PDA

View Full Version : Luka vs Trae revisted. Whose the better player?

MadDog
06-23-2021, 11:27 PM
:confusedshrug:

ShawkFactory
06-23-2021, 11:31 PM
Completely different.

Trae showing that it's at least a conversation is good enough right now.

FultzNationRISE
06-23-2021, 11:34 PM
I think it’s pretty close in terms of overall game. I always default to the bigger guy if all else is equal, so I’d pick Luka if I had to choose.

ShawkFactory
06-23-2021, 11:37 PM
I think it’s pretty close in terms of overall game. I’d pick Luka just because I always default to the bigger guy when all else is equal.

What a randomly normal answer from you :lol

Airupthere
06-23-2021, 11:40 PM
I think it’s pretty close in terms of overall game. I always default to the bigger guy if all else is equal, so I’d pick Luka if I had to choose.

I was thinking the same but that is dependent on how luka can stay in shape and healthy. I would also tend to think that but cp3 shows that trae can play at a high level even at a later age.

Gohan
06-23-2021, 11:42 PM
ill take trae he's not as whiny and not as white

Phoenix
06-23-2021, 11:48 PM

I'd take Luka because Allen Iverson.

insight
06-23-2021, 11:49 PM
I prefer Ice Trae but both are tremendous players that impact the game in different ways. The media hating on Trae while crowning Luka the greatest ever is what I can't stand. People finally get to see what Trae is about instead of just hearing from talking heads talk bad about him.

Gohan
06-23-2021, 11:50 PM
I'd take Luka because Allen Iverson.

that's the answer

lets go home folks

bobopenguin
06-23-2021, 11:52 PM

imagine if i said this " ill take Luka he's not as whiny and not as black".

disclaimer, i am an asian and i am minority. so racistc tag doesnt work on me.

Phoenix
06-23-2021, 11:56 PM
that's the answer

https://media.giphy.com/media/iurIHLBxms7UQ/giphy.gif

LukeWalton
06-24-2021, 12:00 AM
both are nice like rice

but Trae has better teammates for sure.

Luka's help is a unicorn but unicorns arent real.

tpols
06-24-2021, 12:09 AM
Luka is better imo. Capela and Collins vastly outplay a stiff porzingis. He almost beat the Clippers with Kawhi playing at MJ production with Luka's best guys being Tim Hardaway Jr and Maxi kleber...

Trae has been great though. He has elite passing and spacing skill. Like Nash kind of with more of a scoring motor.

ShawkFactory
06-24-2021, 12:14 AM
Luka is better imo. Capela and Collins vastly outplay a stiff porzingis. He almost beat the Clippers with Kawhi playing at MJ production with Luka's best guys being Tim Hardaway Jr and Maxi kleber...

Trae has been great though. He has elite passing and spacing skill. Like Nash kind of with more of a scoring motor.

Nash's greatest weakness. Other than defense obviously but that can be covered up with the right pieces.

Some forget that Nash was a perennial 40/50/90 kind of guy. Hell of a shooter. Maybe it was because he picked his spots so well but who knows.

And1AllDay
06-24-2021, 12:17 AM
What a randomly normal answer from you :lol

fultz is always high iq sometimes it just goes over peoples heads

Gohan
06-24-2021, 12:22 AM
Nash's greatest weakness. Other than defense obviously but that can be covered up with the right pieces.

Some forget that Nash was a perennial 40/50/90 kind of guy. Hell of a shooter. Maybe it was because he picked his spots so well but who knows.

even nash dropped 48 in the playoffs before

BarberSchool
06-24-2021, 12:23 AM
Trae’s performance this playoffs, has made this a legitimate future conversation.

I hope the league/media doesn’t try to artificially fauxment another magic vs bird.

And just lets this organically develop.

Phoenix
06-24-2021, 12:24 AM
even nash dropped 48 in the playoffs before

Yep, but that's because he was drafted in the same class as Iverson.

Spurs m8
06-24-2021, 12:33 AM

Dude, not sure god would like your racism tbh

Gohan
06-24-2021, 12:34 AM
fultz is always high iq sometimes it just goes over peoples heads

no it doesnt that ****** humor is dry as f lmao

Gohan
06-24-2021, 12:35 AM
dude, not sure god would like your racism tbh

lol i was jus kiddin i like white people just not the ones i went to school with

Spurs m8
06-24-2021, 12:36 AM
lol i was jus kiddin i like white people just not the ones i went to school with

Lol that's fair.

Just looking out for you, bro :cheers:

SATAN
06-24-2021, 12:59 AM
There are already people calling Luka the GOAT. You can't make this shit up. :facepalm

Ice Trae
06-24-2021, 01:28 AM
All kidding aside I think Luka gets the edge due to his size.

But obviously Trae is my favorite player.

