PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of Ben Simmons?

Boogaboog
06-18-2021, 08:11 PM
Why not just trade for John Wall at this point. Wall was a beast in the playoffs and not some weirdo afraid to shoot. Simmons has to be the most overrated NBA player of the past 30 years.

FultzNationRISE
06-18-2021, 08:30 PM
Why not just trade for John Wall at this point. Wall was a beast in the playoffs and not some weirdo afraid to shoot. Simmons has to be the most overrated NBA player of the past 30 years.

Yeahhhh, Kevin Love needs ya to take a big step back here my guy.

GOBB
06-18-2021, 08:52 PM
John wall? Bwhahaaaa good one

97 bulls
06-18-2021, 09:07 PM
Yeahhhh, Kevin Love needs ya to take a big step back here my guy.

Lol

DoctorP
06-18-2021, 09:28 PM
glorified glue guy

warriorfan
06-18-2021, 09:30 PM
wait.. lebron pre miami (a Simmons clone) wasn't valuable? but what about those 2 mvps he stole from kobe for just driving and dunking or making smart basketball decisions on a team that couldn't get over the hump but was always racking up wins in the meaningless regular season

shucks.. and all this time I thought l3bron was the best player in the world since 2006 like nick Wright seems to always boast

This. If Simmons left to collude with Steph Curry and AD like bron did he could win at least two titles in 4 years too.

SouBeachTalents
06-18-2021, 09:46 PM
wait.. lebron pre miami (a Simmons clone) wasn't valuable? but what about those 2 mvps he stole from kobe for just driving and dunking or making smart basketball decisions on a team that couldn't get over the hump but was always racking up wins in the meaningless regular season

shucks.. and all this time I thought l3bron was the best player in the world since 2006 like nick Wright seems to always boast
A Ben Simmons clone averages more ppg than Kobe? Yikes

PeroAntic
06-18-2021, 10:20 PM
He can bring the ball up the court. thats it.

imdaman99
06-18-2021, 10:43 PM
He blocked Trae when ice trae was about to get hot. So he has a lot of value defensively. Offensively, yeah he's gotta figure something out.

MrFonzworth
06-18-2021, 11:05 PM
What's the point of John Wall?

red1
06-18-2021, 11:26 PM

saying lebron is a ben simmons clone is equivalent to saying kobe is a bogdan bogdanović clone

Kblaze8855
06-19-2021, 12:03 AM
In one game his second season Lebron made more threes than Ben Simmons has his entire post high school life combined. Not surprised nobody remembers. He did this the same year:

https://youtu.be/ZKmRZVfBzvI

So it’s not like the 7 3 game was his best at the time. But yea....that guy dropping 56 and taking all kinds of i
jumpers all the time is Ben Simmons. I’m sure Ben is gonna rain this many consecutive wild long threes any minute now:

https://youtu.be/tyd4NPvzKQg

red1
06-19-2021, 01:28 AM
In one game his second season Lebron made more threes than Ben Simmons has his entire post high school life combined. Not surprised nobody remembers. He did this the same year:

So it’s not like the 7 3 game was his best at the time. But yea....that guy dropping 56 and taking all kinds of i
jumpers all the time is Ben Simmons. I’m sure Ben is gonna rain this many consecutive wild long threes any minute now:

that game was amazing I remember seeing those highlights right after it happened :applause:

austin carr going crazy "l-train" "deep in the bradley center!!" :oldlol:

LAL
06-19-2021, 01:46 AM

That's not a fair comparison, Ben is still trying to prove he can be the second best player on his team sometimes. Still struggling with that tho.

coin24
06-19-2021, 01:53 AM
Simmons is an immature loser, obviously doesn’t work on his game at all..

If the Sixers were smart they’d trade him

ArbitraryWater
06-19-2021, 03:28 AM

god pls dont make ppl this retarded anymore

LAL
06-19-2021, 03:44 AM
so you think that guy in Cleveland that needed wade to teach him not to sh*t his pants was actually the league mvp or best player and not just a stat padder taking advantage of a more relaxed regular season

you honestly believe he was as good as his stats and just lost to Dwight by accident

because I can tell you right now.. he was not that guy from 2013 yet

he didn't have a shot. he didn't have footwork. he didn't have a post game. he didn't wanna take tough shots. he air balled free throws. he was literally a baby learning how to play getting stats off pure athleticism, touches and free lanes to the hoop. when that sh*t ended so did lebrons season

This is beautuful. So true.

Lebron23
06-19-2021, 03:45 AM
This is beautuful. So true.

