PDA

View Full Version : Just how bad of a dribbler was Stockton?

Vino24
07-15-2021, 07:36 PM
I hear stories about him not being able to go left. Just how bad was it? :biggums:

3ba11
07-15-2021, 07:48 PM
The videotape shows him going left quite well, and quite deceptively in a very sophisticated and skilled way with the ball - point GOD

bullettooth
07-15-2021, 07:49 PM
One of the greatest point guards ever... and kids think he couldnt go left?

1987_Lakers
07-15-2021, 07:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQq_miApSzs

Vino24
07-15-2021, 08:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQq_miApSzs

Great clip! Love this part: "they give guards so much space, its nuts, its like there's just understanding*, as long as i dont press you, you dont attack me"

warriorfan
07-15-2021, 08:02 PM
Oh ok. So small guards have an easier time in 2021.

Sounds legit.

Vino24
07-15-2021, 08:05 PM
Oh ok. So small guards have an easier time in 2021.

Sounds legit.

I don’t think easier. The fact is a player like Stockton would get exposed on every possession with this shortcoming in today’s league

3ba11
07-15-2021, 08:05 PM
Here's Stockton doing something Iverson couldn't do - beating Jordan to the hoop with crossovers both directions and finishing at the rim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luoDYWqY3I0&t=01m25s

MadDog
07-15-2021, 08:12 PM
Here's Stockton doing something Iverson couldn't do - beating Jordan to the hoop with crossovers both directions and finishing at the rim:

Literally going left in more than half that vid. :oldlol: The clown in that "revelation" video sounds like a *****, and probably never hooped.

warriorfan
07-15-2021, 08:21 PM
I don’t think easier. The fact is a player like Stockton would get exposed on every possession with this shortcoming in today’s league

Pass the weed bro.

iamgine
07-15-2021, 08:22 PM
All you need to do is just watch a Jazz game. Here's a random game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHkjKumIxM0

In short, he could go left just fine like any other NBA players.

hiphopanonymous
07-15-2021, 08:45 PM
Stockton indeed favored his right.

Most people when they say "he can't go left" in basketball are just talking trash about guys who favor their dominant hand but anyone with half a brain cell wouldn't challenge guys like Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, or John Stockton one on one or 5 on 5 with trash talk like that if they actually had to play against those kinds of players.

They would dismantle you. They would dismantle any player that never made it as a pro. They have counters for going left, Jerry West had a great in and out dribble move to reset himself back right and/or actually his pullup going left was money and I'd imagine Stockton had an array of his own counters as well.

They used to say about Lenny Wilkins (who was a lefty) "you knew he was going left but you still couldn't stop him".

Most amateur ballers will pat themselves on the back for their ambidexterity if they ever develop it. They'll pretend like they or their favorite players that aren't these guys have got some sort of upper hand on these dominant hand favoring pro's but the joke is on them. These guys are HOFers. Many HOFers favored one hand and routinely gave the ambidextrous players more fits than the other way around that's how they got into the HOF and the text book ambidextrous guys didn't.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-15-2021, 08:50 PM
He was the anti Kawhi.

Play every game in regular season, underperform in the playoffs.

Gudo
07-15-2021, 09:01 PM
Lol. The agenda is written all over this thread right from the outset.

RogueBorg
07-15-2021, 09:02 PM
I hear stories about him not being able to go left. Just how bad was it? :biggums:

He was better going left than Chris Paul is.

SouBeachTalents
07-15-2021, 09:04 PM
He was the anti Kawhi.

Play every game in regular season, underperform in the playoffs.
At least he played in the playoffs

coastalmarker99
07-15-2021, 09:06 PM

:lol:bowdown:

And1AllDay
07-15-2021, 09:07 PM
imagine jj reddick leading the 90s in assists and part of a utah jazz 'big 2' :oldlol:

jj reddick was mikes best ring :roll:

And1AllDay
07-15-2021, 09:07 PM

sh1t

:roll::oldlol:

Gohan
07-15-2021, 09:39 PM

Stop bringing up iverson or im reporting you. You’re disrespecting a top 10 player of all time

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2021, 10:42 PM
He'd make incredible one hand passes off of his dribble

Joey Turnbuckle
07-15-2021, 10:48 PM
John Stockton
Reggie Miller
Ron Artest
Al Harrington
Jermaine O'neal

Would win back to back titles, last year and this year. If you replace Artest/Harrington with two of Shawn Marion, AK47 or Rashard Lewis, they might break the record for wins in a season.

