PDA

View Full Version : They weren't wrong technically westbrook didn't average a triple double

Bronbron23
07-30-2021, 10:27 PM
Yeah yeah i know. Sorry to do this but he didn't. It be the same as someone in hockey if they scored 246 goals in a season. That would average out to three goals a game but it wouldn't mean they averaged a hat trick. This is because a hat trick like a triple double becomes 1 unit. In an 82 game schedule if you had 41 hat tricks or triple-doubles that means you would of averaged .5 tripple doubles on the season. For you to a average a tripple double for the season you'd have to get a tripple double every game because you can only get 1 triple-double in a game. You can't get more so the only way to average a(1) triple double a game is to get a tripple double every game. This would apply to any accomplishment that can only have a value of 1. In boxing you can only get one knockout. The only way to average a knockout is to get a knockout in every fight.

Yes it's semantics and yes it's being super literal to the point of annoyance but technically it's true. Just sayin :oldlol:

07-31-2021, 05:27 AM
Yeah. If you score 29 points in a game, its completely impossible to average 30 ppg for the season. Same logic applies here

HylianNightmare
07-31-2021, 06:07 AM
Not this again

RRR3
07-31-2021, 06:07 AM
Oh god

dirkdiggler41
07-31-2021, 06:45 AM
Well, he averaged a hat trick a game, but he did not have a hat trick every game. If he had a hattrick every game, they would not use the word average, but they would say he had a hat trick every game.

Manny98
07-31-2021, 07:44 AM
:facepalm

meat
07-31-2021, 08:02 AM
You're just arguing semantics. You're so much smarter than everyone!!! Good lord you are dumb.

Shogon
07-31-2021, 08:43 AM
OP is probably trolling but whatever.

It's true.

Triple doubles are binary events. They either happen, or they don't. The value is 1 or the value is 0. As ridiculous as it sounds, you would have to get a triple double in every single game you play in order to average a triple double, because it is a binary event, and the maximum number of triple doubles per game you can get is only 1.

Yeah. If you score 29 points in a game, its completely impossible to average 30 ppg for the season. Same logic applies here

It's not the same thing. Singular points are binary events. Triple doubles are binary events. The key difference is you can score more than 1 point per game, whereas with a triple double you can only obtain 1 per game. If you were to say... soandso averaged a 30 point game(a singular event), that would be a distinct difference from saying... that he averaged 30 points per game(multiple singular events per game).

Russell Westbrook's regular season averages were the equivalent of the prerequisite to obtain a singular triple double. But he didn't average a triple double. His averages in the three stats were the equivalent of a singular triple double.

A key difference.

Anyone who doesn't get it, I don't have time to explain it further to you. You are stupid. I'm sorry.

07-31-2021, 09:05 AM
Explain to me right now, how a "30 point game" is any different from "scoring 30 points in a game"

You retarded loser

07-31-2021, 09:14 AM
Well, he averaged a hat trick a game, but he did not have a hat trick every game. If he had a hattrick every game, they would not use the word average, but they would say he had a hat trick every game.

:applause:

Psileas
07-31-2021, 09:17 AM
Well, going by that "binary logic", it's also technically wrong to claim that the vast majority of NBA players have even scored per average, since almost all of them have had at least a scoreless game, bringing even elite scorers' ratio to below 1.0 and therefore in the "less than scoring" territory.
But who cares. It's 2 different things and a rational man can easily differentiate between them regardless of phrasing.

Somewhat reminds me of some guy I know who claims that 1 shouldn't be called 10 times smaller than 10, but 0.9 times instead (because of the 90% decrease) and that it's impossible for any positive number to be called smaller than another positive by more than "1 time".

meat
07-31-2021, 09:46 AM
Is everybody trolling? Just google the definition of "average". Then image search "below average" and we'd see a pic of your mom. Bunch of autistic weirdos.

meat
07-31-2021, 09:48 AM
I can't believe the public education system let you youngsters down so badly.

tontoz
07-31-2021, 09:52 AM
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/g195/tontoz/.highres/not-this-again.jpg

Bronbron23
07-31-2021, 10:07 AM
Not this again

Hahaha i know couldn't help myself

meat
07-31-2021, 10:10 AM
Hahaha i know couldn't help myself

I'm glad you're not as dumb as I thought you were.

Bronbron23
07-31-2021, 10:14 AM
OP is probably trolling but whatever.

It's true.

Triple doubles are binary events. They either happen, or they don't. The value is 1 or the value is 0. As ridiculous as it sounds, you would have to get a triple double in every single game you play in order to average a triple double, because it is a binary event, and the maximum number of triple doubles per game you can get is only 1.

It's not the same thing. Singular points are binary events. Triple doubles are binary events. The key difference is you can score more than 1 point per game, whereas with a triple double you can only obtain 1 per game. If you were to say... soandso averaged a 30 point game(a singular event), that would be a distinct difference from saying... that he averaged 30 points per game(multiple singular events per game).

Russell Westbrook's regular season averages were the equivalent of the prerequisite to obtain a singular triple double. But he didn't average a triple double. His averages in the three stats were the equivalent of a singular triple double.

A key difference.

Anyone who doesn't get it, I don't have time to explain it further to you. You are stupid. I'm sorry.

Im not really trolling because it's true but im definitely just starting shit. I just think the topic is hilarious because there's idiots on both sides. The people or person who brought this up initially is being annoyingly technical but he's not wrong. On the other side there's people who legit don't understand that technically you can't average a triple double unless you get a triple double every game because as you say it's a binary event.

And1AllDay
07-31-2021, 12:24 PM
wrong

average a triple double

got a triple double

different...

average is what you take at the end, not the beginning. so its dumb to say otherwise

iamgine
07-31-2021, 12:44 PM
When people say he averaged a triple double, people means his stats averaged to a triple double.

Like when people say he drinks a lot, people means he drinks alcoholic beverage a lot.

How come this needs to be explained.

Bronbron23
07-31-2021, 01:14 PM
When people say he averaged a triple double, people means his stats averaged to a triple double.

Like when people say he drinks a lot, people means he drinks alcoholic beverage a lot.

How come this needs to be explained.

Yeah i think most people mean that even though they know technically you can't averagea binary event. It sounds like some people on here actually think it's technically true also. That's where some of the confusion is i think.

And1AllDay
07-31-2021, 01:35 PM
Yeah i think most people mean that even though they know technically you can't averagea binary event. It sounds like some people on here actually think it's technically true also. That's where some of the confusion is i think.

i spell it out for the slow folk

average = take the results at the end

triple double = three stats in double digits

issa wrap

Bronbron23
07-31-2021, 01:45 PM
i spell it out for the slow folk

average = take the results at the end

triple double = three stats in double digits

issa wrap

Definition for average is "the result you get by adding two or more amounts together and dividing the total by the number of amounts"

If you got 41 triple-doubles in a 82 game season and someone asked you how many triple-doubles did you get what would you say?

And1AllDay
07-31-2021, 02:00 PM
Definition for average is "the result you get by adding two or more amounts together and dividing the total by the number of amounts"

If you got 41 triple-doubles in a 82 game season and someone asked you how many triple-doubles did you get what would you say?

average is taking the results at the end...not in the middle. not in 41 games. not in 12 games...at the end

Bronbron23
07-31-2021, 02:26 PM
average is taking the results at the end...not in the middle. not in 41 games. not in 12 games...at the end

Cool so answer the question. At the end of an 82 game season how many triple doubles would you have?

