PDA

View Full Version : The 90's were a weaker era

StrongLurk
06-29-2021, 10:31 AM
It's honestly undeniable. Obviously the superstars in the 90's are as good as anyone, but the total quality and depth of talent was lacking compared to any other decade in the three point era. Lots of expansion, worldwide talent still lacking (especially compared to now), having to shorten the 3-point line...I don't understand why people defend the 90's so much? Is it really just due to MJ? I personally loved the 90's NBA, but I can still see it objectively.

ELITEpower23
06-29-2021, 10:34 AM
Good post, much agreed. 90's superstars were stil good, but overall league talent was lacking.

RogueBorg
06-29-2021, 10:50 AM
When a player that almost everyone agrees is a scrub can average a triple-double three different seasons in this so called "better" era, I'm not buying it.

FKAri
06-29-2021, 11:02 AM
MJ's still the GOAT but I agree. Despite it being easier to score today, the talent level overall is higher.

I wonder what people's non troll honest thoughts on ISH are on this. Feels like clueless kids and old curmudgeons on here.

Airupthere
06-29-2021, 11:07 AM
Shooting and dribbling are definitely much better. I dont know about other adpects like boxing out, rebounding, post game, defense etc.

97 bulls
06-29-2021, 11:35 AM
Theres no different in talent just styles. The game is different. I have smashed the 90s was watered down theory. Time after time. .

StrongLurk
06-29-2021, 11:44 AM
Theres no different in talent just styles. The game is different. I have smashed the 90s was watered down theory. Time after time. .

Just think of the fact that we have HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of more kids playing basketball worldwide compared to 30 years ago. This will increase the talent level some. Look how good some of these olympic teams are for other countries compared to the dream team competition in 92.

The biggest reason styles are different today compared to the 90s is the fact that so man people can shoot from further out, ESPECIALLY BIG MEN.

I grew up watching 90's ball and I understand how strong "nostalgia" is...the majority of every basketball fan thinks "their" generation is best. You see it all the time, but I am fully aware that sports change and fans usually don't adapt well to the changes. I can objectively see there is more talent/skill now than 30 years ago.

j3lademaster
06-29-2021, 11:45 AM
MJ's still the GOAT but I agree. Despite it being easier to score today, the talent level overall is higher.

I wonder what people's non troll honest thoughts on ISH are on this. Feels like clueless kids and old curmudgeons on here.
Nontroll answer:
1) talent pool is bigger so roleplayers are better than ever.

2) more 3’s = more long rebounds going to perimeter players. Although true bigs such as Gobert or Embiid can still put up monstrous rebounding number.

3) higher points per possession makes intentionally fouling bad ft shooters even more viable than the Shaq era.

4) teams no longer pick the best players to fill out their rosters. Roleplayers are more sought after over their specific skill sets (99% of the time itÂ’s just shooting and defense) than their overall game as a basketball player.

5) lack of post play makes it tough to ‘stop the bleeding’ on bad shooting nights. See Suns vs Clippers game 4.

6) we still see 90’s reffing in the playoffs and players DO handcheck all the time in the postseason despite rule changes. It’s the main reason we see a phenomenon of smaller guards having drastic dropoffs in performance in the playoffs (Westbrook, Steph, Dame).

7) the pick and roll is, at the moment, the best play in basketball in terms of being more effective more often. In the 90’s the Jazz ran it the most, along with Price cavaliers. Most teams opted to dump it into their center in the post and play off that.

3ba11
06-29-2021, 11:54 AM
Today's players are better at threes and handling the ball but vastly inferior 2-point shot-makers (basketball)

An average team from prior eras would destroy the 17' Warriors if the 3-point line was removed

Sorry, but guys like Shaq/Penny are better ballplayers that Curry/Klay, who are just 3-point shooters... Heck, Drexler/Porter were better at basketball, just not threes.

SATAN
06-29-2021, 11:57 AM
In the 90s players were clocking out from their auto repair shop and grocery store shifts to go and face the degenerate known as "His Airness". :milton

SATAN
06-29-2021, 11:58 AM
Today's players are better at threes and handling the ball but vastly inferior 2-point shot-makers (basketball)

An average team from prior eras would destroy the 17' Warriors if the 3-point line was removed

Sorry, but guys like Shaq/Penny are better ballplayers that Curry/Klay, who are just 3-point shooters...

You don't actually know anything about basketball.

Stanley Kobrick
06-29-2021, 11:59 AM
bigger talent pool = better talent

StrongLurk
06-29-2021, 12:06 PM

Sorry, but guys like Shaq/Penny are better ballplayers that Curry/Klay, who are just 3-point shooters... Heck, Drexler/Porter were better at basketball, just not threes.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/nv/las-vegas

Bronbron23
06-29-2021, 12:30 PM

Nah talent isn't higher at all. It's not worse either it's just a different game. More focus on threes and floaters 90's was more focused on mid range and post play. Bring back 90's defensive rules and the games are back down to 80-90 points. We've already seen in these playoffs how these so called more skilled players struggle to score efficiently. It's because refs are letting way more go and even still it's nowhere near the 90's.

FKAri
06-29-2021, 12:41 PM
Nontroll answer:
1) talent pool is bigger so roleplayers are better than ever.

2) more 3’s = more long rebounds going to perimeter players. Although true bigs such as Gobert or Embiid can still put up monstrous rebounding number.

3) higher points per possession makes intentionally fouling bad ft shooters even more viable than the Shaq era.

