PDA

View Full Version : Ben Simmons trade value reportedly still pretty high around NBA

Mask the Embiid
07-05-2021, 12:02 PM
The last picture in most people’s minds of Ben Simmons is a guy in his own head, his confidence shaken, passing up a dunk in Game 7 against Atlanta. With that came the perception that Simmons both needed to be traded and his trade valued had hit an all-time low.

While Philadephia and GM Daryl Morey are open to trading Simmons, his trade value around the NBA is not as low as many fans think, reports Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated while on the Bill Simmons podcast on The Ringer (hat tip *********).

“I hear from executives all the time that are loving this ‘Ben Simmons trade value has cratered’ conversation because they hope that Philadelphia believes that. I think his trade value is actually higher than what’s being publicly portrayed. But you’re going to continue to hear a lot of the negativity around Ben Simmons.

“In other words, I think people value him pretty high across the league because I do think there’s a belief that someone’s going to figure the shooting thing out.”

Simmons is an All-Star player who averaged 14.3 points and 6.9 assists a game last season while finishing second in Defensive Player of the Year voting — he is still an outstanding player. One who brings a lot of value to the court.

Morey is not going to trade low on him. It’s going to take an All-Star level player who would fit well with Joel Embiid to get into the conversation.

Simmons’ next team needs to build up his confidence, get him focused on improving his shooting and trusting it, but also putting him in positions where he can succeed on the court (and build confidence with that). Get the man the ball in his hands in transition. His next team is still getting an All-Star player who can help them win games, even if all fans may remember is the passed-up dunk. NBA executives should be able to see past that.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/07/05/ben-simmons-trade-value-reportedly-still-pretty-high-around-nba/

Gohan
07-05-2021, 12:11 PM
the last picture in most people’s minds of ben simmons is a guy in his own head, his confidence shaken, passing up a dunk in game 7 against atlanta. With that came the perception that simmons both needed to be traded and his trade valued had hit an all-time low.

While philadephia and gm daryl morey are open to trading simmons, his trade value around the nba is not as low as many fans think, reports chris mannix of sports illustrated while on the bill simmons podcast on the ringer (hat tip *********).

Simmons is an all-star player who averaged 14.3 points and 6.9 assists a game last season while finishing second in defensive player of the year voting — he is still an outstanding player. One who brings a lot of value to the court.

Morey is not going to trade low on him. It’s going to take an all-star level player who would fit well with joel embiid to get into the conversation.

Simmons’ next team needs to build up his confidence, get him focused on improving his shooting and trusting it, but also putting him in positions where he can succeed on the court (and build confidence with that). Get the man the ball in his hands in transition. His next team is still getting an all-star player who can help them win games, even if all fans may remember is the passed-up dunk. Nba executives should be able to see past that.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/07/05/ben-simmons-trade-value-reportedly-still-pretty-high-around-nba/

trade for lilliard

AirBonner
07-05-2021, 12:38 PM
That’s great. Let’s see what actually happens. Perception vs reality is often very different

Clifton
07-05-2021, 12:59 PM
Unless we're talking Jerry West trading Pau Gasol, every trade is a bidding war. In order for Simmons' trade value to be X, that means none of the 28 other general managers would be willing to pay X+1. If you really think about it, if someone was going to get Ben Simmons for a couple of mid-tier starters, wouldn't you want your team to offer that plus a mid-first rounder?

It might get complicated because dirty rotten mob boss Rich Paul is his agent, but the good news for everyone might be that after that Game 7, he probably wants to go somewhere low-key to rehabilitate his swagger, so he'll be less of a flight risk than an AD at this point.

MaxPlayer
07-05-2021, 01:05 PM
The problem with Simmons IMO is that he's not necessarily a plug-and-play guy on most contenders. I think he can be effective, but he needs a particular lineup/roster that can cover for his weaknesses.

ImKobe
07-05-2021, 01:14 PM
The problem with Simmons IMO is that he's not necessarily a plug-and-play guy on most contenders. I think he can be effective, but he needs a particular lineup/roster that can cover for his weaknesses.

