PDA

View Full Version : What If Ralph Sampson had stayed healthy alongside Hakeem.

coastalmarker99
07-03-2021, 12:05 AM
In Sampson's and Hakeem's second year together they managed to beat the defending champion Showtime Lakers in 5 games then take the '86 Celtics to 6.

This raises the question of how would this twin towers duo have gone in future seasons had Sampson managed to stay healthy.

HoopsNY
07-03-2021, 12:09 AM
Great post! Added to the banning of Mitchell Wiggins and Lewis Lloyd, and John Lucas getting cut from the team, all for drug addictions, the Sampson injury proved fatal for the Rockets who were then deemed "The Dynasty that Never Was."

Sampson came at a time where there wasn't modern medicine and he returned too soon from that injury against Boston.

Otherwise, as I've always said it, Hakeem likely appears in 5-6 NBA finals and probably wins 4-5 of them.

The '88 Pistons probably lose as do the '90 Pistons. And of course he won in 1994 and 1995.

coastalmarker99
07-03-2021, 12:09 AM
I don't think Showtime had the size in 1987 or 1988 to beat the Rockets twin towers duo.

So them having a final rematch with the injured Celtics in the 87 finals would have been interesting along with them vs the Bad Boys in 1988.

The Bad boys wouldn't have had the size or big man to go toe to toe with the Rockets in the finals as Hakeem and Sampson would have feasted against Bill and Rick.

So as a result you most likely have Hakeem winning 2 to 3 titles plus 1 or 2 finals MVP's in his first six seasons from 1984 to 1990.

HoopsNY
07-03-2021, 12:14 AM
I don't think Showtime had the size in 1987 or 1988 to beat the Rockets twin towers duo.

So them having a final rematch with the injured Celtics in the 87 finals would have been interesting along with them vs the Bad Boys in 1988.

It's likely they win in both 1987 and 1988. Things get interesting in 1989 and 1990, though, as team adjustments and other possible scenarios do play out.

But Hakeem's legacy would have been much higher. Tbh coastal, I rank Hakeem #2 in my all-time book, mostly because of what he was able to do against elite competition given his position and his ability to lift his team, winning some of the most historic comebacks in league history.

I'm a Knicks fan mind you, so 1994 is etched in my brain. What he was able to do against guys like Kareem, Eaton, Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, etc, just can't be ignored.

Even with injuries later on in his career, Hakeem put up 26/11/3/2/3 on 53% in the postseason. His defensive abilities were arguably the greatest ever. His low post moves were also arguably the greatest ever.

Hakeem is SEVERELY underrated.

1987_Lakers
07-03-2021, 12:18 AM
Hard to say, you can say the Lakers peaked in '87. Although the Lakers didn't matchup with the Rockets size, they did acquire Mychal Thompson mid-season that year (Klay's dad) who McHale said was one of the players who defended him the best. Lakers were a well oiled machine that year, I can't just flat out say a healthy Rockets team would have beat them, especially with Ralph Sampson being a mental midget, in '86 he was terrified of playing the boston garden, the fans had him shook and his performance shrunk.

coastalmarker99
07-03-2021, 12:18 AM
It's likely they win in both 1987 and 1988. Things get interesting in 1989 and 1990, though, as team adjustments and other possible scenarios do play out.

But Hakeem's legacy would have been much higher. Tbh coastal, I rank Hakeem #2 in my all-time book, mostly because of what he was able to do against elite competition given his position and his ability to lift his team, winning some of the most historic comebacks in league history.

I'm a Knicks fan mind you, so 1994 is etched in my brain. What he was able to do against guys like Kareem, Eaton, Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, etc, just can't be ignored.

Even with injuries later on in his career, Hakeem put up 26/11/3/2/3 on 53% in the postseason. His defensive abilities were arguably the greatest ever. His low post moves were also arguably the greatest ever.

John's performance in that game seven in the 1994 finals still makes me angry to this day as that was a WOAT performance on the biggest stage for the Knicks who I was rooting for in those finals.

coastalmarker99
07-03-2021, 12:23 AM
Hard to say, you can say the Lakers peaked in '87. Although the Lakers didn't matchup with the Rockets size, they did acquire Mychal Thompson mid-season that year (Klay's dad) who McHale said was one of the players who defended him the best. Lakers were a well oiled machine that year, I can't just flat out say a healthy Rockets team would have beat them, especially with Ralph Sampson being a mental midget, in '86 he was terrified of playing the boston garden, the fans had him shook and his performance shrunk.

The 1987 Lakers had a cakewalk to the finals that year as I think they played 3 straight garbage teams in the west on route to the finals.

