PDA

View Full Version : Prime Danny Granger was a solid scorer

Lebron23
07-08-2021, 09:32 AM
He was like a much better version of Tobias Harris. He averaged 26 ppg during his prime. It sucks his career was shortened due to injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2WAYsp5s0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4JlRwislhM

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/kPXi6V2f8mPsF_LHbCO5ayQh2aY=/0x0:2000x1333/1200x800/filters:focal(0x0:2000x1333)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/47520801/GettyImages-94123825.0.jpg

HoopsNY
07-08-2021, 02:04 PM
He was an awesome talent. Before him, I remember the hype regarding Jonathan Bender coming out of high school. Sadly, he didn't pan out.

The league has had a lot of guys come and go who had short stints where they really looked like they were going to evolve into something special. I remember the Knicks drafted John Wallace and he always seemed to be able to put the ball in the basket. But for some reason, his career never took off, either.

Spain_
07-08-2021, 02:08 PM
He was an awesome talent. Before him, I remember the hype regarding Jonathan Bender coming out of high school. Sadly, he didn't pan out.

The league has had a lot of guys come and go who had short stints where they really looked like they were going to evolve into something special. I remember the Knicks drafted John Wallace and he always seemed to be able to put the ball in the basket. But for some reason, his career never took off, either.

Gilbert Arenas

HoopsNY
07-08-2021, 03:01 PM
Gilbert Arenas

Arenas kinda panned out though. His first 9 seasons, he was a 23/4/6/2 player on 43/36/80 splits. He led his team to the playoffs three times and played in the playoffs a total of five times in his career.

Other guys weren't so lucky. They either had a really short stint, or no stint at all. Anyone remember Darius Miles? Some thought he was gonna be the next KJ and guys like Will Bynum were the next Steve Francis. Well, that didn't quite workout now did it.

Spain_
07-08-2021, 03:59 PM
Arenas kinda panned out though. His first 9 seasons, he was a 23/4/6/2 player on 43/36/80 splits. He led his team to the playoffs three times and played in the playoffs a total of five times in his career.

Other guys weren't so lucky. They either had a really short stint, or no stint at all. Anyone remember Darius Miles? Some thought he was gonna be the next KJ and guys like Will Bynum were the next Steve Francis. Well, that didn't quite workout now did it.

Miles sucked though.

HoopsNY
07-08-2021, 04:04 PM
Miles sucked though.

Coming into the league he had a lot of potential. He definitely did suck, but the hope was that he would evolve into a KG type. Of course, it didn't workout that way, just like Eddy Curry didn't become Shaq.

Another player that comes to mind was Loy Vaught. He had flashes of greatness but got damn the Clippers were a bad franchise back then. Elgin Baylor was a failed superstar (in that he won no rings) but a really horrid executive.

Spain_
07-08-2021, 05:06 PM
Coming into the league he had a lot of potential. He definitely did suck, but the hope was that he would evolve into a KG type. Of course, it didn't workout that way, just like Eddy Curry didn't become Shaq.

Another player that comes to mind was Loy Vaught. He had flashes of greatness but got damn the Clippers were a bad franchise back then. Elgin Baylor was a failed superstar (in that he won no rings) but a really horrid executive.

The worst are the guys that fool you into thinking they aren't trash (OJ Mayo, Bargnani,Zingis,Larry Hughes) no the guys that are immediately disappointing (Hezonja, Bender, Miles,Joe Alexander)

HoopsNY
07-08-2021, 05:13 PM
The worst are the guys that fool you into thinking they aren't trash (OJ Mayo, Bargnani,Zingis,Larry Hughes) no the guys that are immediately disappointing (Hezonja, Bender, Miles,Joe Alexander)

Some of those guys mentioned didn't suck though. Circumstances and the individual's drive for success are usually determining factors. But the reality is that most highly touted guys won't pan out as history has shown us. Remember Darko? Boy did that fail horribly.

In the case of Hughes, I do feel his work ethic was poor, but he came into a situation where he played alongside all-time great teammates (Iverson, MJ, LeBron) who each did their part in killing his potential. Hughes was not allowed to be a great scorer/slasher in any system that he played in.

In most cases, such guys have great potential, but for whatever reason, their lack of (insert the problem) coupled with external circumstances really diminish their potential and overall outcome. Just look at Kwame Brown.

