PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Players

nineiron
07-27-2021, 12:02 PM
do ppl really think that players like KD, Kawhi, AD, Embiid, Giannis are going to be remembered 20 years from now?

the same could be said about Lebron, but the media is making sure that ppl remember him.

these players just don't have that "it" factor to be legendary. no one emulates them. they rely more on athleticism and size than actual skill. that's why they'll never be legends.

players like MJ, Bird, Magic, Kareem. now these are legendary players.

ShawkFactory
07-27-2021, 12:07 PM
do ppl really think that players like KD, Kawhi, AD, Embiid, Giannis are going to be remembered 20 years from now?

the same could be said about Lebron, but the media is making sure that ppl remember him.

these players just don't have that "it" factor to be legendary. no one emulates them. they rely more on athleticism and size than actual skill. that's why they'll never be legends.

And you. Good job, your entire schtick backfired.

nineiron
07-27-2021, 12:09 PM
And you. Good job, your entire schtick backfired.

sure, i'm making sure ppl remember him as a flopping, colluding, average skilled cry baby.

but the media is making him out to be the 2nd coming of MJ. which, we all know, couldn't be further from the truth.

72-10
07-27-2021, 12:23 PM
nothing like some legendarys

it's stupid and moronic to deny that they will

tontoz
07-27-2021, 12:43 PM
Today's players have the benefit of a lot more youtube clips of their games/highlights.

KD and Giannis have won the MVP and FMVP so they will definitely be legendary players. Not so sure about the other guys who are injury prone and have an incomplete resume for a legend.

Bankaii
07-27-2021, 12:58 PM
You used probably the 4 biggest names in basketball pre-2000 as your examples lmao.
KD, Steph, and possibly Giannis will be top 20 players by retirement.

You did all this for Lebron lol. The obsession is just comical at this point.

HoopsNY
07-27-2021, 01:00 PM

Why wouldn't they be remembered? They're the elite stars of today's game and guys like AD, Embiid, and Giannis have a long way to go. With modern medicine and technology continuously improving, I wouldn't be surprised if these guys retire at 40+.

AD is only 27 and plays for a historic franchise. He's already won a title, AS MVP, 4x All-Defense, 4x All-NBA, 8x All-Star. With another 12 seasons, he could end up with 8x All-Defensive, 8x All-NBA, and possibly a 16-18x All-Star.

Kawhi has 2 FMVPs, 2 Titles, 2 DPOY Awards, 7x All-Defensive selections, 5x All-NBA, 5x All-Star, and an AS MVP. He's only 29. What's he ending up with?

Giannis already has a title, 2 MVP Awards, 1 DPOY Award, 5x All-NBA, 4x All-Defensive, etc. And Giannis is only 26.

Embiid has just 4 years in the league.

These guys have a long way to go. Let us know where they stand in 10+ years. Chances are they'll all finish in the top 50.

nineiron
07-27-2021, 01:09 PM
Why wouldn't they be remembered? They're the elite stars of today's game and guys like AD, Embiid, and Giannis have a long way to go. With modern medicine and technology continuously improving, I wouldn't be surprised if these guys retire at 40+.

AD is only 27 and plays for a historic franchise. He's already won a title, AS MVP, 4x All-Defense, 4x All-NBA, 8x All-Star. With another 12 seasons, he could end up with 8x All-Defensive, 8x All-NBA, and possibly a 16-18x All-Star.

Kawhi has 2 FMVPs, 2 Titles, 2 DPOY Awards, 7x All-Defensive selections, 5x All-NBA, 5x All-Star, and an AS MVP. He's only 29. What's he ending up with?

Giannis already has a title, 2 MVP Awards, 1 DPOY Award, 5x All-NBA, 4x All-Defensive, etc. And Giannis is only 26.

Embiid has just 4 years in the league.

