PDA

View Full Version : “Ain’t no one better and when I’m on the microphone you best to wear your sweater...

Kblaze8855
06-23-2021, 10:44 AM
...cause I’m cooler than a polar bears toenail.”

Always loved that line. And I’d absolutely have a 70 post discussion right now on how many songs Big Boi out rapped goat candidate and partner Andre 3000 and find some way to tie it into less respected sidekicks who often outshined the “star”....but I’d rather focus on the “cool” aspect.

So....

Who you giving “Cooler than a polar bear toenail” status based on the following examples?

Derek Mckey hits back to back go ahead shots to win a playoff series and responds only with a single clap and walk off the court:

https://youtu.be/_zJGrWrY_Jk

Kobe with the famous Barnes incident:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DimpledForthrightLadybug-size_restricted.gif

Derrick Rose game winner vs the Cavs?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FineUnripeHypsilophodon-size_restricted.gif

Dame had a similar one that reached meme status.

Of course we have to consider Larry Bird absolutely no selling Reggies 98 game winner vs the Bulls.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AncientAncientBeardedcollie-size_restricted.gif

That’s probably it right? Has anyone even appeared to give less of a **** about something spectacular?

I remember Isiah Thomas swinging twice at Rock Mahorn who didn’t even acknowledge him. That was pretty cool or at least “unbothered” but I think Bird or Kobe wins this one.

ShawkFactory
06-23-2021, 10:49 AM
He gets completely underrated because of Andre but he didn't come out the victor all that often IMO. Particularly on Atliens and Aquemini

Gohan
06-23-2021, 10:53 AM
He gets completely underrated because of Andre but he didn't come out the victor all that often IMO. Particularly on Atliens and Aquemini

i personally think he was better on elevators than 3000

Kblaze8855
06-23-2021, 10:54 AM
I’d say they are closer to equals the earlier you go. Andre really got goat status off mostly features and random singles the last 20 years. On the albums Big always held his own. Andre didn’t have the conversational flow that lets him shine back then. He was rapping his ass off back then too but in a different way.

ShawkFactory
06-23-2021, 11:04 AM
I’d say they are closer to equals the earlier you go. Andre really got goat status off mostly features and random singles the last 20 years. On the albums Big always held his own. Andre didn’t have the conversational flow that lets him shine back then. He was rapping his ass off back then too but in a different way.

I always viewed it as opposites attracting with those two. Big Boi always had the flow and was able to hold his own because of it but even in the earlier days Andre always was able to convey more interesting things in a more interesting manner.

His last verse in the OP song is a good example of that for me, and why he ultimately wins this song.

Then the Aquemini title tracks shows both sides of him, the conversational and the ridiculous flow. You're right in that 16 aint enough and things like that elevated him truly, but he was able to cross over into things like that pretty early on.

There's a few where Andre just crushes him (Mainstream, Rosa Parks, Aqeumini, etc.) but almost never the other way around. When Big got him it'd be more of an "ok I'll give him that one". For me Jazzy Belle and Storytellin 2 off the top of my head are that way.

FKAri
06-23-2021, 11:08 AM
But how many of them could also convincingly feign empathy at the drop of a hat? That's what made Kobe special.

Kblaze8855
06-23-2021, 11:10 AM
Jazzy belle was one I was thinking. And Spootieoopadopalicious(I’m not looking up the spelling). Andre was cool as usual but Big was just more descriptive. This topic was almost “Smooth like a hot comb on nappy ass hair...”. I’m on an outlast thing lately. I’m in Atlanta for a while but that isn’t why. I just go back now and then.

You hear that Big is putting the original house the dungeon recorded in on air bnb for 25 dollars a night?

ShawkFactory
06-23-2021, 11:16 AM
I didn't :lol

He always seemed like he'd be really successful whether he held his own to Andre or not though.

Kblaze8855
06-23-2021, 11:23 AM
Goes live on Friday with a secret name. 25 dollars a night and no more than 3 days so nobody just books it all summer.

dreamshake
06-23-2021, 04:57 PM
Cool thread. I’m guessing Tim Duncan had a lot of these moments too right? I remember someone trying to talk smack to him during a game but he didn’t say anything back and just dominated.

