PDA

View Full Version : Why can't these more advanced players score more than 85 pts?

Bronbron23
07-13-2021, 09:00 AM
Against Australia at that. Clearly the nba soft rules has allowed for the increased scoring and stats. It has nothing to do with players being more advanced. This isn't even a question anymore. Guys are having to work way harder to get quality looks in international play compared to the nba where a basic screen or pic and roll can't be defended. All the b.s flopping and foul baiting isn't being rewarded either. Players are shooting less than half of free throws they shoot in the nba.

Must hurt for proponents of this era to finally realize this era's nba is the weakest ever and that all these crazy stats that players are putting up is just an inflated joke.

Manny98
07-13-2021, 09:12 AM
When people talk about this era being better you realize they're reffering to talent worldwide not just the USA?

Before the talent outside the US was terrible but today you have teams like Australia that are full of top quality players than can hang with the best of the USA

Before the USA could bring their C team and run over everyone with ease but nowadays the Rest of the World has stepped up massively so it's not the case anymore

Look at the last 3 league MVPs, all guys that are not from the US

8Ball
07-13-2021, 09:17 AM
Against Australia at that. Clearly the nba soft rules has allowed for the increased scoring and stats. It has nothing to do with players being more advanced. This isn't even a question anymore. Guys are having to work way harder to get quality looks in international play compared to the nba where a basic screen or pic and roll can't be defended. All the b.s flopping and foul baiting isn't being rewarded either. Players are shooting less than half of free throws they shoot in the nba.

Must hurt for proponents of this era to finally realize this era's nba is the weakest ever and that all these crazy stats that players are putting up is just an inflated joke.

Weakest ever? Stfu you crybaby.

There is more global competition than ever before.

Luka, Jokic, Giannis are MVP candidates that are more skilled than anything you saw in the 90s and they aren't from the USA.

Proponents of the 90s are truly low IQ.

rmt
07-13-2021, 09:24 AM

Luka, Jokic, Giannis are MVP candidates that are more skilled than anything you saw in the 90s and they aren't from the USA.

Surely you jest. Never thought I'd see those words together in a sentence - especially when compared to the 90s.

1989–90 Magic Johnson
1990–91 Michael Jordan
1991–92 Michael Jordan
1992–93 Charles Barkley
1993–94 Hakeem Olajuwon
1994–95 David Robinson
1995–96 Michael Jordan
1996–97 Karl Malone
1997–98 Michael Jordan
1998–99 Karl Malone

Manny98
07-13-2021, 09:29 AM
Surely you jest. Never thought I'd see those words together in a sentence - especially when compared to the 90s.

1989–90 Magic Johnson
1990–91 Michael Jordan
1991–92 Michael Jordan
1992–93 Charles Barkley
1993–94 Hakeem Olajuwon
1994–95 David Robinson
1995–96 Michael Jordan
1996–97 Karl Malone
1997–98 Michael Jordan
1998–99 Karl Malone
Outside of Hakeem, all American born talent which proves that the overall pool of talent was a lot smaller back then compared to today.

Micku
07-13-2021, 09:39 AM
Outside of Hakeem, all American born talent which proves that the overall pool of talent was a lot smaller back then compared to today.

This is true. Foreign talent has improved over the decades.

But it still doesn't excuse the lost tho. If you set them up as a nba team, the usa talent still has so much more talent than both of the teams that they lost to. USA offense looked pretty bad with the lack of movement. They are losing to superior team play.

It definitely something with the rules as well since international allow more physical it seems. But they still should not have lose.

rmt
07-13-2021, 09:45 AM

Imho, it's not that the overseas talent is bigger today, it's that technology/internet has made this a much smaller world. Technology has made it EASIER to find talent - just as American Idol discovers talent and authors can post on the internet and develop a following (Fifty Shades of Grey) without publishers, so too has finding basketball talent abroad become easier with the ability to "see" anyone around the world.

And yes, the reverse is true too. Internet/cable/satellite exposes more people to basketball, more people play/imitate.

Bronbron23
07-13-2021, 10:28 AM

U the bitch crying i'm just asking a question that clearly has u triggered.

And i didn't see luka, jokic and greek on Nigeria or Australia. Real quick tell me who was on the Nigeria team:facepalm

Bronbron23
07-13-2021, 10:34 AM
When people talk about this era being better you realize they're reffering to talent worldwide not just the USA?

Before the talent outside the US was terrible but today you have teams like Australia that are full of top quality players than can hang with the best of the USA

Before the USA could bring their C team and run over everyone with ease but nowadays the Rest of the World has stepped up massively so it's not the case anymore

Look at the last 3 league MVPs, all guys that are not from the US

That dosn't explain why they can't score more than 90's points against Nigeria or Australia. It's not like they're playing against the better international players. They're mostly plaing against international players that either aren't in the nba or are in the nba but aren't stars. Even still these guys and the teams they're on have no problem scoring 115-125 pts un the nba so why can't they score more than 85 with an all star team un international play?

Bronbron23
07-13-2021, 10:41 AM

And imagine thinking luka, jokic and especially greek are more skilled than hakeem. Throw them in the slower 90's and they're all still great but all their numbers drop and hakeem is better than all three

ralph_i_el
07-13-2021, 11:00 AM
NBA rules are soft, but most of these teams we are playing against are led by NBA guys. The worldwide talent level is so much higher than it was 30 years ago. An entire generation of great ballers has grown up in the aftermath of the Dream Team.

ralph_i_el
07-13-2021, 11:01 AM
And imagine thinking luka, jokic and especially greek are more skilled than hakeem. Throw them in the slower 90's and they're all still great but all their numbers drop and hakeem is better than all three

I'd take Hakeem over all those guys, but more skilled than Luka and Jokic? Nah. They use skill to make up for average athleticism. He fused great skill with great athleticism.

