PDA

View Full Version : So who's the best in the world right now?

paksat
06-20-2021, 11:52 AM
durant is clearly the best scorer, but is that enough to make up for the kind of defense you can get from giannis and kawhi?

i'm taking kawhi 1st overall personally, he can be awkward at time but he gets the job done

Gohan
06-20-2021, 11:59 AM
im taking curry just give me a better team

Bronbron23
06-20-2021, 12:00 PM
I made a thread predicting greek would be the best player in the world and start winning multiple chips either this year or next. Based on how his game has looked this post season i would of said it wouldn't be this year but because of all the injuries he may get lucky. I'll stick to my guns and say greek but it's close between him, kd, kawhi, luka and Embiid

Phoenix
06-20-2021, 12:09 PM
There's like 5 guys who genuinely could be called that on any given night and it wouldn't be completely laughable. I would say a (healthy) Durant but Giannis is 6 years younger, more durable and physically dominant, and seems like more of a floor-raiser. Durant has greater portability but he's more fragile and probably has 2-3 years left at THIS level but he's aged out of top 3 player status. But right now, the Nets injuries more or less made the series even money and Giannis came out on top. If the Bucks go on to win the title there's gonna be a ton of 'injury' asterisks arguments used against him, but Freak has straight balled this playoffs. He 'should' be considered the best if he's the last man standing and then its his title to lose next year.

06-20-2021, 12:10 PM
giannis. and he will be for the next decade. he's basically the new shaq/lebron bully.of the nba that refs protect and never call violations or charges against

:cheers:

paksat
06-20-2021, 12:17 PM
giannis. and he will be for the next decade. he's basically the new shaq/lebron bully.of the nba that refs protect and never call violations or charges against

he's cleaned that up this year, was carrying and shoving people last playoffs it was honestly comical

but he's looking like a real ball player now

ImKobe
06-20-2021, 12:18 PM

How's he the BITW when KD just outplayed him all series?

Akeem34TheDream
06-20-2021, 12:18 PM
Kawhi or AD

GOBB
06-20-2021, 12:21 PM
No clear cut best player. Don’t be prisoners of moment.

Akeem34TheDream
06-20-2021, 12:29 PM

Don't be a pvssy. Pick a guy. Pick Embiid.

StrongLurk
06-20-2021, 12:34 PM
Durant is number one, Kawhi number 2.

Everything else is up for grabs.

Gohan
06-20-2021, 12:45 PM
Durant is number one, Kawhi number 2.

Everything else is up for grabs.

1. curry
2. durant
3.embiid

Stephonit
06-20-2021, 12:48 PM
Curry.

Brasileiro
06-20-2021, 12:48 PM
Paul George.

Naero
06-20-2021, 12:51 PM
In a vacuum of dominance, easily Durant, especially after a series for the ages. We’ll have to see how the rest of this postseason shakes out, but one of these remaining superstars will have to significantly outperform him to depose him in my book.

Narrative-wise, however, Giannis, Embiid, or Kawhi might get more traction if they win it all. It’d be like Kobe in ‘09 and ‘10: the NBA intelligentsia would agree there’re better players, but the results-oriented casuals would lean towards the championship-winning superstar.

GOBB
06-20-2021, 01:04 PM
Don't be a pvssy. Pick a guy. Pick Embiid.

Durant. Call me out my name again I’ll pull up to your home and pummel you in front of your family.

Akeem34TheDream
06-20-2021, 01:09 PM
Durant. Call me out my name again I’ll pull up to your home and pummel you in front of your family.

:roll:

MadDog
06-20-2021, 01:30 PM
Between Durant and Kawhi. Giannis has the best defensive impact, but the other 2 are better scorers and playmakers.

tpols
06-20-2021, 01:41 PM
Durant or Curry. They just have had the misfortune of being on poor and/or injured teams all year.

tpols
06-20-2021, 01:46 PM

This is very true. With Giannis, you have no options but to let him shoot because if he drives:

A) You get ran over and dunked on.

B) You stand your ground and he hits you then falls to the floor for FTs.