These guys have a long way to go. Let us know where they stand in 10+ years. Chances are they'll all finish in the top 50.

they just aren't legendary players. they don't have the "it" factor.

and the only thing LeBald will be remembered for is his colluding and flopping. oh, you can now add his garbage a$$ movie.

his highlight reel is literally a bunch of basic dunks and a few lucky broken jumpers. that's why they always have to fill his highlight reel with $hit like him tossing chalk or doing his gay a$$ handshakes and celebrations.

tontoz
07-27-2021, 01:17 PM

and the only thing LeBald will be remembered for is his colluding and flopping. oh, you can now add his garbage a$$ movie.

his highlight reel is literally a bunch of basic dunks and a few lucky broken jumpers. that's why they always have to fill his highlight reel with $hit like him tossing chalk or doing his gay a$$ handshakes and celebrations.

The problem is that you are comparing them to Bird, Magic and MJ. Those guys were iconic on a level that is hard to reach today.

I am not talking about just achievements but the social media age today exposes things that wouldn't get noticed or would be swept under the rug years ago. Bird had some off court issues (fighting, a daughter he never talked to) that would get a lot more scrutiny today. Ditto Michael with his gambling/roughness with teammates and Magic with his womanizing.

And1AllDay
07-27-2021, 01:22 PM

good luck passing it :oldlol:

https://i.postimg.cc/DyPm1N75/20210726113640.jpg

Hey Yo
07-27-2021, 01:26 PM

All those legendary players played on superteams. Magic couldn't shoot nor could he play defense.

ShawkFactory
07-27-2021, 01:32 PM

The person you responded to literally didn’t mention Lebron once in his post yet 90% of your response was about him :lol

nineiron
07-27-2021, 01:34 PM
The problem is that you are comparing them to Bird, Magic and MJ. Those guys were iconic on a level that is hard to reach today.

I am not talking about just achievements but the social media age today exposes things that wouldn't get noticed or would be swept under the rug years ago. Bird had some off court issues (fighting, a daughter he never talked to) that would get a lot more scrutiny today. Ditto Michael with his gambling/roughness with teammates and Magic with his womanizing.

i would say now, with social media, it's easier to push these fake 'legends' on us (eg. LeBron), making them seem better than they actually are.

the true legends (MJ, Bird, Magic, Kareem) were evaluated on their playing ability. that's it.

tontoz
07-27-2021, 01:51 PM
i would say now, with social media, it's easier to push these fake 'legends' on us (eg. LeBron), making them seem better than they actually are.

the true legends (MJ, Bird, Magic, Kareem) were evaluated on their playing ability. that's it.

Uhh..no. It was also about personality. That is why Kareem wasn't as popular as the other 3 even though he was arguably the most accomplished.

Lebron was crucified when he left Cleveland the first time. No way would it have been that bad back in the 80s. His twitter posts have worked against him in terms of popularity imo.

A players warts are more exposed today.

ShawkFactory
07-27-2021, 01:54 PM
Uhh..no. It was also about personality. That is why Kareem wasn't as popular as the other 3 even though arguably he was arguably the most accomplished.

Lebron was crucified when he left Cleveland. No way would it have been that bad back in the 80s. His twitter posts have worked against him in terms of popularity imo.

Seriously.

Let’s just assume he doesn’t win another ring. By the time he retires he’ll have:

4 rings
4 FMVPs
4 MVPs
20+ all star appearances
13x 1st team all NBA
All time leader in points
40k/10k/10k

Among other things..

And someone thinks that social media HELPS his case??? Fvck outta here :lol

Social media gives the haters an exponentially louder voice

And1AllDay
07-27-2021, 01:54 PM

cant fake 7631

baaaaaang!!!

:dancin

2ez

nineiron
07-27-2021, 01:56 PM
Uhh..no. It was also about personality. That is why Kareem wasn't as popular as the other 3 even though he was arguably the most accomplished.

Lebron was crucified when he left Cleveland the first time. No way would it have been that bad back in the 80s. His twitter posts have worked against him in terms of popularity imo.

first off, Larry Bird was never known to have a good personality. he was admired for his skill, success and work ethic.

Lebron was crucified because he went on national tv to boast about colluding. they had tv in the 80s too you know.

tontoz
07-27-2021, 02:01 PM
first off, Larry Bird was never known to have a good personality. he was admired for his skill, success and work ethic.

Lebron was crucified because he went on national tv to boast about colluding. they had tv in the 80s too you know.