Kblaze8855
07-31-2021, 04:57 PM
This is one of the worst “Technically I’m right….” things in history. Mostly because technically you aren’t. It’s a term made up by chick Hearn to reference double digits in 3 categories. What a triple double is within the confines of a game where you can only have 1 is irrelevant. It’s a “back of the basketball card” issue. If you have double digits in 3 of the stats Chick was talking about your season qualifies. You average 18 points, 13 rebounds, and 14 blocks a game you will have three double digit numbers among those chick created the term to reference. A 3 count of double digits. How many times you had that within the season doesn’t matter. The term isn’t about how many times you had games matching the description. It’s about how many averaged stats are double digits. You could average double digits in 3 categories and have zero triple doubles. The individual games don’t matter. It isn’t how many units of this one thing you have. It’s how many units of 10 your basic box score stats have.

You would be better off explaining that it’s actually a quintuple double considering field goals made and missed than trying to make a season average of
combined numbers how many times they sync up in individual games.

The individual games don’t matter at all. The back of a basketball card in 1982 matters.

Bronbron23
07-31-2021, 05:07 PM
This is one of the worst “Technically I’m right….” things in history. Mostly because technically you aren’t. It’s a term made up by chick Hearn to reference double digits in 3 categories. What a triple double is within the confines of a game where you can only have 1 is irrelevant. It’s a “back of the basketball card” issue. If you have double digits in 3 of the stats Chick was talking about your season qualifies. You average 18 points, 13 rebounds, and 14 blocks a game you will have three double digit numbers among those chick created the term to reference. A 3 count of double digits. How many times you had that within the season doesn’t matter. The term isn’t about how many times you had games matching the description. It’s about how many averaged stats are double digits. You could average double digits in 3 categories and have zero triple doubles. The individual games don’t matter. It isn’t how many units of this one thing you have. It’s how many units of 10 your basic box score stats have.

You would be better off explaining that it’s actually a quintuple double considering field goals made and missed than trying to make a season average of
combined numbers how many times they sync up in individual games.

The individual games don’t matter at all. The back of a basketball card in 1982 matters.

I'm not the one who initially put this mess out their so it has nothing to do with me being right. All i'm saying is technically speaking they weren't wrong. What you said says it all. "You could average double digits in 3 categories and have zero triple doubles". How can this be true? How can you average something without getting any of them? You can't it makes no sense.

Again it's semantics and they were being very literal but they weren't wrong.

Kblaze8855
07-31-2021, 05:18 PM
How can it be true? Because it’s 3 individual averages. How many times you had them in the same game isn’t a factor. So yes. They are technically wrong. No single game matters. If he blocked 900 shots one game and had zero otherwise it’s a quadruple double because he’d average double digit blocks. The rest of the games individually mean literally nothing.

warriorfan
07-31-2021, 05:24 PM
He averaged a triple double but he really didn’t average a triple double.

Im Still Ballin
07-31-2021, 05:27 PM
This is why I ISH.

Excellent thread.

Bronbron23
07-31-2021, 05:42 PM

This is probably the best way to describe it.

Kblaze8855
07-31-2021, 05:45 PM

Nah you would need something like “He didn’t average a triple double a game” to get you there with a twister like stretch of douchebaggery. And that would have nothing to do with if he had a triple double season for which the number of games he did it in individually wouldn’t matter.

MadDog
07-31-2021, 05:49 PM
Nah you would need something like “He didn’t average a triple double a game” to get you there with a twister like stretch of douchebaggery. And that would have nothing to do with if he had a triple double season for which the number of games he did it in individually wouldn’t matter.

Right. Nobody actually thinks Westbrook had a triple double every. single. game. Just like nobody thinks Harden scored 36 every game.

tontoz
07-31-2021, 05:56 PM
For the record Russ had 38 triple doubles in 65 games this season.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-31-2021, 06:41 PM
This thread is why Idiocracy has become an effin documentary.

Bronbron23
07-31-2021, 07:12 PM
This thread is why Idiocracy has become an effin documentary.

It's technical but it isn't stupid. The only way to average a single variable with a max value of 1 is to do it every time. If you don't understand this then your actually the idiot.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-31-2021, 07:19 PM
It's technical but it isn't stupid. The only way to average a single variable with a max value of 1 is to do it every time. If you don't understand this then your actually the idiot.

Yes, it is stupid. The same as a flat earther on youtube . Look up the word average and the context and you will realize how effin stupid it is....

Or not and try and be cool.

Bronbron23
07-31-2021, 07:37 PM
Yes, it is stupid. The same as a flat earther on youtube . Look up the word average and the context and you will realize how effin stupid it is....

Or not and try and be cool.

There's a really easy way to settle this. Just answer some basic questions. How many games did westbrook play? and how many triple doubles did he have? For him to average a triple-double in an 82 game season he'd have to have 82 triple-doubles on the season. This is pretty basic and again being very technical. I get what people mean when they say westbrook averaged a triple double but if you really want to be technical he didn't

tontoz
07-31-2021, 07:40 PM
Why would anyone take an average when the only possible outcomes are 1 or 0?

Axe
07-31-2021, 07:50 PM
Per game? Yes. Either 1 or 0 only.

Bronbron23
07-31-2021, 07:54 PM

That's kind of my point. Averages don't really apply well to single variables with possible outcomes between 1-0. Triple-doubles, knockouts hat tricks ect are examples of this. Technically you can average them but Technically you'd have to get them every time out.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-31-2021, 08:02 PM
So you are arguing for arguments sake. You understand the context of when people say: he averaged a ________________. But you just want to argue for argument's sake. Like I said, it is stupid.

But keep pouring gatorade on plants, it's cool.

Kblaze8855
07-31-2021, 08:17 PM

Except the “every time” is one season. You average it for one season. The 0 or 1….is 1. Because he did it for….1 season. The individual games making up that season are irrelevant. The one number in each stat at the end of the year is the only thing that makes it a seasonal triple double. 10 or more in 3 end of season numbers. That’s all.

ELITEpower23
07-31-2021, 08:25 PM
Why are people trying to determine an average before the totals are over. I saw someone ask about 12 games or 41 games? Huh? When finding an average you add up all of the data points in an event and then divide by the number of events.

Sum of data points per event (points/rebounds/assist per game)
Divided by # of events (# of games)

I'm a little pained that I had to explain how to find an average.

Bronbron23
07-31-2021, 08:34 PM
So you are arguing for arguments sake. You understand the context of when people say: he averaged a ________________. But you just want to argue for argument's sake. Like I said, it is stupid.

But keep pouring gatorade on plants, it's cool.

Not really I'm not arguing it all. I said from jump i get what people mean. I actually say the same thing. All i ever really said is technically whoever started this argument wasn't wrong.

ELITEpower23
07-31-2021, 08:37 PM
Not really I'm not arguing it all. I said from jump i get what people mean. I actually say the same thing. All i ever really said is technically whoever started this argument wasn't wrong.

Game 1: 10-10-10
Game 2: 10-10-11
Game 3: 10-10-9

Total: 30-30-30 in three games

What is the average? And is it a triple double?

Bronbron23
07-31-2021, 08:41 PM
Except the “every time” is one season. You average it for one season. The 0 or 1….is 1. Because he did it for….1 season. The individual games making up that season are irrelevant. The one number in each stat at the end of the year is the only thing that makes it a seasonal triple double. 10 or more in 3 end of season numbers. That’s all.

Actually the every time is one game and there's 82 games in the season. It's simple math. X ÷ y = average. In this case i think west brook had 35 tripple doubles in 82 games so the equation is 35 ÷ 82 = .5. So westbrook averaged .5 triple-doubles.

ELITEpower23
07-31-2021, 08:55 PM
Actually the every time is one game and there's 82 games in the season. It's simple math. X ÷ y = average. In this case i think west brook had 35 tripple doubles in 82 games so the equation is 35 ÷ 82 = .5. So westbrook averaged .5 triple-doubles.

Q1: What is the highest level of education you completed?
Please select one answer below

[ ] Some middle school
[ ] Middle school
[ ] Some High school
[ ] High school
[ ] Some Community College

Q2: What is the average? And is it a triple double?
Please write in your answer

tontoz
07-31-2021, 09:53 PM

That should end the discussion, but it won't.

