PDA

View Full Version : Rate Mavs offseason

dirkdiggler41
08-03-2021, 10:55 AM
Acquired:
Moses Brown - The next Clint Capela/Jarrett Allen. He is 7.2, 21 years old and is owed 5,5 mill over the next 3 years. He posted more or less the same numbers as Capela and Allen did at the same age. I truly believe this kid can become something special with the Luka connection.

Reggie Bullock - A great defender, but also a great shooter. Shooting 40% on 6 attempts last season. Your classic 3 and D guy. Getting paid 30mill over 3 seasons.

Sterling Brown - Another 3 and D guy, shooting 42% on 4.2 attempts from downtown. Seems like a solid pickup at 6 million over 2 years.

Resigned:
Tim Hardaway - He had a great playoff last season. He resigned for 74 million over 4 years. That seems to be the right range considering what Norman Powell, Duncan Robinson, and Spencer Dinwiddie are getting.

Boban - Might be the MVP of lockerroom guy. The rumour has it that he signed for cheap for one year.

Key losses:
Josh Richardson was traded for Moses Brown. He was supposed to be a second ballhandler, 3 point shooter and defender, but he was never really good at any of those and at the end of the season he was benched. He wont be missed.

Rumors:
There is a rumour going on that Dragic wants out of Toronto so he can play for the Mavs. There might be some moves going on there.

Most likely lineup
Luka Doncic - Jalen Brunson - Trey Burke
Tim Hardaway Jr - Reggie Bullock
Dorian Finney-Smith - Sterling Brown - Josh Green
Maxi Kleber - Dwight Powell
Kristaps Porziņģis - Moses Brown - Willie Cauley-Stein - Boban Marjanović

Final thoughts:
Clearly, the Mavs are building around Luka. They are building some great defence around him while also making sure he got shooters when he is doubled or facing help defence. As always, someone will say they did not acquire a second star. For them, I will say it is very hard to acquire one considering the Mavs don't have picks or young up and coming talent while also the free-agent market was very dry this year.
Right now the Mavs got a solid core of defenders and shooters. If KP suddenly becomes healthy, happy and productive the Mavs can become one of the top teams, but let's be honest. They are missing that last piece to the puzzle.

Basketbolero
08-03-2021, 12:44 PM
Underwhelming if they are done. I expect them to pursue another guard.

Basically replaced Richardson with Bullock. The former disappointed as a ball handler but is still better at that than Bullock. Sort a moot point since Richardson's poor shooting made him too much of a liability to stay on the floor but adding ball handlers was thought to be a priority for them.

KP better gets back to looking like an all-star otherwise I don't see many paths for this roster to be more than a good regular season team. Low ceiling roster where their 2nd and 3rd options don't really create for others, unless Doncic goes supernova.

I like the addition of Moses Brown. That and Powell being one more year removed from injury should given them a consistent option rolling to the basket.

90sgoat
08-03-2021, 01:25 PM
It's shit.

Evan Fournier just signed in New York for the same as THJ and Fournier is a much more balanced player.

Bjelica just signed with Warriors, why didn't they get him?

90sgoat
08-03-2021, 01:45 PM
Mavs now entering season 4 with Luka and still no low post defender and rebounder.

MrFonzworth
08-03-2021, 01:50 PM
Mavs now entering season 4 with Luka and still no low post defender and rebounder.

Moses brown does both of those

90sgoat
08-03-2021, 01:54 PM
Moses brown does both of those

Who?

I'm sure that analydids loser found him, just like how Josh Richardson was an analydids star.

MrFonzworth
08-03-2021, 02:30 PM
Who?

I'm sure that analydids loser found him, just like how Josh Richardson was an analydids star.

Lukas new best friend

Mask the Embiid
08-03-2021, 02:32 PM
awful....:pimp:

Axe
08-03-2021, 02:37 PM
There's doubt luka can win a championship with them.

NugzFan
08-04-2021, 07:44 PM
Acquired:
Moses Brown - The next Clint Capela/Jarrett Allen. He is 7.2, 21 years old and is owed 5,5 mill over the next 3 years. He posted more or less the same numbers as Capela and Allen did at the same age. I truly believe this kid can become something special with the Luka connection.

Reggie Bullock - A great defender, but also a great shooter. Shooting 40% on 6 attempts last season. Your classic 3 and D guy. Getting paid 30mill over 3 seasons.