Are you an imbecile?? Cleveland LeBron and Joel Embiid would be winning multiple rings in today's NBA.

LAL
06-19-2021, 03:50 AM
Are you an imbecile?? Cleveland LeBron and Joel Embiid would be winning multiple rings in today's NBA.

Lebron wasn't the best player until Kobe ruptured his achilles. All the rest was stats and media hype, he could jump and run like a mad man. Kids loved that. But we're not kids.

I don't care what lebron and embid together would do.

LAL
06-19-2021, 03:53 AM
I'll give lebron 2011 & 2012? But he was so raw and flawed it was crazy. Hiding behind a fantasy eam scoring the easiest baskets looking like The Hulk.

red1
06-19-2021, 04:06 AM
so you think that guy in Cleveland that needed wade to teach him not to sh*t his pants was actually the league mvp or best player and not just a stat padder taking advantage of a more relaxed regular season

you honestly believe he was as good as his stats and just lost to Dwight by accident

because I can tell you right now.. he was not that guy from 2013 yet

he didn't have a shot. he didn't have footwork. he didn't have a post game. he didn't wanna take tough shots. he air balled free throws. he was literally a baby learning how to play getting stats off pure athleticism, touches and free lanes to the hoop. when that sh*t ended so did lebrons season

nah. wrong wrong wrong. his jumpshot for whatever reason was solid as a rock the final two years in cleveland. 2009 his jumpshot was wet.

if you know anything about basketball you know that it is easy to guard a team when there is only one weapon. literally all you have to do is put all of the attention on lebron and when he kicks it out for wide open shots for mo williams and delonte they just bricked the wide open shots.... I watched every game...

who else ever did shit on the cavs?

meanwhile dwight had rashard and hedo lighting it up for him while he feasted on an old man - odom and gasol locked dwight down.

2009 lebron >> 2009 kobe

you guys need to let it go. 2009 cleveland lebron is FAR better than any version of kobe.

red1
06-19-2021, 04:07 AM

if you gave embiid 2009 lebron it wouldnt even be fair....

red1
06-19-2021, 04:10 AM

this is my advice to these kobe stans:

https://youtu.be/yWEsAFV5jqg?t=37

just let it go

Spurs m8
06-19-2021, 07:17 AM
There's an ad on TV here being played a lot at the moment - for a pie - and Simmons is in it.

They're literally taking the piss out of his 3 shooting and he's part of it.
So I guess he doesn't really give AF himself tbh

nayte
06-19-2021, 07:41 AM
Dude.. Simmons is gonna ball for us in the Olympics. Don't hate

06-19-2021, 07:42 AM

:roll:

Spurs m8
06-19-2021, 07:45 AM

Well...Patty seems to lift his game in the Aussie gear, so there's hope.

We'll see

GOBB
06-19-2021, 09:15 AM
Simmons is an immature loser, obviously doesn’t work on his game at all..

If the Sixers were smart they’d trade him

You do realize players can work on something and not be good at it? Even if they are good it won’t make them great at it. This idea that Ben. This idea that Ben doesn’t work on his game is a funny one. No one including me has any real evidence to support the claim. So we assume based on his performance 5 nba seasons in? He’s not working on it. I use logic and common sense. There are videos of Ben training and working on shooting from all areas of the floor including the beloved 3 that fans like yourself pop a woody over. There are videos of Ben shooting before games, warm ups. So why isn’t it translating into the nba games? Maybe just maybe he’s not good at it? Maybe in his mind (key point) he isn’t confident/comfortable? Why? Who knows I’m no sports psychologist. But the notion Ben doesn’t work on his game is laughable.

He’s got to be one of the few players in nba history to not work on their game and be a multiple all star, all nba selection, all defensive selections, 2nd in voting for DPOY. At age 24. Amazing. Imagine if he worked on his game you say. (Sarcasm)

But yes Sixers would be wise to trade him. If they are getting back an all star caliber, all star scoring guard. Otherwise trading him just to bring back draft picks, bench players and cap clearers is moronic.