I was watching in the 80s. I watched live when Bird was playing Magic in the NCAA finals.

Bird was the great white hope that turned around a franchise with his hard work and teamwork. He wasn't charismatic like Magic but he knew how to handle the press. The press loved the 'hick from French Lick' story.

They had TV in the 80s sure but no internet which magnifies everything exponentially. Dan Gilbert flipped out when Lebron left and wrote that hate piece about him which surely wouldn't have happened back in the 80s.

What would the response be like if Lebron was in a bar fight? There would surely be a cellphone vid about it and public condemnation. Barfights were pretty common for Bird.

nineiron
07-27-2021, 02:14 PM
I was watching in the 80s. I watched live when Bird was playing Magic in the NCAA finals.

Bird was the great white hope that turned around a franchise with his hard work and teamwork. He wasn't charismatic like Magic but he knew how to handle the press. The press loved the 'hick from French Lick' story.

They had TV in the 80s sure but no internet which magnifies everything exponentially. Dan Gilbert flipped out when Lebron left and wrote that hate piece about him which surely wouldn't have happened back in the 80s.

What would the response be like if Lebron was in a bar fight? There would surely be a cellphone vid about it and public condemnation. Barfights were pretty common for Bird.

tbh, i think his popularity might go up. he's known as being 'soft' and a flopper. this might actually help his image. but it won't happen because #LeCoward

tontoz
07-27-2021, 02:17 PM
tbh, i think his popularity might go up. he's known as being 'soft' and a flopper. this might actually help his image. but it won't happen because #LeCoward

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/g195/tontoz/Inside%20Hoops/.highres/snoophateradelogo.gif

HoopsNY
07-27-2021, 02:56 PM

Not to mention, I'm sure guys like Russell, Cousy, Wilt, West, Baylor, Oscar, etc were major in their time, but time goes on. In another 50 years, MJ, Bird, Magic, etc just won't be as big or as remembered.

Manny98
07-27-2021, 03:09 PM
Well there's only 3-4 players from every era that actually get remembered anyway

60s, Russell,Wilt,West
70s Kareem
80s Magic and Bird
90s Jordan, Pippen, Stockton, Hakeem
2000s Kobe,Shaq,Wade,Dirk, Duncan

nineiron
07-27-2021, 03:12 PM
Not to mention, I'm sure guys like Russell, Cousy, Wilt, West, Baylor, Oscar, etc were major in their time, but time goes on. In another 50 years, MJ, Bird, Magic, etc just won't be as big or as remembered.

the legends will always be remembered, the way other legends like Babe Ruth are remembered.

with the exception of Kobe and Shaq, i don't think any players after the MJ era will be considered legends.

tontoz
07-27-2021, 03:19 PM
Duncan will always be seen as a legend being arguably the best pf ever with 5 rings.

Steph will surely be seen as a legend with 2 MVPs, 3 rings and a closet full of 3 pt records. Best shooter ever by a wide margin. Really good golfer as well lol.

Lebron, come on man he will surely be seen as a legend.

KD and Giannis as mentioned earlier. I think Wade will be remembered as a legend as well. CP3 as well.

There will be others but those are the obvious ones over the last 20 years in addition to Shaq/Kobe.

07-27-2021, 03:22 PM
One guy who will be forgotten for sure is Lebron. As soon as he retires he will go live in a shack in Alaska and everybody will have him erased from their memories

nineiron
07-27-2021, 03:23 PM
Duncan will always be seen as a legend being arguably the best pf ever with 5 rings.

Steph will surely be seen as a legend with 2 MVPs, 3 rings and a closet full of 3 pt records. Best shooter ever by a wide margin. Really good golfer as well lol.

Lebron, come on man he will surely be seen as a legend.

KD and Giannis as mentioned earlier. I think Wade will be remembered as a legend as well. CP3 as well.

There will be others but those are the obvious ones over the last 20 years in addition to Shaq/Kobe.

no way. those guys you mention are popular now but they will be forgotten.

tontoz
07-27-2021, 03:30 PM

I am not so sure. Magic and Bird really gave birth to the modern NBA. The NBAs popularity exploded after they came in and went global with MJ. Even now MJ's popularity is incredible 20 years after his retirement. Other guys in that era might fade away but i think history will be kind to those 3.

