PDA

View Full Version : Keldon Johnsons dunk vs Spain was better than any dunk you've seen in the finals

90sgoat
07-19-2021, 06:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cTH7iqZYS0

This is why we need to go back to rules similar to FIBA.

Dunks in the NBA are absolutely meaningless and you can tell, the players don't care at all, and would rather just do a layup.

On the other hand, in FIBA rules, a dunk is hard to come by. That means it is either a well executed fast break (intensity) or a half court athletic play (ambition).

So when Keldon Johnson ran that fast break after having battled hard all night, he really put his emotions into that dunk and it energized the team and that was the moment I knew that USA would win.

That's what dunks used to be like before the open lane, defensive 3 seconds.

Dunks were special and usually only happened because of sheer will or supreme athletic ability.

Horatio33
07-19-2021, 06:48 AM
It's a good dunk but nothing special.

90sgoat
07-19-2021, 08:48 AM

I take it you didn't watch the game?

It's all about the context.

The USA were struggling in the first half, but fought their way back using physicality.

This dunk was the exclamation mark of that team fighting effort.

From here on, the US ran away with it.

The dunk meant something.

Kblaze8855
07-19-2021, 08:56 AM
On gonna go on and say the one point game alley with the foul with 13 seconds left in the crucial game 5 of the finals meant more than an uncontested exhibition second quarter dunk by a team that came together 45 minutes ago to play games nobody knows are happening till they are close late.

That play meant less to basketball than Mike Breens pregame honey tea being the right temperature. That dunk may be the least significant one a topic was ever made to bring attention to…..and I once made a topic on why Josh Smith put the tape 3 feet behind the free throw line for a dunk contest dunk when he didn’t intend to take off from it. Josh smiths dunk contest bullshit was at least as significant as that exhibition game nothing. Actual great plays from exhibition games don’t mean anything.

That play wouldn’t make the blue vs white select team scrimmage highlights from the Kobe vs Bron 08 run.

90sgoat
07-19-2021, 09:02 AM
On gonna go on and say the one point game alley with the foul with 13 seconds left in the crucial game 5 of the finals meant more than an uncontested exhibition second quarter dunk by a team that came together 45 minutes ago to play games nobody knows are happening till they are close late.

That play meant less to basketball than Mike Breens pregame honey tea being the right temperature.

It's different games Kblaze.

The finals are NBA-entertainment, almost a sport in itself, but I find it extremely boring to watch the 3 point contest with meaningless dunks.

This game had nothing on the line, except everything on the line, you know, like how people play their hearts out in rec leagues or in playgrounds.

Real basketball.

8Ball
07-19-2021, 09:07 AM
Dunking in high school level exhibition environment doesn't mean anything.

Kblaze8855
07-19-2021, 09:22 AM
I find a lot of shit boring. Doesn’t make what I like significant. You can watch all the meaningless game fast break exhibition dunks you want. Maybe I’ll make you a little compilation and you can run it back all day while drinking Surge, playing NBA live 95, talking about how you miss Derek Harper and pick and pops out to 18 foot elbow jumpers that went in 34% of the time. I’ll take a surge too. I’ll use the Magic on live. I’ll talk to you about Sam Perkins. All good.

It just has nothing to do with unimpressive exhibition dunks in second quarters vs what may go down as a signature strip and fast break dunk in finals history.

You’re gonna see Jrue strip Book and throw that lob for Giannis to dunk with his head at the backboard and Paul being posterized committing the foul on an nba finals intro in 2054. Nobody not reading this topic will ever see the play you posted again…..because there’s nothing to see.

People have been excited after breaking loose for a well earned tough game dunk or layup for 100 years. All very well and good. I’ve been real excited making big plays in the back yard. And you don’t and shouldn’t care….because none of them meant anything to anyone else. We still talk about some “real” plays in inconsequential friendly games from years ago. They matter. To me and like 6 other people. They aren’t objectively great and neither is this.

I certainly see what you’re getting at fundamentally it’s just….as usual here…going too far to make a point.

90sgoat
07-19-2021, 09:41 AM
drinking Surge, playing NBA live 95

It was the best of times lol.

Haha, like legit, that was it Surge and NBA Live 95 and long sunny summers.

FireDavidKahn
07-19-2021, 10:24 AM
A wide open dunk?

:facepalm

90sgoat
07-19-2021, 10:48 AM
A wide open dunk?

:facepalm

Context.

It was the only wide open dunk in the game and basically like only one of 3 dunks in the entire game.

HylianNightmare
07-19-2021, 10:50 AM

This

Horatio33
07-19-2021, 12:11 PM
Context.

It was the only wide open dunk in the game and basically like only one of 3 dunks in the entire game.

So you find a dunk in an exhibition more exciting than a steal and alley oop in the last minute of a finals game? Strange hill to die on.

imdaman99
07-19-2021, 01:03 PM
Lol don't be ridiculous. That Giannis alley oop dunk is gonna be remembered just like the Kobe to Shaq alley oop 50 years from now. Although that Kobe to Shaq was not in the Finals, it was the culmination of emotion and drama and it ended the Blazers.

Lebron23
07-19-2021, 01:58 PM
Bronny James Dunk in HS better than that dunk

HunterSThompson
07-19-2021, 02:02 PM
hey OP. you ever seen this clip. get ready to nut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgpW4XNh4ho