PDA

View Full Version : Underrated/Overrated???

L.Kizzle
08-10-2021, 07:47 PM
Two similar players, you tell me which one is underrated and which one is overrated compared to each other. Both can't be overrated (for this threads sake.)

Dominique Wilkins
Clyde Drexler

Otis Thorpe
Charles Oakley

Detlef Schrempf
Dan Majerle

Kevin Johnson
Tim Hardaway

Shawn Kemp
Larry Johnson

Gilbert Arenas
Deron Williams

kennygriffin
08-10-2021, 08:12 PM
what if both are underrated or both are overrated

Dominique Wilkins - overrated
Clyde Drexler - overrated

Otis Thorpe - underrated
Charles Oakley - underrated

Detlef Schrempf - underrated
Dan Majerle - overrated

Kevin Johnson - underrated
Tim Hardaway - underrated

Shawn Kemp - underrated
Larry Johnson - underrated

Gilbert Arenas - overrated
Deron Williams - underrated

L.Kizzle
08-10-2021, 08:17 PM

Otis Thorpe - underrated

Dan Majerle - overrated

Shawn Kemp - underrated

Not both man.

Full Court
08-10-2021, 09:05 PM

Otis Thorpe - underrated

Dan Majerle - overrated

Shawn Kemp - underrated

I don't think both Drexler and Wilkins are overrated. If anything, they don't get their due today. They were both monsters back in their day. Drexler would even have a ring if he didn't have to go through Jordan and the Bulls.

kennygriffin
08-10-2021, 09:10 PM
Not both man.

but how can i just pick one if neither are overrated or neither are underrated

kennygriffin
08-10-2021, 09:17 PM
I don't think both Drexler and Wilkins are overrated. If anything, they don't get their due today. They were both monsters back in their day. Drexler would even have a ring if he didn't have to go through Jordan and the Bulls.

Drexler and dominique are remembered like they're legends or something. they were just really good allstars/scorers

nothing special

they're both house hold names and they never did sh*t other than drexlers ring chased BS title in 95

both are only popular for their dunks. they're basically the vince carters of their time

fsvr54
08-10-2021, 09:28 PM
My biggest underrated guys of the 90s are Mitch Richmond, Rex Chapman and Glen Rice.

Reggie43
08-10-2021, 09:34 PM
Arenas is probably the only overrated guy for me on that list.

2much_knowledge
08-11-2021, 04:49 AM
Drexler is actually underrated. He doesn't get love from youngins just because of shooting form and dribbling

32jazz
08-11-2021, 11:35 AM
Nique-overated
Drexler- underrated. More well rounded player than Nique

Thorpe-underrated . Better offensive threat. Did not play in NY/ Chicago like Oak.
Oakley- overrated. Maybe a better on ball defender

Schrempf- underrated.
Majerle-overrated. Better defensive reputation

Kemp- Underrated
Johnson-overrated

32jazz
08-11-2021, 11:41 AM
Drexler would even have a ring if he didn't have to go through Jordan and the Bulls. We agree that both Drexler/ Nique are a little underrated, but I get tired of the " go through Jordan " narrative. Drexler made the NBA Finals before MJ & lost to the Pistons. Then were ulset by Lakers in WCF.

Charlie Sheen
08-11-2021, 03:31 PM
Dominique Wilkins is underrated. Scorers feel like they're marginalized now. I've read people questioning if Melo was going to make the HOF.
Clyde Drexler is overrated because he got the ring.

Otis Thorpe is underrated. Reliable out to 18ft and had a good idea what he was feeling defensively.
Charles Oakley is overrated. His legend grew for talking shit about NBA players. It doesn't matter if he's played with or against someone for him to have an opinion. I don't think he stood head and shoulders above his contemporaries at the 4.

Detlef Schrempf is underrated. A mismatch for everyone except maybe Pippen. Shooter, finisher, playmaker.
Dan Majerle is overrated. He could shoot and had the size to defend bigger guards in the post and the athleticism to stay with quicker ones on the perimeter. He wasn't Detlef.

Kevin Johnson is underrated. I liked him
Tim Hardaway is overrated. I wasn't gonna pick kj

Shawn Kemp is underrated. He was a bonafide superstar.
Larry Johnson is overrated. Good player, but there's not much reason he should be remembered historically unless you're a pacers fan :lol

Gilbert Arenas is underrated. Same as Kemp. Feels like fans want to remember how he finished his NBA career much more than the guy he was at his best
Deron Williams is overrated. He still gets a mention as Chris Paul's equal during their first years in the league.

ArbitraryWater
08-11-2021, 03:34 PM
why dont we pick who's better seems simpler

sdot_thadon
08-11-2021, 03:51 PM
Two similar players, you tell me which one is underrated and which one is overrated compared to each other. Both can't be overrated (for this threads sake.)

Dominique Wilkins overrated
Clyde Drexler underrated

Clyde was a better all around guy and was seen as nipping at MJ's heels at one point to being considered an afterthought now. I loved Nique, but I think by nature scorers get overrated.

Otis Thorpe underrated
Charles Oakley overrated

These 2 guys are actually pretty close in my book, but I say Oak is more likely to be overrated because he was in New York and the reputation of those teams helped keep him visible. Meanwhile many didn't know about Ot's hard working game.

Detlef Schrempf underrated
Dan Majerle overrated

I say Detlef is underrated because he was a killer, and history hasn't been as kind to him as Majerle, who is basically remembered as an allstar tho i think I'd rather have Schrempf on my squad.

Kevin Johnson underrated
Tim Hardaway overrated
Case of 2 close guys again, I just feel like Hardaway made more noise commercially in the era tho.

Shawn Kemp underrated
Larry Johnson overrated

This one is tuuuufff. I liked both guys as players but it just comes down to me being incapable of saying Kemp was overrated. :lol

Gilbert Arenas underrated
Deron Williams overrated

Damn another tough one. But I'll say Arenas was underrated because he was capable of top tier elite level scoring and taking over games before injuries. Williams was just solid and dependable, but sort of lived in the shadow of the beast that was Cp3 and if i could say underrated to both this mathcup would be the one.

Smoke117
08-11-2021, 03:53 PM
If I think rated correctly I'll just leave blank.

Dominique Wilkins
Clyde Drexler Underrated

Otis Thorpe Underrated
Charles Oakley

Detlef Schrempf Underrated
Dan Majerle

Kevin Johnson Underrated
Tim Hardaway

Shawn Kemp Overrated
Larry Johnson

Gilbert Arenas Overrated
Deron Williams Overrated

Oh, I didn't actually read how you were supposed to pick. Oh well.

Smoke117
08-11-2021, 03:55 PM
Gilbert Arenas underrated
Deron Williams overrated

Damn another tough one. But I'll say Arenas was underrated because he was capable of top tier elite level scoring and taking over games before injuries. Williams was just solid and dependable, but sort of lived in the shadow of the beast that was Cp3 and if i could say underrated to both this mathcup would be the one.

Deron Williams is definitely not underrated. People were putting him on the level of CP3 because his box numbers were similar at one point, but he never had close to the actual Impact Paul did.

sdot_thadon
08-11-2021, 04:27 PM
Deron Williams is definitely not underrated. People were putting him on the level of CP3 because his box numbers were similar at one point, but he never had close to the actual Impact Paul did.

I agree to an extent but I feel like he was alot better than we currently choose to remember him too.