https://youtu.be/I086UaZjlxo

But also….

https://youtu.be/FrUnlRAVIOI

Kblaze8855
07-27-2021, 07:17 PM
Followed by:

https://youtu.be/lIy8IUcbPJ0

Pretty good….right?

No conflicting opinions? Anyone feel a need to add a “Yea but…” or anything like that?

We can all rise and speak in one united voice of praise with no need for extra negative “context” or anything yes?

deathawaitu
07-27-2021, 11:19 PM
RIP Kobe

Those were the days when “scoring points” really mattered

Now a days everyone just stats padding, easy to score in a No D era

Airupthere
07-27-2021, 11:23 PM
His ability to make tough shots is better than michael. That I give kobe. And yes, amazing consecutive scoring performances.

bladefd
07-28-2021, 03:49 AM
Watched some of these games. That season was just bonkers. Was it the same season we took the Nash/Amare Suns to 7?? If we could have just closed out the series..

Axe
07-28-2021, 03:51 AM
RIP Kobe

Those were the days when “scoring points” really mattered

Now a days everyone just stats padding, easy to score in a No D era
You mean it's better to miss more shots than score higher in lesser attempts?

ArbitraryWater
07-28-2021, 05:28 AM
You mean it's better to miss more shots than score higher in lesser attempts?

:D

got eeeem

coastalmarker99
07-28-2021, 08:41 AM
Good lord the shots Kobe was hitting in those 4 straight 50 point games was insane.

Shogon
07-28-2021, 09:18 AM
Followed by:

https://youtu.be/lIy8IUcbPJ0

Pretty good….right?

No conflicting opinions? Anyone feel a need to add a “Yea but…” or anything like that?

We can all rise and speak in one united voice of praise with no need for extra negative “context” or anything yes?

The casual fan ignorant public that is so very attracted to individual scoring above all else is the precise reason why I found Kobe's career so unbearable.

I would have had much more appreciation for him as a player if he wasn't such a selfish asshole on the court. Now granted, I do have to admit there were a few teams in the middle of his career where him forcing it probably was his best option but he played most of his career on good teams and he still made it about him more often than he needed to.

I've never seen a player that forced bad basketball plays more than anyone in my entire life.

As for the cited clips? His scoring was unmatched during his era other than one or two seasons by a couple of guys. He was undoubtedly the best scorer of a generation.

Shogon
07-28-2021, 09:25 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/89/89/36/898936b90ec61709b290dd984d6787f5.jpg

This is basically my issue with his game, in a nutshell. And clips like the ones you posted will always be remembered the most because they made the most impression on the human psyche... because they were indeed ****ing amazing games. Meanwhile most of his games were no where near that impressive and he shot at much worse percentages due to him forcing it so very much.

And what a shame, too, because he was clearly one of the best scorers and best basketball players ever, but he could have been even better.

Kobe's career could basically be a case study on basic human psychology and the lasting impact of supercharged emotions, to be perfectly blunt about it.

coastalmarker99
07-28-2021, 09:25 AM
The casual fan ignorant public that is so very attracted to individual scoring above all else is the precise reason why I found Kobe's career so unbearable.

I've never seen a player that forced bad basketball plays more than anyone in my entire life.

As for the cited clips? His scoring was unmatched during his era other than one or two seasons by a couple of guys. He was undoubtedly the best scorer of a generation.

2000 Lakers: #1 in the league in team passer rating
2001 Lakers: #1 in the league in team passer rating
2002 Lakers: #1 in the league in team passer rating
2003 Lakers: #3 in the league in team passer rating
2004 Lakers: #1 in the league in team passer rating
2006 Lakers: #4 in the league in team passer rating
2007 Lakers: #3 in the league in team passer rating
2008 Lakers: #1 in the league in team passer rating
2009 Lakers: #2 in the league in team passer rating

"Hero ball" Nice hyperbole, buddy.

It must have been so tough to watch the second best SG of all-time play on the best passing teams in the league while winning a bunch of rings against incredible competition. That must have been sooooooo hard.

Kblaze8855
07-28-2021, 09:33 AM

So you missed all the 17 seconds on the clock stepback 27 footers the last few years?

Shogon
07-28-2021, 09:36 AM
So you missed all the 17 seconds on the clock stepback 27 footers the last few years?

If you're talking about Harden specifically I'm pretty sure he was asked to play that way by D'Antoni.

Kblaze8855
07-28-2021, 09:36 AM

It must have been so tough to watch the second best SG of all-time play on the best passing teams in the league while winning a bunch of rings against incredible competition. That must have been sooooooo hard.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DistortedRingedBunny-size_restricted.gif

^
Existed.