And1AllDay
07-15-2021, 11:17 PM
John Stockton
Reggie Miller
Ron Artest
Al Harrington
Jermaine O'neal

Would win back to back titles, last year and this year. If you replace Artest/Harrington with two of Shawn Marion, AK47 or Rashard Lewis, they might break the record for wins in a season.

i cant tell if your sober or still drunk

72-10
07-15-2021, 11:58 PM
I'm surprised you'd harp on what you perceive to be Stockton's dribbling deficiencies when he's revered by many as thet master of the half-court set offense as far as point guards go, you're right though he couldn't dribble hard left as only 14 players have been able to do i.e. Bird could shoot with his left, but he couldn't dribble hard left, but you'd expect them to be all-world point guards some of the players who could dribble hard left Jerry West Michael Jordan Isiah Thomas

HBK_Kliq_2
07-16-2021, 02:03 AM

Kawhi doesn't play but at his age has more playoff career vorp then Duncan/shaq did at the same ages. So what does that say about Duncan and shaq?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ws_career_p.html

As far as car dealership salesman johnny stockton? He played 1608 more minutes and still has less career playoff win shares!

Hahahaha kawhi is running laps around Stockton. 1608 in minutes of laps. Keep up.

Kawhi also has two finals MVPS and was able to beat curry/LeBron. That's despite never playing with anybody as good as 1997/1998 Karl Malone.

Sucks kawhi has to spot him 1600+ minutes and he still can't beat him win shares.

Axe
07-16-2021, 02:34 AM
Stop bringing up iverson or im reporting you. You’re disrespecting a top 10 player of all time
Yes, he really needs a probation on his new dup.

Genaro
07-16-2021, 02:51 AM
I do think that sometimes Stockton gets a little overrated, but let's not act like he was some kind of 90's Caruso. The man could play. No one gets the kind of numbers he got for so many years being a scrub.

90sgoat
07-16-2021, 06:53 AM
I do think that sometimes Stockton gets a little overrated, but let's not act like he was some kind of 90's Caruso. The man could play. No one gets the kind of numbers he got for so many years being a scrub.

I don't see how Stockton gets overrated?

He leads the all time NBA list in assists and steals and though he had Karl Malone as a teammate the entire time, the rest of his teammates weren't great.

Stockton was also tough, like legit scrappy.

Much more CP3 than Steve Nash.

Kblaze8855
07-16-2021, 08:40 AM
Funny to me the guy talks about not pressuring guards as if like a third of the league didn’t pressure you full court at times. Payton, Muggsy, Mookie Blaylock, Lindsay Hunter, Derek Harper, Mo Cheeks, Jordan/Pippen now and then, Nate Mcmillian….whoever Rick Pitino was coaching at the time. There were a lot of full court press guys who would defend the inbounds after a made basket then shadow you 94 feet. Maybe not all game every game but they would do it a lot more than guards do now. Muggsy literally turned some big points into two guards with his annoying press.

ImKobe
07-16-2021, 09:06 AM
You don't have the kind of AST-TO ratio Stockton did without being able to handle the ball with defenders picking you up 94 ft and hand-checking you the entire way.

Jasper
07-16-2021, 10:39 AM

bull shet

Stockton set up Malone more on the left blocks than right...
Stockton had exceptional handles ... all the years I probably saw him picked once or twice...probably from a double team.

TheMan
07-16-2021, 11:40 AM
Not surprised morons who never watched Stockton play are throwing shade at him. Dude had handles and obviously he could go left :facepalm

ralph_i_el
07-16-2021, 11:54 AM
I play with a lefty who only goes left 95% of the time. He'll beat you a few times going that way, then as soon as you start playing him hard on his left side, he'll glide in for an easy right handed finger roll. Then you go back to playing him normal, and he goes back to cooking you with his left.

tpols
07-16-2021, 11:58 AM
Not surprised morons who never watched Stockton play are throwing shade at him. Dude had handles and obviously he could go left :facepalm

He could but you see it all the time he would be dribbling with his right hand on the left side of the court even face up. People talk about all this pressure back then. Jrue Holiday been in guys shirts even harder this playoffs. Full court. They sagged back then when the half court play settled. Its on film. The problem with today is there's too many floppers and they heavily reward them. WWE.

