PDA

View Full Version : Devin Booker or klay thompson who you got?

Bronbron23
07-18-2021, 07:28 PM
This is an interesting one. I like booker alot but i have to go with klay on this one. The 3 or 4 points less that klay scores is easily made up by klays defense. He's one of the better perimeter defenders in the game and booker is often a matador on that end. Plus offensively booker just shoots more than klay. when needed klay has put up similar offensive numbers as booker in this years playoffs.

It's a close call. Who u got?

HunterSThompson
07-18-2021, 07:32 PM
whats both players BPM and VORP looking like. the eye test is kind of misleading

ClipperRevival
07-18-2021, 07:33 PM
As 1st option on a team, Booker cause he can get his own shot but as 2nd option, Klay all day.

Assuming both players have proper pieces on a team and we are just going by impact, I would say Klay too.

Superior size, more athletic, elite defender, stretches the floor, doesn't need the ball, one of the GOAT shooters and heat check guys ever. Having said that, Booker is still young and he might make a leap. If so, my opinion might change but right now, Klay.

Klay brings a lot of value to any team.

Axe
07-18-2021, 07:36 PM
None.

Oubre > both

3ba11
07-18-2021, 07:38 PM
As 1st option on a team, Booker cause he can get his own shot but as 2nd option, Klay all day.

Assuming both players have proper pieces on a team and we are just going by impact, I would say Klay too.

Superior size, more athletic, elite defender, stretches the floor, doesn't need the ball, one of the GOAT shooters and heat check guys ever. Having said that, Booker is still young and he might make a leap. If so, my opinion might change but right now, Klay.

yeah but you can't use the jordan logic when thinking about Klay as a #2 - only Jordan won more than 1 ring with a true 2nd option like that

An elite 1st option that plays 2nd option like Booker, Kobe, Curry or Wade is the far more likely scenario on a team that wins more than 1 ring.. So I like Booker as #1 and #2 - his extra offense allows me to go sign some cheaper, scrappy defenders that I wouldn't sign if I had Klay (I'd need some additional offense somewhere, which is more expensive).

And isn't it nice to have 2 killers in the clutch rather than relying on the same guy all the time?

Bronbron23
07-18-2021, 07:40 PM

I was thinking the same thing about booker being a better first option but then i remembered how klay stepped up as a first option in 2016 when steph was out for most of the first 2 rounds. In those 2 series klay averaged the same amount of points as booker so far in this years playoffs. His efficiency didn't suffer either. He shot around 43% from 3 which is killing booker. Booker is a better finisher and has a better mid though.

Bronbron23
07-18-2021, 07:41 PM
None.

Oubre > both:oldlol:

ELITEpower23
07-18-2021, 07:42 PM
yeah but you can't use the jordan logic when thinking about Klay as a #2 - only Jordan won more than 1 ring with a true 2nd option like that

An elite 1st option that plays 2nd option like Booker, Kobe, Curry or Wade is the far more likely scenario on a team that wins more than 1 ring.. So I like Booker as #1 and #2 - his extra offense allows me to go sign some cheaper, scrappy defenders that I wouldn't sign if I had Klay (I'd need some additional offense somewhere, which is more expensive).

And isn't it nice to have 2 killers in the clutch rather than relying on the same guy all the time?

Did you just...respond to yourself? :hammerhead:

HBK_Kliq_2
07-18-2021, 07:44 PM
Booker is way better, he's closer to a superstar and klay is closer to a role player.

Suns have heavily depended on Booker to carry them all season and all playoffs. Klay never had that kind of responsibility, he was usually 3rd or 4th best player.

ClipperRevival
07-18-2021, 07:45 PM

You just brought up Jordan in a completely non-MJ related thread again LOL! You're the big dog on this board but...

https://media1.tenor.com/images/0abe6de2553acd96d016ffdb56e130ef/tenor.gif?itemid=5322318

3ba11
I was thinking the same thing about booker being a better first option but then i remembered how klay stepped up as a first option in 2016 when steph was out for most of the first 2 rounds. In those 2 series klay averaged the same amount of points as booker so far in this years playoffs. His efficiency didn't suffer either. He shot around 43% from 3 which is killing booker. Booker is a better finisher and has a better mid though.

A couple easy opponents - even Pippen averaged 25 against an injury-ravaged Cleveland in the 94' 1st Round...

3ba11
You just brought up Jordan in a completely non-MJ related thread again LOL! You're the big dog on this board but...

https://media1.tenor.com/images/0abe6de2553acd96d016ffdb56e130ef/tenor.gif?itemid=5322318

deflection

ClipperRevival
07-18-2021, 07:47 PM
Booker is way better, he's closer to a superstar and klay is closer to a role player.