Bronbron23
07-31-2021, 10:07 PM

What is the average? And is it a triple double?

They averaged 10 points 10 reb and 10 assists in 3 games ( 3÷30=10/3÷30=10/3÷30=10)

As far as tripple doubles. The equation is 1÷3 =.333333 so they averaged. 3333333 triple-doubles in 3 Games

tontoz
07-31-2021, 10:11 PM
They averaged 10 points 10 reb and 10 assists in 3 games ( 3÷30=10/3÷30=10/3÷30=10)

As far as tripple doubles. The equation is 1÷3 =.333333 so they averaged. 3333333 triple-doubles in 3 Games

Even using your own bizarre reasoning you are still wrong.

:roll:

He had 2 triple doubles Mr Math Whiz.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-31-2021, 10:13 PM
:whatever:

Not this shit again

iamgine
08-01-2021, 02:17 AM

Whoever started this argument is clearly wrong because his assumption of what people are saying is wrong.

It would be like If I say "Eddy Curry was a whale". Then someone make a technical analysis that Eddy Curry is in fact human and his DNA doesn't resemble whale DNA at all.

Bronbron23
08-01-2021, 12:11 PM
Whoever started this argument is clearly wrong because his assumption of what people are saying is wrong.

It would be like If I say "Eddy Curry was a whale". Then someone make a technical analysis that Eddy Curry is in fact human and his DNA doesn't resemble whale DNA at all.

Not really i think the original guy acknowledged that he understood what people meant when they say he averaged a triple-double he just talked about how technically he actually didn't.

The Eddy Curry example isn't the same because curry isn't a whale. The technical analysis would be wrong. The technical analysis of averages applying to a triple double or any single variable with a max value of 1 isn't wrong. It's just science and it's a fact. Sure it's kind of dumb to apply averages to a single variable with a 1 max value but it can be done aa waa done in this case.

Bronbron23
08-01-2021, 12:15 PM
Even using your own bizarre reasoning you are still wrong.

:roll:

He had 2 triple doubles Mr Math Whiz.

Yeah i got that wrong but it's irrelevant. It be 2÷3 which is .666666.

And it's not my bizarre reasoning it's just facts and simple math buddy. If i asked you how many triple doubles did westbrook get in 82 games what would you say?

tontoz
08-01-2021, 12:28 PM
Yeah i got that wrong but it's irrelevant. It be 2÷3 which is .666666.

And it's not my bizarre reasoning it's just facts and simple math buddy. If i asked you how many triple doubles did westbrook get in 82 games what would you say?

No, it really isn't. The individual games are irrelevant when you are talking about a season.

You either average a triple double for a season or you don't. In this case he did.

Saying someone averaged 10 rebounds a game isn't the same as saying they got 10 rebounds every game.

He got 38 triple doubles on the season but it doesn't matter just like it doesn't matter how many times a guy gets 10 rebounds.

Bronbron23
08-01-2021, 12:43 PM
No, it really isn't. The individual games are irrelevant when you are talking about a season.

You either average a triple double for a season or you don't. In this case he did.

Saying someone averaged 10 rebounds a game isn't the same as saying they got 10 rebounds every game.

He got 38 triple doubles on the season but it doesn't matter just like it doesn't matter how many times a guy gets 10 rebounds.

How are tge individual games irrelevant? They're extremely relevant. The whole average equation is based on each individual game. You can't get the sum without its parts.

The easiest way is to look at it from a grade 4 math perspective. If this was to be asked on a grade 4 math test it would be very simple. Its just x÷y=average. X is represented by how many Triple doubles westbrook got on the season and y is represented by how many games westbrook played. So if westbrook got 41 triple doubles in 82 games played he'd average. 5 tripple doubles on the season. 41÷82= .5

That all said i know what you and everyone else means when they say he averaged a triple-double. It's jusr technically an incorrect statement is all.

tontoz
08-01-2021, 12:48 PM
Wrong again because the determination is made after the averages are calculated for the season. The individual games aren't part of this calculation, only the season as a whole.

Let's use this same nonsensical reasoning on rebounds.

Based on your logic Westbrook didn't average double figure rebounds. Getting double figure rebounds is a binary event. You either get 10+ or you don't. 10 rebounds counts the same as 20 in this scenario.

Since Westbrook didn't get double figure rebounds in every game then based on your reasoning he didn't average double figure rebounds.

And1AllDay
08-01-2021, 01:10 PM
did he get a triple double every game? no

did he average a triple double at the end of the season? yes

bye

And1AllDay
08-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Wrong again because the determination is made after the averages are calculated for the season. The individual games aren't part of this calculation, only the season as a whole.

Let's use this same nonsensical reasoning on rebounds.

Based on your logic Westbrook didn't average double figure rebounds. Getting double figure rebounds is a binary event. You either get 10+ or you don't. 10 rebounds counts the same as 20 in this scenario.

Since Westbrook didn't get double figure rebounds in every game then based on your reasoning he didn't average double figure rebounds.

+1

there are some very unsmart people in this thread, bless your soul for not being one of them

MadDog
08-01-2021, 01:15 PM
+1

there are some very unsmart people in this thread, bless your soul for not being one of them

Not gonna lie, its cringe. I understand exactly what Bronbron is saying, but its not necessary. Nobody thinks Westbrook had a TD every game. Ditto with Harden back when he was dropping 36.

Bronbron23
08-01-2021, 01:29 PM
Not gonna lie, its cringe. I understand exactly what Bronbron is saying, but its not necessary. Nobody thinks Westbrook had a TD every game. Ditto with Harden back when he was dropping 36.

I agree it's unnecessary. It was just a joke at first plus it was never really my argument to begin with. I just understand what dude meant when he said it

And1AllDay
08-01-2021, 02:18 PM

yeah for sure

question is: did he average it at the end of the season, not did he get one each game

some people are slow tho :confusedshrug:

Kblaze8855
08-01-2021, 03:35 PM

Starting with “actually” doesn’t make you right.

There are 5 major stats….those 5 are the issue. What he did to generate the 5 end of year numbers is irrelevant. You average 11 assists that’s one of the 3 doubles….you get 3 of them? It’s a triple double season. The individual games don’t determine anything and you saying it 30 more times won’t make it different.

Psileas
08-01-2021, 06:11 PM
They weren't wrong technically westbrook didn't average a triple double

You're right. Westbrook has been averaging 14.15 triple doubles per season and 38 TD's last season, not just a triple double.

Shogon
08-01-2021, 09:39 PM

There are 5 major stats….those 5 are the issue. What he did to generate the 5 end of year numbers is irrelevant. You average 11 assists that’s one of the 3 doubles….you get 3 of them? It’s a triple double season. The individual games don’t determine anything and you saying it 30 more times won’t make it different.

Uh...

So here's the thing... points are individual entities. Rebounds are individual entities. Assists are individual entities, etc.

Like the above aforementioned, triple doubles are individual entities. They only happen when you get double digits in three of the five major categories... within one single individual game.

And because you can't get more than one triple double per game by definition, you need to have a triple double in every game that you play to average a triple double.

Your averages being the equivalent of a single triple double is not the same thing at all as averaging a triple double.

It's not hard. I promise.

tontoz
08-01-2021, 10:00 PM
Uh...

So here's the thing... points are individual entities. Rebounds are individual entities. Assists are individual entities, etc.

Like the above aforementioned, triple doubles are individual entities. They only happen when you get double digits in three of the five major categories... within one single individual game.

And because you can't get more than one triple double per game by definition, you need to have a triple double in every game that you play to average a triple double.

Your averages being the equivalent of a single triple double is not the same thing at all as averaging a triple double.

Like I already said you could use that same logic to say Westbrook didn't average double digit rebounds which is nonsense. Both a 10 rebound game and a 20 rebound game count as one double digit game.