Bargnani was a special case. I actually think he reached his potential. KP is another who will be interesting to see what he does in the future. He's still very young (25 if I'm not mistaken), and has shown that the only major problem for him, currently, is remaining healthy. Otherwise, a healthy KP is probably going to give you a consistent 20/10 on a nightly basis.

Spain_
07-08-2021, 06:21 PM
Some of those guys mentioned didn't suck though. Circumstances and the individual's drive for success are usually determining factors. But the reality is that most highly touted guys won't pan out as history has shown us. Remember Darko? Boy did that fail horribly.

In the case of Hughes, I do feel his work ethic was poor, but he came into a situation where he played alongside all-time great teammates (Iverson, MJ, LeBron) who each did their part in killing his potential. Hughes was not allowed to be a great scorer/slasher in any system that he played in.

In most cases, such guys have great potential, but for whatever reason, their lack of (insert the problem) coupled with external circumstances really diminish their potential and overall outcome. Just look at Kwame Brown.

Bargnani was a special case. I actually think he reached his potential. KP is another who will be interesting to see what he does in the future. He's still very young (25 if I'm not mistaken), and has shown that the only major problem for him, currently, is remaining healthy. Otherwise, a healthy KP is probably going to give you a consistent 20/10 on a nightly basis.

KP is physically incapable of being healthy and with each passing year he is transforming into skinny Kelly Olynyk.

Spain_
07-08-2021, 06:25 PM

Kwame reached his potential of being a decent role player, he was clearly misjudged coming out oh HS, should have been a late first round pick.
Marko didn't like basketball or sports in general, he couldn't care less.
Bargnani straight up sucked, he put up numbers some years but they were completely empty, dude couldn't even an impact player in the euroleague.

ImKobe
07-08-2021, 06:28 PM
Another one of those what-ifs. Wade and Bron had to go off in 2012 to avoid a Game 7, but George had not become a star yet. I believe they beat Miami in '13 or '14 if Granger never has that injury, Pacers really could have used his offense because Indy had almost an ATG defense but a bottom 10 offense in both those years.

Spain_
07-08-2021, 06:33 PM
Another one of those what-ifs. Wade and Bron had to go off in 2012 to avoid a Game 7, but George had not become a star yet. I believe they beat Miami in '13 or '14 if Granger never has that injury, Pacers really could have used his offense because Indy had almost an ATG defense but a bottom 10 offense in both those years.

I grew up loving the playstyle of guys like Granger, ISO scoring from mid range is just so watchable, too bad it has been done away with due to analytics, the game is less fun without it.

HylianNightmare
07-08-2021, 07:12 PM
I know Paul George doesn't turn into the player that he did as quickly as he does if Granger doesn't get hurt but man the 2 of them would have been fun fun to watch

HoopsNY
07-08-2021, 07:58 PM
I know Paul George doesn't turn into the player that he did as quickly as he does if Granger doesn't get hurt but man the 2 of them would have been fun fun to watch

Yea, definitely agree with this. It reminds me of some duos that would have been interesting had they remained:

Granger/George
Allen/Redd
Ellis/Steph
Houston/Hill
Harden/KD/Westbrook
Magic/Nixon

Of course, some of these moves had to be made, but they were still interesting to see in their infancy and minus any locker room woes or injuries, would have been interesting to see them play out long term.

Reggie43
07-08-2021, 08:13 PM
Would have been great to see him as a small ball four and a secondary player to a superstar.

72-10
07-08-2021, 09:53 PM
too bad we didn't get to see him on the big stage much
too bad he provided no defense

bobopenguin
07-08-2021, 11:30 PM
Yea, definitely agree with this. It reminds me of some duos that would have been interesting had they remained:

Granger/George
Allen/Redd
Ellis/Steph
Houston/Hill
Harden/KD/Westbrook
Magic/Nixon

Of course, some of these moves had to be made, but they were still interesting to see in their infancy and minus any locker room woes or injuries, would have been interesting to see them play out long term.

that duo sucked.

HoopsNY
07-08-2021, 11:46 PM
that duo sucked.

I wouldn't say they sucked, but two ball handler/playmakers both unable to gel and play off the ball and relinquish roles sometimes is a recipe for disaster. To be fair, Monta was more vocal about it, which is probably what led to the trade IIRC. But how do things play out long term is the key, probably nowhere near as good as with a guy like Klay, so it worked out for the best I guess.