MadDog
07-16-2021, 12:44 PM
He could but you see it all the time he would be dribbling with his right hand on the left side of the court even face up. People talk about all this pressure back then. Jrue Holiday been in guys shirts even harder this playoffs. Full court. They sagged back then when the half court play settled. Its on film. The problem with today is there's too many floppers and they heavily reward them. WWE.

No he hasn't, and no they didn't. Who you sag on or pickup depends on the players skill. Today refs let more shit go in the playoffs, but without handchecking and with freedom of movement, the bold is impractical. Nowadays you aren't allowed to fight through screens. Not without being called for a foul.

Overdrive
07-16-2021, 12:53 PM

Why should he dribble with his left on the left side and his right on the right? It all depends on the block setup feed someone on the highpost from the left hand on the left courtside will result in a shitty pass.

hiphopanonymous
07-16-2021, 12:58 PM
Why should he dribble with his left on the left side and his right on the right? It all depends on the block setup feed someone on the highpost from the left hand on the left courtside will result in a shitty pass.
Not to mention if he's slashed a few times and picked the defense apart by blowing by the defender for getting too close the defender is going to hang back. If Stock knows this and the defender is giving him space - why not dribble with whatever hand you want a bit more relaxed. What's the consequence? Nothing. People love to act like every defender is a lock down pocket picker as soon as they see you dribble with the wrong hand.

No, a good offensive player has done a few things to make the defense have to play you a certain way and good ball handlers don't lose the ball - regardless of the hand they use. Stock didn't lose the ball often and ran the offense. He knew exactly what he was doing. Unlike the armchair experts.

tpols
07-16-2021, 01:12 PM
No he hasn't, and no they didn't. Who you sag on or pickup depends on the players skill. Today refs let more shit go in the playoffs, but without handchecking and with freedom of movement, the bold is impractical. Nowadays you aren't allowed to fight through screens. Not without being called for a foul.

"Depends on the players skill".

Exactly.

Stockton was known as a super skilled player yet they left him open all day long from 3pt range. You could see the defender is always sagged, not in his shirt. Probably worried about Malone coming and nailing him and also knowing a 10-15 ppg dribbler can't ice them from deep.

Dame and Curry would look like alien technology back then. They have an even more elaborate handle, and can J from 30 no sweat. Especially wide open.

hiphopanonymous
07-16-2021, 01:22 PM

Exactly.

Stockton was known as a super skilled player yet they left him open all day long from 3pt range. You could see the defender is always sagged, not in his shirt. Probably worried about Malone coming and nailing him and also knowing a 10-15 ppg dribbler can't ice them from deep.

Dame and Curry would look like alien technology back then. They have an even more elaborate handle, and can J from 30 no sweat. Especially wide open.
Correct me if you think I'm wrong but their 'more elaborate handle' .... is due to extended gather steps and greater freedom to carry. And due to lack of contact while they dribble, and lack of defenders fighting through their *modern moving* screens.

Or am I wrong about that?

tpols
07-16-2021, 01:31 PM
Correct me if you think I'm wrong but their 'more elaborate handle' .... is due to extended gather steps and greater freedom to carry. And due to lack of contact while they dribble, and lack of defenders fighting through their *modern moving* screens.

Or am I wrong about that?

Not at all. There definitely are stars that abuse those rules ~ namely KD and Giannis and Harden, but Curry and Dame have legal sophisticated handles. Curry in particular could score more than Stockton without even dribbling. Just running complicated off the ball routes and taking that high arcing deep shot with 2-3 guys hurling themselves at him. If he had Stockton treatment? Forget about it.

Xiao Yao You
07-16-2021, 01:32 PM

Exactly.

Wasn't that he couldn't ice them. He was just unselfish to the point where he would rather pass unfortunately

MadDog
07-16-2021, 01:37 PM

Exactly.

Or worried about the ALL TIME assist leader.....finding Malone for an easy bucket. Stockton could shoot lights out. The "cant shoot from deep" stuff doesn't make sense. Stockton was a great 3PT shooter. With multiple years shooting over 40%. Back then, Curry and Dame wouldn't get the free screens where defenders cant touch you. Sure they would still score, and would obviously be great. Just nowhere as efficient. Rules have made it easier for perimeter players to score, just like it says it the mandate.

