PDA

View Full Version : So I know ppl really dislike putting asterisks on rings here, but...

07-27-2021, 11:59 AM
... Couldn't one argue this latest chip deserves one? I mean, no one's ever faced Chris paul in the finals before

No shade to giannis, hes a beast. Just sayin

outofstomach
07-27-2021, 03:04 PM
it’s overrated, the last genuinely impressive ring came in 2019 (kawhi’s raptors)

seems like to me the media just wanted to prop up a new icon since lebron is somewhat out of the door

tontoz
07-27-2021, 04:24 PM
it’s overrated, the last genuinely impressive ring came in 2019 (kawhi’s raptors)

seems like to me the media just wanted to prop up a new icon since lebron is somewhat out of the door

The asterisk clowns were saying that 2019 ring was weak because Durant and Klay were hurt in the finals.

07-27-2021, 04:27 PM
The asterisk clowns were saying that 2019 ring was weak because Durant and Klay were hurt in the finals.

Theres been injuried players on finals teams in plenty of years. But theres never been Chris Paul on a finals team in any year

3ba11
07-27-2021, 04:39 PM
all of curry's rings have asterisks because he faced the worst Finals teams in history - Lebron's teams have the worst Finals record in 3-pointer history (22-33) - everyone destroys him by record amount, so why should curry get any credit

(i'm just using op's logic)

07-27-2021, 04:42 PM
all of curry's rings have asterisks because he faced the worst Finals teams in history - Lebron's teams have the worst Finals record in 3-pointer history (22-33) - everyone destroys him by record amount, so why should curry get any credit

(i'm just using op's logic)

Good point. However lebron has a 40% winrate in the Finals, while CP3 has a 0% winrate. So I would say this ring is infinitely more asterisky than Currys

3ba11
07-27-2021, 04:45 PM
Good point. However lebron has a 40% winrate in the Finals, while CP3 has a 0% winrate. So I would say this ring is infinitely more asterisky than Currys

fair enough

however, I still disagree because Giannis was so dominant and didn't have the first-mover strategy advantage that Curry had - the Warriors had a brief strategy advantage that allowed Curry to win with a bum like Klay as 2nd option and super-bum draymond at 3rd.. only KD made them viable.. curry would have zero rings without kd or the 15' injuries... or his brief strategy advantage

07-27-2021, 04:47 PM
fair enough

however, I still disagree because Giannis was so dominant and didn't have the first-mover strategy advantage that Curry had - the Warriors had a brief strategy advantage that allowed Curry to win with a bum like Klay as 2nd option and super-bum draymond at 3rd.. only KD made them viable.. curry would have zero rings without kd or the 15' injuries... or his brief strategy advantage
Im not gonna contest that, but Giannis had the "faced Chris Paul" advantage, which is really quite significant

3ba11
07-27-2021, 04:48 PM
Im not gonna contest that, but Giannis had the "faced Chris Paul" advantage, which is really quite significant

this is very true... that's a nice hand that's hard to misplay

outofstomach
07-28-2021, 03:59 AM
that’s true, but kawhi had to go through the three headed sixers (embiid, Simmons, butler) and then through the bucks (and they were literally down 2-0 if i recall correctly) pretty impressive run honestly

Spurs m8
07-28-2021, 04:03 AM

How was that at all impressive with KD and Klay out?

This forum is fvcking retarded hahahha

07-28-2021, 04:05 AM
The Warriors didnt have KD, but they still had Curry, Draymond & also Klay for most of the series

On the other hand the suns had Chris Paul in the lineup for the ENTIRE series

Axe
07-28-2021, 04:08 AM
that’s true, but kawhi had to go through the three headed sixers (embiid, Simmons, butler) and then through the bucks (and they were literally down 2-0 if i recall correctly) pretty impressive run honestly
That sixers team were nothing far impressive tho; no 55-win or more seasons, no top seeds at all until this year came and no conference finals trips in the last five years as well. But still, that never stopped one deluded kawhit stan in having the audacity to call them the so-called 'warriors of the east' lmao.

nayte
07-28-2021, 05:10 AM
Asterix rings are silly. You can only beat who is in front of you

07-28-2021, 05:34 AM
Asterix rings are silly. You can only beat who is in front of you

Okay sure. But the point of asterisks is "the win wasnt really all that impressive", I think. Is beating Chris Paul in the finals really all that impressive?

Spain_
07-28-2021, 05:45 AM
... Couldn't one argue this latest chip deserves one? I mean, no one's ever faced Chris paul in the finals before

Almost every ring has some sort of asterisk attached to it.
I don't think the one this year is particularly big.

07-28-2021, 05:47 AM
Almost every ring has some sort of asterisk attached to it.
I don't think the one this year is particularly big.

"Chris Paul on the other team" is a particularly big asterisk

k0kakw0rld
07-28-2021, 07:31 AM

There is already a thread about this. What is the point of creating multiple threads talking about the same topic? :confusedshrug:

nayte
07-28-2021, 08:02 AM
My point is that asterix are silly.. you don't agree that's fine.im not gonna argue that hard about this topic

07-28-2021, 08:23 AM
There is already a thread about this. What is the point of creating multiple threads talking about the same topic? :confusedshrug:

Theres a thread about this? Where

Full Court
07-28-2021, 11:22 PM
Injuries are part of the game. The only championship I put an asterisk on is last year's bubble shenanigans.

8Ball
07-29-2021, 12:00 AM
This Suns teams is better than 4/6 of Jordan's finals opponent.

So yes this ring has asterisk on it.

outofstomach
07-29-2021, 12:04 AM
This Suns teams is better than 4/6 of Jordan's finals opponent.

So yes this ring has asterisk on it.
because lebron couldn’t beat them?