PDA

View Full Version : Where does Giannis rank all time after a ring?

Code Breaker
07-18-2021, 09:45 AM
1 Ring
1 FMVP
2 MVPs
1 NBA Defensive Player of the Year

All this at only 26.

basketballcat
07-18-2021, 09:50 AM
Since he'd get a Finals MVP along with a DPOY, he's inside the top 50. Since he didn't face a full Nets squad and Clippers/Lakers, this is a weak ring. Middleton also carried the Bucks to 1 finals win, so this ring wouldn't rank high on "alpha-ness". So he can't be top 30. 31 to 50.

ArbitraryWater
07-18-2021, 09:51 AM
Top 20.

Above David Robinson.

Code Breaker
07-18-2021, 10:06 AM
I say at least top 30 with a lot of room to grow.

And1AllDay
07-18-2021, 10:15 AM
I say at least top 30 with a lot of room to grow.

def top 25, no one has that resume beat by 26. shiiiid and most dont have it beat by 36

8Ball
07-18-2021, 10:20 AM
Top 20.

Higher than Wade.

Higher than Garnett.

Where Dirk is, but he can surpass Dirk.

DMAVS41
07-18-2021, 10:23 AM
Pretty high up there.

He'd cap off a 29/13/5 playoff run with a FMVP while doing 32/13/6 63% TS in the Finals.

His level combined with that resume would put him in the top 20 ever pretty easily assuming he has an expected career arc in terms of longevity.

DMAVS41
07-18-2021, 10:25 AM
Top 20.

Higher than Wade.

Higher than Garnett.

Where Dirk is, but he can surpass Dirk.

He could go way higher than Dirk. At 26 to have accomplished all this...top 10 all-time is for the taking. People can say it is ugly and complain he's "not good at basketball"...but he's basically just a different version of Shaq and he seems to only be getting better.

red1
07-18-2021, 10:26 AM
above chris paul

where ya at hamtaro

j3lademaster
07-18-2021, 10:58 AM
He could go way higher than Dirk. At 26 to have accomplished all this...top 10 all-time is for the taking. People can say it is ugly and complain he's "not good at basketball"...but he's basically just a different version of Shaq and he seems to only be getting better.I still think that, but I also think what matters at the end of the day is actual impact on the floor. Jose Calderon is one of the most fundamentally sound basketball players I've ever seen and is better than Shaq, Giannis and you can argue a ton of top 20 players in just pure basketball skills. Not a fan of Shaq either, and his career as a commentator is NOT helping.

DMAVS41
07-18-2021, 11:21 AM
I still think that, but I also think what matters at the end of the day is actual impact on the floor. Jose Calderon is one of the most fundamentally sound basketball players I've ever seen and is better than Shaq, Giannis and you can argue a ton of top 20 players in just pure basketball skills. Not a fan of Shaq either, and his career as a commentator is NOT helping.

Right, the impact is what matters.

People can keep saying whatever they want...if he wins and continues to play at this level...he'll have done stuff all these supposed better basketball players never did.

Kblaze8855
07-18-2021, 11:23 AM
Guess it depends….the rankings are so hard to predict. Where do you put guys like Moses, Reed, and Cowens who all have 1-3 mvps and rings? Is Giannis with 2 mvps and a ring over Moses with 3 and 1? How about Reed and Cowens with 1 mvp but two rings? You never even hear about those 3 which is why it’s hard to say it’s a question of resume. We just….decide some people don’t count. Like Petitt or Wade. Hell Curry too. 2 mvps and 3 rings? That’s a top 10-15ish career.

Hard to say what decides it really. It clearly isn’t straight resume. He could go up there with the Dirks or end up nearer the 30 range depending on who you’re talking to. Ive just about given up on long lists.

I know who id want matchup to matchup. Easier that way.

Bronbron23
07-18-2021, 11:26 AM
Right, the impact is what matters.

People can keep saying whatever they want...if he wins and continues to play at this level...he'll have done stuff all these supposed better basketball players never did.

