PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook is the WORST volume jumpshooter in the NBA

StrongLurk
07-29-2021, 09:23 PM
For the past five years.

Straight up, dead last in the NBA for any volume jump shooters (at least 2,000 jump shots), polling at just a 41.8 eFG...LOL what are the Lakers thinking? They are already bottom five in shooting and they actually got rid of KCP in the trade :roll:

Westbrook is a FAR cry from his 2017 version, wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't play more than 15-20mpg in the playoffs (dude is making 44 Mil a year).

RRR3
07-29-2021, 09:24 PM
Pelinka is the worst GM I’ve ever seen. 37 year old LeBron, 33 year old WB and no spacing? Poor AD.

StrongLurk
07-29-2021, 09:25 PM
Pelinka is the worst GM I’ve ever seen. 37 year old LeBron, 33 year old WB and no spacing? Poor AD.

Are they still keeping Schroeder? That would legit be hilarous.

warriorfan
07-29-2021, 09:33 PM

There’s no way they did this move without LeBron putting it in motion or at the very least signing off on it.

imdaman99
07-29-2021, 09:35 PM
He's gonna post up hopefully. Get rid of that butt ugly one footed fadeaway.

RRR3
07-29-2021, 09:36 PM
There’s no way they did this move without LeBron putting it in motion or at the very least signing off on it.
Why would you think that? When LeBron had control in Cleveland he consistently targeted shooters. I don’t think he’s had any control in LA, and why would he? They’re not desperate to appease him like Cleveland was.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-29-2021, 09:38 PM
Lebron drives and kicks to Westbrook for a corner 3 pointer

That would be weird watching hahahaha

bison
07-29-2021, 09:39 PM
Lebronze and Westbrook teaming up. Lakers finna set triple double records :bowdown:

SouBeachTalents
07-29-2021, 09:40 PM
I can't imagine a team not consulting LeBron on a franchise altering move like this. I also can't imagine LeBron signing off on Westbrook to join a team that had already woefully inept spacing and shooting. LeBron's BBIQ seems too high for me to believe he wouldn't see what a horrendous fit Westbrook would be alongside him and for the Lakers in general. Though I guess Jordan's tenure proves players don't always make the best GM's

BigShotBob
07-29-2021, 09:43 PM
Lebron drives and kicks to Westbrook for a corner 3 pointer

That would be weird watching hahahaha

:roll::roll::roll:

BAN--Brick!!

HBK_Kliq_2
07-29-2021, 09:44 PM
I can't imagine a team not consulting LeBron on a franchise altering move like this. I also can't imagine LeBron signing off on Westbrook to join a team that had already woefully inept spacing and shooting. LeBron's BBIQ seems too high for me to believe he wouldn't see what a horrendous fit Westbrook would be alongside him and for the Lakers in general. Though I guess Jordan's tenure proves players don't always make the best GM's

Ball dominant, good passers, not great shooters, great athletes

Westbrook is lebron you idiot. Of course lebron signed off on it.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-29-2021, 09:45 PM
:roll::roll::roll:

BAN--Brick!!

There goes lebron championship window hahahah

tontoz
07-29-2021, 09:46 PM
While that's true about Russ' jumper, when he limits his jumpers he is still effective. It looked at times this year that he was getting the memo.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-29-2021, 09:48 PM
LA might not a win a title, but barring injury they wont be a terrible fit.

Russ can play of the basketball and did it with Harden. LA need shooters and MUST stay healthy. Easier said than done, but its doable.

StrongLurk
07-29-2021, 09:50 PM
LA might not a win a title, but barring injury they wont be a terrible fit.

Russ can play of the basketball and did it with Harden. LA need shooters and MUST stay healthy. Easier said than done, but its doable.

Westbrook in the playoffs with Harden.

18/7/5 on 42/24/53 splits. He was trash with Harden, was left wide open by 5-10 feet and would still brick.

Also, Lakers traded away their best shooter, KCP LOL.

So far, they've managed to get worse two years in a row.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-29-2021, 10:00 PM
Westbrook in the playoffs with Harden.

18/7/5 on 42/24/53 splits. He was trash with Harden, was left wide open by 5-10 feet and would still brick.

Also, Lakers traded away their best shooter, KCP LOL.