Kblaze8855
07-28-2021, 09:37 AM
If you're talking about Harden specifically I'm pretty sure he was asked to play that way by D'Antoni.

Im talking about the nba in general….though a lot of the stars are worse. Shot selection has never been wilder. Role players take shots as audacious as anything Kobe was likely to do.

Shogon
07-28-2021, 09:38 AM

Nice boxscores read, lmao.

It must so be tough to pretend you watched his career.

Jasper
07-28-2021, 10:00 AM
OP - thanks for reminding me what a ball hog can do. :banghead:... lmao

Shogon
07-28-2021, 10:09 AM
Im talking about the nba in general….though a lot of the stars are worse. Shot selection has never been wilder. Role players take shots as audacious as anything Kobe was likely to do.

I don't think that's true. Maybe sometimes but as a general rule of thumb Kobe would dribble around/through 4 people and still shoot the ball. That doesn't happen that much in today's NBA and it never really happened that I know of prior to Kobe.

Yes, you can post clips of it happening today for sure, the Steph dribbling back behind the three point line after penetrating and dribbling around guys comes to mind, but it's not at the same frequency from one guy. Kobe used to contort his body all sorts of wild ways trying to get contested shots up and he did it ALL the time. Nobody does that in today's game at that rate.

Kblaze8855
07-28-2021, 10:13 AM
That doesnt happen? Have you ever seen Harden or Luka play? And it isn’t all how you set up the shot. We literally see nobodies taking stepback 25 footers too often to even remark on it. Guys run to the 3 point line on 4 on 1 fast breaks down 2. It’s just stupid. Kobe was more selective than a lot of guys now. He took tough shots but the number “Wtf?” benchable shots he took wasn’t exceptional by todays standard. He just took his from different spots on the floor.

Kblaze8855
07-28-2021, 10:18 AM
Yes, you can post clips of it happening today for sure, the Steph dribbling back behind the three point line after penetrating and dribbling around guys comes to mind, but it's not at the same frequency from one guy. Kobe used to contort his body all sorts of wild ways trying to get contested shots up and he did it ALL the time. Nobody does that in today's game at that rate.

I’m not even gonna go into the bigtime stars taking bullshit shots. I’ll just use one guy from my team.

https://youtu.be/tl3nJm4riDk

Just watch like 1 minute of that for me.

Shogon
07-28-2021, 10:25 AM
That doesnt happen? Have you ever seen Harden or Luka play? And it isn’t all how you set up the shot. We literally see nobodies taking stepback 25 footers too often to even remark on it. Guys run to the 3 point line on 4 on 1 fast breaks down 2. It’s just stupid. Kobe was more selective than a lot of guys now. He took tough shots but the number “Wtf?” benchable shots he took wasn’t exceptional by todays standard. He just took his from different spots on the floor.

I'm not talking about tough shots like stepback 25 footers, as you put it. I'm talking about forcing shots up with 2 or 3 defenders draped over you from midrange or further. Don't even tell me that Kobe wasn't the king of that shit, come on now.

Step backs at least create some space and get you semi open. Kobe would have people literally draped on him making body to body contact and shoot fadeaways from that far out while spinning wildly. No that is not something that is replicated as much in today's NBA.

Airupthere
07-28-2021, 10:26 AM
I’m not even gonna go into the bigtime stars taking bullshit shots. I’ll just use one guy from my team.

https://youtu.be/tl3nJm4riDk

Just watch like 1 minute of that for me.

Lavine's game, to me looks like Tatum's. They're both lacking and look amateurish at times. Can't believe the stats these guys are putting up even if that is the case. Also, absurd that both are all stars.

LAL
07-28-2021, 10:37 AM
I'm not talking about tough shots like stepback 25 footers, as you put it. I'm talking about forcing shots up with 2 or 3 defenders draped over you from midrange or further. Don't even tell me that Kobe wasn't the king of that shit, come on now.

Step backs at least create some space and get you semi open. Kobe would have people literally draped on him making body to body contact and shoot fadeaways from that far out while spinning wildly. No that is not something that is replicated as much in today's NBA.

He mostly did that at the end of the shot clock or those 2 seasons with smush and kwame, who better than Kobe to do that anyway when you have to shoot it, it's what made him entertaining. Guys like lebron would've passed that shit. :sleeping

His shot selection was great, very high iq in general, especially when he had a squad, it was aggressive, direct and smart, it won many many games for the Lakers. But some people think saving your fg% and leaving difficult shots to your superstar teammates is smart shot selection for some reason. It's not, that's bad selection.