Since he didn't get double digit rebounds in every game that means he didn't average double digit rebounds, right?

Kblaze8855
08-02-2021, 07:49 AM
Uh...

You deciding triple doubles mean _____ doesn’t mean anything to anyone else. The term was created on the fly by either Chick Hearn who I have personally heard reference an average over a period of time as being one….or Harvey Pollak the old basketball stats guy who brought them to Chicks attention. When people actually started caring about them late in Magic’s career and again with Kidd and Grant Hill types it would come up. Chick talked about it in reference to Oscar on old segments. A triple double is 3 double digit stats be it a game(usual), a few games, or a season. You can pretend you get to define basketball terms for the rest of your life. You don’t.

You don’t define it any more than any other term Chick or the old guys created like slam dunk or a drive….or garbage time…

You….do not decide shit. It is a colorful expression created by one of two people both of whom did in fact use it as you say is incorrect. I use it as it’s creators did. 3 stats 10 or more. Both acknowledged Oscars triple double season.

Your bullshit on the internet 40-50 years later means absolutely nothing. It isn’t a math problem. The answer isn’t set by numbers. It’s a colorful turn of phrase the creators define. And they defined it exactly like everyone not being a douche does.

And by that definition….Oscar and Westbrook both got one for entire seasons. They didn’t live to say so of Westbrook but they damn sure did of Oscar. They created it. They define it.

You did not and do not…do either.

Shogon
08-02-2021, 08:54 AM
You deciding triple doubles mean _____ doesn’t mean anything to anyone else. The term was created on the fly by either Chick Hearn who I have personally heard reference an average over a period of time as being one….or Harvey Pollak the old basketball stats guy who brought them to Chicks attention. When people actually started caring about them late in Magic’s career and again with Kidd and Grant Hill types it would come up. Chick talked about it in reference to Oscar on old segments. A triple double is 3 double digit stats be it a game(usual), a few games, or a season. You can pretend you get to define basketball terms for the rest of your life. You don’t.

You don’t define it any more than any other term Chick or the old guys created like slam dunk or a drive….or garbage time…

You….do not decide shit. It is a colorful expression created by one of two people both of whom did in fact use it as you say is incorrect. I use it as it’s creators did. 3 stats 10 or more. Both acknowledged Oscars triple double season.

Your bullshit on the internet 40-50 years later means absolutely nothing. It isn’t a math problem. The answer isn’t set by numbers. It’s a colorful turn of phrase the creators define. And they defined it exactly like everyone not being a douche does.

And by that definition….Oscar and Westbrook both got one for entire seasons. They didn’t live to say so of Westbrook but they damn sure did of Oscar. They created it. They define it.

https://i.postimg.cc/BZpRkgW3/1.png

Your argument is invalid.

You know damn good and well that regardless of who coined the term they weren't looking at the averages of each category over a number of games. They were looking at individual games and that is specifically how it is used today, as well, except in the case of retardation re: Westbrook & Robertson.

And regardless of what they were originally looking at, it doesn't even matter. It's currently a reference to individual games. You know it, I know it. Don't lose sleep over it.

Shogon
08-02-2021, 09:00 AM
Here's another way to put it... let's say someone goes crazy over a 10 game stretch and their averages equate to one single triple double... but they didn't actually get a single triple double, nor did they even come close to doing so during any one single game. Nobody is really giving a shit and you probably won't hear much about it. It won't be this big talking point of "oh he's averaging a triple double" or some nonsense for more than a fleeting moment if at all.

People are stupid.

And Russell Westbrook did not average a triple double.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 09:11 AM
Here's another way to put it... let's say someone goes crazy over a 10 game stretch and their averages equate to one single triple double... but they didn't actually get a single triple double, nor did they even come close to doing so during any one single game. Nobody is really giving a shit and you probably won't hear much about it. It won't be this big talking point of "oh he's averaging a triple double" or some nonsense for more than a fleeting moment if at all.

People are stupid.

And Russell Westbrook did not average a triple double.

And he didn't average doubt digit rebounds, right?

You can apply your nonsensical reasoning to any stat and claim it is binary, in this case rebounds. Any rebound after 10 disappears into the ether because 10,11,12,13 etc rebound games are just one double digit game.

Shogon
08-02-2021, 09:12 AM
And he didn't average doubt digit rebounds, right?

You can apply your nonsensical reasoning to any stat and claim it is binary, in this case rebounds. Any rebound after 10 disappears into the ether because 10,11,12,13 etc rebound games are just one double digit game.

No that's not true because each rebound is a binary unit, much like a triple double is a binary unit.

It's either 1 or 0.

Kblaze8855
08-02-2021, 09:21 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/BZpRkgW3/1.png

Your argument is invalid.

You know damn good and well that regardless of who coined the term they weren't looking at the averages of each category over a number of games. They were looking at individual games and that is specifically how it is used today, as well, except in the case of retardation re: Westbrook & Robertson.

And regardless of what they were originally looking at, it doesn't even matter. It's currently a reference to individual games. You know it, I know it. Don't lose sleep over it.

So instead of you deciding what a triple double is..while disregarding the creators usage…..I should have someone else define it while disregarding the creators usage?

Why would you think I or the earth cares more what that person typed than what you typed?

You don’t decide anything. The person who coined the term used it as I do…your opinion of it is irrelevant. It isn’t 2 plus 2. It’s a fabricated term that sounds good calling games. The person who created said term defines it.

And obviously it isn’t only a reference to individual games because since at least the 80s when it was first in print it’s been used to reference Oscars season. The creators used it both ways. It’s been used for a season. It’s been used for stretches of games. Both in public and by the originators. That’s just the way it is.

You create a term you can define it. You didn’t create this one. The people who did….used it to reference blocks of games. Harvey Pollak was a big stat guy and was known to count up blocks before they were official too. I’ve seen articles on him referencing Wilt averaging a quadruple double for periods of time. He and Chick created it. They used it more than one way. The public uses it the same way. Your opinion is of no consequence.

MaxPlayer
08-02-2021, 09:26 AM
WOAT thread. Would never read again.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 09:29 AM
No that's not true because each rebound is a binary unit, much like a triple double is a binary unit.

It's either 1 or 0.

And a double digit game is a binary unit. A 13 rebound game is only one double digit game. A 20 rebound game is only one double digit game.

Doesn't matter whether it is a triple double, double double, or in this case a single double. Each game only counts as 1 because it is binary.

Shogon
08-02-2021, 09:50 AM
So instead of you deciding what a triple double is..while disregarding the creators usage…..I should have someone else define it while disregarding the creators usage?

Let's just assume what you're saying is correct...

Even under that assumption, yes, absolutely. You know why? Languages and the meaning of words change over time. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Shogon
08-02-2021, 09:51 AM
And a double digit game is a binary unit. A 13 rebound game is only one double digit game. A 20 rebound game is only one double digit game.

Doesn't matter whether it is a triple double, double double, or in this case a single double. Each game only counts as 1 because it is binary.

What you're talking about is averaging a double double, not double digit rebound averages. Yes, the same logic applies. If anyone in NBA history is cited as having averaged a double double and they had a game in the season in which they played that they didn't obtain a double double, that is correct, they did not average a double double.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 10:05 AM
What you're talking about is averaging a double double, not double digit rebound averages. Yes, the same logic applies. If anyone in NBA history is cited as having averaged a double double and they had a game in the season in which they played that they didn't obtain a double double, that is correct, they did not average a double double.

Nonsense. You are being completely arbitrary. Your binary argument can be applied to any stat, not just triple doubles or double doubles.

For example when an announcer says that a player had 5 straight 20 point games, that means he has had 5 games scoring at least 20. In this case it is binary because he had to score at least 20 in each game. Doesn't matter how many points over 20 a guy scored in an individual game, each game counts as 1 20 pt game.