So far, they've managed to get worse two years in a row.

Minus the poor shooting, those are standard second option numbers.

Heck, it looks like a Pippen line. :lol

One playoff run and 8 games isn't enough for me to say dude was TRASH. in the regular-season, Brook averaged 27-8-7 on 47%FG. Bron is a better facilitator than Harden and one of the GOAT playmakers. I'm going to say Russ will play better with Bron/AD than just Beard.

StrongLurk
07-29-2021, 10:12 PM
Minus the poor shooting, those are standard second option numbers.

Heck, it looks like a Pippen line. :lol

One playoff run and 8 games isn't enough for me to say dude was TRASH. in the regular-season, Brook averaged 27-8-7 on 47%FG. Bron is a better facilitator than Harden and one of the GOAT playmakers. I'm going to say Russ will play better with Bron/AD than just Beard.

That might be close to standard second option for the 90's, but not the current NBA at all lol. The playoff are what matter, not regular season. Also the Rockets literally had the most spacing in the league to help Westbrook...and he still couldn't play well when it mattered.

How is he going to play with bottom 5-8 spacing in the entire league? Not well obviously.

His best bet is to become a PURE Point Guard...I'm talking like Rondo/Stockton shit.

He needs to be taking less than ten shots per game, most of which should be at the rim.

StrongLurk
07-29-2021, 10:14 PM
Westbrook in the playoffs the last three years.

20/8/8 on 37.9/27.6/73.3

He is terrible as a first option and doesn't have the necessary skill set AT ALL to be a third option on a contender.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-29-2021, 10:19 PM
That might be close to standard second option for the 90's, but not the current NBA at all lol. The playoff are what matter, not regular season. Also the Rockets literally had the most spacing in the league to help Westbrook...and he still couldn't play well when it mattered.

How is he going to play with bottom 5-8 spacing in the entire league? Not well obviously.

His best bet is to become a PURE Point Guard...I'm talking like Rondo/Stockton shit.

He needs to be taking less than ten shots per game, most of which should be at the rim.

All of it matters. I mean, Toronto won 2 years ago with Lowry averaging 15/7/5 on 44%FG.

If Westbrook was 'trash', then what was Lowry? One step away from garbage? :lol You're throwing around these labels too casually. Don't think he becomes a 'pure' point guard, but we'll see.

If the Lakers cant sign shooters, I might agree. We both know they're not done filling out their roster.

RRR3
07-29-2021, 10:20 PM
All of it matters. I mean, Toronto won 2 years ago with Lowry averaging 15/7/5 on 44%FG.

If Westbrook was 'trash', then what was Lowry? One step away from garbage? :lol You're throwing around these labels too casually. Don't think he becomes a 'pure' point guard, but we'll see.

If the Lakers cant sign shooters, I might agree. We both know they're not done filling out their roster.
It’s not about the numbers. Lowry has to be guarded. You don’t leave him open.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-29-2021, 10:22 PM
It’s not about the numbers. Lowry has to be guarded. You don’t leave him open.

Westbrook doesn't have to be guarded? Wait, what?

RRR3
07-29-2021, 10:23 PM
Westbrook doesn't have to be guarded? Wait, what?
He doesn’t have to be guarded for jumpers. Sure he has to be guarded in the paint but that’s where Bron and AD operate already.

StrongLurk
07-29-2021, 10:23 PM

Bro, using FG%? Really? In 2021?

Come on man, make a real argument.

Lowry and Van Fleet shot the three ball really well against the Warriors. Also, Siakam was the second best player on the Raptors in those finals. FIT is really important, Westbrook had more raw talent than Lowry but he is low IQ and is the worst volume shooter in the league.

And most important of all, we all know Warriors win that ring on low difficulty of KD/Klay are healthy.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-29-2021, 10:39 PM
He doesn’t have to be guarded for jumpers. Sure he has to be guarded in the paint but that’s where Bron and AD operate already.

You have to guard him, period.

I'm not leaving Westbrook open on the perimeter. If he's relegated to being a spot-up shooter, that would be different. That what you think he's going to be?

Bro, using FG%? Really? In 2021?

Come on man, make a real argument.