Both are good players and the NBA is in great hands

Mr.GOAT2408
06-24-2021, 02:19 AM
I think the size gap is a little too much between similar players so I guess Luka but I also think both teams won that draft day trade, they both got a superstar out of it

Mask the Embiid
06-24-2021, 06:07 AM
Easy trae. Not only did they get the better player but they also got an additional player who is turning out to be good. When Luka leaves the mavs or breaks down from injury. we will look back at this trade as one of the greatest heist of all time in sports history

Trae is like a mini steph with better passing. Luka is like a jumbo Kyle Lowry

It’s trae way....all day.... and it’s not even close

r0drig0lac
06-24-2021, 06:17 AM
go back to the old topics and see that for those who understand the game, Doncic was never better than Trae..easy

Spurs m8
06-24-2021, 06:20 AM
go back to the old topics and see that for those who understand the game, Doncic was never better than Trae..easy

I mean, Doncic dragged a pretty shit team to the playoffs first, and did a good job there too.
Hes also been quite dominant...so it would be fair to assume he was ahead of Trae, at least for a bit.

Your smug reply isn't really warranted.
Though also not surprising

GOBB
06-24-2021, 06:38 AM
I don’t recall Trae young ever being considered a top 5 or top 10 player in the NBA. When you think about it and rank players right now (unless you’re using injury). Is Trae top 10? Is he ranked over Luka? Ijs

Trae is helping his cause in the overall player ranking but so did Jamal Murray in the bubble and Donovan Mitchell recently with Booker continuing too. I don’t know where he ranks. I just know where I and others ranked Luka.

Ice Trae
06-24-2021, 01:11 PM
I don’t recall Trae young ever being considered a top 5 or top 10 player in the NBA. When you think about it and rank players right now (unless you’re using injury). Is Trae top 10? Is he ranked over Luka? Ijs

Trae is helping his cause in the overall player ranking but so did Jamal Murray in the bubble and Donovan Mitchell recently with Booker continuing too. I don’t know where he ranks. I just know where I and others ranked Luka.

Trae is knocking on the door as top 15 player IMO but the fact that he's even in the conversation is great.

I'll pick Luka for now...and Trae's my guy!

Ice Trae
06-24-2021, 01:12 PM
Easy trae. Not only did they get the better player but they also got an additional player who is turning out to be good. When Luka leaves the mavs or breaks down from injury. we will look back at this trade as one of the greatest heist of all time in sports history

Trae is like a mini steph with better passing. Luka is like a jumbo Kyle Lowry

It’s trae way....all day.... and it’s not even close

stop taking the easy way out and comparing him to Steph. He plays nothing like Steph

tontoz
06-24-2021, 01:15 PM
stop taking the easy way out and comparing him to Steph. He plays nothing like Steph

Yeah i don't get the Steph comparisons. Completely different games. I think people like to link them due to size and skin color lol.

hold this L
06-24-2021, 01:19 PM
Yeah i don't get the Steph comparisons. Completely different games. I think people like to link them due to size and skin color lol.
Trae gets comparisons similar with Dame because they're the only two players in the league that shoot it from 35 when there is more than 3 seconds left. Neither of those guys play like Steph, especially Trae.

Ice Trae
06-24-2021, 01:23 PM
Also funny thing about Trae Haters...you know he's living rent free in their head when people stop attacking his Game and start attacking your hair, lisp or things outside of the actual game of basketball

Spain_
06-24-2021, 01:25 PM
I was thinking the same but that is dependent on how luka can stay in shape and healthy. I would also tend to think that but cp3 shows that trae can play at a high level even at a later age.

It does feel like Luka has been underachieving this year.
If he wasnt so clearly out of shape (by pro athlete standards) he would have put away LAC.

But Trae has been better this post season just on sample size alone, and since playoff ball matters more I gotta go Trae > Luka rn.
Even though it feels like peak Luka will smoke peak Trae.

dirkdiggler41
06-24-2021, 01:35 PM
Clint Capela > Whoever the Mavs got
Collins > KP
Huerter > Finney-Smith
Bogdan > Hardaway JR.
Trae < Luka

tontoz
06-24-2021, 01:40 PM
If he wasnt so clearly out of shape (by pro athlete standards) he would have put away LAC.

But Trae has been better this post season just on sample size alone, and since playoff ball matters more I gotta go Trae > Luka rn.

:facepalm

Luka averaged 36/10/8 against the Clippers shooting 54% on 2s and 40.8% on 3s. Pretty good for a guy who is "out of shape".

He is not the reason they lost to the Clippers.

Spain_
06-24-2021, 01:41 PM

In his prime (30 to 33) Nash had great production in the playoffs, and that team did make it quite far (CF twice ) even if they couldnt make the finals.
I think they get shit on too much, they lost to the Spurs twice (who went on to win both time) and that Dallas team that should have won the finals but messep up due to choking + referees.
And Nash did have big playoff games.

24/11/5
20/10/4
18/13/3 on 48% from 3

Spain_
06-24-2021, 01:44 PM
:facepalm

Luka averaged 36/10/8 against the Clippers shooting 54% on 2s and 40.8% on 3s. Pretty good for a guy who is "out of shape".

He is not the reason they lost to the Clippers.

He gassed in every 4rth Q man.
That dude is so talented that he can average that against Kawi and PG and still underachieve, I think that if he was a gym rat conditioning wise he could have one of those top 10 all time careers.

