
06-17-2021, 08:17 PM
WOJ just tweeted:

I guess that kawhi beat down was too much to handle hahahaha or was it cause his butt buddy don nelson got fired?

When are you leaving the board though?

ClipperRevival
06-17-2021, 09:28 PM
Wow, shocking. It can't work out if your superstar doesn't get along with the coach. Some team will get a great coach.

Real Men Wear Green
06-17-2021, 09:37 PM
he would be a restricted free agent or settled for less. Why max him before you have to when he hasn't earned it? They didn't max Gobert. He could have risked getting injured but he took their 25 million a year instead.
Because you don't want to piss him off. They want him to spend his career in Utah or at least be able to trade him on their own terms. Maxing him first chance they get breeds good will. Fail to do it and he will correctly think he is being undervalued and not sign. He is universally recognized as one of the best young players in the game. He is the best player on their team and a perennial allstar. Fail to pay him what he's worth and he doesn't feel the loyalty in a few years when he can be an unrestricted free agent. They have to show him the love. No other sensible option.

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2021, 09:49 PM
Because you don't want to piss him off. They want him to spend his career in Utah or at least be able to trade him on their own terms. Maxing him first chance they get breeds good will. Fail to do it and he will correctly think he is being undervalued and not sign. He is universally recognized as one of the best young players in the game. He is the best player on their team and a perennial allstar. Fail to pay him what he's worth and he doesn't feel the loyalty in a few years when he can be an unrestricted free agent. They have to show him the love. No other sensible option.

letting players dictate what the franchise does never ends well. Hayward said he would play with Rubio who made no sense otherwise. Hayward never played with him of course. They played Mitchell in game 2 of the 1st round to keep him happy and now he's hurt again instead of doing what the doctors thought best. He's not one of their two best players and arguable as to if he deserved to be an all star either year.

Real Men Wear Green
06-17-2021, 09:55 PM
letting players dictate what the franchise does never ends well. Hayward said he would play with Rubio who made no sense otherwise. Hayward never played with him of course. They played Mitchell in game 2 of the 1st round to keep him happy and now he's hurt again instead of doing what the doctors thought best. He's not one of their two best players and arguable as to if he deserved to be an all star either year.

I completely disagree with your evaluation of Mitchell's value to the Jazz to the point where that's just not worth discussing. Regardless of your opinion on the open market Mitchell would get a max offer from every team that had max space regardless of who else was on the team. He is a max player and has earned that as much as anyone can earn millions for playing basketball. No agent with any sense would tell him to settle for less.

Spurs m8
06-17-2021, 09:58 PM
I completely disagree with your evaluation of Mitchell's value to the Jazz to the point where that's just not worth discussing. Regardless of your opinion on the open market Mitchell would get a max offer from every team that had max space regardless of who else was on the team. He is a max player and has earned that as much as anyone can earn millions for playing basketball. No agent with any sense would tell him to settle for less.

Yeah its not even worth discussing Mitchell with that guy.

He needs a new avatar which represents what I see whenever he posts...

https://images.thehalloweenhq.com/BODY/09/1/front/v5/fac/4.jpg

Kblaze8855
06-17-2021, 10:14 PM
Every single team in the nba maxes Mitchell the minute the option exists. Period. The rest is just a weird fan continuing an unbroken streak of hating his own teams players.

Now....I can’t believe Rick left or got asked to leave or whatever. Over Luka of all things? Luka feeling misused when the offense has pretty much been handed to him to do as he pleases? A lot of the trademark Mavs “flow” offense turned to dribble fadeaways. Not to Lukas looking liking?

Going for that coach killer label early. If you’re great enough you can do that though. Magic got away with it at this age.

Rick is an upgrade on almost every team. Bucks, Pelicans, and Celtics all need to back up the brinks truck. I’d love to see what he does with the Bulls too.

Xiao Yao You
06-17-2021, 11:32 PM
Every single team in the nba maxes Mitchell the minute the option exists. Period. The rest is just a weird fan continuing an unbroken streak of hating his own teams players.

Now....I can’t believe Rick left or got asked to leave or whatever. Over Luka of all things? Luka feeling misused when the offense has pretty much been handed to him to do as he pleases? A lot of the trademark Mavs “flow” offense turned to dribble fadeaways. Not to Lukas looking liking?

Going for that coach killer label early. If you’re great enough you can do that though. Magic got away with it at this age.

