PDA

View Full Version : Random and meaningless NBA related stuff in your everyday life

jlip
08-02-2021, 10:34 PM
Both the Orlando Magic and original Charlotte Hornets were brand new expansion teams when I was in middle school. I did my eighth grade science fair board in the teal and purple colors of the original Charlotte Hornets and my ninth grade project in the blue, black, and silver of the Orlando Magic. I can't remember what either of the projects were about, but I do remember that.

Then either in 1997 or 1998 (can't remember... I was either a sophomore or junior in college.) we could choose any topic for our informative speech in my oral communication class. I chose the recent history of the new NBA rookie salary cap in response to Glenn Robinson's rookie contract. I think I receive a "B" on that. IMO I think I should have received an "A", but the professor gave me a "B" because he didn't want to admit that I was already a better public speaker than he was. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Have you all interjected NBA related stuff into your everyday life in places that people did not expect it?

HoopsNY
08-02-2021, 10:38 PM
Both the Orlando Magic and original Charlotte Hornets were brand new expansion teams when I was in middle school. I did my eighth grade science fair board in the teal and purple colors of the original Charlotte Hornets and my ninth grade project in the blue, black, and silver of the Orlando Magic. I can't remember what either of the projects were about, but I do remember that.

Then either in 1997 or 1998 (can't remember... I was either a sophomore or junior in college.) we could choose any topic for our informative speech in my oral communication class. I chose the recent history of the new NBA rookie salary cap in response to Glenn Robinson's rookie contract. I think I receive a "B" on that. IMO I think I should have received an "A", but the professor gave me a "B" because he didn't want to admit that I was already a better public speaker than he was. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Have you all interjected NBA related stuff into your everyday life in places that people did not expect it?

I wrote a book report about Hakeem Olajuwon back in 1994. I got an A for it. That's about it, lol.

jlip
08-02-2021, 10:44 PM
I wrote a book report about Hakeem Olajuwon back in 1994. I got an A for it. That's about it, lol.

What book was it based on?

tontoz
08-02-2021, 10:45 PM
My very first day in Atlanta I went to Lennox Mall and saw mark price walking through the mall like everyone else. Either people didn't recognize him or they did and decided not to bother him.

Years later I was working with a guy who said he guarded Price in a pick up game. Dude said he didn't think he would have any problem and was upset Price kept scoring on him. I'm like you do realize Price was an All Star, right?

:oldlol:

One day I saw Mutombo's Bentley. The front seat was so far back it literally looked like he was sitting in the back seat.

Full Court
08-02-2021, 11:13 PM
Someone random dude started talking trash to me at Walmart, and I flagrant fouled him.

FKAri
08-02-2021, 11:48 PM
I did a small presentation on Kobe in 98(99?) for Spanish. It's on a yellow floppy disk somewhere. I think the 2 pics in BMP format of Kobe took most of the space up.

I got an autograph from Hakeem in a hotel lobby when I was a kid. I lost it almost immediately.

RRR3
08-02-2021, 11:50 PM
I envy the musical era you grew up in, OP.

Axe
08-02-2021, 11:54 PM
Dunking over 6'9 zach randolph at least four times was one of the best things that ever happened in my life

ctto

k0kakw0rld
08-03-2021, 12:00 AM
Dunking over 6'9 zach randolph at least four times was one of the best things that ever happened in my life

ctto
Go to bed, get a life & get yourself a job. So you can take someone outside and hopefully get you some you know a distraction so you can get out of your momma basement.

Axe
08-03-2021, 12:15 AM
Go to bed, get a life & get yourself a job. So you can take someone outside and hopefully get you some you know a distraction so you can get out of your momma basement.
A dedicated post to rrr3? Interesting lil fella.

HoopsNY
08-03-2021, 08:26 AM
What book was it based on?

Damn I really can't recall. It wasn't anything exceptional, though. Something I found in the local library with big print. It was always weird in my school being a Knicks fan but having Hakeem as my favorite player.

HoopsNY
08-03-2021, 08:27 AM
My very first day in Atlanta I went to Lennox Mall and saw mark price walking through the mall like everyone else. Either people didn't recognize him or they did and decided not to bother him.

Years later I was working with a guy who said he guarded Price in a pick up game. Dude said he didn't think he would have any problem and was upset Price kept scoring on him. I'm like you do realize Price was an All Star, right?

:oldlol:

One day I saw Mutombo's Bentley. The front seat was so far back it literally looked like he was sitting in the back seat.

Great stories man. Did you get to speak to Price? My dad went on business almost 20 years ago and met Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson. My dad asked Stak to take the photo, not realizing who he was lmao.

HoopsNY
08-03-2021, 08:28 AM
I did a small presentation on Kobe in 98(99?) for Spanish. It's on a yellow floppy disk somewhere. I think the 2 pics in BMP format of Kobe took most of the space up.

I got an autograph from Hakeem in a hotel lobby when I was a kid. I lost it almost immediately.

I'm jealous of you. I have a buddy that met Hakeem down in Houston. Sure enough, he said Hakeem is everything he imagined....the epitome of what it means to be humble.