Ice Trae
06-24-2021, 01:45 PM
He gassed in every 4rth Q man.
That dude is so talented that he can average that against Kawi and PG and still underachieve, I think that if he was a gym rat conditioning wise he could have one of those top 10 all time careers.

I think it was combination of gassing plus kawhi defending him in key situations in the 4th

insight
06-24-2021, 01:54 PM

I don't see Luka's peak smoking what Trae will be able to do at all. Trae's ability to run the entire offense and control tempo like Chris Paul, pass like Steve Nash and have the killer instinct of a Iverson is something we haven't seen before. Luka is unique in his own right with the skills and size of Lebron James without athleticism but a better jump shot.
I think it will come down to which organization does the best job of surrounding them with pieces that fit thier skillset and which player stays humble after achieving success so early thier career.

Gohan
06-24-2021, 01:55 PM
yall must forgot that clippers defense is awful with kawhi and pg. trae could get the same shots luka got against the clippers,now whether he makes them is on him

Spain_
06-24-2021, 01:56 PM
I think it was combination of gassing plus kawhi defending him in key situations in the 4th

Yeah sure but I think high motor Luka would beat anyone, even Kawi.
When Luka has energy and starts breaking down dudes of the dribble its on of the most insane things even, he has the best handle I've seen a 6'8 guy.

insight
06-24-2021, 02:21 PM
Yeah sure but I think high motor Luka would beat anyone, even Kawi.
When Luka has energy and starts breaking down dudes of the dribble its on of the most insane things even, he has the best handle I've seen a 6'8 guy.

Luka is very good handle for his size but did you ever see Magic Johnson or Penny Hardaway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xYWA9uMSuA

Spain_
06-24-2021, 02:26 PM
Luka is very good handle for his size but did you ever see Magic Johnson or Penny Hardaway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xYWA9uMSuA

Different era but comperable.
Handles in general are way better now though so I would give Luka the edge.

Spain_
06-24-2021, 02:28 PM
Different era but comperable.
Handles in general are way better now though so I would give Luka the edge.

The highlight real Luka will have in 20 years when he make sthe HOF will be insane.
He clowns people for fun, especially in the RS

999Guy
06-24-2021, 03:00 PM
Luka. Not close. Gap will only get bigger as they enter their mid-20’s.

j3lademaster
06-24-2021, 03:21 PM
Great question. Doncic is better, no doubt, but Trae’s teammates actually seem like they enjoy playing with him. You get more mileage and energy (especially on the def end where both struggle) out of your roleplayers. I think this is where Trae gets his Nash comparisons, he’s a fun teammate to play with and his confidence is contagious.

Spain_
06-24-2021, 05:24 PM
Great question. Doncic is better, no doubt, but Trae’s teammates actually seem like they enjoy playing with him. You get more mileage and energy (especially on the def end where both struggle) out of your roleplayers. I think this is where Trae gets his Nash comparisons, he’s a fun teammate to play with and his confidence is contagious.

In retrospect, both of them were massively underrated coming into that draft.

90sgoat
06-24-2021, 05:35 PM
Luka is MUCH better.

I respect Trae, but come on, it's not close.

Hawks are better at all position except Luka.

I mean, they have Danilo and Bogdan as reserves for ****s sake. Both would be the second best player on Mavs.

Capella is a star, John Collins is a future hall of famer.

tontoz
06-24-2021, 05:37 PM

He did get called out by Collins last year for his chucking. He is taking 3 fewer 3s this year per game.

OmniStrife
06-24-2021, 05:49 PM
Ayton.

jk jk... it's still Luka I think.

GOBB
06-24-2021, 07:17 PM

Facts. I don’t get why that’s being used other than they are short with handles

GOBB
06-24-2021, 07:20 PM
Trae is knocking on the door as top 15 player IMO but the fact that he's even in the conversation is great.

I'll pick Luka for now...and Trae's my guy!

That’s a fair and reasonable assessment. The more Trae plays the more he can start closing the gap on a lot of dudes. He’s gonna get some ranking love this offseason off this playoff performance. I still want to punch him in his smug face.

Ice Trae
06-24-2021, 07:28 PM
That’s a fair and reasonable assessment. The more Trae plays the more he can start closing the gap on a lot of dudes. He’s gonna get some ranking love this offseason off this playoff performance. I still want to punch him in his smug face.

The world always needs a Villain :applause:

j3lademaster
06-24-2021, 08:19 PM
He did get called out by Collins last year for his chucking. He is taking 3 fewer 3s this year per game.i didnt know that. That honestly makes me like him more that he tweaked his game by sacrificing his scoring for his teammates. Ill be the first to admit i didnt pay any attention to this Hawks team until this playoffs. I just assumed there was some truth to his ‘empty stats’ because that was the narrative on social media, here, etc.

tontoz
06-24-2021, 08:36 PM
i didnt know that. That honestly makes me like him more that he tweaked his game by sacrificing his scoring for his teammates. Ill be the first to admit i didnt pay any attention to this Hawks team until this playoffs. I just assumed there was some truth to his ‘empty stats’ because that was the narrative on social media, here, etc.

I agree I would like to see Luka take fewer 3s early in the clock as well.