PDA

View Full Version : Who had a better playoff run? 2020 Anthony Davis or 2021 Giannis Antetokounmpo?

Im Still Ballin
07-21-2021, 01:41 PM
2020 AD:

27.7 PPG
9.7 RPG
3.5 APG
1.2 SPG
1.4 BPG

.571 FG%
.383 3PT%
.832 FT%

29.6 PER
.665 TS%
8.7 BPM

2020 Giannis:

30.2 PPG
12.8 RPG
5.1 APG
1.0 SPG
1.2 BPG

.569 FG%
.186 3PT%
.587 FT%

27.6 PER
.599 TS%
9.9 BPM

ImKobe
07-21-2021, 01:43 PM
AD's numbers are better on paper (insane scoring efficiency and arguably better defense, legendary buzzer-beater) but I have to give it to Giannis because his sidekick was Middleton while AD had LeBron as his 2nd best player.

Im Still Ballin
07-21-2021, 01:44 PM
Really tough to decide.

AD was literally dominating from all spots on the court: 3pt, mid-range, paint -- AND the free throw line.

Giannis dominated in the paint and only the paint. But he was unstoppable there. Shaq-like.

Defense is probably a wash.

999Guy
07-21-2021, 01:49 PM
Davis.

Probably a better playmaker and scorer despite having a way less ball dominant and flow killing play style.

Defense is probably a wash.

Pointguard
07-21-2021, 03:20 PM
Giannis ended the run in a much bigger way. AD didn't lead his team in any of the big categories in the finals. The finals comparison isn't close. AD wasn't the best player on his team and rarely carried the team. Giannis has quicker feet than AD so I give him the defensive edge as well as he's a better help defender.

Bronbron23
07-21-2021, 03:27 PM
2020 AD:

27.7 PPG
9.7 RPG
3.5 APG
1.2 SPG
1.4 BPG

.571 FG%
.383 3PT%
.832 FT%

29.6 PER
.665 TS%
8.7 BPM

2020 Giannis:

30.2 PPG
12.8 RPG
5.1 APG
1.0 SPG
1.2 BPG

.569 FG%
.186 3PT%
.587 FT%

27.6 PER
.599 TS%
9.9 BPM

Damn bron had Giannis type help?

kawhileonard2
07-21-2021, 04:42 PM
Damn bron had Giannis type help?

This

SouBeachTalents
07-21-2021, 04:48 PM
AD's numbers are better on paper (insane scoring efficiency and arguably better defense, legendary buzzer-beater) but I have to give it to Giannis because his sidekick was Middleton while AD had LeBron as his 2nd best player.
This guy just said in another thread said Giannis' run was better than 2000 Shaq, so now AD's is on that level too. Absolute clown :lol

StrongLurk
07-21-2021, 04:51 PM
Giannis was slightly better in my opinion, although I think AD was a better player than Giannis last year.

ScottieQuitting
07-21-2021, 05:13 PM
Giannis but only slightly. Both were the best players on their championship teams. LA faced a much weaker Finals opponent. With even more injury issues affecting the roster talent disparity.

red1
07-21-2021, 05:22 PM
close AD had a game-winner against the nuggets and was deadly every series

I'll say tie

Cyrus334
07-21-2021, 05:42 PM
AD had slighty better numbers all around but he had Lebron as his partner, who took all the responsibility off him. All he had to do was score and defend at an elite level. Giannis not only had to do that but also had the burden of actually leading his team on and off the court and he won without another superstar.

That, to me, is far more impressive than a bunch of numbers on a stat sheet.

ArbitraryWater
07-21-2021, 05:48 PM
This guy just said in another thread said Giannis' run was better than 2000 Shaq, so now AD's is on that level too. Absolute clown :lol

Lol.

Thats funny.

Anyway cmon guys.

Its the player with 3 40+ pt games incl 50 in the close-out in the finals.

SouBeachTalents
07-21-2021, 05:49 PM
AD had slighty better numbers all around but he had Lebron as his partner, who took all the responsibility off him. All he had to do was score and defend at an elite level. Giannis not only had to do that but also had the burden of actually leading his team on and off the court and he won without another superstar.

Which is why I'm surprised so many people are saying this is close. It'd be like comparing Durant's Warriors numbers to Kawhi/Wade/Kobe's FMVP runs and saying it's close, but with any context applied it really isn't. AD had a still superstar caliber LeBron, Giannis did not. After these Finals and especially last night, Giannis having a literal historically great game to clinch the title and avoid a road Game 7, to me this is clearly Giannis

Sarcastic
07-21-2021, 05:58 PM
They both carried their teams to a title.