Shogon
07-16-2021, 01:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJCwyh0fDGw

j3lademaster
07-16-2021, 01:42 PM

Or am I wrong about that?Agree with everything

tpols
07-16-2021, 01:53 PM
Or worried about the ALL TIME assist leader.....finding Malone for an easy bucket. Stockton could shoot lights out. The "cant shoot from deep" stuff doesn't make sense. Stockton was a great 3PT shooter. With multiple years shooting over 40%. Back then, Curry and Dame wouldn't get the free screens where defenders cant touch you. Sure they would still score, and would obviously be great. Just nowhere as efficient. Rules have made it easier for perimeter players to score, just like it says it the mandate.

I didn't want to break out the gifs but...

https://64.media.tumblr.com/f404443bb56c24e6d81b98f2f7b387ae/tumblr_pwlgvmNefk1sdydefo1_400.gifv

What purpose does it serve to sag off a guy that hard? That's not pressure defense. THIS is pressure defense.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/78/6d/e4/786de4fc5b231bf6608412cc86b6ab68.gif

Notice the lack of handchecking. :oldlol:

2ball
07-16-2021, 01:54 PM

https://64.media.tumblr.com/f404443bb56c24e6d81b98f2f7b387ae/tumblr_pwlgvmNefk1sdydefo1_400.gifv

What purpose does it serve to sag off a guy that hard? That's not pressure defense. THIS is pressure defense.

Bingo! The myth that defenses were tough in the 90’s is because offenses were so bad

MadDog
07-16-2021, 02:02 PM

Damn! Those cherry-picked gifs are strong.

https://i.postimg.cc/YSw-rp0rX/4243232.gif

Here's Curry being defended at an arm's length. Just like Stockton was. Why the hell is he always sagged off? Derp.

MadDog
07-16-2021, 02:06 PM
https://i.gifer.com/O3hx.gif

GOAT three-point shooter.....Why is nobody in his jersey? :confusedshrug:

tpols
07-16-2021, 02:26 PM
Damn! Those cherry-picked gifs are strong.

https://i.postimg.cc/YSw-rp0rX/4243232.gif

Here's Curry being defended at an arm's length. Just like Stockton was. Why the hell is he always sagged off? Derp.

:roll:

In YOUR "cherrypicked" gif it shows Currys defender with his feet outside the 3pt line swiping at the ball. Stockton defender was 4 feet off him inside the line. That's a joke to Curry. Guy would get demoted to the minors for doing that vs him. :lol

MadDog
07-16-2021, 02:34 PM

In YOUR "cherrypicked" gif it shows Currys defender with his feet outside the 3pt line swiping at the ball. Stockton defender was 4 feet off him inside the line. That's a joke to Curry. Guy would get demoted to the minors for doing that vs him. :lol

That's cap. Dont pretend you don't think Curry's picked up when he crosses half court. :oldlol: And in the second gif he's right behind the line. Nobody in his jersey. What's your excuse there? Chris Paul had to tie his shoe?

tpols
07-16-2021, 02:35 PM
https://i.gifer.com/O3hx.gif

GOAT three-point shooter.....Why is nobody in his jersey? :confusedshrug:

:biggums:

In that gif he had two guys fly at him from 25+ feet. Desperately hurling themselves. Shit is hilarious. Even if we give you free reign to search the internet the best examples you can give are two instances where MULTIPLE defenders are throwing themselves at the guy a mile away from the hoop.

Can't make it up lol

MadDog
07-16-2021, 02:45 PM
:biggums:

In that gif he had two guys fly at him from 25+ feet. Desperately hurling themselves. Shit is hilarious. Even if we give you free reign to search the internet the best examples you can give are two instances where MULTIPLE defenders are throwing themselves at the guy a mile away from the hoop.

Can't make it up lol

Instead of being in his jersey, why was Chris Paul flying at the GOAT 3-pointer? :confusedshrug: Far as the gifs go, I literally typed in "Steph Curry 3" into google. Those came up. I'm sure he's got a stockpile of them. And ones you'll keep making excuses for.

rawimpact
07-16-2021, 02:47 PM
lol PGs didnt have the benefit of high pick and rolls like they do now. Even league best dribblers today rely on them.

