PDA

View Full Version : Team USA needs an Alpha

ScottieQuitting
07-26-2021, 08:51 AM
Every team with professional players needs a hierarchy. Because otherwise you have a lot of players were the best player on their team all coming together, and then they play to tentatively and hot potato but not in a functional team manner.

Team USA had no definitive alpha in 2000, 2002, 2004 (was it Iverson or Duncan) and 2006 (was it LeBron or Wade, both young)

It wasn’t until 27 to 28-year-old Kobe came on the team, because he couldn’t join them in the summer of 2006 due to knee surgery, in summer 2007 that he quickly in the blue versus white game established alpha dominance over everybody. Specifically at the time over 22-year-old LeBron, who might’ve considered himself leader of the 206 that finished third. But everybody behind the scenes thought he was a massive diva and poor leader. Almost didn’t get invited back even. It was the Nike connection and USA contract that kept him there. And given so close in age and draft class with Dwyane Wade, who just came off a finals MVP, there wasn’t a true separation there yet of who was better.

Kobe however made it a point to do establish lead dog dominance.

He put in the intimidation, and fear factor. For teammates and opposition. Mystique. Plus he instituted the competitive spirit to want to play defense. And it trickled down to everybody else.

He was clearly the best player on the 2007 and 2008 teams. The latter, he focused much more intently on being the teams best perimeter defender, much like Mike in 1992, didn’t put up as good of raw stats as Dwyane Wade and LeBron James. But he was willing to do the dirty work, but also was the one the young guys turned to organically when things got tight in pressure situation.

Same thing happened with the 1992 team. You had all these big massive egos, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, David Robinson. But it was in the scrimmages and practice, that said Michael was organically clearly the dominant alpha dog of the team. With Charles Barkley as the number two.

Somebody on this team needs to establish dominance. The way Kevin Durant did in 2010, clearly the teams best player. The way LeBron did in 2012, clearly the teams alpha and best player. The way Harden did on the 2014 team, and Kevin Durant again on the 2016 team.

It seems like there’s a juggling between Damian Lillard and Kevin Durant, where neither wants to step on the others toes of masculinity, but one of them needs to define who the absolute go to guy and best player is.

I mean they also need a facilitator and somebody who can move the ball. Which all those other teams did a point guard. Whether it was Jason Kidd, or Chris Paul. There’s no true distributing point guard trying to get everybody involved on this team.

It’s also an odd mix of veterans. Just thrown together. I would’ve preferred a predominantly younger squad, with one definitive best player and a definitive second best player. Who complement one another.

I can’t believe I’m going to say this because I didn’t like them at first, but he was kind of surprising this year, and given he has such experience with international players in the international game. I actually would’ve put LaMelo Ball on this team as starting PG.

I would’ve had a bunch of young guys. I would’ve asked Zion Williamson. I basically would’ve done a bunch of under 26 year olds and under, and then like a Damian Lillard or Kevin Durant has the cherry on top as the teams definitive best player. Establishing a hierarchy.

This might end up oddly is the worst performing professional team USA. Maybe not as bad as the 2019 FIBA team, but close

rawimpact
07-26-2021, 09:11 AM
well both dame and durant combined for like 7/22 so yeah... that's not going to cut it.

ScottieQuitting
07-26-2021, 09:29 AM
well both dame and durant combined for like 7/22 so yeah... that's not going to cut it.

But I mean that’s always been my critique of Dame. I like him, but holy shit, if the jumper isn’t falling? What other dimension does he bring?

He’s not a great play making, distributing point guard. Not a great passer. Doesn’t have great court vision. Doesn’t even have elite creation off the dribble, like he’s a good ball handler but not elite ballhandling like Chris Paul, Kyrie Irving, and Steph Curry. And he definitely doesn’t remotely play defense.

And like I said, this is a critique of him in the NBA as well, if he’s not hitting that jumper, he doesn’t even have other dimension with scoring the ball. Unlike say Kyrie Irving, who can knock down the long ball, but he also has great footwork, mid range game, pull up, left hand, floaters, and is insanely good at getting to the basket with craftiness and his elite ballhandling and is an amazing finisher at the rim for a guy that plays below the rim.

Dame can be limited at times. It’s why he had that sizzling hot lead up to the bubble playoffs, and then went MIA in the first round against the Lakers.

Kevin Durant just had a really bad shooting game plus he fouled out. Jrue Holiday should never be expected to carry a team offensively. Or put up the most shots.

Airupthere
07-26-2021, 03:00 PM
As talented as KD is on offense, he simply does not have that presence.

MadDog
07-26-2021, 03:03 PM
If Giannis wasn't a foreigner, I think he would be a perfect candidate. Hardworking, embodies success and improvement. Oh well. :confusedshrug: They're gonna have to work with what they got. Maybe Jrue coming off a ring helps them out.

Stephonit
07-26-2021, 03:06 PM
I heard rumblings that the guys on the team aren't thrilled with playing system ball a la Popovich. Seems like a bad pairing between players and coach.

ClipperRevival
07-26-2021, 08:08 PM
KD should've been that dude. Disappointed in him. An all time great like him with superior superstar help should not lose a single game in the Olympics. His stock took a hit in my eyes.

ClipperRevival
07-26-2021, 08:12 PM
I heard rumblings that the guys on the team aren't thrilled with playing system ball a la Popovich. Seems like a bad pairing between players and coach.

You are what you do everyday. NBA players shoot the 3 everyday. That is their reality. You can give these players the perfect system but when things get tight, they will revert to what they always do on instinct. This is the product of the NBA right now. Once the product changes, the players will change. Not to mention, looking for the easy foul calls. It's a beta era.

DoctorP
07-26-2021, 09:25 PM
where is Kyrie??

RRR3
07-26-2021, 09:25 PM
KD should've been that dude. Disappointed in him. An all time great like him with superior superstar help should not lose a single game in the Olympics. His stock took a hit in my eyes.
MJ lost to college players lmao

3ba11
07-26-2021, 09:27 PM
the 3-pointer era = guys that don't know how to play basketball

today's game is all layups and threes - the same boring actions - iso or high-screen roll - our international opponents play far better basketball then that, so they destroy us routinely - we suck

ScottieQuitting
07-26-2021, 10:16 PM
MJ lost to college players lmao

Are you talking about a scrimmage? One that he was primarily held out of to ensure the team would lose? Along with manipulating the game clock to further ensure a loss? Then they immediately tore them apart the next game and remainder of the week

Axe
07-26-2021, 10:19 PM
the 3-pointer era = guys that don't know how to play basketball

today's game is all layups and threes - the same boring actions - iso or high-screen roll - our international opponents play far better basketball then that, so they destroy us routinely - we suck
Well your hero had a paltry fg% at long range with a wnba line.

Honor Boost
07-26-2021, 10:23 PM
where is Kyrie??

Birthday party

DoctorP
07-26-2021, 10:41 PM
Birthday party

:lol