PDA

View Full Version : Can Inside the NBA thrive without Barkley who says he's retiring in 2 years?

Shogon
07-04-2021, 07:46 PM
Obviously they will go on and the show isn't going to get cancelled, but he's literally the lifeblood of the show in terms of making it what it is. We all know Ernie puts in a shit ton of work behind the scenes but... most of the entertaining shit that comes from the others still revolves around Charles, typically.

He's great at cracking jokes and being super chill when they poke at him.

He said he's retiring in 2 years... it probably falls apart after that right?

fsvr54
07-04-2021, 08:13 PM
Kenny should be the one retiring. I like Shaq despite his ego issues and he helps the show go too. Kenny gets worse by the year. I wouldn't hate Reggie Miller or Kendrick Perkins lol.

Gohan
07-04-2021, 08:19 PM
if Perkins shows up on tnt then I'm not watching. keep his ass on bspn

Proctor
07-04-2021, 08:20 PM
They've already packed it in anyway. It was can't miss TV until a year or two ago. In one of the articles about Barkley's potential retirement, he admitted to being somewhat muzzled by the network on certain topics or jokes that might nowadays be deemed offensive (San Antonio Big Ol' Women, etc).

In the last few years, the program has been littered with virtue signaling garbage, and relies heavier on staged theatrics and tweets to make up for the funny shit that they used to let fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_MKjBi_na8

Him calling out his boss as a cougar last night was probably the funniest thing in a while, but that stuff never happens anymore. :lol

guy
07-04-2021, 08:35 PM
Damn didn’t realize this was 2 week old news. Damn that sucks. To me, he’s literally the best character in all of the NBA, including players. So many people are into the NBA because of the studio show and people mainly care about Barkley. It’s going to be a pretty large void. Almost like Jordan retiring but obviously on a lesser scale. Could see a lot of people losing interest. ITN will basically be like the ESPN broadcast or a very forced version of itself with Shaq trying to take on more of the Barkley role.

highwhey
07-04-2021, 08:35 PM
the show sucks when chuck isn't on there, so i am assuming that yes. everyone says ernie is the glue to the show, and in his own way he may be that glue...but chuck is still the main attraction.

BurningHammer
07-05-2021, 04:09 AM
Dray may be in line to replace Chuck.

coin24
07-05-2021, 07:05 AM
They should get rid of Kenny, remember his little walk off the set? Should have walked away forever.

iamgine
07-05-2021, 08:03 AM
Falls apart? No.

Be a different vibe? Most likely.

Just have different recurring guest stars there would be great.

Iverson3
07-05-2021, 08:54 AM
Damn didn’t realize this was 2 week old news. Damn that sucks. To me, he’s literally the best character in all of the NBA, including players. So many people are into the NBA because of the studio show and people mainly care about Barkley. It’s going to be a pretty large void. Almost like Jordan retiring but obviously on a lesser scale. Could see a lot of people losing interest. ITN will basically be like the ESPN broadcast or a very forced version of itself with Shaq trying to take on more of the Barkley role.

Pffttttttt.

jayfan
07-05-2021, 09:09 AM

No.

getting_old
07-05-2021, 11:23 AM
i've just watched for Chuck, the only talking head i have bothered with for over 2 decades now

i PVR and fast-forward to the start of every kind of game unless Chuck is on

Clifton
07-05-2021, 12:00 PM
I don't think they'll replace Chuck with another Chuck. Shaq will become the Chuck, which is what he's always wanted. Without a vastly superior version of himself staring him down all the time, he'll probably be less of a deadweight than he has been so far.

My guess is Shaq replaces Chuck's role and instead of Shaq they'll try a bunch of people out on a rotating basis for a year or two. You'll probably see them experiment with a lot of different kinds of people. Most likely the next person offered a permanent spot is a woman.

I bet Kenny retires shortly after Chuck. As long as EJ and Kenny are there it will be recognizable.

If Shaq were to have mercy on us all and stop trying to be a TV guy (I get that he's funny in real life, but he's horrible on TV), my move would be to make a godfather offer to Jalen Rose. EJ, Kenny and Jalen with a rotating guest spot for #4.

L.Kizzle
07-05-2021, 12:00 PM
They should have kept Webber around. I like when he's in the studio.
Gary Payton.

And1AllDay
07-05-2021, 12:38 PM
They've already packed it in anyway. It was can't miss TV until a year or two ago. In one of the articles about Barkley's potential retirement, he admitted to being somewhat muzzled by the network on certain topics or jokes that might nowadays be deemed offensive (San Antonio Big Ol' Women, etc).

In the last few years, the program has been littered with virtue signaling garbage, and relies heavier on staged theatrics and tweets to make up for the funny shit that they used to let fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_MKjBi_na8

Him calling out his boss as a cougar last night was probably the funniest thing in a while, but that stuff never happens anymore. :lol

its just locker room talk chill out :oldlol:

baudkarma
07-05-2021, 12:56 PM
I'm wondering if he'll stay retired, though. He'll only be 60 years old at that point. Say ratings tank after he leaves, and TNT offers him a substantial raise to sign a new contract. Does he say no?

Mauzah
07-05-2021, 01:29 PM
You can't replace Chuck. Sure, somebody can take that seat... but you can't replace Chuck.

theballerFKA Ace
07-05-2021, 01:37 PM
Dray may be in line to replace Chuck.

There is no player with pedigree, personality and balls to say whatever they want that Charles has. I agree Dray would probably be the closest.

I'm surprised Gilbert Arenas didn't get into sportscasting

I like Ernie but he's getting old. No way he can carry Shaq and Kenny on his back to good ratings

AlternativeAcc.
07-05-2021, 01:40 PM
Pippen.

He's the hottest name in sports and a GOAT tier athlete

It only makes sense