You can pair him with an elite scoring PG and have him play the Draymond role.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-05-2021, 02:25 PM
That’s great. Let’s see what actually happens. Perception vs reality is often very different
That goes both ways, particularly in this case.

All I know is this. My friends all think Simmons is "trash", as does everyone in the "Simmons sucks" twitter zeitgeist. I also know the NBA has a bunch of dumb GM's and very few smart GM's.

Now, it is my belief that dumb GM's (who either think Simmons value is low or high) can easily be suckered in to trading high value for Simmons, but also smart GM's truly do understand that he his an elite, game-changing player worth that high value for a trade and probably would be fine trading said high value for Simmons. I'm not sure of the term for this, but I'm sure one exists - where 2 separate views or mentality spectrums eventually come to the same conclusion for different reasons.

But as others have said, it'll be a bidding war and his high value will likely show. Or the Sixers keep him. Which is still a proxy reflection of his high value. And of course, it's all relative to target team and their needs. Maybe a team like the Warriors offer much more than a team like the Pistons would, given their respective rosters and aspirations.

This is why "value" is really an inexact science when it comes to trades, especially when picks will be involved. Double especially when pick placement is already determined. Who's to say... Wiggins + #7 + 2022 1st is > or < than #1 overall? Or Barnes + Bags + Buddy + #9 is > or < than FVV + #4? etc etc

Full Court
07-05-2021, 06:12 PM
I think the Nets should trade for him. They need a good defender, and they don't need him to score at all.

tpols
07-05-2021, 06:23 PM
Ben Simmons had positive splits and impact in the playoffs. Yea he may not shoot much, but he doubles dray up. People hype dray... Simmons is a 6'11 version with better scoring and everything the same otherwise.

tpols
07-05-2021, 06:26 PM
That goes both ways, particularly in this case.

All I know is this. My friends all think Simmons is "trash", as does everyone in the "Simmons sucks" twitter zeitgeist. I also know the NBA has a bunch of dumb GM's and very few smart GM's.

Now, it is my belief that dumb GM's (who either think Simmons value is low or high) can easily be suckered in to trading high value for Simmons, but also smart GM's truly do understand that he his an elite, game-changing player worth that high value for a trade and probably would be fine trading said high value for Simmons. I'm not sure of the term for this, but I'm sure one exists - where 2 separate views or mentality spectrums eventually come to the same conclusion for different reasons.

But as others have said, it'll be a bidding war and his high value will likely show. Or the Sixers keep him. Which is still a proxy reflection of his high value. And of course, it's all relative to target team and their needs. Maybe a team like the Warriors offer much more than a team like the Pistons would, given their respective rosters and aspirations.

This is why "value" is really an inexact science when it comes to trades, especially when picks will be involved. Double especially when pick placement is already determined. Who's to say... Wiggins + #7 + 2022 1st is > or < than #1 overall? Or Barnes + Bags + Buddy + #9 is > or < than FVV + #4? etc etc

The problem isn't Simmons, its Tobias Harris. Everything points to this.

Manny98
07-05-2021, 06:50 PM
I would do Harden for Simmons,Green and Curry

Gohan
07-05-2021, 06:53 PM
i would do harden for simmons,green and curry

i wouldnt id trade kyrie though

97 bulls
07-05-2021, 07:25 PM
I think the Nets should trade for him. They need a good defender, and they don't need him to score at all.

Simmons traded for Harde. And the Nets would be an all time great team.

n00bie
07-05-2021, 07:32 PM
I feel sorry for any team that picks up Simmons.

FireDavidKahn
07-05-2021, 08:06 PM
“In other words, I think people value him pretty high across the league because I do think there’s a belief that someone’s going to figure the shooting thing out.”

This report/rumor is 100% leaked by Simmons' camp.

97 bulls
07-05-2021, 08:19 PM

This report/rumor is 100% leaked by Simmons' camp.

Lol. Wow

97 bulls
07-05-2021, 08:20 PM
I feel sorry for any team that picks up Simmons.

I'd be happy to get him on the Bulls.