Lowry and Van Fleet shot the three ball really well against the Warriors. Also, Siakam was the second best player on the Raptors in those finals. FIT is really important, Westbrook had more raw talent than Lowry but he is low IQ and is the worst volume shooter in the league.

And most important of all, we all know Warriors win that ring on low difficulty of KD/Klay are healthy.

You're going on about FG%, but his entire statline was average at best. :lol

15/7/5 is nothing to brag about. In the 90s or modern day. Westbrook is also going to be a third option, not a second. I'm not going to pretend LA is done with their roster, so time will tell.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-29-2021, 10:42 PM

Only kawhi can win with role players like Lowry.

Lebron needs #1 draft picks like Irving/Davis or finals mvp superstars like wade.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-29-2021, 10:43 PM
You have to guard him, period.

I'm not leaving Westbrook open on the perimeter. If he's relegated to being a spot-up shooter, that would be different. That what you think he's going to be?

You're going on about FG%, but his entire statline was average at best. :lol

15/7/5 is nothing to brag about. In the 90s or modern day. Westbrook is also going to be a third option, not a second. I'm not going to pretend LA is done with their roster, so time will tell.

Don't forget Lowry's embarrassing 18% usage for the entire playoffs hahaha and in the 76ers series it was like 15% hahahaha

He wasn't doing much of anything out there when compared to kawhi.

coastalmarker99
07-29-2021, 10:57 PM
The Lakers aren't going to acquire any playable shooters after they complete this Westbrook trade.

They'll find a couple of unplayable liabilities and call it a day like they did in 2020 with Troy Daniels and Quinn Cook. Then when they inevitably can't stay on the floor Vogel will be forced to sub in guys who don't provide enough spacing.

Way to destroy the remainder of LeBron's title window Pelinka you clown. Every year it's the same sh*t with this Lakers org

How is anybody with a job in the NBA this stupid? You have two of the most dominant interior scorers ever and you fail to get them sufficient spacing 4 years in a row?

bladefd
07-29-2021, 10:58 PM
How Lakers defended Westbrook last playoffs:
https://i.redd.it/9b82u6nhc8e71.jpg

Westbrook shot 26% from the 3, 42% overall, 54% from ft line (21 turnovers to 25 assists) while being left wide open...

And that's the guy we give up all of our remaining assets for and will pay him 44mill this upcoming season, 47mill next year :facepalm

I don't even know what to say.. Wizards were brilliant by flipping the pick we gave them with Indy

StrongLurk
07-29-2021, 11:03 PM
How Lakers defended Westbrook last playoffs:
https://i.redd.it/9b82u6nhc8e71.jpg

Westbrook shot 26% from the 3, 42% overall, 54% from ft line...

And that's the guy we give up all of our remaining assets for and will pay him 44mill this upcoming season, 47mill next year :facepalm

Kuniva seems to think teams HAVE to guard Westbrook on the perimeter lol.

What a horrible take. Westbrook is literally the worst volume jumpshooter in the NBA for the past five years, especially the past three years.

He'll be left wide open while teams stick hard to Lebron/AD, and he'll continue to brick wide open shots more than anybody in the NBA.

coastalmarker99
07-29-2021, 11:08 PM

What a horrible take. Westbrook is literally the worst volume jumpshooter in the NBA for the past five years, especially the past three years.

He'll be left wide open while teams stick hard to Lebron/AD, and he'll continue to brick wide open shots more than anybody in the NBA.

:applause:

You get it.

As a Lakers fan, this trade makes me feel livid.

Bill Reiter (CBS Sports) on the Russell Westbrook trade: There was a strong level of disagreement within that Lakers organization about whether or not Russ was the person they needed to pursue.

Im Still Ballin
07-29-2021, 11:09 PM

It really depends on how LA rounds out their roster. If they can somehow work Hield into that trade, that's huge.

There’s definitely a blueprint for Russ in LA working. The skill sets can work together. The way those skill sets are utilized, how LA fills out the roster, and how scheme and tendencies play out will make or break LA’s title chances.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-29-2021, 11:11 PM
You're exposing yourself, Lurk. Before putting your foot in your mouth, at least wait until LA fills out.

If Brook is setting up the offense, and has the ball on the perimeter, why would you leave him open? I'm not letting him drive and kick. Catch and shooting is completely different.

