PDA

View Full Version : How long could have Bird played in the NBA if he didn't have a bad back.

coastalmarker99
07-10-2021, 08:54 AM
In Bird's last season in 1991-92, His back limited him to even fewer games - 45 than the year prior and he somehow put up slightly better stats than the season before despite being a year older and his body having that much more mileage on it.

He put up 20.2ppg, 9.6rpg, 6.8apg on 46.6% FG, 40.6% 3P, and 92.6% FT, flirting with another 50/40/90 season. His +1.6% rTS equates to 58.8% today. .

He recorded 24 double-doubles - meaning he had a double-double in over half the games he played. He even recorded one triple-double, putting on a 49 point, 14 rebounds, 12 assists, 4 steals, 1 block performance on 54.3% from the field in 54 minutes in a 4 point double-overtime win against Portland near the end of the season on March 15, 1992, in the absolute twilight of his career.

His 5.5 BPM was the highest on his team(and in the top 2.8% of the league!), and his .159 WS/48 were the second-highest(I've thrown out Kenny Battle's .196 because he only played 46 minutes all season) on the team and in the top 8.3% of the league.

His 26.9% AST% was in the top 11.9% of the league, and the second-highest among SFs after Joao Vianna(who?) who only played 9 minutes that season.

His 14.4% TRB% was in the top 19.9% of the league and was the second-highest among SFs.

In the 45 games he played, the Celtics were 31-14. The margin of victory in those 31 wins was 15ppg. In the 37 games he missed, they were 20-17. The margin of victory in those 20 wins was 9.1ppg. That's a nearly 15% increase in winning percentage - .688 vs .540 - and +5.9ppg in MOV.

What's more, if you include the losses in the MOV calculations, the Celtics' MOV with Bird was +5.822, while without it was +0.946, nearly a 5ppg, and over 600%, difference. The team's SRS for the season was +3.41(8th of 27) as compared to 0.93(13th of 27) the next season after Bird was gone. To the very end, he made his team better.

He put up an all-star statline, made the all-star team for the 12th and final time(though he didn't play), and made his own team substantially better, and he did all of this while in constant pain.

The team doctor, Ed Lacerte, and Bird's physiotherapist, Dan Dyrek had their hands full, and Bird had to undergo much treatment just to be able to play the 45 games he did play. There were reportedly times where Bird was in traction before the games he played in.

When we talk about the most memorable instances of players playing through injury or illness, we're usually talking about single games, like Jordan's flu game, or even parts of games, like Isiah's sprained ankle third quarter, but in terms of season-long instances of perseverance through injury, I'm not sure there's a more impressive story than what Bird did in his last two years and the last one in particular.

Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to see playoff success. He missed the last two weeks of the RS and the entire first round vs the Pacers with back pain and didn't return until midway through the second round series vs a very good Cavs team featuring Daugherty, Price, Nance, etc.

Bird played as decently as he could through the pain - including a 16 point, 14 assist performance in 37 minutes in Game 6, his last career double-double in his last game at the Boston Garden, to help the Celtics to a 31-point series-tying victory to force a Game 7 in Cleveland - but he couldn't get them into the ECF.

That Celtics team was comprised of a declining McHale and Parish and younger guys like Dee Brown, Kevin Gamble, and rookie Rick Fox; Reggie Lewis was playing like a star, but it was asking too much for Bird to lead this group to a playoff series victory over perhaps the best Cavs team of that era(and they certainly wouldn't have gotten past the 92 Bulls in the ECF if they'd gotten there). The team just didn't have enough.

coastalmarker99
07-10-2021, 09:04 AM
When looking at Bird's career the dude was one tough SOB, to say the least, and it is interesting to think just how much better the last part of his career would have been if he hadn't dealt with his serious back issues.

HoopsNY
07-10-2021, 01:37 PM
In Bird's last season in 1991-92, His back limited him to even fewer games - 45 than the year prior and he somehow put up slightly better stats than the season before despite being a year older and his body having that much more mileage on it.

He put up 20.2ppg, 9.6rpg, 6.8apg on 46.6% FG, 40.6% 3P, and 92.6% FT, flirting with another 50/40/90 season. His +1.6% rTS equates to 58.8% today. .

He recorded 24 double-doubles - meaning he had a double-double in over half the games he played. He even recorded one triple-double, putting on a 49 point, 14 rebounds, 12 assists, 4 steals, 1 block performance on 54.3% from the field in 54 minutes in a 4 point double-overtime win against Portland near the end of the season on March 15, 1992, in the absolute twilight of his career.

His 5.5 BPM was the highest on his team(and in the top 2.8% of the league!), and his .159 WS/48 were the second-highest(I've thrown out Kenny Battle's .196 because he only played 46 minutes all season) on the team and in the top 8.3% of the league.

His 26.9% AST% was in the top 11.9% of the league, and the second-highest among SFs after Joao Vianna(who?) who only played 9 minutes that season.

His 14.4% TRB% was in the top 19.9% of the league and was the second-highest among SFs.

In the 45 games he played, the Celtics were 31-14. The margin of victory in those 31 wins was 15ppg. In the 37 games he missed, they were 20-17. The margin of victory in those 20 wins was 9.1ppg. That's a nearly 15% increase in winning percentage - .688 vs .540 - and +5.9ppg in MOV.