And then they were nearly taken to seven by an injured Celtics team so I think the Rockets would have still beaten them that year as they did in 86.

HoopsNY
07-03-2021, 12:26 AM
It's amazing that some people think 1994 and 1995 are the only memorable seasons for Hakeem.

Were people watching him in 1993? He should have won MVP that year. I remember making a thread about this topic, too, lol.

1987_Lakers
07-03-2021, 12:26 AM
The 1987 Lakers had a cakewalk to the finals that year as I think they played 3 straight garbage teams in the west on route to the finals.

And then they were nearly taken to seven by an injured Celtics team so I think the Rockets would have still beaten them that year as they did in 86.

Lakers had a cake walk to the finals every year, that isn't news, but we all know they were not some fluky team as evident by beating the Sixers/Boston/Detroit in the Finals throughout the 80's.

coastalmarker99
07-03-2021, 12:34 AM
It's amazing that some people think 1994 and 1995 are the only memorable seasons for Hakeem.

Were people watching him in 1993? He should have won MVP that year. I remember making a thread about this topic, too, lol.

He also should have gotten Jordan's DPOY in 1988.

Xiao Yao You
07-03-2021, 12:43 AM
I thought Sampson was best as a rookie at center before Hakeem. They weren't an ideal fit

iamgine
07-03-2021, 01:24 AM
Ralph "Kristaps" Sampson

Druckenmiller
07-03-2021, 04:35 AM
Ralph Sampson, Bill Walton, Arvydas Sabonis are three of the all time “What Ifs” at the center position.

coastalmarker99
07-03-2021, 04:37 AM

Hakeem Olajuwon in the Western Conference Finals Throughout his Career:

• 30.4 PPG
• 10.8 RPG
• 3.9 APG
• 2.0 SPG
• 4.0 BPG
• 59.5 TS%

GOAT WCF Performer?

gonzaldo
07-03-2021, 06:27 AM
ok, another what if - Houston draft in 1983 Drexler instead of rodney McCray?

HoopsNY
07-03-2021, 12:31 PM
Hakeem Olajuwon in the Western Conference Finals Throughout his Career:

• 30.4 PPG
• 10.8 RPG
• 3.9 APG
• 2.0 SPG
• 4.0 BPG
• 59.5 TS%

GOAT WCF Performer?

You already know how I feel about Hakeem in the all-time rankings. lol

iamgine
07-03-2021, 12:58 PM
The Rockets might've won the 1986 title if they didn't lose their 2nd best player John Lucas just weeks before the playoff due to drug use.

Thenameless
07-03-2021, 06:31 PM
Ralph Sampson was the 1985 All Star Game MVP. It was one of the best performances I've ever seen. If that man doesn't get injured I'm afraid of what the Rockets could have done, as a Lakers fan.

RogueBorg
07-03-2021, 06:36 PM
In Sampson's and Hakeem's second year together they managed to beat the defending champion Showtime Lakers in 5 games then take the '86 Celtics to 6.

This raises the question of how would this twin towers duo have gone in future seasons had Sampson managed to stay healthy.

I think about this "whatif" alot. He was such a great player. Look at this pic of him posting up 6'-9" Magic Johnson

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/ralph-sampson-of-the-houston-rockets-post-up-against-magic-johnson-of-picture-id52165394?s=2048x2048

He was such a great player coming out of Virginia, and for a few years he was amazing. 7'-4" and could run like a gazelle, Porzingas had nothing on this guy, the original unicorn.

FKAri
07-03-2021, 08:26 PM
I think about this "whatif" alot. He was such a great player. Look at this pic of him posting up 6'-9" Magic Johnson

[IM]https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/ralph-sampson-of-the-houston-rockets-post-up-against-magic-johnson-of-picture-id52165394?s=2048x2048[/IMG]

He was such a great player coming out of Virginia, and for a few years he was amazing. 7'-4" and could run like a gazelle, Porzingas had nothing on this guy, the original unicorn.

Porzingis was quicker and bouncier. His combination of 3pt shooting + shot blocking is what made him a unicorn. Sampson didn't have that but what he had was in many ways more valuable. Sampson was stronger than Porzingis. He was a legit threat in the post.

What the two did have in common is freakish coordination and nimbleness at their height. And unfortunately the way things are going for Porzingis, it looks like careers derailed by injuries is also something they will share. It's sad as I am a huge fan of both players. I love unique physical talents.

kawhileonard2
07-03-2021, 10:07 PM
1988 would have been interesting as the Lakers went 7 in 3 straight series.