PDA

View Full Version : Mr.Mean with a great comeback. He almost had to change his name to Mr.Back Pedal.

Kblaze8855
06-29-2021, 05:04 PM
Larry Smith....aka “Mr Mean”. I remember having a basketball card with that nickname. Started off questionable but he handles business:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ResponsibleInfantileAmericanrobin-size_restricted.gif

I do miss enforcers. Most teams had them. Some were giant burly guys or in the case of Smith and guys like Vernon Maxwell or even Doc Rivers....just guys always ready to put hands on you to settle an issue or protect a teammate.

Still a few out there no doubt....but problems don’t really get settled that way anymore. And that’s fine. This isn’t a “these dudes soft” topic. But the way it’s handled is just less....real. You might shove a little...few will just square up and see who wins. I actually think backing off and letting guys fight might reduce the tough guy acts. If you know he’s free to beat your ass you might not shove him to begin with. One or two guys get that real old school style ass kicking like Willis Reed when he sent 4 Lakers to the hospital:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FeistyCrazyJackrabbit-size_restricted.gif

or even like the Knicks always handed out when they would start real fights and not just talk:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FrightenedAdoredGalapagoshawk-size_restricted.gif

You would probably see angry moments go down. If it’s nhl style just let you fight...most of these guys aren’t fighting.

Doc Rivers seems laid back now but I’ve seen him fight like 5 times. He tried to slap Charles Oakley. Fought the Suns backcourt. Most now aren’t gonna be about all that. Might be able to get one per team as the designated goon who handles threats to the stars like in the nhl.

Who do you imagine would be your teams goon if it were (unofficially)formalized like hockey?

Cant be a star really. Not worth the suspension.

I know Haslem would sign on for 5 more seasons if those spots opened up....but back in the day it really was often the guards.

We have any scrappy guards you can see in that role or you sending out only bigs?

I like a scrappy guard.

j3lademaster
06-29-2021, 05:19 PM
Cristiano Felício. He's big, he's brazilian and has absolutely no value basketball-wise. Hopefully someone taught him some jiujitsu when he was younger.

Kblaze8855
06-29-2021, 05:24 PM
If the Nuggets could sign one of the Jokic brothers he’d never get a hard foul again if the opponent knew the refs and security would let them get wrecked before breaking it up:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LazyShowyAfricanaugurbuzzard-size_restricted.gif

ShawkFactory
06-29-2021, 06:52 PM
Damn idk why I haven't seen that Reed one. I think Larusso was the only one who even landed anything.

He just destroyed everyone else.

EDIT: just watched again on a bigger screen. At the end when they started that boxing formation 1-on-1 that dude gave Reed a pretty sweet left. I don't actually know if that was Larusso but whoever that was looked like they knew what they were doing.

Kblaze8855
06-30-2021, 07:19 AM
Damn idk why I haven't seen that Reed one. I think Larusso was the only one who even landed anything.

He just destroyed everyone else.

EDIT: just watched again on a bigger screen. At the end when they started that boxing formation 1-on-1 that dude gave Reed a pretty sweet left. I don't actually know if that was Larusso but whoever that was looked like they knew what they were doing.

Willis said they talked about kicking him out of the league till the film showed he didn’t start the fight. I bet people got a lot more selective with the physical stuff with him from then on. One or two Lakers had broken jaws Jerry West said.

Clifton
06-30-2021, 09:45 AM
I was playing pickup one time, I think around 9th grade, and I was frustrated for some reason, not playing well I guess. Complaining or swearing when I miss, etc. At a certain point a guy on the other team chucks the ball directly into my face. Hard. I don't remember if he said anything or stared at me or what. Everyone was stunned, not sure what to do next. I think a full 30 seconds go by with everyone still, then I say something like "my bad" and we keep playing.

It changed my life. From that day on the way I respond to basically all adversity and frustration was different. I think it's the only time anything physically violent was done to me, and it was exactly what I needed.

I'm not saying a similar thing might be of benefit when it comes to these players' reactions to foul calls but... sometimes I wonder. It's a real drag on the modern game IMO. Sometimes I think just the possibility of real physical violence can, in a weird way, make everyone more calm.

SATAN
06-30-2021, 10:36 AM
Seeing Pat Bev getting his ass kicked would be glorious

getting_old
06-30-2021, 01:19 PM
Charles, what were you thinking when Shaq tackled you in that skirmish.

i was thinking this all will hopefully be over soon.

j3lademaster
06-30-2021, 01:24 PM

This'll have to do for now

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8352921/bev.0.gif

Lettuce not talk about what happened afterwards if you aren't a Pat Bev fan.

red1
06-30-2021, 01:47 PM
damn would love to see someone two-piece kyrie or curry like that

would be great to see kd and embiid get KOd too

j3lademaster
06-30-2021, 01:55 PM
damn would love to see someone two-piece kyrie or curry like that

would be great to see kd and embiid get KOd tooDurant would be a good boy and never put himself in a situation to fight, not if goons existed and fighting was prevalent.

I wonder if John Collins swings at Embiid if fighting was a basketball culture like it is in hockey.

https://interreviewed.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/2021-06-18_09-01-20PM-780x470.jpg

red1
06-30-2021, 01:58 PM
Durant would be a good boy and never put himself in a situation to fight, not if goons existed and fighting was prevalent.

I wonder if John Collins swings at Embiid if fighting was a basketball culture like it is in hockey.

https://interreviewed.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/2021-06-18_09-01-20PM-780x470.jpg

embiid is a giant - 2v1 is sanctioned if trae wants to help collins

I think embiid would KO trae early, giving collins time to get on his feet and KO a distracted embiid

I put a lot of thought into this.

j3lademaster
06-30-2021, 02:06 PM

I think embiid would KO trae early, giving collins time to get on his feet and KO a distracted embiid

I put a lot of thought into this.Trae looks like the little boy trying to keep the other kid's big brother from beating up his.

red1
06-30-2021, 02:11 PM
Trae looks like the little boy trying to keep the other kid's big brother from beating up his.

:oldlol:

MrFonzworth
06-30-2021, 02:13 PM

I put a lot of thought into this.

Both Trae and Collins would be dead. Collins can't get close enough to touch embiid without putting himself in knock out danger.

meat
06-30-2021, 03:22 PM
Remeber Mr.Mean well! He was here in Houston forever. Damn that was a nice right!

Kblaze8855
07-01-2021, 09:29 AM

Someone on the Suns would have punched him in the face for last night in the time in question.