However when someone uses the word average then the binary argument goes out the window. In the case of an average every point is taken into account. If an announcer says that a guy averaged 20 over his last 5 games that is completely different from saying he had 5 straight 20 pt games.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 10:11 AM

The individual games do mater because games played is part of the equation. When you average 30 points in a season its 30 ponts "per"game. When average rebounds it's 10 rebounds "per" game. It's no different if you were to average a triple-double or anything else you can get per game. The equation is the same. X÷y=average. The y is always number of game played and the x is the the number of times you did something.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 10:16 AM

This is fine i don't disagree with this. I myself call it a triple double. That was never the start of the argument though. The argument was technically speaking westbrook didn't. We a know what is meant when someone says he averaged a triple-double. All the original dude was saying was basically averaging a triple-double is an accepted achievement that isn't actually possible

tontoz
08-02-2021, 10:16 AM
The individual games do mater because games played is part of the equation. When you average 30 points in a season its 30 ponts "per"game. When average rebounds it's 10 rebounds "per" game. It's no different if you were to average a triple-double or anything else you can get per game. The equation is the same. X÷y=average. The y is always number of game played and the x is the the number of times you did something.

Saying someone averaged 30 ppg isn't the same as saying they had 72 30 point games.

Saying someone has x number of 30 point games is a binary situation. Each game 30+ counts as 1 game, doesn't matter if it is 30, 40, or 50 points. All those points over 30 don't matter.

When you bring in the word average then every point has to be counted and the binary argument goes out the window.

rawimpact
08-02-2021, 10:35 AM
You guys are arguing semantics

there literally is no answer to it because there is no standard interpretation of a triple double

waste of time... no one is right, no one is wrong.

Kblaze8855
08-02-2021, 10:41 AM

Even under that assumption, yes, absolutely. You know why? Languages and the meaning of words change over time. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Except it didn’t. At all. The triple double has since it’s creation most often been associated with Oscar doing it for a season. The entire history of it…it’s been used exactly as I use it. You….are the one trying to change it. The rest of earth has used it as the creators used it for 40+ years now. The original usage(Chick), most famous example(Oscars season), and most famous recent examples have referenced periods of time. A triple double season that is not a triple double every game is not a redefinition by me. It’s me and the entire world using the same
one that has always existed. Words can change meaning. These didn’t. You just seem to think you wanting them to change matters. I can call a flamingo a steering wheel all I like. The people who named it a flamingo and the subsequent hundreds of years of use don’t care what I call it.

Society can redefine in time. You can’t. And every person in sports has defined it in such a way as to include Oscars entire 62 season since the day it was coined. The original and popular usage is the same. You’re the outlier.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 10:48 AM

Nonsense. You are being completely arbitrary. Your binary argument can be applied to any stat, not just triple doubles or double doubles.

For example when an announcer says that a player had 5 straight 20 point games, that means he has had 5 games scoring at least 20. In this case it is binary because he had to score at least 20 in each game. Doesn't matter how many points over 20 a guy scored in an individual game, each game counts as 1 20 pt game.

However when someone uses the word average then the binary argument goes out the window. In the case of an average every point is taken into account. If an announcer says that a guy averaged 20 over his last 5 games that is completely different from saying he had 5 straight 20 pt games.

You kind of made my point without knowing it. Your right 5 20 point games would be a simple binary event as a triple-double double. That's the thing though the 5 20 point games now becomes it's own unit. Now Let's call this unit a twenty-five. Even if you averaged 20 points a game you You would never say you averaged a twenty-five. It dosnt make sense and that's kind of the point. You can't really average a binary event. So while i say westbrook averaged a triple-double and i know what people mean when they say it he technically didn't actually average a triple-double. You can't average a triple-double double anymore than you can average a twenty-five

tontoz
08-02-2021, 10:58 AM
You kind of made my point without knowing it. Your right 5 20 point games would be a simple binary event as a triple-double double. That's the thing though the 5 20 point games now becomes it's own unit. Now Let's call this unit a twenty-five. Even if you averaged 20 points a game you You would never say you averaged a twenty-five. It dosnt make sense and that's kind of the point. You can't really average a binary event. So while i say westbrook averaged a triple-double and i know what people mean when they say it he technically didn't actually average a triple-double. You can't average a triple-double double anymore than you can average a twenty-five

Which is exactly my point. As soon as you say the word average then every point, every rebound and every assists during the season has to be counted and it isn't a binary situation.

In a binary situation (5 straight 30 point games) you aren't counting every point. In fact every point over 30 isn't being counted. As soon as you use the word average then every point has to be counted. If every point isn't counted then it isn't an average.

It is either an average or a binary situation. It cant be both.

When people say he averaged a triple double it isn't a binary situation for the simple reason that the word average is being used.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 11:06 AM
Saying someone averaged 30 ppg isn't the same as saying they had 72 30 point games.

Saying someone has x number of 30 point games is a binary situation. Each game 30+ counts as 1 game, doesn't matter if it is 30, 40, or 50 points. All those points over 30 don't matter.

When you bring in the word average then every point has to be counted and the binary argument goes out the window.

But your missing the point literally. A(1) point has the same value as a(1) triple-double. The only difference between the 2 when applied to "per" game is per game you can get an infinite amount of points while triple doubles you can only get 1. So whilein a 82 game season i can still average a(1) point without scoring a point every game i don't have that luxury with a triple-double. The max value is 1 so if i don't get a triple-double in a game i can't make it up in another game like i can pts. I have to get a triple-double double a game to average a triple-double on the seaaon.

It's semantics and being to technical with the word and the intention of it but he is right when he says technically you can't average a triple-double double because technically you can't

tontoz
08-02-2021, 11:16 AM
But your missing the point literally. A(1) point has the same value as a(1) triple-double. The only difference between the 2 when applied to "per" game is per game you can get an infinite amount of points while triple doubles you can only get 1. So whilein a 82 game season i can still average a(1) point without scoring a point every game i don't have that luxury with a triple-double. The max value is 1 so if i don't get a triple-double in a game i can't make it up in another game like i can pts. I have to get a triple-double double a game to average a triple-double on the seaaon.

It's semantics and being to technical with the word and the intention of it but he is right when he says technically you can't average a triple-double double because technically you can't

It is the same situation with 30 point games. You can only get 1 per game. It doesn't matter if you score 60 in all of them, each game counts as only 1 30 pt game.

As soon as you use the word average then every point has to be counted and it is no longer a binary situation.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 11:17 AM
Which is exactly my point. As soon as you say the word average then every point, every rebound and every assists during the season has to be counted and it isn't a binary situation.

In a binary situation (5 straight 30 point games) you aren't counting every point. In fact every point over 30 isn't being counted. As soon as you use the word average then every point has to be counted. If every point isn't counted then it isn't an average.

It is either an average or a binary situation. It cant be both.

When people say he averaged a triple double it isn't a binary situation for the simple reason that the word average is being used.

When i say you can't i mean it's just impossibly hard but technically you can average a binary situation like a triple-double. We already did it. X÷y=average. In this case it's 41 tripple doubles ÷ 82 games = .5 tripple doubles on the season. So technically russell westbrook while averaging at least 10/10/10 on the season he only averaged. 5 triple-doubles. That's the point when applying averages averaging at least 10/10/10 isn't the same as averaging a triple-double.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 11:23 AM
When i say you can't i mean it's just impossibly hard but technically you can average a binary situation like a triple-double. We already did it. X÷y=average. In this case it's 41 tripple doubles ÷ 82 games = .5 tripple doubles on the season. So technically russell westbrook while averaging at least 10/10/10 on the season he only averaged. 5 triple-doubles. That's the point when applying averages averaging at least 10/10/10 isn't the same as averaging a triple-double.

You are just making stuff up to pretend you are making sense.