What's more, if you include the losses in the MOV calculations, the Celtics' MOV with Bird was +5.822, while without it was +0.946, nearly a 5ppg, and over 600%, difference. The team's SRS for the season was +3.41(8th of 27) as compared to 0.93(13th of 27) the next season after Bird was gone. To the very end, he made his team better.

He put up an all-star statline, made the all-star team for the 12th and final time(though he didn't play), and made his own team substantially better, and he did all of this while in constant pain.

The team doctor, Ed Lacerte, and Bird's physiotherapist, Dan Dyrek had their hands full, and Bird had to undergo much treatment just to be able to play the 45 games he did play. There were reportedly times where Bird was in traction before the games he played in.

When we talk about the most memorable instances of players playing through injury or illness, we're usually talking about single games, like Jordan's flu game, or even parts of games, like Isiah's sprained ankle third quarter, but in terms of season-long instances of perseverance through injury, I'm not sure there's a more impressive story than what Bird did in his last two years and the last one in particular.

Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to see playoff success. He missed the last two weeks of the RS and the entire first round vs the Pacers with back pain and didn't return until midway through the second round series vs a very good Cavs team featuring Daugherty, Price, Nance, etc.

Bird played as decently as he could through the pain - including a 16 point, 14 assist performance in 37 minutes in Game 6, his last career double-double in his last game at the Boston Garden, to help the Celtics to a 31-point series-tying victory to force a Game 7 in Cleveland - but he couldn't get them into the ECF.

That Celtics team was comprised of a declining McHale and Parish and younger guys like Dee Brown, Kevin Gamble, and rookie Rick Fox; Reggie Lewis was playing like a star, but it was asking too much for Bird to lead this group to a playoff series victory over perhaps the best Cavs team of that era(and they certainly wouldn't have gotten past the 92 Bulls in the ECF if they'd gotten there). The team just didn't have enough.

It's unbelievable how good Bird was. With a rising star in Reggie Lewis, who knows how things may have turned out. Unfortunate how death and injuries can end legacies.

Between '84-'88, Bird was 27/10/7/2/1 on 51/40/90. He probably strings together a few more seasons of similar performances before declining. Who knows what the outcome would have been, but I guarantee a lot of ppl would be talking about him being the GOAT if that were the case.

It just goes to show how longevity shouldn't be the be all end all of a discussion, whereas peak/prime play should. Bird's ability to raise his team's ceiling is remarkable.

Look at Boston w/ Bird in 1988: 57 wins, ECF, 1st in SRS
Look at Boston w/o Bird in 1989: 42 wins, 1st round sweep, 12th in SRS

And that was a team with McHale, Parish, and Lewis.

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2021, 01:49 PM
He might not have had a bad back if he hadn't played the way he did. He dove on the floor for balls etc. Whatever it took to win

MadDog
07-10-2021, 01:52 PM
In his final season, Bird's back cut his minutes short. He was 35 and I think only played 25 a game. Averaged 20/10/7 on 47% though, so just imagine if he were healthy and playing his normal minutes. If that ailment didn't exist, Bird probably has another few DEEP postseason runs. Boston would've stayed contenders and he plays close to 40. Retiring sometime in the mid 90s.

He might not have had a bad back if he hadn't played the way he did. He dove on the floor for balls etc. Whatever it took to win

Bird messed his back up in his own driveway. Shoveling rock. True story.

90sgoat
07-10-2021, 02:58 PM
It's a real shame he couldn't have sticked around a few more years to play against guys like Shaq and Grant Hill. It would have made comparisons between eras easier.

When we want to compare Bird to modern players it's always through his play against MJ and Barkley to a lesser degree, but both of those quit in the 90s, while Shaq and Hill entered the league in 1992 and 1994 respectively and both played well into the Lebron current age.

If we had footage of Bird dominating against Hill, that would have been very good for comparisons sake.

mr4speed
07-10-2021, 09:57 PM
When looking at Bird's career the dude was one tough SOB, to say the least, and it is interesting to think just how much better the last part of his career would have been if he hadn't dealt with his serious back issues.

Talking about how tough Bird was as a player, I would recommend reading the book by Peter May titled "The Big Three" . There is a story on page 232 that describes what happened when Bird was accidentally elbowed in the eye by Dell Curry. Celtic team physician Arnold Scheller said "when I first saw him, he had double vision. He was seeing two rims and he was still making shots, but he wouldn't tell me. He blew his nose and his eye dropped out of the socket and I said to myself, now he's got a real problem". This was when Bird had to wear the goggles to protect and let his eye heal. Another gem from page 266 from Bird himself = " a lot of games I played where I couldn't feel my feet. I knew it was stupid, but I had to do it. I had to try and push through it. You're laying on the floor for 8 days at a time and not even moving. Eating all your meals on the floor like a dog. But at the time I'm glad I did it, because I wanted to play basketball". That right there sums up Bird perfectly!

Axe
07-11-2021, 02:09 AM
If he didn't have a bad back plus len bias and reggie lewis didn't succumb to death, then they would have had a dynasty in the 90s.