Shogon
07-28-2021, 10:41 AM
He mostly did that at the end of the shot clock or those 2 seasons with smush and kwame, who better than Kobe to do that anyway when you have to shoot it, it's what made him entertaining. Guys like lebron would've passed that shit. :sleeping

His shot selection was great, very high iq in general, especially when he had a squad, it was aggressive, direct and smart, it won many many games for the Lakers. But some people think saving your fg% and leaving difficult shots to your superstar teammates is smart shot selection for some reason. It's not, that's bad selection.

Kobe played regardless of efficiency. LeBron plays too much for efficiency. Neither were entirely correct. They were both correct and incorrect, at times, given context.

Kobe did not have super high IQ shot selection as a general rule of thumb for his career, that is absolute bullshit.

LAL
07-28-2021, 10:42 AM
Bronsexuals absolutely ruined this thread. Bad bad look.

Shogon
07-28-2021, 10:43 AM
Bronsexuals absolutely ruined this thread. Bad bad look.

You're a ****ing moron and you're the one that brought up LeBron. Goodbye, you utter dipshit.

LAL
07-28-2021, 10:44 AM
Kobe played regardless of efficiency. LeBron plays too much for efficiency. Neither were entirely correct. They were both correct and incorrect, at times, given context.

Kobe did not have super high IQ shot selection as a general rule of thumb for his career, that is absolute bullshit.

I don't know if kobe played "regardless of efficiency"... I think he definitely just tried to.. score whenever he shot, you know.

Edit: You're wrong, Kobe did have super high IQ shot selection believe it or not.

Wally450
07-28-2021, 11:48 AM
That was a sight to see when I was getting into basketball. Shame the rest of his team was ass.

FKAri
07-28-2021, 12:31 PM

I would have had much more appreciation for him as a player if he wasn't such a selfish asshole on the court. Now granted, I do have to admit there were a few teams in the middle of his career where him forcing it probably was his best option but he played most of his career on good teams and he still made it about him more often than he needed to.

He was a bit selfish but there have been much worse. He did force his shots and plays more than one would like but nothing too egregious imho. But his hero ball playstyle attracted some overzealous fans who acted like he walked on water. A similar thing happened with Iverson.

MadDog
07-28-2021, 12:32 PM
Kobe had questionable shot selection, and often wavered from the team offense. I think he had a pretty good balance in 2009 and 2010, the years he led the Lakers to championships. Sure, Kobe still took bad shots, but he had a healthy diet of them when his teams weren't competing. Greatest tough shot maker in history though. I'll give him that.

LAL
07-28-2021, 12:39 PM
He was a bit selfish but there have been much worse. He did force his shots and plays more than one would like but nothing too egregious imho. But his hero ball playstyle attracted some overzealous fans who acted like he walked on water. A similar thing happened with Iverson.

But Kobe has 5 rings, it wasn't just stylish and shit.. Would you have compared Iverson to someone as succesful as Duncan for example?

LAL
07-28-2021, 12:44 PM
Kobe had questionable shot selection, and often wavered from the team offense. I think he had a pretty good balance in 2009 and 2010, the years he led the Lakers to championships. Sure, Kobe still took bad shots, but he had a healthy diet of them when his teams weren't competing. Greatest tough shot maker in history though. I'll give him that.

Wavered from team offense? Imagine lebron giving up a lot of his stats for a triangle offense, 10 years.

Lebron can play ghetto ball all he wants, but Kobe should have never wavered from his team offense sometimes.

MadDog
07-28-2021, 12:45 PM
Wavered from team offense? Imagine lebron giving up a lot of his stats for a triangle offense, 10 years.

Lebron can play ghetto ball all he wants, but Kobe should have never wavered from his team offense sometimes.

LeBron IS the offense, which is why he's got a shit finals record. No argument there.

LAL
07-28-2021, 01:24 PM
LeBron IS the offense, which is why he's got a shit finals record. No argument there.

Thought you were one of those bronstans.. my bad bro.

FKAri
07-28-2021, 04:28 PM
But Kobe has 5 rings, it wasn't just stylish and shit.. Would you have compared Iverson to someone as succesful as Duncan for example?

I specifically picked Iverson because he wasn't as successful as Kobe to demonstrate how success has little to do with the type of fans a player attracts. It's the playstyle and personality that matters. Kobe was a great player and every great player has overzealous fans but Kobe's are disproportionately higher. Ditto for Lebron. Both have fans that overrate and worship them. Though Kobe has the most of anyone I've come across. And Duncan? Opposite end of the spectrum.