Rick is an upgrade on almost every team. Bucks, Pelicans, and Celtics all need to back up the brinks truck. I’d love to see what he does with the Bulls too.

well you've already put him the HOF so your opinion isn't worth much. I like players to actually prove their worth first

BarberSchool
06-18-2021, 02:02 AM
Carlisle will return to Boston and coach the Celtics.

He will hire Donnie there too.
Rick may even find a way to get Doncic in Celtics green.
And that would break Boston Twitter

hold this L
06-18-2021, 02:04 AM

Unless he left because of Doncic

Lebron23
06-18-2021, 02:11 AM

He left because of Doncic. That Ball Dominant Son of a B1tch won't win a playoffs series if he doesn't trust his teammates.

Spurs m8
06-18-2021, 02:13 AM
He left because of Doncic. That Ball Dominant Son of a B1tch won't win a playoffs series if he doesn't trust his teammates.

His team mates suck

Lebron23
06-18-2021, 02:14 AM
Unless he left because of Doncic

I think they might struggle next year. Carlisle is a good coach. Hard to replace him.

Lebron23
06-18-2021, 02:15 AM
His team mates suck

He has the highest usage in NBA history. He get the Stats because he has the ball all the time Dude is basically the anti Trae Young. Young makes his teammates better and they are winning games without Reddish, and Hunter.

Sulico
06-18-2021, 02:46 AM
Rick is a bad coach, and he's been that for at least 5 years now.

Mavs didn't compete for anything so they had no reason to fire him, but now that they have a superstar and somewhat decent team around him they need a good coach.

It's a shame that when league changed, Carlisle couldn't keep up. He used to be one of my favourite coaches.

RRR3
06-18-2021, 03:13 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

3xiao at it again.

RRR3
06-18-2021, 03:18 AM
well you've already put him the HOF so your opinion isn't worth much. I like players to actually prove their worth first
Literally everyone can tell he’s going to make the HOF based on his current trajectory besides you.

Xiao Yao You
06-18-2021, 03:30 AM
Literally everyone can tell he’s going to make the HOF based on his current trajectory besides you.

Best player in Jazz history!

RRR3
06-18-2021, 03:51 AM
Best player in Jazz history!
Best playoff performer in Jazz history at least.

Xiao Yao You
06-18-2021, 04:19 AM
Best playoff performer in Jazz history at least.

been past the 1st round twice :roll:

RRR3
06-18-2021, 04:25 AM
been past the 1st round twice :roll:
Yeah, sadly he has to play with an all time playoff choker in Rudy Gobert. Unfortunate.

Spain_
06-18-2021, 05:13 AM

We live in a world where Andre Drummond got a 5 year MAX there are a lot of teams out there that would give everything possible for DM.

Xiao Yao You
06-18-2021, 05:56 AM
We live in a world where Andre Drummond got a 5 year MAX there are a lot of teams out there that would give everything possible for DM.

please send the offers!

Kblaze8855
06-18-2021, 07:43 AM

Except my opinion is that of virtually everyone in the game.....and that of the team in question. What you think is what you think. I think what’s obvious to the rest of Earth. He’s a max player. The Jazz and every team would agree. You seeing the entire Jazz lineup as an impediment to Rudy getting credit makes you irrational and obviously the wrong person to discuss such matters with.

And of course I said he’s going to the hall if he stays healthy. He’s 24 and been a star for years doing traditional HOF numbers, had great playoff performances, and is on a good team. The only people like that who don’t end up in the hall have careers derailed by injury or some kinda off court madness.

There may be an exception but I can’t think of one right now. Sprewell maybe unless we ignore the damage to his career caused by choking his coach. And that he wasn’t that productive either. 20 ppg in like 42 minutes a game?

Mark Aguirre would be one but he got traded to a team too good to shine on. If Donovan ends up on the Nets as a 6th man his HOF chances drop like Marks.

Thars probably your best bet of not watching his HOF induction one day and accepting I was right. Injury, he runs into the Jazz front office and goes Deebo:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LiquidSphericalAmericanblackvulture-size_restricted.gif

on the GM, or he ends up on the most stacked lineup in the league which limits his production.

Thats about it. He’s Deron Williams with a great half career and nagging injuries that gradually make him a role player at worst. 95% of the time? This start has a great ending. Players like this don’t fall off for nothing.

Barring tragedy I’ll be right and you’ll be annoyed by your own stars greatness being acknowledged for a very long time. You’re probably in what will be remembered as the Mitchell era of the Jazz over your staunch drowned out objections.