Hell, Lebron has more turnovers than stockton

j3lademaster
07-16-2021, 02:50 PM
Instead of being in his jersey, why was Chris Paul flying at the GOAT 3-pointer? :confusedshrug: Far as the gifs go, I literally typed in "Steph Curry 3" into google. Those came up. I'm sure he's got a stockpile of them. And ones you'll keep making excuses for.No one in NBA history garners as much defensive attention as Steph Curry. Teams are so tunnel-visioned on him they accidentally find themselves quadruple teaming him as he passes halfcourt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Y1oUPi6pg

Mr. Woke
07-17-2021, 01:10 AM
Stockton is one of the most overrated players in NBA history.

And no. He is not better than Nash, CP3, or Isiah Thomas.

Gohan
07-17-2021, 12:22 PM

Or iverson

97 bulls
07-17-2021, 01:21 PM

I think you're missing the point. They're running at him which means they weren't "in his shirt" like Paul was. Again, they weren't playing him tight to begin with. Which is why they had to lunge at him.

97 bulls
07-17-2021, 01:23 PM

How do you define better?

tpols
07-17-2021, 01:57 PM
I think you're missing the point. They're running at him which means they weren't "in his shirt" like Paul was. Again, they weren't playing him tight to begin with. Which is why they had to lunge at him.

What? He was off ball. Chris Paul jumped enough that if curry didn't pump fake he wouldve been swatted. That's perfect defense. If your man doesn't have the ball you should be in a perfect midrange position of being able to alter his shot if he catches it, and also be in a position to help on who has the ball. Do you basketball bro?

warriorfan
07-17-2021, 02:06 PM
No one in NBA history garners as much defensive attention as Steph Curry. Teams are so tunnel-visioned on him they accidentally find themselves quadruple teaming him as he passes halfcourt.

1987_Lakers
07-17-2021, 02:08 PM
No one in NBA history garners as much defensive attention as Steph Curry. Teams are so tunnel-visioned on him they accidentally find themselves quadruple teaming him as he passes halfcourt.

Curry takes a massive shit on Stockton, it shouldn't even be a debate.

Overdrive
07-17-2021, 02:16 PM
What? He was off ball. Chris Paul jumped enough that if curry didn't pump fake he wouldve been swatted. That's perfect defense. If your man doesn't have the ball you should be in a perfect midrange position of being able to alter his shot if he catches it, and also be in a position to help on who has the ball. Do you basketball bro?

No you don't do that on the top of the ark. You do that on the weak side when your man has little chance to directly receive the ball. Jumping into a (perceived) jumpshot means you're late on defense.

ninjaseal
07-17-2021, 03:36 PM
jealous kids mad that they will never break his records , EVER

ninjaseal
07-18-2021, 12:01 AM
A guy with no left holds all the records ,lol damn these new guys like cp3 and booker have 0 iq , i rather have no left then 0 iq

Iverson3
07-18-2021, 09:16 AM
A guy with no left holds all the records ,lol damn these new guys like cp3 and booker have 0 iq , i rather have no left then 0 iq
I remembered Iverson dropping 45 points on Stockton and Malone in 2001.

ninjaseal
07-18-2021, 09:57 AM
i remember stockton holding all of the assists and steals records of ALL TIME

ninjaseal
07-18-2021, 09:59 AM
I remembered Iverson dropping 45 points on Stockton and Malone in 2001.

this is an example of todays IQ when it comes to basketball, STOCKTON WAS 40 YEARS OLD , THATS WHY JOKIC GOT MVP ,, IQ BALL FROM EURO

ninjaseal
07-18-2021, 10:01 AM
Theoretically , dribbling the ball isnt important..... This post is an example of todays bball iq , dude is talking about dribbling lol kinda like booker today , dribbling into a tripple team , so booker is a better dribbler then stockton too right

72-10
07-18-2021, 08:40 PM

I notice you don't know basketball. Curry Discontinue Dribbled (aka Carrying) to gain the advantage on his first step with penetration, and Stockton did not

72-10
07-18-2021, 08:42 PM
Curry takes a massive shit on Stockton, it shouldn't even be a debate.

Stockton is the better passer, defender and rebounder. You're a moron.

72-10
07-22-2021, 12:23 AM
Kirk Hinrich is about as good of dribbler as Stockton, and good defender... never got the credit.

moongaze
07-22-2021, 10:50 AM
Tony Parker is one of the best finishers of all time but I rarely if ever remember him finishing with his left hand. Pretty right hand dominant dribbling too