If you aren't taking into account every rebound, every assist and every point then it isn't an average by definition. Whoever makes the statement determines whether it is binary or an average. If someone uses the word average then it isn't binary.

Literally nobody has ever talked about triple doubles the way you did in that post, just like nobody has ever said someone averaged .5 30 point games if they got 5 30 pt games in 10 games played.

FireDavidKahn
08-02-2021, 11:29 AM
OP do you know the difference between mean, median and mode and why mean is 99.99999999999% of the time synonymous with the word "average"?

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 12:00 PM
You are just making stuff up to pretend you are making sense.

If you aren't taking into account every rebound, every assist and every point then it isn't an average by definition. Whoever makes the statement determines whether it is binary or an average. If someone uses the word average then it isn't binary.

Literally nobody has ever talked about triple doubles the way you did in that post, just like nobody has ever said someone averaged .5 30 point games if they got 5 30 pt games in 10 games played.

Yes i agree nobody looks at this way. I said this from jump. It's not even my perspective i just get what dude means when he says it.

And I'm taking into account every reb, pt and ast but it basically becomes irrelevant once you use a singular unit to represent a binary event like a triple-double does.

It's just semantics dude i said this from jump. So while i agree most people don't look at that way technically it is what it is. Your example of 30 point games is no different. You can average 30 points per game on the season but only average. 5 30 point games. This is because they're separate from one another. They have different requirements. For you to average 30 you don't always need 30. For you to have a 30 point game and average a 30 point game you always have to have at least 30 points.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 12:14 PM
Yes i agree nobody looks at this way. I said this from jump. It's not even my perspective i just get what dude means when he says it.

And I'm taking into account every reb, pt and ast but it basically becomes irrelevant once you use a singular unit to represent a binary event like a triple-double does.

It's just semantics dude i said this from jump. So while i agree most people don't look at that way technically it is what it is. Your example of 30 point games is no different. You can average 30 points per game on the season but only average. 5 30 point games. This is because they're separate from one another. They have different requirements. For you to average 30 you don't always need 30. For you to have a 30 point game and average a 30 point game you always have to have at least 30 points.

No it isn't semantics. It is a choice.

It is either binary or an average. If someone says a guy had 5 straight triple doubles he is choosing the binary option. If someone says a guy averaged a triple double over the last 5 games then they aren't choosing the binary option.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 12:46 PM
OP do you know the difference between mean, median and mode and why mean is 99.99999999999% of the time synonymous with the word "average"?

Yes dude obviously. The problem here isn't how to calculate average or mean dude. Clearly i understand you don't always have do something to average it. You do however have to do it at least sometimes even if it's just once. That's a basic principle for the law of averages. Think of it like this. If you can average it without doing it technically you can't average it. You couldn't average 30 points a game without ever scoring 30 points or more. I could never average 5 touchdowns a game without ever scoring 5 touchdowns or more.

Same applies here. I could never average 10/10/10 without ever getting 10 or more in each category so how can i average a triple-double without ever getting a tripple double?

Think of like this. Lets take a dunk, a jumper and a layup. Let's say if you get one or more of each a game we call it a trifecta. It's only a trifecta if u get all 3 in a single game. Now lets say in a 82 game season you never had one trifecta but you averaged 1 dunk, layup and foul shot because you had 82 total of each. It wouldn't make sense to average a trifecta. You never had a trifecta.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 01:01 PM
No it isn't semantics. It is a choice.

It is either binary or an average. If someone says a guy had 5 straight triple doubles he is choosing the binary option. If someone says a guy averaged a triple double over the last 5 games then they aren't choosing the binary option.

That's the point though you really can't average a triple-double for a season. The definition for a triple-double double applies to individual games. It's not meant to apply to a whole season. So if you chose to do this anyway than That's fine. We all get what people mean when they do but technically the statement doesn't make sense. You can't average a triple-double no more than you can average a hat trick.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 01:15 PM
That's the point though you really can't average a triple-double for a season. The definition for a triple-double double applies to individual games. It's not meant to apply to a whole season. So if you chose to do this anyway than That's fine. We all get what people mean when they do but technically the statement doesn't make sense. You can't average a triple-double no more than you can average a hat trick.

Nonsense. Oscar averaged a triple double for a season and people have referred to it as such for decades, ever since people have been talking about triple doubles.

As soon as someone uses the word average, when talking about any stat, it isnt binary.

Has anyone ever used the word average in regards to a hat trick? If so please give an example. If not then it is an irrelevant example.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 01:18 PM
Nonsense. Oscar averaged a triple double for a season and people have referred to it as such for decades, ever since people have been talking about triple doubles.

Yes i agree just like westbrook did it recently. Again i say the same shit. This isn't about our understanding of what averaging a triple-double double means to us or the basketball world it's about how technically you can't actually do it if you really want to be technical about it.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 01:22 PM
Yes i agree just like westbrook did it recently. Again i say the same shit. This isn't about our understanding of what averaging a triple-double double means to us or the basketball world it's about how technically you can't actually do it if you really want to be technical about it.

Yes you can average a triple double. And it has been widely referred to as such. You just don't understand the fact that you aren't the one who determines what a triple double refers to.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Yes you can average a triple double. And it has been widely referred to as such. You just don't understand the fact that you aren't the one who determines what a triple double refers to.

Mah man i already said i myself call it a triple-double. Dosn't change the fact that technically or mathematically speaking he didn't average a triple-double

tontoz
08-02-2021, 01:31 PM
Mah man i already said i myself call it a triple-double. Dosn't change the fact that technically or mathematically speaking he didn't average a triple-double

Yes he absolutely did, just like Oscar did. A triple double is just like any other stat. It can be binary or an average depending on usage. That is what you don't have the mental capacity to grasp.

You cling to the idea that it only applies to an individual game just because you say so.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 01:51 PM
Yes he absolutely did, just like Oscar did. A triple double is just like any other stat. It can be binary or an average depending on usage. That is what you don't have the mental capacity to grasp.

You cling to the idea that it only applies to an individual game just because you say so.

Well it's not because i say so it's literally the definition of a triple-double. The definition says so. "When a player reaches a score of ten or more in at least three of these statistical categories in a game, he records a triple double (e.g. 10 points, 10 assists, 10 rebounds)"

This is literally the definition. It has to be done in the game and one must accomplish all three things within that game. If they don't it's not a triple-double. So this dosn't apply the same to a whole season. Again i get what you qnd everyone else including me mean when they say it but technically you can't actually do it.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 01:56 PM

Technically the only way averaging a triple-double would make sense was if you could get more than 1 triple-double in a game. Say if 20/20/20 was considered a double triple-double or 2 triple-doubles. I think hockey actually has this with a double hat trick. This way some games you coukd have 2 triple-doubles and some you could have 1 or none and you could still average a triple-double at the end of the season.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 02:00 PM
Well it's not because i say so it's literally the definition of a triple-double. The definition says so. "When a player reaches a score of ten or more in at least three of these statistical categories in a game, he records a triple double (e.g. 10 points, 10 assists, 10 rebounds)"

This is literally the definition. It has to be done in the game and one must accomplish all three things within that game. If they don't it's not a triple-double. So this dosn't apply the same to a whole season. Again i get what you qnd everyone else including me mean when they say it but technically you can't actually do it.

I have another definition for you....

Definition of bad (Entry 1 of 3)
1a: failing to reach an acceptable standard : POOR
a bad repair job
b: UNFAVORABLE
make a bad impression

Yet people have used bad to mean the exact opposite as long as i can remember.

"that is a bad man" after an athlete does something impressive.

What matters is how the word has used and triple double has always been used to mean an average, in addition to a game, as long as it's been used.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 02:02 PM
Technically the only way averaging a triple-double would make sense was if you could get more than 1 triple-double in a game. Say if 20/20/20 was considered a double triple-double or 2 triple-doubles. I think hockey actually has this with a double hat trick. This way some games you coukd have 2 triple-doubles and some you could have 1 or none and you could still average a triple-double at the end of the season.