Young X
06-23-2021, 07:13 PM
Lord Infamous > Andre 3000

Reggie43
06-23-2021, 07:54 PM
Some of those just look forced in trying to keep their emotions inside except for Derrick McKey just being Derrick Mckey.

MrFonzworth
06-23-2021, 08:46 PM
https://youtu.be/fEkgaLj-5XA

ShawkFactory
06-23-2021, 09:40 PM

Not even close.

Give each of them 100 tracks together and Andre is better on 95 of them. Not even an exaggeration.

Being purposefully edgy doesn't necessarily mean you're interesting (speaking about Infamous not you in case that wasn't clear).

red1
06-23-2021, 09:52 PM
lillard comes to mind immediately. multi-time winner of the cold-blooded gangster award. he's the emotionless opposite of westbrook.

Bawkish
06-23-2021, 11:03 PM
That Bird stone faced reaction was because there's still time left and he knows who will take that last shot

BarberSchool
06-24-2021, 12:35 AM
You’re looking for Bronson in the first two DEATH WISH films Kblaze.
The first two Predator films also loaded with it.
Bill Murray as Pete Venkman.

OutKast from 94-98 >>> anything else either of em did since.

Best nonchalant recent buzzer beaters have all been Dame Lillard.
Best all time for cold blooded endgame shit is Bird.
Mike is the all time greatest. No question.
but Bird for the game talking Yang to Xavier McDaniel takes the cake.
He told Xavier exactly what the play was because he was that confident it would work and wanted the greatest degree of challenge to make it more interesting for himself.

Young X
06-24-2021, 01:21 AM
Not even close.

Give each of them 100 tracks together and Andre is better on 95 of them. Not even an exaggeration.

Being purposefully edgy doesn't necessarily mean you're interesting (speaking about Infamous not you in case that wasn't clear).
It's definitely close, they are two of the best ever from the south.

Kblaze8855
06-24-2021, 10:19 AM

That’s the weirdest southern hip hop take I’ve heard since a kid told me Gorilla Zoe was second best out of the south after Gucci.

Lord Infamous isn’t even top 5 out of Tennessee. Both 8 ball and mjg pick their teeth with Lord Infamous.

Kblaze8855
06-24-2021, 10:23 AM
Not even close.

100 out of 100. Infamous never caught up with what Andre was doing when he was an unknown on TLCs album. In fact he’d be the worst rapper on that track after both Andre and Left eye.

eliteballer
06-24-2021, 04:18 PM
This channel kblaze: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC5RtvE80x0BhfOHjcLza7vw/videos

Young X
06-25-2021, 01:11 AM
That’s the weirdest southern hip hop take I’ve heard since a kid told me Gorilla Zoe was second best out of the south after Gucci.

Lord Infamous isn’t even top 5 out of Tennessee. Both 8 ball and mjg pick their teeth with Lord Infamous.
Nah, I don't think you guys listen to Triple 6 Mafia in their underground days in the mid 90's. He killed every song he was on. Saying he wasn't even top 5 in Memphis is crazy.

BigShotBob
06-25-2021, 01:51 AM
3 stacks verses on Elevators and Rosa Parks are enough to cement him comfortably over pretty much anybody. Just a master class of lyricism, visual story telling, and flow.

Kblaze8855
06-25-2021, 09:11 AM
I’ve been in the south their entire run. My two best friends are big time fans of theirs which forced them on me even when I didn’t care to hear it. One of them still reps Playa Fly who you know was there in the old days. I’ve heard all their work. None of them is an especially good rapper. In that whole crew the one one who id listen to solo is Project Pat because he’s objectively hilarious. I play Gorilla Pimp for any young people I happen to be hanging out with in general principle. I’m personally responsible for at least 20 young white kids who know to buy her Taco Bell while you eat steak.

None of them are just good rappers though. They were always about production and energy. I’ll listen to who got dem 9s in the right setting or a number of the old songs really....but nothing is ****ing with Andre or any of the top tier southern rappers.

Feel free to give me evidence otherwise but I can tell you it won’t be anything close to:

https://youtu.be/kl4HcLbWlzM

And that’s just stopping by every couple years pretty much retired Andre.