Yeah i think greek still gets underrated because his game is kind of ugly and he's not crazy skilled offensively. At the end of the day though all that matters is w. Plus Kareem and shaq had ugly games and it didn't stop them from being atg players.

DMAVS41
07-18-2021, 11:31 AM
Guess it depends….the rankings are so hard to predict. Where do you put guys like Moses, Reed, and Cowens who all have 1-3 mvps and rings? Is Giannis with 2 mvps and a ring over Moses with 3 and 1? How about Reed and Cowens with 1 mvp but two rings? You never even hear about those 3 which is why it’s hard to say it’s a question of resume. We just….decide some people don’t count. Like Petitt or Wade. Hell Curry too. 2 mvps and 3 rings? That’s a top 10-15ish career.

Hard to say what decides it really. It clearly isn’t straight resume. He could go up there with the Dirks or end up nearer the 30 range depending on who you’re talking to. Ive just about given up on long lists.

I know who id want matchup to matchup. Easier that way.

Moses, Pettit, and Wade are usually on every list that I've seen with the top 30 or so. Reed and Cowens are usually right at that 30 mark you reference.

I think top 30 range for Giannis if he wins playing this great is fair, but I would personally put him higher because I think he's better than he gets credit for.

HunterSThompson
07-18-2021, 11:33 AM
I think this ring is by far the hardest one ever since we're still dealing with the pandemic and weird schedules but there's actual fans at the games unlike Disney world basketball camp last year. and imagine having to play with an entire row of infectious strangers coughing all over the court. kind of distracting IMO.. the sun's were a big 3 all time dominant team that took out king James at his peak. so giannis basically took out Durant and LeKing in the same year. and he also coached the bucks to a series win vs Atlanta. he's basically Bill Russell but with wilt Chamberlain numbers

top 5 all time easily with this chip

HunterSThompson
07-18-2021, 11:36 AM
I would say he bumps chuckbe out of the top 10 but he's 12th already so instead I think he bumps jordone

Bronbron23
07-18-2021, 11:36 AM
I think this ring is by far the hardest one ever since we're still dealing with the pandemic and weird schedules but there's actual fans at the games unlike Disney world basketball camp last year. and imagine having to play with an entire row of infectious strangers coughing all over the court. kind of distracting IMO.. the sun's were a big 3 all time dominant team that took out king James at his peak. so giannis basically took out Durant and LeKing in the same year. and he also coached the bucks to a series win vs Atlanta. he's basically Bill Russell but with wilt Chamberlain numbers

Come on man. Hardest one ever? This is the kind of delusional shit that makes people hate on a great player like greek. Don't do that

j3lademaster
07-18-2021, 11:41 AM
Yeah i think greek still gets underrated because his game is kind of ugly and he's not crazy skilled offensively. At the end of the day though all that matters is w. Plus Kareem and shaq had ugly games and it didn't stop them from being atg players.I don't know if he gets underrated. He has 2 mvp's which is basically a popularity contest among the top players with diminishing returns in the form of voter fatigue. I'll be the first to say I really dislike his game, but I still have him top 3. I had my doubts about him coming into the playoffs, guess I'm a 'hater'. But now there's new evidence suggesting he's actually an all-time level finals performer, so I change my mind based on new evidence so I don't know who's out there underrating this guy.

And me not liking Giannis's game is totally subjective. I will never argue how good of a player he is based on that

HunterSThompson
07-18-2021, 11:44 AM
Come on man. Hardest one ever? This is the kind of delusional shit that makes people hate on a great player like greek. Don't do that

they can hate all they want. that just fuels the Greek Kang

And1AllDay
07-18-2021, 11:49 AM

its a kenny griff alt...2 ez to spot

Bronbron23
07-18-2021, 12:18 PM
I don't know if he gets underrated. He has 2 mvp's which is basically a popularity contest among the top players with diminishing returns in the form of voter fatigue. I'll be the first to say I really dislike his game, but I still have him top 3. I had my doubts about him coming into the playoffs, guess I'm a 'hater'. But now there's new evidence suggesting he's actually an all-time level finals performer, so I change my mind based on new evidence so I don't know who's out there underrating this guy.

