PDA

View Full Version : Can you remember any individual shots from Shawn Marions entire career?

Kblaze8855
07-10-2021, 05:44 PM
Maybe that huge dunk/offensive foul that ended up on posters….but not much is it?

https://youtu.be/F0n4LJ2SiWo

https://youtu.be/ipb3nGEP1tA

He did get buckets….and created a number of them himself despite not having that reputation. Obviously he lives of those outside the offense random buckets but he could do more than finish. Real plug and play guy. Could probably start 3-4-5 for you today depending on the matchup. Switch and do an average or above job on literally the entire nba. Embiid and a few bigs could muscle him and some guards would be quicker but not enough in either case to have those guys going off in unusual ways because of the switch. I’ve seen him guard Tony Parker and Duncan and Tmac and Yao in the same games. He’s a “switch everything” eras ideal defender. Even in Dallas he was out there with multiple game winning defensive plays and playing a big role(though he, Kidd, Chandler, and Peja have since melted away into nameless peons when people talk about the 11 Mavs as if Jason Terry was all Dirk had).

Im not sure Marion got his due credit at any point.

https://youtu.be/GlI1x74Ies4

Dallas Marion was solid even if not always spectacular or being talked about.

I’m not sure Jason Terry was actually better at basketball than Dallas Marion but that drags us into a whole “Is scoring more performing better” conversation that never goes anywhere.

I don’t have any particular point here other than to mention his name and see if anyone else cares to chime in. I just kinda liked his game. It grew on me after a while on offense. If I must do the forum thing and give you something to reply to I’ll add this….

Id take prime Marion over at least 4 people on the all nba team this year. Feel free to give me your count if you have one….

osition
Player
Team

G
Stephen Curry
Warriors

G
Luka Doncic
Mavericks

F
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Bucks

F
Kawhi Leonard
Clippers

C
Nikola Jokic
Nuggets

All-NBA Second Team

Position
Player
Team

G
Damian Lillard
Trail Blazers

G
Chris Paul
Suns

F
Julius Randle
Knicks

F
LeBron James
Lakers

C
Joel Embiid
76ers

All-NBA Third Team

Position
Player
Team

G
Bradley Beal
Wizards

G
Kyrie Irving
Nets

F
Jimmy Butler
Heat

F
Paul George
Clippers

C
Rudy Gobert
Jazz

And name names so we can fight about it.

Kblaze8855
07-10-2021, 05:47 PM
Randle, Beal, Kyrie, and Gobert for me with Jimmy Butler depending on the team I had. I wouldn’t necessarily say he’s better than all of them…but for the kinda team I’d be out to build? More useful to it.

FultzNationRISE
07-10-2021, 05:54 PM
Marion was an early prototype of today's ideal player: The tall, athletic wing who can space the floor and defend multiple positions. Didn't create his own shot the way the top 'swing forwards' of today do, but he was always an impact guy. Definitely underrated in an era that still put way too much emphasis on mixtape-style flashiness.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-10-2021, 06:28 PM
I would say if Ben Simmons turned himself into shawn marion, he would be looked at in a more positive way. Similar defense impact, similar athleticism but marion found ways to be a more valuable offensive player despite being way worse as a passer.

However, marion was kind of looked at as a playoff choker until his mavs days and would really struggle against the spurs.

Reggie43
07-10-2021, 06:43 PM
One of my fave players ever. Off the top of my head I remember he had a last second putback dunk that got erased by a length of the court pass that resulted in a buzzer beating layup.