PDA

View Full Version : Giannis plays at center every time Lopez isn't on the floor - and sometimes more

hiphopanonymous
07-20-2021, 10:05 PM
- So why don't we ever call him a center? His whole career he's been listed at literally every single position (not joking, PG, SG, SF, and PF) but never as center.

Reminds me of KG and Tim Duncan.

I don't know what the negative stigma is about being called a center when it ends up being what you do best, that's like historically the most prestigious and dominant position you could be. I do get that he's a swing F/C but I never hear anybody refer to him as a center. He doesn't play outside of the paint any less often than guys like Dave Cowens or Willis Reed did and they listed as centers he pretty much plays just like those guys as far as his ratio of inside vs outside game effectiveness.

Center is not the least skilled position on the floor. Historically - it was the best you anchored the team from that prestigious spot. Not sure what happened to turn players away from it.

RRR3
07-20-2021, 10:14 PM
He initates his own offense the entire play. Centers traditional don’t do that. Not saying centers haven’t traditionally created offense Cuz they have but they usually get a post entry first. Giannis handles the ball.

90sgoat
07-20-2021, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I see him as a center playing the modern rules.

I imagine Hakeem would play much the same, just better.

hiphopanonymous
07-20-2021, 10:16 PM
He initates his own offense though. Centers traditional don’t do that.
Depends - a lot of the times he's playing like a center. It's not rigid what certain positions can or can't do anyways. There's plenty of tape of Mikan, Russell, Wilt, Reed, Cowens, Kareem, Robinson, Shaq etc running breaks and initiating their own or their teams own offense. He wants to be called a forward more power to him I guess I just feel like he's clearly the teams centerpiece as it were, mostly dominating from the inside vs out - and if I were him I'd pridefully call myself the center in that position and I find it strange that he and others in recent eras shy away from that spot. At least Jokic and Embiid call themselves a center at least. I think Giannis should step up and do the same in the future at least.

basketballcat
07-20-2021, 10:20 PM
Modern basketball is more fluid anyway. You can call him a C, a PF, or just a forward. Doesn't really matter all that much.

Jasper
07-20-2021, 10:24 PM
- So why don't we ever call him a center? His whole career he's been listed at literally every single position (not joking, PG, SG, SF, and PF) but never as center.

Reminds me of KG and Tim Duncan.

I don't know what the negative stigma is about being called a center when it ends up being what you do best, that's like historically the most prestigious and dominant position you could be. I do get that he's a swing F/C but I never hear anybody refer to him as a center. He doesn't play outside of the paint any less often than guys like Dave Cowens or Willis Reed did and they listed as centers he pretty much plays just like those guys as far as his ratio of inside vs outside game effectiveness.

Center is not the least skilled position on the floor. Historically - it was the best you anchored the team from that prestigious spot. Not sure what happened to turn players away from it.

Then he leaves Ayton , and easy 2 footer....