And me not liking Giannis's game is totally subjective. I will never argue how good of a player he is based on that

I don't know. he's doing some atg shit but alot of people probably didn't even have him as a top 5 player this year. He's gonna go down as one of the games greatest player ever and very few people are looking at him like that.

ImKobe
07-18-2021, 12:21 PM
Top 25.

Naero
07-18-2021, 12:58 PM
I don't know. he's doing some atg shit but alot of people probably didn't even have him as a top 5 player this year. He's gonna go down as one of the games greatest player ever and very few people are looking at him like that.

That’s mainly because of his prior postseason flameouts, which they can no longer hold against him in light of this run. Now that Giannis has exorcised his playoffs demons—which he’ll hopefully cap off with a Finals MVP soon—you’d be hard-pressed to rank him out of the current top five.

As for OP…

Assuming we close out this series, I’d peg him around the top twenty-five at most for now. He’d also have enough upside to crack the top fifteen with just added longevity.

While he’ll have won every enviable accolade already, we need to remember he was a late bloomer: he only has four elite seasons and one elite playoffs run on his dossier to this date, which is simply less than most in that bracket. He’s obviously bound to have more, but I don’t like penciling that in prematurely because of eventualities like injuries.

I think he’ll need another Finals MVP to solidify a possible top-ten case, which’ll be a tall task in the upcoming years with all the superteams to contend with. More regular-season MVPs will help as well, but it won’t catapult him that much anymore now that he’s already one of the multitime winners.

Bronbron23
07-18-2021, 01:20 PM
That’s mainly because of his prior postseason flameouts, which they can no longer hold against him in light of this run. Now that Giannis has exorcised his playoffs demons—which he’ll hopefully cap off with a Finals MVP soon—you’d be hard-pressed to rank him out of the current top five.

As for OP…

Assuming we close out this series, I’d peg him around the top twenty-five at most for now. He’d also have enough upside to crack the top fifteen with just added longevity.

While he’ll have won every enviable accolade already, we need to remember he was a late bloomer: he only has four elite seasons and one elite playoffs run on his dossier to this date, which is simply less than most in that bracket. He’s obviously bound to have more, but I don’t like penciling that on prematurely because of eventualities like injuries.

I think he’ll need another Finals MVP to solidify a possible top-ten case, which’ll be a tall task in the upcoming years with all the superteams to contend with. More regular-season MVPs will help as well, but it won’t catapult him that much anymore now that he’s already one of the multitime winners.

Thing is he's not really playing any better this year compared to last. His stats are almost identical and even the eye test dosn't suggest otherwise. His short mid range game is a little better i guess. For the most part this year him and the bucks had it pretty easy in the post season. Heat got hot the end of last year and played out of their minds but they came back to reality and weren't amazing this year. Nets were hurt and Atlanta weren't that good and also had injuries. Suns are nice but they were literally a bottom of the basement team that added an old declining chris paul. Not taking anything away from greek. He's one of my favorite players and i am big on him. I just don't think this win if he gets it says much about where he and the bucs are. They won't win next year with this same team if other teams are healthy. Greek still needs to develop his mid and post more if he wants be the undisputed best player in the league and dominate like some of the games atg players. I think he will continue to improve and i think he will do that but if he dosn't for some reason this could be a one and done type of thing.

StrongLurk
07-18-2021, 01:21 PM
Ehh I guess you can say top 40-50...but I'm really starting to care about "rings" less and less. Is Giannis really worse if for instance Khris Middleton got injured in these playoffs and the Bucks never made the finals? Or is Giannis worse if they kept Bledsoe over Holiday?

Basketball will always be a team game even with the outsized impact that superstars have.

Giannis putting up 4-5 more superstar seasons is more important to me than winning a ring.

fsvr54
07-18-2021, 01:29 PM
Bucks aren't winning. Iff they do it's because Jrue and Middleton so he deserves zero credit.

