PDA

View Full Version : What did Team USA 2021 lack compared to other squads?

Im Still Ballin
08-07-2021, 04:14 AM
I think they lacked:

- A true playmaking PG (think Chris Paul)
- An elite two-way center with true size (think AD/Dwight in 08)
- Athletic, physical 'power slashers' (think Zion/LeBron/Wade/Kobe)

This squad had too many jump shooters. They needed someone like Zion to power through the more physical FIBA perimeter defense.

Compare them to the 2008 team; a ridiculously athletic and powerful squad. Just look at these insane highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeIp-HGXb0U

The 2021 team barely had any plays like that.

Ghost1
08-07-2021, 04:34 AM
they won because they had Durant

looking forward to 2028 Olympic final in LA, Slovenia vs. USA

Luka & lefty Luka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cF4izJe5KM

nayte
08-07-2021, 04:41 AM
I mean apart from Curty and LeBron etc . They lacked a bit of size. But they still won against just about the strongest Olympic competition ever. Maybe throw in Serbia and Greece and you can't do too much better.

If they took out zoning for qualifying you would see a few more strong European teams instead of Iran etc

Ghost1
08-07-2021, 04:52 AM
I mean apart from Curty and LeBron etc . They lacked a bit of size. But they still won against just about the strongest Olympic competition ever. Maybe throw in Serbia and Greece and you can't do too much better.

If they took out zoning for qualifying you would see a few more strong European teams instead of Iran etc

please, stop

Spain, Greece, Lithuania, Russia, France, Australia, Argentina and Brazil had stacked rosters from 2005 to 2015.

USA was just better with the insane 1982-1993 generation + Kobe.

nayte
08-07-2021, 05:15 AM
Of course USA are better . Geez.
And disagree . There are more international nba players then ever. Every one says the nba is stronger then ever now cause the international game had caught up a bit. Do they not.

Smoke117
08-07-2021, 05:22 AM
The best players, obviously. A fukking scrub like Javale McGee was on the team for Christ sakes. The 2008 team was basically the best American players in the world so of course they were much better.

Ghost1
08-07-2021, 05:29 AM
Of course USA are better . Geez.
And disagree . There are more international nba players then ever. Every one says the nba is stronger then ever now cause the international game had caught up a bit. Do they not.

that's because africa, europe, canada and australia started using their nikker potential. It's like Dubai discovering oil.

most of the elite fiba teams are in rebuilding mode

Im Still Ballin
08-07-2021, 05:39 AM
The best players, obviously. A fukking scrub like Javale McGee was on the team for Christ sakes. The 2008 team was basically the best American players in the world so of course they were much better.

I was speaking more stylistically, but you're absolutely right. If LeBron, Curry, Harden, AD, Kawhi, and CP3 played, guys like Lavine and Booker would barely be on the team.

nayte
08-07-2021, 05:46 AM
that's because africa, europe, canada and australia started using their nikker potential. It's like Dubai discovering oil.

most of the elite fiba teams are in rebuilding mode

It all ebbs and flows.teams fall back others are on the rise so I can kinda agree with you. I still say it was just about the strongest Olympic competition ever
America will never have that problem.

nayte
08-07-2021, 05:49 AM
I was speaking more stylistically, but you're absolutely right. If LeBron, Curry, Harden, AD, Kawhi, and CP3 played, guys like Lavine and Booker would barely be on the team.

Yeah well no shit.lol. but they still lacked size and it got found out a bit bit they still have too much talent. Especially the bench. I mean there is no comparison with the substitutions

Ghost1
08-07-2021, 05:52 AM
Curry / Irving / Lillard
Harden / Thompson
Leonard / James / George
Durant / Williamson
Davis / Adebayo

ScottieQuitting
08-07-2021, 06:50 AM
Drivers. Scorers not just shooters. Not just 3 and uncontested layup guys (modern players). Perimeter defense. Length, athleticism on the defensive side of the ball. But, most importantly size and physicality.

90sgoat
08-07-2021, 07:00 AM
They won, so they didn't miss anything.