The TV coverage before Bird/Magic was comically sparse.

SouBeachTalents
07-27-2021, 04:25 PM
The person you responded to literally didn’t mention Lebron once in his post yet 90% of your response was about him :lol
Not a surprise considering 99% of his posts are about him :lol

MaxPlayer
07-27-2021, 04:27 PM
How long until Lebron is no longer the most-discussed player in ISH? 10 years? 20?

nineiron
07-27-2021, 04:28 PM
How long until Lebron is no longer the most-discussed player in ISH? 10 years? 20?

as soon as he retires. there'll be nothing left to talk about. he'll be forgotten the same way that players like Wade, Carmello, CP3 will be forgotten.

07-27-2021, 04:31 PM
as soon as he retires. there'll be nothing left to talk about. he'll be forgotten the same way that players like Wade, Carmello, CP3 will be forgotten.

I agree. He will be so embarrassed that he will go live as a hermit in the Rocky Mountains

SouBeachTalents
07-27-2021, 04:31 PM
This is a legitimately good question. I honestly have no idea what the board will look like once he's retired. We had two semi realistic test runs of that, 2019 & this year when he missed the playoffs and lost in the first round, yet both years he was still by FAR the most talked about player through the playoffs :lol The night the Bucks won every single Giannis thread was really just about LeBron. So there's no telling if that will change once he's out of the league

nineiron
07-27-2021, 04:48 PM
This is a legitimately good question. I honestly have no idea what the board will look like once he's retired. We had two semi realistic test runs of that, 2019 & this year when he missed the playoffs and lost in the first round, yet both years he was still by FAR the most talked about player through the playoffs :lol The night the Bucks won every single Giannis thread was really just about LeBron. So there's no telling if that will change once he's out of the league

yeah because the ppl that LeB1tch pays to post these love letter threads about him were in full force.

sdot_thadon
07-27-2021, 05:07 PM

Yeah eff'n right, at bare minimum guys like you will still post religiously about him and prove your love to him in this odd school girl kind of way you do....

LAL
07-27-2021, 05:40 PM
He's going to provide us with a whole lot of dumb and embarrassing moments post retirement, going to be fun watching him go full train wreck with his constant frontrunning.

Axe
08-03-2021, 05:00 PM
3ball will always talk about him. Never mind if he's almost doxxed in an indirect way by someone who learned about the names of his family members and attempted to leak them out here.

k0kakw0rld
08-03-2021, 10:53 PM
sure, i'm making sure ppl remember him as a flopping, colluding, average skilled cry baby.

but the media is making him out to be the 2nd coming of MJ. which, we all know, couldn't be further from the truth.
AND WHO THE FK FOOLED YOU INTO BELIEVING THAT YOU HAD SOME KIND OF IMPACT IN THIS WORLD? LET ALONE IN THIS FORUM? Shut your punk ass up, bro.

John8204
02-06-2022, 12:03 AM
One of the things I do whenever I do lists or rankings is try and balance out eras, because people tend to be very biased about players they grew up watching. You also have to understand that greatness doesn't necessarily tie in with Legendary status...Willis Reed and Bill Walton are legends but they aren't all-time greats. Moses Malone was a better player than Shaq...but Shaq is a legend. John Stockton has become a bigger legend as the years have gone by than when he was actually playing the game. As for this generation in 30 years from now... for me the four guys we'll still remember are Lebron James, Seth Curry, Kevin Durant, and Chris Paul.

Axe
02-06-2022, 12:06 AM
One of the things I do whenever I do lists or rankings is try and balance out eras, because people tend to be very biased about players they grew up watching. You also have to understand that greatness doesn't necessarily tie in with Legendary status...Willis Reed and Bill Walton are legends but they aren't all-time greats. Moses Malone was a better player than Shaq...but Shaq is a legend. John Stockton has become a bigger legend as the years have gone by than when he was actually playing the game. As for this generation in 30 years from now... for me the four guys we'll still remember are Lebron James, Seth Curry, Kevin Durant, and Chris Paul.
Yup, shaq also had more finals mvp than one of his former teammates too.