Suns have heavily depended on Booker to carry them all season and all playoffs. Klay never had that kind of responsibility, he was usually 3rd or 4th best player.

It's true. If he was #1 on a team, his teams would not have much success cause he can't create his own shot in the half court to save his life. But as 2nd option, he brings tremendous value on both ends.

Bronbron23
07-18-2021, 07:48 PM

Well except for 2016 first 2 rounds when curry was out and booker put up the same numbers as booker is now all while playing elite defense. He would also do it on an any game basis deep in the post season when steph would shrink. If you think he never did it then you clearly never watch him play.

Bronbron23
07-18-2021, 07:49 PM
A couple easy opponents - even Pippen averaged 25 against an injury-ravaged Cleveland in the 94' 1st Round...

I wouldn't say easy. They were playoff teams and warriors were missing their best player.

ClipperRevival
07-18-2021, 07:54 PM
deflection

You da man 3ball. You fight the good fight for the MJ fam, kicking a lot of knowledge. But at the same time, you do exhibit obssessive compulsive behavior at times. LOL. But still....https://media1.tenor.com/images/bdc1f72a0d473f95059100ca5201225e/tenor.gif?itemid=5986522

SATAN
07-18-2021, 08:01 PM
Booker is more talented and athletic but I prefer Klay tbh.

At least Klay isn't going to constantly dribble into suffocating defense looking for a Kobe-esque shot and having to kick it out again.

Axe
07-18-2021, 08:41 PM
:oldlol:
:roll:

Spain_
07-19-2021, 08:26 AM
Depends on the role.
As a first option Booker, next to a ball dominant star I want Klay.
Klay next to a ball dominator is the best value you can get out of either of them.

Spain_
07-19-2021, 08:27 AM
Klay next to a Luka or Lebron type would be an absolutely killer combination.

tpols
07-19-2021, 08:48 AM
Devin Booker has more 40 point games in this year's playoffs then Klay has in his entire career. And for what we all know Booker isn't the best passer, he's still easily a better dribbler, passer, playmaker, rebounder, and scorer. Klay plays simple man defense he's never had an elite defensive metric. And it sure doesnt make up for him,being worse at literally everything else.

Wally450
07-19-2021, 09:46 AM
Booker as a first option, Klay as a second option.

Jasper
07-19-2021, 09:58 AM

I will take Klay - he is a more complete player...
His defense is light years ahead of Bookers

DidUSaySomethin
07-19-2021, 06:46 PM

Klay averaged 24.3 PPG on 55.2 efg% in the 2016 postseason. 23.4 ppg vs the Rockets and 31 ppg vs the Blazers w/o Curry

Bronbron23
07-19-2021, 06:55 PM
Klay averaged 24.3 PPG on 55.2 efg% in the 2016 postseason. 23.4 ppg vs the Rockets and 31 ppg vs the Blazers w/o Curry

Yeah that's what i was saying. Stats are important but they aren't necessarily an accurate way of determining who's better. Era's are different and roles and systems are different. This is where eye test is valuable. Stats aside i'd say they're pretty even scoring wise. Booker is a slightly better finisher and has a slightly better mid game. Klay is a much better 3 point shooter and is a bit smarter offensively. There's no big edge either way in rebounds and passive but klay is a considerably better defender. I'd personally go with klay but it's close so i can't fault anyone going with booker. Anyone saying it's not close dosn't know the game

TheCorporation
07-19-2021, 07:18 PM
Booker as a first option, Klay as a second option.

This.

/thread

TAZORAC
07-20-2021, 10:56 PM
Booker is better then Thompson at this point

Booker is a 3 tier scroer (can shoot the 3, mid range and drive to the basket)
Thompson is basically a 3 point shooter and mid-range secondary.

Bronbron23
07-20-2021, 11:15 PM
Booker is better then Thompson at this point

Booker is a 3 tier scroer (can shoot the 3, mid range and drive to the basket)
Thompson is basically a 3 point shooter and mid-range secondary.

Well he certainly shoots the 3 like most players these days but he's not amazing at it. Saying booker can shoot the three is like saying Michal jordan can shoot the 3. He's not crazy efficient from 3. Klay is a way better 3 point shooter. Booker is better from mid and attacking though. Question is is bookers slight edge offensively weighted more than klays large edge defensively. I'd argue no given defense is half the battle booker gets abused regularly on that end.

Bronbron23
07-20-2021, 11:51 PM
Yall still think booker better than klay:facepalm