RogueBorg
07-13-2021, 11:10 AM

And i didn't see luka, jokic and greek on Nigeria or Australia. Real quick tell me who was on the Nigeria team:facepalm

8ball doesn't watch basketball. He'll have to Google the answer

RogueBorg
07-13-2021, 11:14 AM
When a player who everone agrees is a hack can average a triple for not one season, not two seasons, but over three seasons, it tells you how all these numbers that Luka, Jokic and the like are inflated. Shaq would bitch slap Jokic right to the bench in foul trouble.

8Ball
07-13-2021, 11:32 AM

1989–90 Magic Johnson
1990–91 Michael Jordan
1991–92 Michael Jordan
1992–93 Charles Barkley
1993–94 Hakeem Olajuwon
1994–95 David Robinson
1995–96 Michael Jordan
1996–97 Karl Malone
1997–98 Michael Jordan
1998–99 Karl Malone

None of these guys from 1991+ onwards having any passing ability.

Luka and Jokic are more skilled than everyone on your list, even more skilled than Magic because they can shoot 3s.

8Ball
07-13-2021, 11:33 AM

Luka and Jokic are more skilled than Hakeem.

Passing the basketball = a skill.

8Ball
07-13-2021, 11:34 AM

You the one that made this thread crying about American team having to face the highest level of competition globally than before.

Bronbron23
07-13-2021, 12:05 PM
I'd take Hakeem over all those guys, but more skilled than Luka and Jokic? Nah. They use skill to make up for average athleticism. He fused great skill with great athleticism.

Maybe not more skilled but he's definitely as skilled at worst. It's just different skills. Threes are popular so people think better threes means more skilled but that's not necessarily true. Hakeem was as skilled as tgey come on the block. He's way more skilled than any of those guys in the paint. They're just more skilled on the perimeter. Neither is better It's just different

j3lademaster
07-13-2021, 12:06 PM
NBA rules are soft, but most of these teams we are playing against are led by NBA guys. The worldwide talent level is so much higher than it was 30 years ago. An entire generation of great ballers has grown up in the aftermath of the Dream Team.yup. You can’t just show up with a sense of entitlement, not putting in full effort on 50/50 balls, iso all day and expect to win anymore

FKAri
07-13-2021, 12:07 PM
Everyone knows offensive stats are inflated. What does that have to do with how good or bad the era or its players are?

Bronbron23
07-13-2021, 12:09 PM
Luka and Jokic are more skilled than Hakeem.

Passing the basketball = a skill.

So is rebounding and defense buddy. So scoring is a wash and they're better at passing whike hakeem is better at reb and defense. Then if u want to break it down to skills when it comes to scoring its a wash again because hakeem is more skilled in the paint and they're more skilled on the perimeter. At best it's even. Your just making the mistake thinking better threes is more skilled but that's not true

FKAri
07-13-2021, 12:14 PM
So is rebounding and defense buddy. So scoring is a wash and they're better at passing whike hakeem is better at reb and defense. Then if u want to break it down to skills when it comes to scoring its a wash again because hakeem is more skilled in the paint and they're more skilled on the perimeter. At best it's even. Your just making the mistake thinking better threes is more skilled but that's not true

Conversely defense was EASY in the 90s. So defenders from that era had "inflated" stats. Hence, Hakeem, MJ, Pippen etc are overrated defenders. See this dumb logic goes both ways.

j3lademaster
07-13-2021, 12:17 PM
The larger talent pool created a wider selection of better roleplayers. Kiki wanderweghe and Drazen Petrovic were stars back then and would be stars today. Arvydas Sabonis gave Shaq trouble in the playoffs. Old, postinjury Sabonis. A 7’2 300 lbs’er who can pass and shoot the 3. Prime Sabonis would dwarf Jokic while being just as skilled.

j3lademaster
07-13-2021, 12:19 PM
Conversely defense was EASY in the 90s. So defenders from that era had "inflated" stats. Hence, Hakeem, MJ, Pippen etc are overrated defenders. See this dumb logic goes both ways.yup. We won’t ever see 4 blocks per game again with players looking for the 3 or fishing for fouls.

FKAri
07-13-2021, 12:23 PM
The larger talent pool created a wider selection of better roleplayers. Kiki wanderweghe and Drazen Petrovic were stars back then and would be stars today. Arvydas Sabonis gave Shaq trouble in the playoffs. Old, postinjury Sabonis. A 7’2 300 lbs’er who can pass and shoot the 3. Prime Sabonis would dwarf Jokic while being just as skilled.

It created a wider selection of better players at each level but of course the top level is so rare that it's mostly random. I think the guard positions have become much more stacked because a big man would always be pushed towards basketball, anywhere basketball was being played. But the increase in basketball's popularity means a lot more 6'5'' and under guys internationally are playing ball now too. PG was always the most stacked position for talent but it's become ridiculous the last couple decades.

ralph_i_el
07-13-2021, 12:33 PM
If your mom saw the dream team on TV, then went out on the town and found the tallest dude to ****, and got pregnant, you would be like 28 years old right now. Entering your prime. This is the first Olympics the post dream team babies are entering their primes.