Nobody in 36 could ever rap like that.

tpols
06-25-2021, 09:19 AM
Best rappers came from NYC.

Kblaze8855
06-25-2021, 11:39 AM
Best rappers came from NYC.

About 3 of my top 10 do. Do me a favor when you have a moment and listen to this:

https://youtu.be/2SivohXth2Q

A recent discussion left me with the idea you think 2 chainz is somehow the standard and I’m wondering what you might feel about an actual good southern rapper. Real instruments. An actual songwriter. A fairly normal song from him. Just give me a general opinion...knowing I don’t actually expect you to like it.

Kblaze8855
06-25-2021, 11:40 AM
This channel kblaze: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC5RtvE80x0BhfOHjcLza7vw/videos

I’ll add it to the list. Anything showing me 1993 on a regular basis works for me.

DJmicah
06-25-2021, 01:00 PM
Bro I know ill probably get flamed for this but i think Big Boi got Dre on Walk it out remix, Pink matter remix and Art of storytellin 4 imo

Kblaze8855
06-25-2021, 01:08 PM
I could’ve let two of those go but I’m pretty sure you mentioned the last one just to see if I was paying attention. That’s the only verse in his entire career that made me wish big didn’t even appear on the song and it happens to be with Andre going absolutely insane? People start that song over to not have to hear Big rap. It’s one of the only times he looked bad. Maybe his worst showing other than when he tried to follow Killer mike in the booth and had to throw out his written verse because Killer came off the top and clowned other rappers for free styling writtens. Big ended up literally stumbling over words and saying he smoked crack and I still liked it more than him on art of storytelling 4.

If you wanted to go controversial but arguable....go with internationals players anthem. Iconic Andre opening that Big also slaughtered. He got embarrassed on art of storytelling 4. That song makes the people who say Andre kills him look right. He didn’t even show up.

nineiron
06-25-2021, 01:11 PM
lol, let's compare all these cool customers to LeFraud acting like he just won a chip after hitting a fluke bank shot 3 in a meaningless regular season game against the Wizards.

oh, he also traveled on the play. #nosurprise

Shooter
06-25-2021, 01:31 PM
lol, let's compare all these cool customers to LeFraud acting like he just won a chip after hitting a fluke bank shot 3 in a meaningless regular season game against the Wizards.

oh, he also traveled on the play. #nosurprise

What

Young X
06-25-2021, 08:01 PM
I’ve been in the south their entire run. My two best friends are big time fans of theirs which forced them on me even when I didn’t care to hear it. One of them still reps Playa Fly who you know was there in the old days. I’ve heard all their work. None of them is an especially good rapper. In that whole crew the one one who id listen to solo is Project Pat because he’s objectively hilarious. I play Gorilla Pimp for any young people I happen to be hanging out with in general principle. I’m personally responsible for at least 20 young white kids who know to buy her Taco Bell while you eat steak.

None of them are just good rappers though. They were always about production and energy. I’ll listen to who got dem 9s in the right setting or a number of the old songs really....but nothing is ****ing with Andre or any of the top tier southern rappers.

Feel free to give me evidence otherwise but I can tell you it won’t be anything close to:

https://youtu.be/kl4HcLbWlzM

And that’s just stopping by every couple years pretty much retired Andre.

Nobody in 36 could ever rap like that.

https://youtu.be/6xVV7gYU1tM

Check out the verse at the @3:44 mark. Forget about the 3 stacks comparison, all these rappers nowadays were birthed from this guy's flow. The whole rap scene was influenced by these guys from beats to the way they rap.

Young X
06-25-2021, 08:14 PM
And in terms of Outkast they have alot of joints but this is my sh!t:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r42P-n-Yjm0[/url]

ShawkFactory
06-26-2021, 01:27 AM
Bro I know ill probably get flamed for this but i think Big Boi got Dre on Walk it out remix, Pink matter remix and Art of storytellin 4 imo

Walk it out remix makes me wonder why anyone would ever have Andre go first.

Shooter
06-26-2021, 10:42 AM
Can we move this to Off Topic already.

Mods?

lol jk

Kblaze8855
06-26-2021, 10:53 AM
I’ve been talking about what I want by making it superficially nba related on here for 19 years. I know how to walk the line.