Xiao Yao You
06-18-2021, 08:02 AM
Except my opinion is that of virtually everyone in the game.....and that of the team in question. What you think is what you think. I think what’s obvious to the rest of Earth. He’s a max player. The Jazz and every team would agree. You seeing the entire Jazz lineup as an impediment to Rudy getting credit makes you irrational and obviously the wrong person to discuss such matters with.

And of course I said he’s going to the hall if he stays healthy. He’s 24 and been a star for years doing traditional HOF numbers, had great playoff performances, and is on a good team. The only people like that who don’t end up in the hall have careers derailed by injury or some kinda off court madness.

There may be an exception but I can’t think of one right now. Sprewell maybe unless we ignore the damage to his career caused by choking his coach. And that he wasn’t that productive either. 20 ppg in like 42 minutes a game?

Mark Aguirre would be one but he got traded to a team too good to shine on. If Donovan ends up on the Nets as a 6th man his HOF chances drop like Marks.

Thars probably your best bet of not watching his HOF induction one day and accepting I was right. Injury, he runs into the Jazz front office and goes Deebo:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LiquidSphericalAmericanblackvulture-size_restricted.gif

on the GM, or he ends up on the most stacked lineup in the league which limits his production.

Thats about it. He’s Deron Williams with a great half career and nagging injuries that gradually make him a role player at worst. 95% of the time? This start has a great ending. Players like this don’t fall off for nothing.

Barring tragedy I’ll be right and you’ll be annoyed by your own stars greatness being acknowledged for a very long time. You’re probably in what will be remembered as the Mitchell era of the Jazz over your staunch drowned out objections.

Deron was the best player on his team and wasn't a gunner and even played some d. Don't think he was even a max player until he left here

Kblaze8855
06-18-2021, 08:10 AM
Well in what I’m sure is a shock for all of us....what you think isn’t true:

The Utah Jazz (https://www.espn.com/nba/clubhouse?team=uth) doled out big-money contracts to land free agents Carlos Boozer (https://www.espn.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3632) and Mehmet Okur (https://www.espn.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3547) in the summer of 2004. Four years later, the Jazz are ready to give star point guard Deron Williams (https://www.espn.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3929) his big payday, too.Williams' agent, Bob McClaren, told The Salt Lake Tribune on Thursday that Williams has agreed to a contract extension. The team has scheduled a news conference for 5 p.m. Eastern on Friday to announce the deal.
According to league sources, Williams agreed to a three-year extension with a player option for the fourth year. The deal will pay Williams the maximum allowed by the NBA's collective bargaining agreement and the earliest he can become a free agent would be the summer of 2012.
Williams' extension is similar to the one New Orleans point guard Chris Paul (https://www.espn.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3930) agreed to just 10 days ago. Lance Young, Paul's agent, said Paul agreed to a three-year extension with a player's option for a fourth year. The total value of Paul's deal is $68 million.
Although the exact value of Williams' extension won't be determined until the NBA sets its salary cap next July, the Tribune reports Williams will earn approximately $50 million for the first three years of the deal and as much as $70 million if he exercises the option.

Deron....Donovan...those types are always max players.

jayfan
06-18-2021, 08:26 AM

That's my question. He seems tired.

baudkarma
06-18-2021, 09:46 AM
Apparently Rick was caught between a rock and a hard place.

Trying to change his ways and bow down to Luka while also forced to obey this snake oil salesmen Voulgaris.

I'm guessing since the article came out both he and Nelson were both like "I'm too old for this shit, f'ck this I'm out. Good luck, Mark".

Underlying this is all the rape allegations in the organization. Doesn't sound like a particularly fun place to work right now.

Voulgaris was definitely the reason that Nelson and Carlisle left. From what I've heard he was the #2 main in the Mavs organization. He was approving all the trades and personnel moves, he was setting opening lineups and substitution patterns, he was essentially telling both of those guys how to do their jobs. We saw some strange timeouts and substitutions in the Clippers series, people were speculating Carlisles reasoning. Turns out he was just following orders. And everyone in the Mavs organization dislikes Voulgaris... except Mark Cuban, who is of course the only one who really matters.