4) teams no longer pick the best players to fill out their rosters. Roleplayers are more sought after over their specific skill sets (99% of the time itÂ’s just shooting and defense) than their overall game as a basketball player.

5) lack of post play makes it tough to ‘stop the bleeding’ on bad shooting nights. See Suns vs Clippers game 4.

6) we still see 90’s reffing in the playoffs and players DO handcheck all the time in the postseason despite rule changes. It’s the main reason we see a phenomenon of smaller guards having drastic dropoffs in performance in the playoffs (Westbrook, Steph, Dame).

7) the pick and roll is, at the moment, the best play in basketball in terms of being more effective more often. In the 90’s the Jazz ran it the most, along with Price cavaliers. Most teams opted to dump it into their center in the post and play off that.
Absolutely agree with every single point you made.

We see less complete players on the court because scouts prioritize specific abilities over a complete game. Despite the prevalence of positionless basketball we paradoxically see guys with less tools under their belt(even if the tools they do have are better). In the past you'd see guys come off the bench who weren't particularly good at anything but could do a bit of everything more so than now. You'd also see more guys who had an unorthodox games and unique moves. Built up over years of trial and error growing up. This has largely disappeared primarily due to exposure of various techniques. It's all streamlined now to where technique has converged. I guess this is inevitable in all sports/industries but it does make the game less creative and interesting.

97 bulls
06-29-2021, 12:42 PM
Just think of the fact that we have HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of more kids playing basketball worldwide compared to 30 years ago. This will increase the talent level some. Look how good some of these olympic teams are for other countries compared to the dream team competition in 92.
Non American teams have been besting US teams well before Dream Team 1. What Dream Team 1 will have over all their predecessors is that they were an actual team. That was by no means the most talented team Dream Team 1 couldve rolled out.

The biggest reason styles are different today compared to the 90s is the fact that so man people can shoot from further out, ESPECIALLY BIG MEN.
Big Men today shoot more. But they're not classic bigs. Bigs of the past got down in the post and defended the paint. I'm not saying one is better. It seems that todays league is your preference. I see the greatness and flaws in both eras. Neither is better than the other.

I grew up watching 90's ball and I understand how strong "nostalgia" is...the majority of every basketball fan thinks "their" generation is best. You see it all the time, but I am fully aware that sports change and fans usually don't adapt well to the changes. I can objectively see there is more talent/skill now than 30 years ago.

Theres not more talent. Theres no quantifiable way for you to make that determination. Let me give you an example. The Draft. Its understood that the 1st pick is supposed to typically be the most talented player right? But that's not necessarily the case. A lot of time, the 1st pick is the 1st pick because of recognition. Simply because they played at a bigger school. For example.

FKAri
06-29-2021, 12:52 PM
Non American teams have been besting US teams well before Dream Team 1. What Dream Team 1 will have over all their predecessors is that they were an actual team. That was by no means the most talented team Dream Team 1 couldve rolled out.

Big Men today shoot more. But they're not classic bigs. Bigs of the past got down in the post and defended the paint. I'm not saying one is better. It seems that todays league is your preference. I see the greatness and flaws in both eras. Neither is better than the other.

Theres not more talent. Theres no quantifiable way for you to make that determination. Let me give you an example. The Draft. Its understood that the 1st pick is supposed to typically be the most talented player right? But that's not necessarily the case. A lot of time, the 1st pick is the 1st pick because of recognition. Simply because they played at a bigger school. For example.

The competition in every sport has gone up in the last 30 years. It is easier to quantify in some sports than others. And basketball has exploded in popularity more than most sports in the last 30 years. Yet, basketball is the one sport where people hesitate the most to say that it's better than it was 30 years ago. It's largely because of Michael Jordan. No one better has come along whereas several other sport's GOATs are from the 21st century(statistically unlikely if all things were equal). But MJ's the outlier, the league as a whole is more talented now than before. Yes it's easier to score and the rules have changed but even factoring that in, evidence points to it being more talented now.

3ba11
06-29-2021, 01:17 PM
Yet if you remove the 3-point line, any average team from a prior era would destroy today's teams due to superior 2-point shot-making ability

It would be hilarious to watch today's best players get destroyed by guys that actually have shot-making ability like Kareem, Hakeem or MJ - today's spaced-out format doesn't produce players of this caliber anymore

j3lademaster
06-29-2021, 01:29 PM
Yet if you remove the 3-point line, any average team from a prior era would destroy today's teams due to superior 2-point shot-making ability

It would be hilarious to watch today's best players get destroyed by guys that actually have shot-making ability like Kareem, Hakeem or MJ - today's spaced-out format doesn't produce players of this caliber anymoreYou can't just make a major rule-change like removing the 3 point line. If the 3 point line never existed, player development from the last 30 years would be drastically different, too. It just becomes an uncontrollable menagerie of weird butterfly effects at that point.

Airupthere
06-29-2021, 01:33 PM
one big rule change is allowing players to carry the ball more loosely now. players like tatum live off of them. carries 90% of the time to get his shots off.

And1AllDay
06-29-2021, 01:36 PM
also

water is wet

97 bulls
06-29-2021, 01:47 PM
one big rule change is allowing players to carry the ball more loosely now. players like tatum live off of them. carries 90% of the time to get his shots off.

That's what I was about to say.

And to add, its obvious you dont need to be a great dribbler to score the basketball today. Guys like Antekoumpo and Westbrook are fuctional ballhandlers, and they can drop 40pts at any time. Hell Ben Simmons wont even try to score and he gets you 16ppg.