You fools seem to think a second option equals a third. The coverage on Westbrook will be more lax, everywhere on the court.

bladefd
07-29-2021, 11:12 PM

Exactly what I said on Lakers reddit to my fellow Lakers fans, but nobody is listening. They just see the star-power of Westbrook without trying to think critically.. We lost our best shooter in kcp (his solid perimeter defense too) and don't have shooters on the roster. Had we gotten Buddy Hield too then there might be a chance of figuring it out. Instead, we gave up everything we had for Westbrook..

coastalmarker99
07-29-2021, 11:13 PM
Exactly what I said on Lakers reddit to my fellow Lakers fans, but nobody is listening. They just see the star-power of Westbrook without trying to think critically.. We lost our best shooter in kcp (his solid perimeter defense too) and don't have shooters on the roster. Had we gotten Buddy Hield too then there might be a chance of figuring it out. Instead, we gave up everything we had for Westbrook..

It really is like Pelinka is a casual fan who saw the name Russell Westbrook and thought wow he’s a star we should get him! The Lakers imo benefitted from hot streaks from several players in the bubble. You had AD shooting 38% from 3. Morris at 42%, Bron at 37%, KCP at 38%, Rondo at 40%.

They were 23rd in the league in 3 point percentage in 2020 during the regular season. So, even then they were a bad shooting team, KCP’s gone, and Bron is two years older. Everyone knows how deadly LeBron is with proper spacing. Everyone other than Rob Pelinka, apparently. Someone tell him it’s 2021 and teams shoot 3s nowadays.

Im Still Ballin
07-29-2021, 11:14 PM
It really is like Pelinka is a casual fan who saw the name Russell Westbrook and thought wow he’s a star we should get him! The Lakers imo benefitted from hot streaks from several players in the bubble. You had AD shooting 38% from 3. Morris at 42%, Bron at 37%, KCP at 38%, Rondo at 40%.

They were 23rd in the league in 3 point percentage in 2020 during the regular season. So, even then they were a bad shooting team, KCP’s gone, and Bron is two years older. Everyone knows how deadly LeBron is with proper spacing. Everyone other than Rob Pelinka, apparently. Someone tell him it’s 2021 and teams shoot 3s nowadays.

Lakers shot essentially the same in the playoffs as they did in the regular season in 2020.

StrongLurk
07-29-2021, 11:15 PM
It really depends on how LA rounds out their roster. If they can somehow work Hield into that trade, that's huge.

There’s definitely a blueprint for Russ in LA working. The skill sets can work together. The way those skill sets are utilized, how LA fills out the roster, and how scheme and tendencies play out will make or break LA’s title chances.

If it was Russ/Lebron switching between ball handling to post play, and having AD on different spots on the court, it could work IF THE LAKERS HAD A TON OF SHOOTING FILLING OUT THE REST OF THE ROSTER.

But, they might actually be the worst three point shooting team in the league now and also don't have ANY rim protection outside of AD.

The 2020 Lakers were devastating because they had just enough shooting to space the floor, a team that allowed Lebron/AD to maximize touches (no Schroeder/Westbrook taking the ball away for long stretches) and they had elite rim protectors in Dwight/Javale. Their team mix was a very good combo...but what they have now is a frankenstein of nonsense.

coastalmarker99
07-29-2021, 11:17 PM
If it was Russ/Lebron switching between ball handling to post play, and having AD on different spots on the court, it could work IF THE LAKERS HAD A TON OF SHOOTING FILLING OUT THE REST OF THE ROSTER.

But, they might actually be the worst three point shooting team in the league now and also don't have ANY rim protection outside of AD.

The 2020 Lakers were devastating because they had just enough shooting to space the floor, a team that allowed Lebron/AD to maximize touches (no Schroeder/Westbrook taking the ball away for long stretches) and they had elite rim protectors in Dwight/Javale. Their team mix was a very good combo...but what they have now is a frankenstein of nonsense.

People keep saying the AD/Westbrook pick and roll/pop will be deadly, why? If I'm a team, I'm going under the screens every time

Im Still Ballin
07-29-2021, 11:21 PM

Marc Gasol is still under contract; he was, statistically speaking, one of the top rim protectors this season.

They can look to sign a backup center in the mold of Javale or Dwight. Who knows, we'll see.