And again you can't have two 20 point games in one game even if you score 80. Doesn't matter. What matters is usage.

You keep bringing up a hat trick. If you have any examples of people referring to someone averaging a hat trick then please share. Otherwise it is an irrelevant example.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 02:18 PM
And again you can't have two 20 point games in one game even if you score 80. Doesn't matter. What matters is usage.

You keep bringing up a hat trick. If you have any examples of people referring to someone averaging a hat trick then please share. Otherwise it is an irrelevant example.

Of course they don't. You'd have to score 246 goals in a 82 game season which will never happen. Hypothetically if someone did though it wouldn't make sense to say they averaged a hat trick just because they averaged 3 goals a game. A hat trick like a triple-double is defined on a per game basis and it has to be accomplished per game for it to count. You wouldn't apply this same definition to a whole season because it dosnt apply the same. Technically it dosnt make sense.

In simple terms a triple-double itself can't be averaged like the sum of it's parts can.

when it comes to a triple-double double that's exactly what we did. We applied it to a full season and we made it make sense but technically it's an incorrect statement just like averaging a hat trick would be.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 02:23 PM
I have another definition for you....

Yet people have used bad to mean the exact opposite as long as i can remember.

"that is a bad man" after an athlete does something impressive.

What matters is how the word has used and triple double has always been used to mean an average, in addition to a game, as long as it's been used.

Sure but I've never argued this. That's why i said it's semantics and continually say technically. It be no different than the word bad. If i asked for the technical or literal meaning of bad you know what you'd say. It's no different in this case.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 02:26 PM
Of course they don't. You'd have to score 246 goals in a 82 game season which will never happen. Hypothetically if someone did though it wouldn't make sense to say they averaged a hat trick just because they averaged 3 goals a game. A hat trick like a triple-double is defined on a per game basis and it has to be accomplished per game for it to count. You wouldn't apply this same definition to a whole season because it dosnt apply the same. Technically it dosnt make sense.

In simple terms a triple-double itself can't be averaged like the sum of it's parts can.

when it comes to a triple-double double that's exactly what we did. We applied it to a full season and we made it make sense but technically it's an incorrect statement just like averaging a hat trick would be.

So you don't have any examples. I didn't think so. Hence, it is irrelevant.

Triple double has always applied to a full season since it has been used. It has also been used when someone has averaged a triple double over a stretch of games.

The key word is average, just like it is with any other stat.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 02:47 PM
So you don't have any examples. I didn't think so. Hence, it is irrelevant.

Triple double has always applied to a full season since it has been used. It has also been used when someone has averaged a triple double over a stretch of games.

The key word is average, just like it is with any other stat.

It's absolutely not irrelevant It's the same scenario and you know it.

And yes we apply average to tripple double to a single game the same way we do to a full season the same but it doesn't mean it's technically correct. just because we've done and it makes sense to us it doesn't mean it's mathematically or technically correct because it isn't.

Again the formula would be the same. if all you had were the numbers and i asked you how many points someone averaged you would use the average formula. You would take the total amount of points and devide it by the total amount of games and you get the average. That's the only way to do it. The same goes if i asked you how many triple doubles they averaged on the season. You would take the total number of triple double and divide it by the number of games. This is the only way to do it technically or mathematically speaking.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 03:04 PM
It's absolutely not irrelevant It's the same scenario and you know it.

And yes we apply average to tripple double to a single game the same way we do to a full season the same but it doesn't mean it's technically correct. just because we've done and it makes sense to us it doesn't mean it's mathematically or technically correct because it isn't.

Again the formula would be the same. if all you had were the numbers and i asked you how many points someone averaged you would use the average formula. You would take the total amount of points and devide it by the total amount of games and you get the average. That's the only way to do it. The same goes if i asked you how many triple doubles they averaged on the season. You would take the total number of triple double and divide it by the number of games. This is the only way to do it technically or mathematically speaking.

How a word is used absolutely matters. If a word is never used as an average then it is pointless to compare it to a word that has always been used as an average.

The triple double has always referred to an average or a game depending on usage, just like other stats. It doesn't matter what someone happened to put in the dictionary because it was in use long before it was in the dictionary.

The same goes if i asked you how many triple doubles they averaged on the season.

Literally nobody has ever asked that besides you in your desperate attempt to pretend you are making sense. What people might ask is how many triple doubles someone actually had, in which case it would be simple addition.

Similarly nobody would ever ask how many 20 pt games a player averaged. They will either talk about how many 20 pt games a player has (typically in a row) or what a player has averaged over a stretch of games.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 03:12 PM
How a word is used absolutely matters. If a word is never used as an average then it is pointless to compare it to a word that has always been used as an average.

The triple double has always referred to an average or a game depending on usage, just like other stats. It doesn't matter what someone happened to put in the dictionary because it was in use long before it was in the dictionary.

Literally nobody has ever asked that besides you in your desperate attempt to pretend you are making sense. What people might ask is how many triple doubles someone actually had, in which case it would be simple addition.

Similarly nobody would ever ask how many 20 pt games a player averaged. They will either talk about how many 20 pt games a player has (typically in a row) or what a player has averaged over a stretch of games.

You keep saying the same shit that i already acknowledged. Yes it's semantics and yes we all know what is meant by triple double.

And the reason why nobody would ever ask how many 20 point games someone averaged is because the shit dosn't make sense even though mathematically you can average it out. This is exactly what we've done with a tripple double. it's the exact same principle the only difference is we except it and we have a different understanding of it. As long as you acknowledge this simple fact than were good.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 03:24 PM
You keep saying the same shit that i already acknowledged. Yes it's semantics and yes we all know what is meant by triple double.

And the reason why nobody would ever ask how many 20 point games someone averaged is because the shit dosn't make sense even though mathematically you can average it out. This is exactly what we've done with a tripple double. it's the exact same principle the only difference is we except it and we have a different understanding of it. As long as you acknowledge this simple fact than were good.

It doesn't make sense because a 20 pt game is binary. It is pointless to take an average, just like it would be pointless to take an average of how many triple doubles someone averaged.

Better just to say how many 20 pt games/triple doubles a player had.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 03:34 PM
It doesn't make sense because a 20 pt game is binary. It is pointless to take an average, just like it would be pointless to take an average of how many triple doubles someone averaged.

Better just to say how many 20 pt games/triple doubles a player had.

Yes exactly that's all I've been saying from the get go. Technically it wouldn't make any sense but that's exactly what we do for a triple-double. Only difference is we except it.

Your 20 point game example is actually a perfect one. If we actually labeled 20 point games "20 point games" like we labeled 10/10/10 "triple doubles" the same principles would apply. If you averaged 20 points on the season you wouldn't say i averaged a "20 point game" the shit wouldn't make sense and would factually be wrong. We'd all understand what you meant but it wouldn't really make sense. This is exactly what we do for a triple double.

Again it's fine we all know what it means but technically the shit makes no sense if we really think about it.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 03:51 PM
When someone says the word average they aren't talking about the binary scenario. Simple as that.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 04:06 PM
When someone says the word average they aren't talking about the binary scenario. Simple as that.

actually in every instance but this one people either wouldn't bother because it makes no sense or they'd do it and except the results. What do you think they do with a batting average? In this case we've put our own understanding on what it means to average a triple-double even though technically it makes no sense.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 04:14 PM
actually in every instance but this one people either wouldn't bother because it makes no sense or they'd do it and except the results. What do you think they do with a batting average? In this case we've put our own understanding on what it means to average a triple-double even though technically it makes no sense.

Correction, makes no sense to you. Makes perfect sense to most everyone else.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 04:22 PM
Correction, makes no sense to you. Makes perfect sense to most everyone else.