DMAVS41
07-18-2021, 01:38 PM
Ehh I guess you can say top 40-50...but I'm really starting to care about "rings" less and less. Is Giannis really worse if for instance Khris Middleton got injured in these playoffs and the Bucks never made the finals? Or is Giannis worse if they kept Bledsoe over Holiday?

Basketball will always be a team game even with the outsized impact that superstars have.

Giannis putting up 4-5 more superstar seasons is more important to me than winning a ring.

Of course he's not worse if he had less help and lost, but played at the same level.

This is why level of play and impact should always matter the most. However, you can also judge players on what they accomplish in their circumstances. Giannis winning the title with this team matters. He deserves to be considered better if he wins than he would be if he lost.

It isn't easy ranking all these things and comparing players, but the point of the game is to try to lead teams to championships...and he'll deserve credit if he does that with this Bucks team.

StrongLurk
07-18-2021, 01:43 PM
Of course he's not worse if he had less help and lost, but played at the same level.

This is why level of play and impact should always matter the most. However, you can also judge players on what they accomplish in their circumstances. Giannis winning the title with this team matters. He deserves to be considered better if he wins than he would be if he lost.

It isn't easy ranking all these things and comparing players, but the point of the game is to try to lead teams to championships...and he'll deserve credit if he does that with this Bucks team.

Only with appropriate context...what Giannis has proved in his career so far is that all of his "haters" are dumb and are wrong about Giannis not being a superstar.

But that's all he has proved, that he is a legit superstar these last three years. Winning a ring or not is based on circumstance. If Khris Middleton blew out his knee in game one of the finals then we know the Suns would win...but if Giannis played the same level of play he is now but lost, is he worse? No.

All that matters is level of play for the most part while judging an individual...and right now the only two players I would for sure take over him are KD, Kawhi, and maybe Lebron.

k0kakw0rld
07-18-2021, 01:43 PM
He will surpass Curry and KD.

k0kakw0rld
07-18-2021, 01:44 PM
Bucks aren't winning. Iff they do it's because Jrue and Middleton so he deserves zero credit.

So your dumb ass is saying that a Jrue Holiday and Khris Middleton duo would be in the same position today without Giannis?
You are an imbecile if you believe that.

HunterSThompson
07-18-2021, 01:51 PM

so Kang finally gets a dumptruck worth of rings and now everyone says they're worthless

how convenient. next thing you mid range fans will say is all time playoff scoring is meaningless

https://fadeawayworld.net/.image/t_share/MTgxMjYzMjgyMDI2MzI1MDgw/190518505_2108071772668189_1924743094011120262_n-1.jpg

literally 2 tiers above the competition.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/tjBfD3R6Q0HMgqDg0-Mqgy5hO_E=/0x151:675x938/1400x933/filters:focal(232x252:340x360):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/60804233/DkR8DhCUYAErmX_.0.jpg

just... too... thick

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7lxVwvOqXhHThVf-KmF0gzDSS-8tWZmFjsg&usqp=CAU

DMAVS41
07-18-2021, 02:09 PM
Only with appropriate context...what Giannis has proved in his career so far is that all of his "haters" are dumb and are wrong about Giannis not being a superstar.

But that's all he has proved, that he is a legit superstar these last three years. Winning a ring or not is based on circumstance. If Khris Middleton blew out his knee in game one of the finals then we know the Suns would win...but if Giannis played the same level of play he is now but lost, is he worse? No.

All that matters is level of play for the most part while judging an individual...and right now the only two players I would for sure take over him are KD, Kawhi, and maybe Lebron.

Yes...with context. Exactly right.

I disagree, kind of, though that all that matters is level of play...at some point the results have to be there if given opportunities. If you just ignore all results...you get into some strange areas like CP3 fans wanting him to be in a class of player that I'd argue he clearly isn't in.

I think you shortchange guys a bit that do legendary things and will teams to win...and I think there is a bit more to the game that isn't picked up by stats and evaluation.