C) You get in perfect position to draw a charge and he euro steps through it so it looks like you werent perfectly in front and he gets FTs.

He's mastered the art of either bullying for a layup and/or dunk when you don't hit back, or euro stepping and flopping when you do.

fsvr54
06-20-2021, 01:47 PM
Kawhi

Spain_
06-20-2021, 01:57 PM
Solomon Hill

Can't think of a guy that had a bigger impact this year, he dictates where the league goes, absolute GOAT.

Gohan
06-20-2021, 02:24 PM
This is very true. With Giannis, you have no options but to let him shoot because if he drives:

C) You get in perfect position to draw a charge and he euro steps through it so it looks like you werent perfectly in front and he gets FTs.

He's mastered the art of either bullying for a layup and/or dunk when you don't hit back, or euro stepping and flopping when you do.
t
in game 7 durant was doing exactly what you accuse giannis of doing. he's no saint

red1
06-20-2021, 02:36 PM
kd maybe kawhi.

lebron might still be the most valuable. he will lead the lakers to another ring if they get AD healthy.

Real Men Wear Green
06-20-2021, 02:38 PM
Because he is arguably top 5 on both ends i am inclined to say Antetokuonmpo but it's weird to say a guy that can't close is #1. My next thought is Leonard but he needs too much rest and still can't stay healthy. Same problem with AD and same problem with Durant. So I will go with Doncic even though he's not much of a defender.

tpols
06-20-2021, 03:16 PM
t
in game 7 durant was doing exactly what you accuse giannis of doing. he's no saint

Durant has his own style of flopping for sure. Would never deny that although he wasn't paraded to the FT line like Giannis. Post the FT disparity from game 7 mate.

Overall,though I do agree with you. I wish we could have games with no free throws. It would be tremendously interesting since defenders would finally be able to hit lower skilled guys like giannis, shaq, and lebron back but softer stars like KD wouldn't get bailed out on their lightweight rip through and flail calls.

Only true bucket getters with a perfect combination of skill and strength would win in those cirumcstances.

GOBB
06-20-2021, 04:25 PM
Because he is arguably top 5 on both ends i am inclined to say Antetokuonmpo but it's weird to say a guy that can't close is #1. My next thought is Leonard but he needs too much rest and still can't stay healthy. Same problem with AD and same problem with Durant. So I will go with Doncic even though he's not much of a defender.

Top 5 defenders? That’s cap. Especially after my guy locked down Harris in the corner while Durant ate.

theballerFKA Ace
06-20-2021, 04:43 PM
These guys are getting old. By this time next year it will be

Giannis
Luka
Joker

BallsOut
06-20-2021, 04:51 PM
1a.
1b.

Kawhi Leonard and Kevin Durant

It's been that way for awhile now. Since 2016 I would say

Thenameless
06-20-2021, 05:13 PM
Isn't Jokic in this discussion? He just won a well deserved MVP.

Lebron, Kawhi, Durant, and Giannis all have better support.

j3lademaster
06-20-2021, 05:34 PM

I think Giannis’s euro gets called just like anyone else’s. If you impede someone in the middle of their move they do typically get a call in their favor. Problem is Giannis literally euros from the top of the key. I hope the nba does something about how this gets called. I never thought id see the day the eurostep became ugly to me.

GOBB
06-20-2021, 06:51 PM
Isn't Jokic in this discussion? He just won a well deserved MVP.

Lebron, Kawhi, Durant, and Giannis all have better support.

Better season is one thing. Outside of just this season is where most people rank players.

dbugz
06-20-2021, 06:54 PM
KD
Janis
Kawhi

ArbitraryWater
06-20-2021, 06:56 PM
you take some mix of curry/harden/giannis/luka/kd/kawhi/jokic/embiid/lebron

any of these 8

tanibanana
06-20-2021, 06:58 PM
The 10th (Kawhi) player is virtually as good as the best #1 player (Durant).
That is how deep the top tier is. Look at the All NBA teams...
Embiid & Lillard not even 1st team. Booker, Mitchell, Trae outside of top-15 (not 3rd team all star).
So so deep... Being at the top is no longer lonely.