Sterling Brown - Another 3 and D guy, shooting 42% on 4.2 attempts from downtown. Seems like a solid pickup at 6 million over 2 years.

Resigned:
Tim Hardaway - He had a great playoff last season. He resigned for 74 million over 4 years. That seems to be the right range considering what Norman Powell, Duncan Robinson, and Spencer Dinwiddie are getting.

Boban - Might be the MVP of lockerroom guy. The rumour has it that he signed for cheap for one year.

Key losses:
Josh Richardson was traded for Moses Brown. He was supposed to be a second ballhandler, 3 point shooter and defender, but he was never really good at any of those and at the end of the season he was benched. He wont be missed.

Rumors:
There is a rumour going on that Dragic wants out of Toronto so he can play for the Mavs. There might be some moves going on there.

Most likely lineup
Luka Doncic - Jalen Brunson - Trey Burke
Tim Hardaway Jr - Reggie Bullock
Dorian Finney-Smith - Sterling Brown - Josh Green
Maxi Kleber - Dwight Powell
Kristaps Porziņģis - Moses Brown - Willie Cauley-Stein - Boban Marjanović

Final thoughts:
Clearly, the Mavs are building around Luka. They are building some great defence around him while also making sure he got shooters when he is doubled or facing help defence. As always, someone will say they did not acquire a second star. For them, I will say it is very hard to acquire one considering the Mavs don't have picks or young up and coming talent while also the free-agent market was very dry this year.
Right now the Mavs got a solid core of defenders and shooters. If KP suddenly becomes healthy, happy and productive the Mavs can become one of the top teams, but let's be honest. They are missing that last piece to the puzzle.

So basically whoever the mavs got is good and a great fit (the Moses brown spin was a pro level move)
Whoever they lost doesn’t matter
Got it

Written like a true homer. Well done

DoctorP
08-04-2021, 07:50 PM
Keeping Hardaway was great. He's a baller

I think moving Porzingis for a top tier guy will be your next move.

C+ rating.

Vino24
08-04-2021, 07:51 PM
Mavs were near the bottom in defense last season and got worse defensively so far. Let that sink in.

kentatm
08-04-2021, 08:49 PM
Mavs were near the bottom in defense last season and got worse defensively so far. Let that sink in.

Lol no they didn’t. Bullock is significantly better than Richardson at defending the P&R.

Vino24
08-04-2021, 08:56 PM
Lol no they didn’t. Bullock is significantly better than Richardson at defending the P&R.

Except he’s not

iamgine
08-04-2021, 09:34 PM
Well this certainly reminds me of Dirk era Mavs.

Sportal
08-04-2021, 09:35 PM
They lost Carlisle.... which was so massive it's not even funny... And have hardly improved their roster? Who are they gonna beat rn with this roster in the playoffs?

jbryan1984
08-04-2021, 11:51 PM
Thats crap. Nobody has come into the league and put numbers up like Luka at his age since LeBron. Cuban needs to get a team around him.

Dr. Cheesesteak
08-05-2021, 12:02 AM
Dang, ppl ripping on the Mavs, but I like a lot of these moves. Keep THJr Bobie, get Moses Brown for overrated JRich, get Bullock. I mean, honestly, sometimes the small moves are the biggest difference makers. They got more shooting (Bullock) and a legit low post guy (Moses). Although, that low post guy is a few years away...but, still! As a rating? I'd give B+. But...that's just the roster. Losing Carlisle is huge, imo. Counting F/O moves, I'd say it comes out to a B or B-.

I see Mavs as #4-6 seed range again. It'll be hard for any Western team to sneak in that #1-3 seed range w/ Utah, Pho, and Denver. I think maybe GSW or Portland if Billups coaches Dame and CJ to play defense may be Top 3. But for now, Top 3 seeds are pretty well set to be same as last season.

Druckenmiller
08-05-2021, 04:30 AM
Listen, this is straight trash. If you took Luka out of the mix this group of jokers would win 12 games.

It’s the worst supporting cast in the NBA right now — hands down.

A bunch of mediocre spare parts and arguably the softest player in the league in Porzingass. That dude is so soft they would kick him out of the WNBA and the church choir for being too big of a piss.

Druckenmiller
08-05-2021, 04:32 AM
They lost Carlisle.... which was so massive it's not even funny... And have hardly improved their roster? Who are they gonna beat rn with this roster in the playoffs?