ImKobe
07-21-2021, 06:24 PM

How am I a clown for saying that Giannis had the highest GameScore (followed by Shaq & KD) in Finals history? He arguably did have the greatest statistical Finals as he was more efficient than Shaq and certainly played better defense than Diesel ever did. Yes yes, the era is different & all but he carried his team and had so many great moments in this series, can you name any for Shaq in the 2000 Finals without looking up some obscure highlight? We'll all remember the Giannis block, the alley-oop and his Game 6. What we remember most from the '00 Finals is Kobe's OT performance with Shaq fouled out.

1987_Lakers
07-21-2021, 06:30 PM
How am I a clown for saying that Giannis had the highest GameScore (followed by Shaq & KD) in Finals history? He arguably did have the greatest statistical Finals as he was more efficient than Shaq and certainly played better defense than Diesel ever did. Yes yes, the era is different & all but he carried his team and had so many great moments in this series, can you name any for Shaq in the 2000 Finals without looking up some obscure highlight? We'll all remember the Giannis block, the alley-oop and his Game 6. What we remember most from the '00 Finals is Kobe's OT performance with Shaq fouled out.

LeBron had a higher game score than AD in the Finals and in the overall 2020 postseason, but that doesn't stop you from saying AD was better. :oldlol:

ImKobe
07-21-2021, 06:32 PM
LeBron had a higher game score than AD in the Finals and in the overall 2020 postseason, but that doesn't stop you from saying AD was better. :oldlol:

1. My argument was that AD was the best overall player in the Playoffs, not the Finals.
2. Jimmy Butler had a higher GameScore than Lebron so Lebron got outplayed until they had AD as the primary defender on him in Game 6.
3. Giannis clearly had the better series. 50/14 with 5 blocks and damn near 90% FT shooting in a finals close-out game by a Center? That's something Shaq never did.

TheMan
07-21-2021, 06:32 PM
Holy shit, AD's stats are pretty similar to Giannis...and the LeLosers still like claiming Bran needs moar help, lol

1987_Lakers
07-21-2021, 06:33 PM
1. My argument was that AD was the best overall player in the Playoffs, not the Finals.
2. Jimmy Butler had a higher GameScore than Lebron so Lebron got outplayed until they had AD as the primary defender on him in Game 6.
3. Giannis clearly had the better series. 50/14 with 5 blocks and damn near 90% FT shooting in a finals close-out game by a Center? That's something Shaq never did.

And yet, if you look at the overall game score in the '20 playoffs, LeBron is above AD and he also won Finals MVP unanimous.

ImKobe
07-21-2021, 06:37 PM
And yet, if you look at the overall game score in the '20 playoffs, LeBron is above AD and he also won Finals MVP unanimous.

Yes, Lebron was the best player in a series where the opponent's 2nd and 3rd best players were injured. AD was still the best player on the team throughout the RS & 3 of the 4 rounds in the Playoffs. It's like saying Iggy was the best player on the Warriors in '15 because of his FMVP, or Kawhi in '14 or Shaq in '01 because they won FMVP.

SouBeachTalents
07-21-2021, 06:38 PM
The thread in question asked who was the better player between Giannis and '00 Shaq, and you not only said Giannis, which the vast majority of people would disagree with, you went on to claim "easily Giannis" :lol And since you're in this thread saying it's extremely close between Giannis & AD, that essentially means you also believe AD is comparable with and maybe even better than 2000 Shaq, which is simply an astounding take

1987_Lakers
Yes, Lebron was the best player in a series where the opponent's 2nd and 3rd best players were injured. AD was still the best player on the team throughout the RS & 3 of the 4 rounds in the Playoffs.

Then why did LeBron finish higher in the MVP voting that year?

ArbitraryWater
Yes, Lebron was the best player in a series where the opponent's 2nd and 3rd best players were injured. AD was still the best player on the team throughout the RS & 3 of the 4 rounds in the Playoffs. It's like saying Iggy was the best player on the Warriors in '15 because of his FMVP, or Kawhi in '14 or Shaq in '01 because they won FMVP.

You don‘t even believe this yourself.

The Lakers with AD and without LeBron got blown out by 25 by Denver at home…

Right around Christmas.

ImKobe
07-21-2021, 06:39 PM
Then why did LeBron finish higher in the MVP voting that year?

Because it's a media award and we know how much the media loves Lebron. AD led the Lakers in points, rebounds, steals & blocks & PER & Winshares...

You don‘t even believe this yourself.

The Lakers with AD and without LeBron got blown out by 25 by Denver at home…

Right around Christmas.

Yes, ONE Regular Season game defines the entire thing.