Winning a title as the clear cut best player without all-time elite help is historically rare and very difficult....and while I won't argue this will be the most impressive title ever or anything like that...I do think that there is a big difference between winning with a team like this (or even more impressive the 03 Spurs, 94 Rockets, 11 Mavs) and the ultra loaded teams that normally win.

What gets lost, imo, is how much easier it is to play great when your help is great. So I'd push back a bit on the "level of play" thing...way easier for Durant, for example, to have a high level of play and win while flanked by the Warriors supporting cast than it would be to try to win with a young Tony Parker.

Like you said...appropriate context matters...but I think it goes both ways and we often fail to account for the fact that an individual is not playing in a vacuum.

StrongLurk
07-18-2021, 03:21 PM
Yes...with context. Exactly right.

I disagree, kind of, though that all that matters is level of play...at some point the results have to be there if given opportunities. If you just ignore all results...you get into some strange areas like CP3 fans wanting him to be in a class of player that I'd argue he clearly isn't in.

I think you shortchange guys a bit that do legendary things and will teams to win...and I think there is a bit more to the game that isn't picked up by stats and evaluation.

Winning a title as the clear cut best player without all-time elite help is historically rare and very difficult....and while I won't argue this will be the most impressive title ever or anything like that...I do think that there is a big difference between winning with a team like this (or even more impressive the 03 Spurs, 94 Rockets, 11 Mavs) and the ultra loaded teams that normally win.

What gets lost, imo, is how much easier it is to play great when your help is great. So I'd push back a bit on the "level of play" thing...way easier for Durant, for example, to have a high level of play and win while flanked by the Warriors supporting cast than it would be to try to win with a young Tony Parker.

Like you said...appropriate context matters...but I think it goes both ways and we often fail to account for the fact that an individual is not playing in a vacuum.

Solid post, the truth is probably in the middle of what you and I think. Also, the 2011 Mavs title is probably the best "ring" post MJ's Bulls retirement. I'm a big Lebron fan and Kobe is one of my favorites easily as well...and they got steamrolled by Dirk and Co.

tanibanana
07-19-2021, 06:49 AM
After a ring this season, i say he is around 25-30.
He still lacks the quantity of All-Stars & All-NBA.
But as far as projection, once his career is over, he could end up as high as top-15 & as low as top-20.

KingMambaFan
07-19-2021, 08:13 AM
Top 25

Jasper
07-19-2021, 10:03 AM
1 Ring
1 FMVP
2 MVPs
1 NBA Defensive Player of the Year

All this at only 26.

We can bump this later.
Lets wait until the finals are over with.

Mauzah
07-19-2021, 01:03 PM
I'm surprised people are so quick to call him top 25 with one ring (potentially). I would say top 40 range for now and if he can consistently have more post seasons with deep playoff runs, then we can start talking top 25.

imdaman99
07-19-2021, 01:06 PM
Top 25 and well on his way to top 15 if he keeps this up. He's paid his dues and had struggles in past playoffs. He's earned this ring if they win 1 more game.

Lebron23
07-19-2021, 01:41 PM
Top 28-30.

hold this L
07-19-2021, 01:44 PM
Latter ends of the top 30. He's only 26, so he has plenty of time to move up the ladder. But 2x MVP, 1x champion, rebounding beast, elite defensively. If he didn't shrink into Alfred during the last 5 minutes when it comes to scoring in every PS, I'd have him higher.. but maybe he develops some post moves

Pointguard
07-19-2021, 04:06 PM
Moses, Pettit, and Wade are usually on every list that I've seen with the top 30 or so. Reed and Cowens are usually right at that 30 mark you reference.

I think top 30 range for Giannis if he wins playing this great is fair, but I would personally put him higher because I think he's better than he gets credit for.

This.

And he's was the best defensive player and most productive/efficient player two years straight. One of those years he was the best on both sides of the ball by eye test too. One of the most intelligent/instinctive players as well. A natural leader... . That's rarified air - Jordan, Wilt and maybe Lebron are the few where you can say this about them. He never takes a play off. One of the most intense. You rarely see a game where he isn't playing every position. In the age of super teams he's pretty amazing. His prime should be starting next year but he's top teens all time already if they win the chip.