Nah makes sense to me also since i say it all the time also. I just understand the difference technically speaking. You and most don't and that's fine.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 04:26 PM
Nah makes sense to me also since i say it all the time also. I just understand the difference technically speaking. You and most don't and that's fine.

:oldlol:

Yeah right you are the enlightened one and all the unwashed masses don't get it.

Or maybe you are just clueless. I think that is the more likely scenario.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 05:01 PM
:oldlol:

Yeah right you are the enlightened one and all the unwashed masses don't get it.

Or maybe you are just clueless. I think that is the more likely scenario.

It's ok buddy i wouldn't expect a wizards fan to get it or get much of anything actually:facepalm

tontoz
08-02-2021, 05:07 PM
It's ok buddy i wouldn't expect a wizards fan to get it or get much of anything actually:facepalm

Right because team affiliation and IQ are so highly correlated.

As it happens i am listening to a podcast right now that mentioned Russ averaging a triple double for several seasons. :oldlol:

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 05:38 PM
Right because team affiliation and IQ are so highly correlated.

As it happens i am listening to a podcast right now that mentioned Russ averaging a triple double for several seasons. :oldlol:

Well it must be true than because nobody ever gets anything wrong on podcasts:facepalm

It's all good dude we can just agree to disagree. Sounds like we actually agree anyway your to to stubborn to actually admit it.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 05:41 PM
Well it must be true than because nobody ever gets anything wrong on podcasts:facepalm

It's all good dude we can just agree to disagree. Sounds like we actually agree anyway your to to stubborn to actually admit it.

I agree that an average of a binary event makes no sense.

Where we differ apparently is that I believe a triple double can be binary or an average just like any other stat.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 06:30 PM
I agree that an average of a binary event makes no sense.

Where we differ apparently is that I believe a triple double can be binary or an average just like any other stat.

Right but it is in fact a binary event so it can't be averaged on a per game basis like any other stat. You can believe whatever you want but it dosnt matter to the facts. The only way you can mathematically apply average to it is looking at 2 games or more. In this case we're looking at an entire season so it's 82 games. The average formula you would use for any other stat you would technically have to use when finding out if you averaged a triple-double. We don't do that though. We just ignore the actual math and say you averaged 10/10/10 per game so therefore you averaged a triple-double per game. The shit technically dosn't make sense as you already said.

If your position is everyone understands what is meant so why bother being literal or technical than that's fine. Your trying to argue math and facts though when it comes to actually averaging a triple-double. Don't be mad at me be mad at math and logic.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 06:42 PM
It is very simple actually. A 20 pt game is a binary event.

Averaging 20 isn't binary. Neither is averaging over 20.

In the case of averaging a triple double you are averaging

At least 10 points
At least 10 rebounds
At least 10 assists

In order to determine the averages you have to include every point, rebound and assist. Just like you would have to look at all the points to determine if someone averaged over 20.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 07:26 PM
Right but it is in fact a binary event so it can't be averaged on a per game basis like any other stat. You can believe whatever you want but it dosnt matter to the facts. The only way you can mathematically apply average to it is looking at 2 games or more. In this case we're looking at an entire season so it's 82 games. The average formula you would use for any other stat you would technically have to use when finding out if you averaged a triple-double. We don't do that though. We just ignore the actual math and say you averaged 10/10/10 per game so therefore you averaged a triple-double per game. The shit technically dosn't make sense as you already said.

If your position is everyone understands what is meant so why bother being literal or technical than that's fine. Your trying to argue math and facts though when it comes to actually averaging a triple-double. Don't be mad at me be mad at math and logic.

It is very simple actually. A 20 pt game is a binary event.

Averaging 20 isn't binary. Neither is averaging over 20.

In the case of averaging a triple double you are averaging

At least 10 points
At least 10 rebounds
At least 10 assists

In order to determine the averages you have to include every point, rebound and assist. Just like you would have to look at all the points to determine if someone averaged over 20.

That's where we differ. You view averaging a triple-double the same as averaging 10/10/10 and i don't. To you it's one in the same and to me they're separate units. Again to find out if it passes a the law of averages just ask yourself can i average a triple-double without ever getting a triple-double. If the answer is yes then you actually can't average it.

So while I'm applying logic in this argument your actually applying common sense even though the logic dosn't really makes sense. Neither of us actually wrong.

tontoz
08-02-2021, 07:35 PM
That's where we differ. You view averaging a triple-double the same as averaging 10/10/10 and i don't. To you it's one in the same and to me they're separate units. Again to find out if it passes a the law of averages just ask yourself can i average a triple-double without ever getting a triple-double. If the answer is yes then you actually can't average it.

So while I'm applying logic in this argument your actually applying common sense even though the logic dosn't really makes sense. Neither of us actually wrong.

Again with the "because I say so" argument.

When you are calculating an average of any stat or group of stats all that matter are the totals, not the individual amounts for each game.

Total points/ total games = average points per game. Doesn't matter what the guy scored in any individual game.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 07:57 PM
Again with the "because I say so" argument.

When you are calculating an average of any stat or group of stats all that matter are the totals, not the individual amounts for each game.

Total points/ total games = average points per game. Doesn't matter what the guy scored in any individual game.

Right that's exactly how I'm doing the math instead I'm using total triple-doubles/ total games. That's the only way to technically calculate a triple-double double average. The way your doing it actually isn't correct even though everyone understands it and accepts it. Myself included

tontoz
08-02-2021, 08:04 PM
Right that's exactly how I'm doing the math instead I'm using total triple-doubles/ total games. That's the only way to technically calculate a triple-double double average. The way your doing it actually isn't correct even though everyone understands it and accepts it. Myself included

And that is just wrong because to calculate an average you have to include every point, every assist and every rebound.
If you don't then you aren't calculating an average.

Bronbron23
08-02-2021, 09:58 PM
And that is just wrong because to calculate an average you have to include every point, every assist and every rebound.
If you don't then you aren't calculating an average.

To calculate rebounds, assists and points average you have to count each one yes. Once you give it a label like "triple double" it then becomes a binary unit where you only have to calculate how many triple-doubles you got to calculate the average.

Again i know you don't like it but a hat trick in hockey is a perfect example. If i asked you to tell me how many hat tricks someone averaged on the season how would you calculate it? There's only one way. You'd have to take the number of hat tricks and divide it by the number of games. You wouldn't even have to know how many goals they scored because it's irrelevant. All you need to know is if it was a hat trick or not.

The same applies here. You don't need to know how many points,reb and assists westbrook scored all you need to know is how man triple-doubles he had.

If i were to ask you how many points,reb and assists westbrook averaged this year and how many triple-doubles he got what would you say? You'd say westbrook averaged 22 pts 12 reb snd 12 assists and he had 35 triple-doubles. How can he have 35 triple-doubles in 65 games and yet average a triple-double at the same time? You can't. You and everyone else including myself just accepts the loose meaning of averaging a triple-double even though technically it's applied incorrectly

tontoz
08-02-2021, 10:29 PM
.. how many hat tricks someone averaged

Said nobody ever. Literally that question has never been asked.

People ask how many hat tricks someone had in a season, or how many they averaged multiple seasons, but not how many hat tricks someone averaged in one season.

You are just making up a hypothetical scenario to pretend you are making sense.

As soon as the word average is used it is no longer a binary situation and every point, rebound and assist has to be counted.

ScottieQuitting
08-02-2021, 10:50 PM
This might be the dumbest thread ever. No bullshit. I don’t even like Westbrick or overrated “trip dubs” but good lord.

08-03-2021, 12:50 AM
This might be the dumbest thread ever. No bullshit. I don’t even like Westbrick or overrated “trip dubs” but good lord.
Ackshually, tecknikaly speeking, this is almost certainly NOT literally the dumbest thread ever. Since theres probably many threads on the vast Internet that are dumber. Therefore you are WRONG

QED