My guess is that after the Clippers series, Nelson and Carlisle got together and told Cuban that if he didn't get rid of his gambler buddy, they were both walking. And Cuban declined to do so. Carlisle could have handled the Luka situation if he had had the authority. But the only real leverage a coach has over a superstar player is minutes. If the coach can't control that, then he can't control the player.

hold this L
06-18-2021, 10:15 AM
That's my question. He seems tired.

His goodbye message implied of his next coaching gig so yeah. At this point my guess is he goes to Boston or Milwaukee by the start of next season.

90sgoat
06-18-2021, 11:30 AM
Voulgaris was definitely the reason that Nelson and Carlisle left. From what I've heard he was the #2 main in the Mavs organization. He was approving all the trades and personnel moves, he was setting opening lineups and substitution patterns, he was essentially telling both of those guys how to do their jobs. We saw some strange timeouts and substitutions in the Clippers series, people were speculating Carlisles reasoning.

Not only does some of Carlisles rotations make no sense, but their choice of free agents and trades were all the more glaring.

Players like Josh Richardson and Delon Wright, were bench players who Voulgaris thought were overlooked analytics gems.'

In reality they were just ordinary players in circumstances which favored them.

That's the entire problem with the analytics movement. It's difficult to separate correlation and causation. Maybe Richardson and Wright were actually not that good players, they were just on a team and in a setting which fit their skills.

DMAVS41
06-18-2021, 11:33 AM
Voulgaris was definitely the reason that Nelson and Carlisle left. From what I've heard he was the #2 main in the Mavs organization. He was approving all the trades and personnel moves, he was setting opening lineups and substitution patterns, he was essentially telling both of those guys how to do their jobs. We saw some strange timeouts and substitutions in the Clippers series, people were speculating Carlisles reasoning. Turns out he was just following orders. And everyone in the Mavs organization dislikes Voulgaris... except Mark Cuban, who is of course the only one who really matters.

My guess is that after the Clippers series, Nelson and Carlisle got together and told Cuban that if he didn't get rid of his gambler buddy, they were both walking. And Cuban declined to do so. Carlisle could have handled the Luka situation if he had had the authority. But the only real leverage a coach has over a superstar player is minutes. If the coach can't control that, then he can't control the player.

This is almost for sure not what happened, but clearly the organization is in a bit of disarray right now. Voulgaris is really smart and opinionated...so I'm sure that rubs some of the older school guys the wrong way. He's also likely to be right more often than not.

The word on the street in Dallas is that he was against the Richardson deal and didn't play a role in the Kristaps trade. Can't verify that, but that could part of what is going on. If true, that would give Voulgaris some pretty solid reference points in debates or discussions about player movement.

Not sure how this all shakes out, but I'm sad to lose Rick. He was a great coach and did a lot of work in the community and represented Dallas very well in his tenure.

In terms of Donnie...he had his ups and downs, but at the end of the day...Dallas surrounded Dirk and now Luka with very little help comparatively if the measure is winning titles. Trades often didn't work out, missed out on finding gems in the draft, and could never get free agents. Without Dirk being all-time great and all-time loyal, it would have been a completely different situation.

Xiao Yao You
06-18-2021, 02:15 PM
Well in what I’m sure is a shock for all of us....what you think isn’t true:

Deron....Donovan...those types are always max players.

those types? A play making true pg and a gunner? Two different types

HBK_Kliq_2
06-18-2021, 04:11 PM
Rumor has it that he's going to either the pacers or the bucks. I knew that was what this was all about, he's scared shitless of Kawhi and wants to run to the eastern conference. Rick knows Luka can't beat Kawhi, so why try. Smart move by Rick.

HBK_Kliq_2
06-18-2021, 04:13 PM

Voulgaris is some goofy guy who plays on the show high stakes poker. They are actually taking basketball advice from him? hahahhaha what a disaster. Maybe dirk can fix things.

Kblaze8855
06-18-2021, 04:46 PM
those types? A play making true pg and a gunner? Two different types

Young productive HOF caliber talents. That type.

Whatever tier is below Mitchell gets max contracts too. Cj got a max deal from Portland(well depending on if you go by dollars or percentages). 100% of the people who decide who gets a max deal gives one to Mitchell. All there is to it.

imdaman99
06-18-2021, 05:05 PM
I'm sure it was a combination of the diva brothers luka and kp. Can't just blame luka da don

Duderonomy
06-18-2021, 05:14 PM
Jason Kidd is the rumored next hc. But Cuban is an idiot and doesn't think he needs a real gm.

King Kawhi
06-18-2021, 05:47 PM
something is brewing.