StrongLurk
07-29-2021, 11:22 PM
People keep saying the AD/Westbrook pick and roll/pop will be deadly, why? If I'm a team, I'm going under the screens every time

Lol yeah easily go under. Westbrook is a terrible scorer at this point of his career.

He still have very good passing/playmaking ability, but I fear he is too dumb/aggressive to ever play to his strengths at this point and play like a pure PG (like Rondo/Stockton-esque).

RRR3
07-29-2021, 11:24 PM

37% really isn’t that much of a hot streak for LeBron but fair point on the others. But yeah Pelinka is the most inept GM in memory.

Im Still Ballin
07-29-2021, 11:26 PM
You guys are analyzing this situation too generically. Nuance of skillset, scheme, and lineups matter. It's hard to make an accurate assessment without seeing how their roster fills out.

Like I said: we'll see.

RRR3
07-29-2021, 11:32 PM
You guys are analyzing this situation too generically. Nuance of skillset, scheme, and lineups matter. It's hard to make an accurate assessment without seeing how their roster fills out.

Like I said: we'll see.
I was right about Drummond and I’ll be right about this too.

imdaman99
07-29-2021, 11:33 PM
Too many nerds talking about go under the screen. I'm sure they were doing that for Westbrook and Steven Adams as well amirite? :lol AD will be the best big man Westbrook has ever played with. He makes big men better, and now he finally has a stud.

Im Still Ballin
07-29-2021, 11:41 PM
I was right about Drummond and I’ll be right about this too.

Drummond showed value at times, but he was very inconsistent. We didn't really get to see him playing with AD and LeBron much, due to injuries. His raw stats with them looked good; he was also solid alongside AD against Phoenix in the playoffs.

But, I don't see him as starting center, neither a backup. To me, he's a deep rotation specialist. A guy I'd have stashed away for injuries and rare matchup purposes. His offensive rebounding is truly elite, and can cause havok in the right circumstance.

His biggest problem was that he took minutes from Gasol.

HBK_Kliq_2
07-29-2021, 11:42 PM
In theory, Westbrook actually compliments Durant perfectly and Irving compliments lebron perfects.

Them trying this wife swap may be a huge bust. Irving wasn't exactly playing well with Durant in that 2nd round before his injury either.

Druckenmiller
07-30-2021, 12:07 AM
Westbrook has perfected the art of the junkshot.

Axe
07-30-2021, 12:12 AM
It'll be interesting to watch how he'll garner triple doubles in the upcoming season.

tpols
07-30-2021, 12:25 AM
This is gonna be beautiful. :lol

The crazy thing is, if enough chips fall their way they could win. If 5-6 other superstars all get hurt and AD and Lebron remain healthy they can overcome Westbrook.

Marchesk
07-30-2021, 12:45 AM
Are they still keeping Schroeder? That would legit be hilarous.

What, you don't like a lineup of Westbrook, Schroeder, Lebron, AD and Drummond?

RRR3
07-30-2021, 12:57 AM
What, you don't like a lineup of Westbrook, Schroeder, Lebron, AD and Drummond?
No one earth likes that lineup besides Pelinka.

coastalmarker99
07-30-2021, 01:27 AM
Reminder: Among the top 100 P&R ball handlers last season, defences went under Westbrook ball screens 4th most frequently (right behind Ben Simmons).

That'll make life hard for AD as a screener to get open.

Russ' playoff P&R efficiency has been bottom 20% 4 of the past 5 years.

I don’t think it’ll go too well

RRR3
07-30-2021, 01:29 AM
Reminder: Among the top 100 P&R ball handlers last season, defences went under Westbrook ball screens 4th most frequently (right behind Ben Simmons).

That'll make life hard for AD as a screener to get open.

Russ' playoff P&R efficiency has been bottom 20% 4 of the past 5 years.

I don’t think it’ll go too well
No one who understands modern basketball thinks it’ll go well. Unfortunately for Lakers fans, Pelinka has proven he doesn’t understand modern basketball one iota.

ZenMaster
07-30-2021, 07:16 AM
Still a decent chance that Hield comes for the two guard spot.

This trade will work though as long as Lebron and AD play a lot at the 4 and 5, though it's not a perfect fit.