999Guy
07-21-2021, 06:53 PM

Giannis would not actually get the full benefits of playing with LeBron. Because he stinks at important parts of offense, unlike Davis.

This guy flamed out with baby LeBron, Eric Bledsoe yearly for a reason. And even he and Holiday’s games were brutal all playoffs.

Giannis isn’t as good for an offense as Davis. Which is a way of saying he’s worse offensively.

red1
07-21-2021, 06:55 PM
Holy shit, AD's stats are pretty similar to Giannis...and the LeLosers still like claiming Bran needs moar help, lol

if AD was healthy lebron would be holding his 5th finals MVP and championship right now

but thats how it goes health is part of the game

TheMan
07-21-2021, 07:01 PM
if AD was healthy lebron would be holding his 5th finals MVP and championship right now

but thats how it goes health is part of the game

Meh, if all teams are healthy, it could've gone to the Clippers or Nets as well. But you're right, LeBron would've coattailed AD to his 5th. BTW, any chance we get Dame to join the Lakers? Or how about Kawhi? Maybe he's pissed enough at the Clips to join LBJ? He needs moar help, right?

red1
07-21-2021, 07:03 PM
Meh, if all teams are healthy, it could've gone to the Clippers or Nets as well. But you're right, LeBron would've coattailed AD to his 5th. BTW, any chance we get Dame to join the Lakers? Or how about Kawhi? Maybe he's pissed enough at the Clips to join LBJ? He needs moar help, right?

GOAT james would've defended giannis better than anyone on the nets or suns.

lakers are a two-man team. AD's fragility was the only real factor. the other dummies like drummond and schroder are just role-players.

Jasper
07-21-2021, 07:05 PM

Ad I doubt could never carry a team..

Jasper
07-21-2021, 07:06 PM

lakers are a two-man team. AD's fragility was the only real factor. the other dummies like drummond and schroder are just role-players.

lmao ... what year did you last see bron play defense ??

red1
07-21-2021, 07:06 PM
lmao ... what year did you last see bron play defense ??

lockdown 2020 playoffs.

ImKobe
07-21-2021, 07:11 PM
Ad I doubt could never carry a team..

He certainly could, we saw enough of that in NO where he was consistently a dominant player in both RS & Playoffs and obviously in the RS & Playoffs last year. He just didn't have the teams in NO to beat the Warriors when he ran into them, even though he was a 30/10 player in the Playoffs. And please don't argue that he's not durable enough, he was durable for 4 straight years (NO shut him down after trade rumors started) and got hurt this year after a short off-season but he's definitely one of the 5-10 best players in the league when healthy, which means he's good enough to carry a team. He's not as dominant as Giannis in the paint but he has a lot more range and is just as great on defense.

TheMan
07-21-2021, 07:12 PM

Lol, Bran hasn't played defense for at least half a decade, James cannot defend Giannis, if he tried, the old guy would be spent by halftime.

red1
07-21-2021, 07:13 PM
Lol, Bran hasn't played defense for at least half a decade, James cannot defend Giannis, if he tried, the old guy would be spent by halftime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Y8L8QwObA

Naero
07-21-2021, 07:13 PM
Incomparable since AD was just a costar, whereas Giannis was the clear-cut leader. Even if you want to decontextualize their roles, I don't see The Brow's merit.

Giannis outperformed him in every conceivable way outside of jumpshooting and FT-shooting efficiency, and you can't argue AD as the better offensive player overall just because of those subskills. Giannis outscored him overall despite those "limitations," and he was the much more skillful playmaker.

Plus, Giannis played better on much higher stakes: he surmounted two 0-2 deficits without HCA, posted a 40-point Game 7 against the Nets, and had possibly the GOAT Finals debut. Not to suggest AD couldn't rise to the occasion—I remember his clutch Game 2 against the Nuggets—but he didn't have to as the Lakers were in comfortable control of most series; he certainly didn't have to score a superefficient 50 points just to close out a series, for example.

You can definitely argue 2020 AD over Giannis in the same year, but I don't see how it's even discussable with the 2021 Greek God.

TheMan
07-21-2021, 09:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Y8L8QwObA

Yeah regular season games aren't any predictors of how a Finals series will play out and not once did I see in that video James embarrassing himself trying to guard Giannis.

ClipperRevival
07-22-2021, 12:20 AM
That's crazy the numbers AD put up. That's probably better than most 1st option stats for a championship run. But "more halp" right?

Bron fans right now?......

https://media1.tenor.com/images/d7dbde8b06d3768daef22a3a3e2d1d75/tenor.gif?itemid=8862897