Jasper
06-19-2021, 10:13 AM
good point Gobb... but like any pro they work on things to make their game better.
Best example in modern day bball was Jason Kidd. At an older age he knew to be AFFECTIVE he had to create of all things
a 3 point shot. (That three point shot was basically a Majic Johnson set shoot that opened his game for penetration even at his age.)
Simmons is a quark that as a PG should develop a low post game.
This could be highly successful , with Embid working off the high post and could be a feed back / but the point is Simmons typically is
a giant against your average PG size. Using his height advantage and scoring 15 points a game just on the blocks keeps the defense honest.

coin24
06-19-2021, 10:21 AM
You do realize players can work on something and not be good at it? Even if they are good it won’t make them great at it. This idea that Ben. This idea that Ben doesn’t work on his game is a funny one. No one including me has any real evidence to support the claim. So we assume based on his performance 5 nba seasons in? He’s not working on it. I use logic and common sense. There are videos of Ben training and working on shooting from all areas of the floor including the beloved 3 that fans like yourself pop a woody over. There are videos of Ben shooting before games, warm ups. So why isn’t it translating into the nba games? Maybe just maybe he’s not good at it? Maybe in his mind (key point) he isn’t confident/comfortable? Why? Who knows I’m no sports psychologist. But the notion Ben doesn’t work on his game is laughable.

He’s got to be one of the few players in nba history to not work on their game and be a multiple all star, all nba selection, all defensive selections, 2nd in voting for DPOY. At age 24. Amazing. Imagine if he worked on his game you say. (Sarcasm)

But yes Sixers would be wise to trade him. If they are getting back an all star caliber, all star scoring guard. Otherwise trading him just to bring back draft picks, bench players and cap clearers is moronic.

I’m not obsessed with the 3 at all, but by him not even attempting any it means the defense can play 5 on 4 against them when he’s on the floor.
Apart from dunking he doesn’t shoot the ball AT ALL.

I’ve seen the videos you’re talking about of him shooting fadeaways and turnarounds etc in pre season and practice, then in games he won’t attempt any of it.
His free throw shooting is horrendous, there is no way on earth anyone who practices would shoot that badly.
I know his dad couldn’t shoot for shit either though.

GOBB
06-19-2021, 10:21 AM
I totally agree there. Ben should be working on a post game to take advantage of his size. Right now he’s wasting his measurables and it’s sad. I’ve always been one who said screw the jumper stuff get a post game. Closer to basket, you have the size. You have vision/passing ability where if you become effective they will start to cheat maaaaaaybe throw a double. Lots of positives I can see wit that vs him going out there making it rain dance and resembling Giannis, Westbrook. Guys whose defenders play off them and will live with them shooting.

That I don’t think he’s working on. That I don’t think he feels he needs to add. That I don’t think no coaches have approached him and make him try it in practice and/or games.

Jasper
06-19-2021, 10:30 AM
I’m not obsessed with the 3 at all, but by him not even attempting any it means the defense can play 5 on 4 against them when he’s on the floor.

I’ve seen the videos you’re talking about of him shooting fadeaways and turnarounds etc in pre season and practice, then in games he won’t attempt any of it.
His free throw shooting is horrendous, there is no way on earth anyone who practices would shoot that badly.
A player of his height has issues , bending his knees and shooting a free throw. Watch bean pole Durant how he works his free throw one of the best in the league.
Simmons should try using the backboard , easier to see at his height , I can guarantee he would hit a minimum of 55-65%.
If he tried under hand he would bend his knees.

Gobb-
That I don’t think he’s working on. That I don’t think he feels he needs to add. That I don’t think no coaches have approached him and make him try it in practice and/or games.

This is why Rivers was brought in - Rivers has failed Simmons potential as a coach.

GOBB
06-19-2021, 10:45 AM

Here the thing fans kind of ignore. It can be 5 on 4 with him shooting the ball. What changes if Ben shoots the ball like you say? Defenses aren’t defending him any different with him shooting vs with him not. So tell me the positives of him just shooting a shot he will miss more often than not. No one is afraid of Giannis and Westbrook shooting the ball. Those are guys who shoot. And guess what? Some often ask “why”. Westbrook all series vs sixers they just played off him. I’m talkin Westbrook is dribbling at the FT line and his defender still gave him that shot. So what does that open up for an offense?

I think the idea fans who want to see Ben shoot have is this. He will make a few and somehow it’ll change how he’s being defended thus it’ll open up some other area in the halfcourt. Is that it?

Jasper
06-19-2021, 11:03 AM
As we all know Simmons is similar to Giannis driving to the hoop with a miss matched player defending his because of his height.
He should and will continue to do this throughout his career.
When I see him play in the playoff's he seems to lose confidence in his play in general.
I think it stems from free throws.
When a guy misses as he does , he doesn't want to go there.
THEY ARE FREE.