ArbitraryWater
06-20-2021, 07:00 PM
The 10th (Kawhi) player is virtually as good as the best #1 player (Durant).
That is how deep the top tier is. Look at the All NBA teams...
Embiid & Lillard not even 1st team. Booker, Mitchell, Trae outside of top-15 (not 3rd team all star).
So so deep... Being at the top is no longer lonely.

bingo

Spurs m8
06-20-2021, 07:01 PM

This

FKAri
06-20-2021, 07:16 PM
Whoever ESPN says is.

Axe
06-20-2021, 07:25 PM
But remember. No klay, no play dear. :(

King Kawhi
06-20-2021, 07:42 PM
Kawhi. Simply due to him being able to lock up basically anyone when it counts plus his ability to score.

And1AllDay
06-20-2021, 08:59 PM
1a.
1b.

Kawhi Leonard and Kevin Durant

It's been that way for awhile now. Since 2016 I would say

https://i.postimg.cc/zXdxv8ph/DamnKiwi.png

https://i.postimg.cc/G35Y9hm1/Durchoke_fails_again.png

https://i.postimg.cc/d3M23xv0/Le-Bron-3-1-King.jpg

next

Wally450
06-20-2021, 09:00 PM
I still say Durant.

Spurs m8
06-20-2021, 09:02 PM
Kawhi. Simply due to him being able to lock up basically anyone when it counts plus his ability to score.

This guy acting like it's 2015 lmao

hold this L
06-20-2021, 10:01 PM
1. Curry
2. KD

3. Healthy Lebron
4. Healthy Harden
5. Giannis
6. AD

And1AllDay
06-20-2021, 10:13 PM
1. Curry
2. KD

3. Healthy Lebron
4. Healthy Harden
5. Giannis
6. AD

cap

Ice Trae
06-20-2021, 10:24 PM
Trae Young

Axe
06-20-2021, 10:28 PM
Trae Young
:cheers:

Taurus
06-20-2021, 10:51 PM
Durant, but there’s no consensus right now

72-10
06-20-2021, 11:08 PM
most definitely not Trae Young

there's guitarists with more skill:applause:

OrlandoMagicGuy
06-21-2021, 12:22 AM
Durant > Kawhi > AD > Everyone Else

KD is the best offensive player while Kawhi & AD are the best two-way players,I'm reluctant to throw Giannis in there because he's still lacking in a consistent jumper/post game and his defense is a little overrated,AD was robbed of a DPOY from last year.

Kawhi and LeBrick won due to KD being out and this year it's the same thing except it's KD's teammates and the Bucks are lucky KD's feet touched the 3 point line otherwise if it was behind it that shot would've gave the Nets the victory,that shows you how great of a scorer KD really is.

Full Court
06-21-2021, 12:44 AM
KD did enough this playoffs to convince me he's the best in the world right now. You'd have a tough time convincing me anyone else is better.

1987_Lakers
06-21-2021, 12:46 AM
Durant or a healthy LeBron.

basketballcat
06-21-2021, 12:47 AM
PER
#1 Kawhi
#6 Durant

Win shares
#1 Kawhi
#2 Durant

Box +/-
#3 Kawhi
#4 Durant

VORP
#1 Durant
#2 Kawhi
This is very close, however. 1.5 for Durant, 1.4 for Kawhi.

Kawhi is #2 in steals per game (#1 is Kyle Anderson on a shorter stint)
Durant is #4 in blocks per game. Lopez is ahead of him at #3.

The only area where people think Durant reigns supreme is scoring. However, he is not as "clearly ahead" as some people might think.
Durant is 34.3 ppg while Kawhi is 30.4 ppg.
However, Durant has 51.4% FG% while Kawhi is at 57.3%. Kawhi is also ahead in true shooting %. Kawhi is at 67.9% while Durant is at 63.0%.

