PDA

View Full Version : How good will be the 1997 Atlanta Hawks in today's NBA?

Iverson3
07-02-2021, 09:22 PM
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/1997.html

They won 56 games in 1997, and they beat the 54 wins Pistons in the first round.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQo6GT8W8OgBNAVIOC-RuFxqNXfx_Eg2wNxPg&usqp=CAU

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5b930214/turbine/ct-xpm-2013-05-31-chi-mookie-blaylock-nba-20130531

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1b/6f/97/1b6f9765b9818fae137ae57523a53480.jpg
Atlanta had Steve Smith, Mookie Blaylock, Dikembe Mutombo, and Christian Laettner

Reggie43
07-02-2021, 09:37 PM
Absolutely loved that team. They were a few good players away from being real contenders. Still have my Steve Smith jersey given by family from Atlanta which I used the heck out of my early years playing ball.

HoopsNY
07-02-2021, 09:44 PM
They'd be pretty good. Mookie Blaylock was a great PG who never gets any recognition. Defensively, he's one of the best I've ever seen. They had a great combination of interior defense with Mutombo and perimeter defense with Blaylock. I think that season, six teams from the East won 50+ games.

3ba11
07-02-2021, 09:45 PM
Absolutely loved that team. They were a few good players away from being real contenders. Still have my Steve Smith jersey given by family from Atlanta which I used the heck out of my early years playing ball.

They would've made the Finals in the 00's East because that's the only conference that was won by a bunch of 1-star teams (Iverson, Kidd, Lebron, Dwight)..

Trae or Brook Lopez will win the conference this year with nothing, while Kawhi won the conference on his vacation and Jimmy carried an injury-riddled team.. So only Lebron's super-teams from 11-18' interrupted a trend of 1-star teams winning the East, post Jordan.

Gohan
07-02-2021, 09:57 PM
They would've made the Finals in the 00's East because that's the only conference that was won by a bunch of 1-star teams (Iverson, Kidd, Lebron, Dwight)..

Trae or Brook Lopez will win the conference this year with nothing, while Kawhi won the conference on his vacation and Jimmy carried an injury-riddled team.. So only Lebron's super-teams from 11-18' interrupted a trend of 1-star teams winning the East, post Jordan.

dwights team was by far the best out of those. stop mentioning him in the same sentence as lebron, kidd, and iverson

3ba11
07-02-2021, 10:03 PM
dwights team was by far the best out of those. stop mentioning him in the same sentence as lebron, kidd, and iverson

Dwight was missing his all-star point guard - he made the Finals with the AND1 point guard.

Dwight's 1 fringe all-star (Rashard) upset Lebron's 2 fringe all-stars (Zydrunas, Mo).. without homecourt... The Magic are one of the 5 biggest underdogs to ever win a playoff series.... And remember how it was heading into that series - everyone thought the juggernaut Cavs would walk right through Orlando..

Ultimately, you're forgetting that Mo Williams joined a 45-win loser in 2009 - so he wasn't coattailing and infact made those Cavs good (league favorite and 66 wins)... That's why he was an all-star, despite getting less PPG and APG than before Lebron..

Ultimately, if Lebron had "bums" in 2009 despite the #3 defense and an all-star teammate, then Jordan had bums in 1990 when he had the #19 defense and a less productive all-star teammate (lower BPM, VORP, WS/48, PER, scoring, efficiency).. Jordan was considered to have a legit 1-man team in 1990, and that perception didn't change when he started winning titles the following year.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-02-2021, 10:04 PM
Poor mans Utah jazz, nothing special.

Mitchell > Steve smith
Gobert > cookie monster
Conley > blaylook

And why did you bring up Christian Laettner hahahahha

Gohan
07-02-2021, 10:05 PM
Dwight was missing his all-star point guard - he made the Finals with the AND1 point guard.

Dwight's 1 fringe all-star (Rashard) upset Lebron's 2 fringe all-stars (Zydrunas, Mo).. without homecourt... The Magic are one of the 5 biggest underdogs to ever win a playoff series..

Ultimately, you're forgetting that Mo Williams joined a 45-win loser in 2009 - so he wasn't coattailing and infact made those Cavs good (league favorite and 66 wins)... That's why he was an all-star, despite getting less PPG and APG than before Lebron..

Ultimately, if Lebron had "bums" in 2009 despite the #3 defense and an all-star teammate, then Jordan had bums in 1990 when he had the #19 defense and a less productive all-star teammate (lower BPM, VORP, WS/48, PER, scoring, efficiency).. Jordan was considered to have a legit 1-man team in 1990, and that perception didn't change when he started winning titles the following year.

i don't care about lebron. he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as iverson or kidd either. at-least not 2007 lebron

HoopsNY
07-02-2021, 10:07 PM

Mitchell > Steve smith
Gobert > cookie monster
Conley > blaylook

Mitchell is definitely better than Steve Smith. But I'm not taking Gobert over Dikembe or Conley over Blaylock. Blaylock was an elite defensive player who could also rebound, pass, and score.

3ba11
07-02-2021, 10:10 PM
i don't care about lebron. he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as iverson or kidd either. at-least not 2007 lebron

Iverson and Dwight carried their teams MORE than 07' Lebron - Lebron averaged 25 on 44% in the Eastern Playoffs.

Iverson carried Aaron McKie to the Finals.

Trae or Brook Lopez will win the conference this year with nothing, while Kawhi won the conference on his vacation and Jimmy carried an injury-riddled team - and then Iverson, Kidd and Dwight won before Lebron's super-teams.. So only Lebron's super-teams from 11-18' interrupted a trend of 1-star teams winning the East, post Jordan.

Reggie43
07-02-2021, 10:29 PM

Mitchell > Steve smith
Gobert > cookie monster
Conley > blaylook

Take away the Jazz's depth and thats a fairly even matchup. Steve Smith and Blaylock with the modern rules could definitely give that Utah backcourt a run for their money not mentioning the obvious advantage of Mutombo over Gobert.

kawhileonard2
07-02-2021, 10:30 PM
Probably title.