Watch....I’ll make a topic on horror movies and shoehorn Shawn Kemp into it next.

Kblaze8855
06-26-2021, 10:57 AM
https://youtu.be/6xVV7gYU1tM

Check out the verse at the @3:44 mark. Forget about the 3 stacks comparison, all these rappers nowadays were birthed from this guy's flow. The whole rap scene was influenced by these guys from beats to the way they rap.

Eh. He wasn’t the only one with that pre Migos flow nor was he the best. What happened here is what often happens on basketball talk. Someone is a fan and mentions a guy in company he doesn’t belong and makes him look bad in comparison.

tpols
06-26-2021, 11:28 AM
About 3 of my top 10 do. Do me a favor when you have a moment and listen to this:

https://youtu.be/2SivohXth2Q

A recent discussion left me with the idea you think 2 chainz is somehow the standard and I’m wondering what you might feel about an actual good southern rapper. Real instruments. An actual songwriter. A fairly normal song from him. Just give me a general opinion...knowing I don’t actually expect you to like it.

I like 2chainz. He's like a comedy rapper. All these little baby da baby young baby whatever's are horrible but they get all the air time.

And1AllDay
06-26-2021, 11:41 AM
I like 2chainz. He's like a comedy rapper. All these little baby da baby young baby whatever's are horrible but they get all the air time.

2 chainz is nice, ive seen him in concert a couple times now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlQkNJTKUwc

i eat rappers no digest
fu** a piece i want the whole pie graph
money taller than a gi-raff
feng shui by the mic stand
have you ever had 2 one-night stands

Phoenix
06-26-2021, 11:44 AM
Of course we have to consider Larry Bird absolutely no selling Reggies 98 game winner vs the Bulls.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AncientAncientBeardedcollie-size_restricted.gif

That’s probably it right? Has anyone even appeared to give less of a **** about something spectacular?

Lol Bird was cold as fukk.

And1AllDay
06-26-2021, 11:47 AM
Lol Bird was cold as fukk.

becos he knew mike was coming for that azz in the series anyway :oldlol:

it was like when rose hit that 15' game winner, he knew bran was coming for that azz and the series was far from over :oldlol:

Phoenix
06-26-2021, 11:53 AM
becos he knew mike was coming for that azz in the series anyway :oldlol:

it was like when rose hit that 15' game winner, he knew bran was coming for that azz and the series was far from over :oldlol:

Indeed. Though I wonder if it was a series winner would his reaction be 'that' different....Larry gave fukks x zero.

Young X
06-26-2021, 02:27 PM
Eh. He wasn’t the only one with that pre Migos flow nor was he the best. What happened here is what often happens on basketball talk. Someone is a fan and mentions a guy in company he doesn’t belong and makes him look bad in comparison.
People just have totally different opinions with music. I brought him up because he's one of the best southern rappers and you don't even think he's a good rapper lol. That's crazy to me, but music is that subjective.

I don't think people know or are into their underground music before 1997. That's when he was in his prime. I say he, both Outkast members, Project Pat, Phonte, T.I, Ludacris, Scarface, UGK are the best from the south.

Anyway, I've derailed this thread enough.

ShawkFactory
06-26-2021, 03:56 PM
I’ve been talking about what I want by making it superficially nba related on here for 19 years. I know how to walk the line.

Watch....I’ll make a topic on horror movies and shoehorn Shawn Kemp into it next.

Do it now

Kblaze8855
06-26-2021, 04:35 PM
Do it now

Done.

Kblaze8855
06-26-2021, 04:36 PM
People just have totally different opinions with music. I brought him up because he's one of the best southern rappers and you don't even think he's a good rapper lol. That's crazy to me, but music is that subjective.

I don't think people know or are into their underground music before 1997. That's when he was in his prime. I say he, both Outkast members, Project Pat, Phonte, T.I, Ludacris, Scarface, UGK are the best from the south.

Anyway, I've derailed this thread enough.

Im not saying he’s ass I’m just saying he doesn’t belong in that company. Pat either. They have entertainment value but compared to Andre, Krit, Ceelo, TI, Killer Mike and so on they just don’t put words together and flow that well.

More influential than great rappers to me. And I’d say their production was more influential than their rapping.