Durant looks the part, because of the smoothness of his jumper. I get it, he looks amazing with those. However, if you actually dive into the details, Kawhi's body of work is better.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2021.html

dreamshake
06-21-2021, 12:47 AM
Is it ignorant to ignore regular people when considering who is the best basketball player in the world? What if there was a better KD out there right now that just decided not to play basketball professionally?

basketballcat
06-21-2021, 12:48 AM

Trae is in the conference finals with a so-so team. Curry didn't even make the playoffs twice in a row.

basketballcat
06-21-2021, 12:53 AM
Is it ignorant to ignore regular people when considering who is the best basketball player in the world? What if there was a better KD out there right now that just decided not to play basketball professionally?

If I discover mathematical theorems that seem great to me and my friends but never publish it, am I considered a great mathematician? Don't I need to pass the rigour of peer review? If I do great on a backyard court, does it mean that don't need to test my mettle against NBA players?

dbugz
06-21-2021, 06:08 AM
libron fans so disappointed they aint seeing him on the list :roll: :roll:

not even top 10 :oldlol: :roll:

Axe
06-21-2021, 06:28 AM
Trae is in the conference finals with a so-so team. Curry didn't even make the playoffs twice in a row.
This.

Phoenix
06-21-2021, 07:11 AM
PER
#1 Kawhi
#6 Durant

Win shares
#1 Kawhi
#2 Durant

Box +/-
#3 Kawhi
#4 Durant

VORP
#1 Durant
#2 Kawhi

The only area where people think Durant reigns supreme is scoring. However, he is not as "clearly ahead" as some people might think.
However, Durant has 51.4% FG% while Kawhi is at 57.3%. Kawhi is also ahead in true shooting %. Kawhi is at 67.9% while Durant is at 63.0%.

Durant looks the part, because of the smoothness of his jumper. I get it, he looks amazing with those. However, if you actually dive into the details, Kawhi's body of work is better.

Cool, another 'an*l-lytiks' stat page watcher on ISH. We don't have enough of those.

NBAGOAT
06-21-2021, 07:25 AM
kawhi KD are great scorers but kind of meh playmakers and not hugely positive defenders. You can argue jokic does more offensively for his team with his scoring+passing and he lost this year because murray is out. If I had to pick best in the world I'm going Curry still, he's still historically great on offense. idc that he lost the playin, his team was a joke offensively

basketballcat
06-21-2021, 07:39 AM
Cool, another 'an*l-lytiks' stat page watcher on ISH. We don't have enough of those.

"hurr durr, my brain can only process narratives"

Gohan
06-21-2021, 09:06 AM
kawhi KD are great scorers but kind of meh playmakers and not hugely positive defenders. You can argue jokic does more offensively for his team with his scoring+passing and he lost this year because murray is out. If I had to pick best in the world I'm going Curry still, he's still historically great on offense. idc that he lost the playin, his team was a joke offensively

this is spot on

Phoenix
06-21-2021, 10:12 AM
"hurr durr, my brain can only process narratives"

'hurr durr, my brain can onlee process statzzzzzz derp herp'

MadDog
06-21-2021, 11:20 AM
PER
#1 Kawhi
#6 Durant

Win shares
#1 Kawhi
#2 Durant

Box +/-
#3 Kawhi
#4 Durant

VORP
#1 Durant
#2 Kawhi

Props for posting the data. But you don't need numbers to know what's good. They're 1 and 2 in either order. Both have the best isolation skill and are bucket getters when the game slows. They're respectable on defense too. On any given night, they can clamp your teams perimeter star.

Ice Trae
06-21-2021, 12:01 PM
I don't really care about the stats but the way I see who is the best is...who can you put on any sh!t team with random roster and who I have the most confidence that they will make them a winning team.

dankok8
06-21-2021, 02:51 PM
I have to say KD even though I like Kawhi more and think he has a case.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
06-21-2021, 03:53 PM
KD
Kawhi
Giannis
Jokic
Dame
Steph
AD
Embiid
Luka
Harden
CP3
George
Trae
Mitchell
Booker
Ja

Gohan
06-21-2021, 03:56 PM
Harden and steph is being underrated cause they didnt do anything in the playoffs

cj2k
06-21-2021, 04:14 PM
I think you got to still go with Durant as best in the world