The LA Sparks.

chocolatethunder
08-05-2021, 10:19 AM
Trash offseason. I love the Mavs but I am sick of Cuban and this bs. I'm fine w bringin Tim back and getting rid of J Rich but they didn't really do anything that will actually make them significantly better. Here's to another season of being a 5-8 seed.

Patrick Chewing
08-05-2021, 10:49 AM
Outside of Luka, you have scrubs. Luka has to make his way to New York.

Smoke117
08-05-2021, 11:37 AM
They didn't do anything of note to improve in any kind of significant way...1/5.

90sgoat
08-05-2021, 02:26 PM
Mavs fans on Reddit all love it and hype their trash players.

This is why it never improves.

dirkdiggler41
08-05-2021, 05:47 PM
For those who say it is all trash, I assume they could do better? Who would you guys sign?

90sgoat
08-05-2021, 06:42 PM
For those who say it is all trash, I assume they could do better? Who would you guys sign?

Bjelica
Fournier
Dragic
TJ McConnell
Kelly Olynuk
Patty Mills
Nic Batum

chocolatethunder
08-06-2021, 06:39 AM
I’m not the GM and I don’t like to get into hypotheticals etc. What I will say is that they have one of the best young talents of the last 25 years and they need to build a team around him that’s commensurate with his talent level and they have yet to do that. It’s not ab free agents it’s ab constructing a team by all means available that suits Luka best. Right now they have some mediocre team that will make the playoffs every year as a 5-8 seed and maybe win w series and two if they catch fire and are lucky. But this team is nothing more than that and Dallas has been nothing more than that or barely that since they won the title. I fear that they will waste Luka and he will spend his career like this, which is a shame.

Real Men Wear Green
08-06-2021, 06:54 AM
Bjelica
Fournier
Dragic
TJ McConnell
Kelly Olynuk
Patty Mills
Nic Batum

Are you sure that you named every white player in the NBA? Because I think you missed a few.

90sgoat
08-06-2021, 08:31 AM
Are you sure that you named every white player in the NBA? Because I think you missed a few.

Are Patty Mills, Fournier and Batum white?

I think they wouldn't like to hear that.

The commonality here is Euro or players like Olynuk and McConnell who are team oriented, high IQ, players. Oh yeah, and they're free agents.

I'm trying to be realistic, black stars and even lesser stars, don't want to play for Cuban and maybe don't want to play with Doncic (and Dirk before that).

Why not make your weakness your strength? Go get those euros, who other teams sleep on. Play as a euro team.

Ghost1
08-06-2021, 08:44 AM
Getting rid of Carlisle and Richardson is amazing. Good job :lebronamazed:

90sgoat
08-06-2021, 08:46 AM
Getting rid of Carlisle and Richardson is amazing. Good job :lebronamazed:

Jason Kidd should be able to teach Luka a lot about running an offense. There's no one better than Kidd at moving the ball.

insight
08-06-2021, 09:02 AM
Listen, this is straight trash. If you took Luka out of the mix this group of jokers would win 12 games.

It’s the worst supporting cast in the NBA right now — hands down.

A bunch of mediocre spare parts and arguably the softest player in the league in Porzingass. That dude is so soft they would kick him out of the WNBA and the church choir for being too big of a piss.

This roster is not the greatest but it is far from trash. Teams like Detroit, Cavs, Orlando, have far less talent. It seems like the narrative quickly changed to from Dallas had the best offense in the NBA to there is no talent around Luka just because Dallas can't advance in the playoffs. Nobody gave Trae Young a pass, and the Hawks roster was way worse than Luka ever had to deal with.

90sgoat
08-06-2021, 10:42 AM
This roster is not the greatest but it is far from trash. Teams like Detroit, Cavs, Orlando, have far less talent. It seems like the narrative quickly changed to from Dallas had the best offense in the NBA to there is no talent around Luka just because Dallas can't advance in the playoffs. Nobody gave Trae Young a pass, and the Hawks roster was way worse than Luka ever had to deal with.

Mavs roster last year was made up of Luka, KP, a 6th man and then the rest were end of the bench guys.

Dorian Finney-Smith would struggle to get any minutes in a rotation on most playoff teams, but started on Mavs.

Kleber was the starting power forward, but would realistically be a small ball scenario player, 10 minutes a game elsewhere.

Injured Dwight Powell would have a difficult time finding a team as a free agent now.

It was a very poor team.

kentatm
08-06-2021, 03:29 PM
Except he’s not

All the defensive metrics as well as the eye test disagree with you.