Maybe Simmons should go to a sports shrink ... could not hurt

8Ball
06-19-2021, 11:35 AM
I totally agree there. Ben should be working on a post game to take advantage of his size. Right now he’s wasting his measurables and it’s sad. I’ve always been one who said screw the jumper stuff get a post game. Closer to basket, you have the size. You have vision/passing ability where if you become effective they will start to cheat maaaaaaybe throw a double. Lots of positives I can see wit that vs him going out there making it rain dance and resembling Giannis, Westbrook. Guys whose defenders play off them and will live with them shooting.

They won't run post ups anymore under Doc and Morey. They hate post ups analytically unless they have a huge mismatch with a skilled offensive big being defended by a guard.

Even Bron barely does deep position post ups any more.

Ben isn't big and strong enough to abuse even a player like KCP.

coin24
06-19-2021, 11:36 AM
Here the thing fans kind of ignore. It can be 5 on 4 with him shooting the ball. What changes if Ben shoots the ball like you say? Defenses aren’t defending him any different with him shooting vs with him not. So tell me the positives of him just shooting a shot he will miss more often than not. No one is afraid of Giannis and Westbrook shooting the ball. Those are guys who shoot. And guess what? Some often ask “why”. Westbrook all series vs sixers they just played off him. I’m talkin Westbrook is dribbling at the FT line and his defender still gave him that shot. So what does that open up for an offense?

I think the idea fans who want to see Ben shoot have is this. He will make a few and somehow it’ll change how he’s being defended thus it’ll open up some other area in the halfcourt. Is that it?

I think it would help greatly in the playoffs in a half court set getting an easy basket.
Currently Simmons gets benched cause he’s a liability at the line and he can’t create anything for himself except for a dunk.
Agreed he should be working on a post game/ use his size to his advantage and work on a mid range game..

There are plenty of players 6’10” plus that can shoot reliably from the line. I don’t buy the height thing as an excuse

Chick Stern
06-19-2021, 11:58 AM
Can we give him to Canada?

I can remember when the Philly-stans and the Ringer podcast kept touting him as the next MVP.
”As soon as he gets his shot!”

https://media.giphy.com/media/5G98t8QjqBLK8/giphy.gif

beasted
06-19-2021, 12:29 PM
As we all know Simmons is similar to Giannis driving to the hoop with a miss matched player defending his because of his height.
He should and will continue to do this throughout his career.
When I see him play in the playoff's he seems to lose confidence in his play in general.
I think it stems from free throws.
When a guy misses as he does , he doesn't want to go there.
THEY ARE FREE.

Maybe Simmons should go to a sports shrink ... could not hurt

Exactly. It's mental.

Shaq was never not aggressive despite being a horrid FT shooter.

GOBB
06-19-2021, 12:45 PM
Exactly. It's mental.

Shaq was never not aggressive despite being a horrid FT shooter.

Well according to some here. It all relates. If you’re a horrid FT shooter that means you’re less aggressive because you are afraid of going to the FT line. So you play passive and just casually fall back and do nothing on offense. The greater the free shooter you are the more aggressive a player you are. Again according to the guys who play basketball, know basketball here that is.

LAL
06-19-2021, 10:47 PM
Well according to some here. It all relates. If you’re a horrid FT shooter that means you’re less aggressive because you are afraid of going to the FT line. So you play passive and just casually fall back and do nothing on offense. The greater the free shooter you are the more aggressive a player you are. Again according to the guys who play basketball, know basketball here that is.

Nice try but yes, in Simmons case it's obvious. It only gets worse in 4th quarters and playoffs. It looks terrible. It relates to his offensive game in general and him hiding except on D or fast breaks.

Only time Embid really played with a legit All Star was with Jimmy Butler. Poor guy. All he has is Seth Curry and 2nd option Tobias it seems.

Boogaboog
06-20-2021, 09:20 PM
Nice try but yes, in Simmons case it's obvious. It only gets worse in 4th quarters and playoffs. It looks terrible. It relates to his offensive game in general and him hiding except on D or fast breaks.

Only time Embid really played with a legit All Star was with Jimmy Butler. Poor guy. All he has is Seth Curry and 2nd option Tobias it seems.

Seth balling. Simmons should donate some of his salary to him.

coin24
06-20-2021, 09:26 PM
Where is little Ben today?

PWB15
06-20-2021, 09:57 PM
Why is trae on the bench to start the 4th with a 5 pt lead>

Wally450
06-20-2021, 10:24 PM
Just passed up a wide open dunk.

Thenameless
06-20-2021, 10:27 PM
What is the point of Ben Simmons?

Someone has to be the butt of the jokes.

Boogaboog
06-20-2021, 10:40 PM
I don't understand how this guy gets all-NBA berths while being so one-dimensional. It's insane. Aside from bringing the ball up the court, he's useless on offense.