Gohan
07-05-2021, 08:28 PM
simmons traded for harde. And the nets would be an all time great team.

they dont need simmons, they just need a quality big man and they can get that from another team with a better package than what the sixers can offer. Nets should avoid simmons like the plague

miggyme1
07-06-2021, 05:50 AM
It should be,he is basically jason kidd in a 7 foot body that can guard every position on the floor. If he can just develop a set shot like jason kidd did at the backend of his career dude is a lock for the hall of fame.

Mask the Embiid
07-06-2021, 06:30 AM
76ers turned down a ben simmons for malcolm brogdon + 1st round pick offer. why? idk

stay tuned. Hopefully, we can somehow get a kawhi or beal somehow.....just want him off the team

GOBB
07-06-2021, 07:36 AM
Ben Simmons had positive splits and impact in the playoffs. Yea he may not shoot much, but he doubles dray up. People hype dray... Simmons is a 6'11 version with better scoring and everything the same otherwise.

Better scoring? In general which factors regular season? Sure. In the playoffs that just last? He was as bad as Draymond scoring. If not for Hack A Ben his avg would be treading to PJ Tucker territory.

GOBB
07-06-2021, 07:39 AM
76ers turned down a ben simmons for malcolm brogdon + 1st round pick offer. why? idk

stay tuned. Hopefully, we can somehow get a kawhi or beal somehow.....just want him off the team

You’re not getting either player so cancel that now. Why on earth would you even type Leonard? Not even a realistic option.

Anyway, Kings D.Fox would be a nice target for the Sixers. Room for improvement as a defender as he’s better than he used to be. But not all defense. And not the best of shooters from 3 but he attempts them. 2 areas he has a foundation to improve on. Moreso from 3. A deal centering around Ben and Fox would be great.

Akeem34TheDream
07-06-2021, 07:41 AM
If he could only shoot midranges at 40% he would be a top 10 player.

GOBB
07-06-2021, 07:41 AM
It should be,he is basically jason kidd in a 7 foot body that can guard every position on the floor. If he can just develop a set shot like jason kidd did at the backend of his career dude is a lock for the hall of fame.

How is he Jason Kidd when he doesn’t shoot the ball? Kidd shot the ball. Might want to educate yourself on him first. And no I’m not even referencing to when he became a set 3pt shooter either. Also Ben is not a PG, he’s a Forward that can facilitate. He’s about as much of a PG as Pippen, Andre Igoudala were. Kidd was a natural PG. learn the difference

rawimpact
07-06-2021, 09:42 AM
You can pair him with an elite scoring PG and have him play the Draymond role.

No you cant

You need multiple elite shooters to play the draymond role. If draymond was getting paid 35-40M like simmons, the warriors wouldnt have been a thing.

PP34Deuce
07-06-2021, 10:48 AM
ben simmons is scared to shoot now. jason kidd had a bad jumper but he still took them

ImKobe
07-06-2021, 10:49 AM
No you cant

You need multiple elite shooters to play the draymond role. If draymond was getting paid 35-40M like simmons, the warriors wouldnt have been a thing.

He's not making 35+ mil though. He won't get paid over 34 mil in a season until 2024 so you can build around him.

rawimpact
07-06-2021, 10:56 AM
He's not making 35+ mil though. He won't get paid over 34 mil in a season until 2024 so you can build around him.

Ok so 33M...

Warriors wouldnt be a thing if Dray was at that point.

Ex. Curry making 45, Simmons 33 is already 78M. You've got 30M to sign the other 10-12 players? C'mon man Even if you blow it up and take the luxury tax hit thats still half in just two players and you need another elite scorer for this to work. Otherwise you'll see what happened with Embiid... simmons defender just lets ben shoot and doubles/plays zone against embiid.

90sgoat
07-06-2021, 11:38 AM
I like him as a small ball center on Mavs and as a backup PG for Luka.

FireDavidKahn
07-06-2021, 12:30 PM

Wrong

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/philadelphia-76ers/ben-simmons-20206/

2021-22 Contract details by year 25 $33,003,936
2022-23 Contract details by year 26 $35,448,672
2023-24 Contract details by year 27 $37,893,408
2024-25 Contract details by year 28 $40,338,144

Gohan
07-06-2021, 12:41 PM
if you build your team around ben simmons then something is wrong with you