PDA

View Full Version : How much higher can 3pt % get ?

Spain_
06-24-2021, 07:04 PM
I was going through the historical numbers for league average 3 point percentage and I wasn't surprised to see that this year's 36,7% has tied the best mark ever while also having the highest 3PA per game at 34.6.

The question is, how long can this trend keep going?
Will we get to 40 3PA on 38% ?
Will this keep going until the majority of basketball plays are 3s?
Because I don't know what type of pressure could force teams and players to change tactics at this point.

j3lademaster
06-25-2021, 02:38 PM
I dont think we can really fathom it at this time. During the Mikan days 20-30% fg was par for the course.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/fulksjo01.html

Ain’t nobody letting you take 30 shots to score 22 pts in this day and age… not if thats going to be your avg for an entire season.

One day we’re going to have a 7 footer come along with jamal crawford’s playground handles with KD’s smooth shooting and Giannis’ physique and finishing and we’ll all say “Lebron who”?

ArbitraryWater
06-25-2021, 02:39 PM
I dont think we can really fathom it at this time. During the Mikan days 20-30% fg was par for the course.

Ain’t nobody letting you take 30 shots to score 22 pts in this day and age… not if thats going to be your avg for an entire season.

One day we’re going to have a 7 footer come along with jamal crawford’s playground handles with KD’s smooth shooting and Giannis’ physique and finishing and we’ll all say “Lebron who”?

or we won't

Spain_
06-25-2021, 02:44 PM

Stylistically it seems inevitable to me that at some point the league as a whole will shoot more 3s than 2s, or the ratio will be 1:1 at least.

8Ball
06-25-2021, 02:49 PM
I was going through the historical numbers for league average 3 point percentage and I wasn't surprised to see that this year's 36,7% has tied the best mark ever while also having the highest 3PA per game at 34.6.

Because I don't know what type of pressure could force teams and players to change tactics at this point.

We don't know because this is a 5 year transition.

3 point shooting has really become the thing after the 2016 season.

Look at the guards right now:

Luka, steph, lillard, trae, beal, mitchell, kyrie, harden, ja morant, murray, booker, cp3. All these guys cook in the pick and roll.

Centers are learning how to shoot. Power forwards can't get on an NBA team if they can't shoot.

It's going to go higher.

Shooter
06-25-2021, 02:58 PM

The beauty of being a LeBron fan is that our records are set in stone. Someone could very well come along and possess those skills but they will never be able to outdo what the King has accomplished. It's not really possible in our lifetimes and of course people troll around from time to time but these are the facts. They're unbreakable:

• 17x All NBA selections? Good luck. The next closest guy only had 15

• 7,631 Playoff points? Good luck. The next closest guy only had 5,987

• 12 playoff game winners? Good luck. The next closest guy only had 10

• 55 playoff win shares? Good luck. The next closest guy only had 39

Leading all players in pts, reb, ast, stls, and blks en route to leading a comeback after facing a 3-1 deficit versus a 73-win record setting team while also facing a 3 to 1 all nba disadvantage?

You see, LeGoat is set in stone.

j3lademaster
06-25-2021, 03:10 PM
The beauty of being a LeBron fan is that our records are set in stone. Someone could very well come along and possess those skills but they will never be able to outdo what the King has accomplished. It's not really possible in our lifetimes and of course people troll around from time to time but these are the facts. They're unbreakable:

• 17x All NBA selections? Good luck. The next closest guy only had 15

• 7,631 Playoff points? Good luck. The next closest guy only had 5,987

• 12 playoff game winners? Good luck. The next closest guy only had 10

• 55 playoff win shares? Good luck. The next closest guy only had 39

Leading all players in pts, reb, ast, stls, and blks en route to leading a comeback after facing a 3-1 deficit versus a 73-win record setting team while also facing a 3 to 1 all nba disadvantage?

You see, LeGoat is set in stone.this was never meant to slight Lebron it’s actually a compliment. I used him as an example because I consider him to be the current gold standard in the sport.

Dbrog
06-25-2021, 03:15 PM
This will definitely be the trend until we get another legendary big man in the league like Shaq or Duncan. As it is right now, what point is there to not shoot threes? Bigs aren't destroying the paint with FG% over 70% anymore, and when they are (Ayton), they kill the other team cause they are unstoppable. Embiid is the closest we've gotten to a dominant big in a long time and he can't hold Shaq/Duncan/KG/etc's jockstraps...and yet he's scoring 35ppg.

Separately, it can be the great equalizer if you don't have a very talented team. Look at the Hornets a few years back who had literally D-League starting lineup. Their only shot at winning was if they got hot from 3

8Ball
06-25-2021, 03:16 PM
This will definitely be the trend until we get another legendary big man in the league like Shaq or Duncan. As it is right now, what point is there to not shoot threes? Bigs aren't destroying the paint with FG% over 70% anymore, and when they are (Ayton), they kill the other team cause they are unstoppable. Embiid is the closest we've gotten to a dominant big in a long time and he can't hold Shaq/Duncan/KG/etc's jockstraps...and yet he's scoring 35ppg.

It will trend even with a legendary big man. The 2 MVP guys are Embiid and Jokic.

We won't see another Shaq level player that forces teams to bring in offensively garbage big men. Even then, teams won't change their rosters for just that 1 team out of 30.

Dbrog
06-25-2021, 03:19 PM
It will trend even with a legendary big man. The 2 MVP guys are Embiid and Jokic.

We won't see another Shaq level player that forces teams to bring in offensively garbage big men. Even then, teams won't change their rosters for just that 1 team out of 30.

Yup very true about them not changing for 1 team. This would obviously be a very slow change but maybe if there was a David Robinson type player (he's really more of a modern style big with old school fundamentals), kids would start looking to emulate that type of domination and it would produce more young bigs with those skills.

It's so crazy I remember Ayton coming out or even Oden before him and people saying they were the new D Rob but then you see the way they move on the court and it's almost cringy

Shooter
06-25-2021, 05:40 PM
this was never meant to slight Lebron it’s actually a compliment. I used him as an example because I consider him to be the current gold standard in the sport.

*take out "current" and we're good. He is the LeGold Standard

Bronbron23
06-25-2021, 06:57 PM

Depends on the rules. Allow defenders to handcheck, body, contest and fight through screens like they could in previous eras and that number will drop. Put in more rules to benefit perimeter shooters and the number will go up.