L.Kizzle
07-19-2021, 04:14 PM
I'm surprised people are so quick to call him top 25 with one ring (potentially). I would say top 40 range for now and if he can consistently have more post seasons with deep playoff runs, then we can start talking top 25.
People have Leonard top 20ish already when he won 2 years ago. Giannis can be right where Leonard is.

ArbitraryWater
07-19-2021, 04:17 PM
StrongLurk still on the bullshit that got shut down in the other thread lol

HunterSThompson
07-19-2021, 04:19 PM
Where does Giannis rank all time after a ring?

right behind Kang James.. and i mean... RIGHT ...BEHIND

https://archive-media-0.nyafuu.org/bant/image/1506/20/1506203553074.gif

red1
07-19-2021, 04:22 PM
:oldlol:

Phoenix
07-19-2021, 05:00 PM
Since he'd get a Finals MVP along with a DPOY, he's inside the top 50. Since he didn't face a full Nets squad and Clippers/Lakers, this is a weak ring. Middleton also carried the Bucks to 1 finals win, so this ring wouldn't rank high on "alpha-ness". So he can't be top 30. 31 to 50.

Lol he was well inside the top 50 with two MVPs

paksat
07-19-2021, 05:04 PM
tied with lebronze

Pointguard
07-19-2021, 05:16 PM
This.

And he's was the best defensive player and most productive/efficient player two years straight. One of those years he was the best on both sides of the ball by eye test too. One of the most intelligent/instinctive players as well. A natural leader... . That's rarified air - Jordan, Wilt and maybe Lebron are the few where you can say this about them. He never takes a play off. One of the most intense. You rarely see a game where he isn't playing every position. In the age of super teams he's pretty amazing. His prime should be starting next year but he's top teens all time already if they win the chip.

Hakeem was the other player that might have been the best on both sides of the ball.

2much_knowledge
07-20-2021, 01:34 AM
Top 40

basketballcat
07-20-2021, 06:13 AM
Serious question, do you watch basketball? Are you older than 10? Have you taken any drugs recently?

Manny98
07-20-2021, 07:46 AM
Just inside the top 20

Two historic MVP seasons + a ring puts him ahead of most players ever

RogueBorg
07-20-2021, 03:12 PM
Top 20.

Above David Robinson.

I'd still take Robinson over Giannis. He can't hit his FT's. I'm shocked no one is doing Hack-a-Giannis yet.

It's coming. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens tonight.

dreamshake
07-20-2021, 03:30 PM
Right behind Leonard, Durant and LeBron

Just outside top 10:
Durant
Leonard
LeBron
Giannis
Wilt
West

GrayGoat
07-20-2021, 03:34 PM
I'd still take Robinson over Giannis. He can't hit his FT's. I'm shocked no one is doing Hack-a-Giannis yet.

Robinson is overrated as fvck

Pointguard
07-20-2021, 06:45 PM

Historically, teams with superstars who can't shoot FTs win more than teams lead by solid free throw shooters. Wilt, Russell, Shaq, Duncan and Lebron. Robinson couldn't win until Duncan took over.

Yes, Hack a Jan starts tonight. But the Clippers don't have the number of players to do it much of the game.

Doomsday Dallas
07-20-2021, 11:53 PM
After dominating with 50 points?

probably top 10

he's got some miles left.

DMAVS41
07-21-2021, 12:02 AM
The game he just played is about as impressive as it gets. Most players, even some of the best ever, lose that game with Jrue doing what he did. That was an absolutely dominant game on both ends and he deserves all the praise in the world for it.

He was already all-time great as of a couple years ago...and he's gotten better. He's on a path to being in rare company if he keeps this up and plays a long time.

Manny98
07-21-2021, 12:04 AM
1 ring + 2 MVPs + DPOY + GOAT level finals

He's comfortably in the top 20 ahead of guys like Barkley,Malone, Admiral who have never won as the man