PDA

View Full Version : Any of you watch the Malice in the palace documentary on Netflix?

Kblaze8855
08-12-2021, 12:44 PM
Jermaine O’Neal produced/directed it apparently. I saw him doing a promo recently. I saw it on there but didn’t realize he was behind it.

As expected they are going waaaaay dramatic. Like a war story.

It’s all old news now but it’s the first time the nba let footage be used. They had to wait till Stern was gone I believe. He didn’t like to even acknowledge it.

I could do with less of a Lord if the rings style soundtrack and I’m pretty sure Jermaine is about to go waaaaaaay into the “Because we are black” thing since he mentioned the nhl fights and all that….but it does have some footage I forgot. I didn’t realize how much was blacklisted by the nba. Ben really did shove the **** outta Ron. And Ron was doing what his traveling psychiatrist taught him. The Pacers supplied him with a guy to follow him around and keep him from going crazy(back when mental health issues weren’t as openly discussed).

Apparently when Ron lay down he was doing his 5 count calming process….and that all got out of hand.

Its interesting so far covering Jermaine….Reggie is in here. Something to watch in the offseason if you don’t mind them taking it all waaaaaay too serious.

tontoz
08-12-2021, 12:46 PM
I happened to be watching this game live. When Jermaine landed that sliding punch knocking out that fan, which they played in slo mo, i couldn't help but :roll:

FultzNationRISE
08-12-2021, 12:48 PM
Jermaine's Slide Punch™ is beyond legendary.

Kblaze8855
08-12-2021, 12:53 PM
Jermaine said the legendary street fighter Heavy Punch:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RareDecisiveHarborseal-size_restricted.gif

Was because the guy he hit was seconds earlier standing over a fallen teammate in street clothes. He says it was an already injured teammate who was in an arm cast and when he saw him down he just sprinted to get the fan off him but….I’m not sure I see what he’s talking about.

It may have been a few seconds apart though as he also said he was hit just right before that. He said he lost it going after Artest in the Lockeroom when Ron asked “You think we gonna get in trouble?”.

Jackson told that story years ago but didn’t include Jermaine rushing him and then having to be broken up. Jermaine used to hate Ron for being crazy but now he understands he legit was….just ****ed in the head. They didn’t get along at all back then.

TheCorporation
08-12-2021, 12:54 PM
I started it last night actually :cheers:

Kblaze8855
08-12-2021, 12:54 PM
I happened to be watching this game live. When Jermaine landed that sliding punch knocking out that fan, which they played in slo mo, i couldn't help but :roll:

I watched it but left the house for a minute late and came back just as the chaos started. I walked in the house to people screaming at the tv just as it started.

That was a fun night on ish.

FultzNationRISE
08-12-2021, 01:04 PM
I had just come home from a pizza delivery shift, flicked on the TV and landed on the Pacers-Pistons game. Saw it was pretty much over but just left it on anyway and went to change, use the bathroom, make food etc. When I heard the commotion of the initial fracas I came back to the television and watched the whole thing unfold live.

Shit was honestly epic. I was so giddy about it. I was like THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER!!!! :roll: Picked up my phone and called the friend I thought would be most likely to be watching a random regular season game and he picked up and was like "Yo!" and I was like "Dude, are you-!?" and he was like "Yeahhh!!!" and I was like "AHHHH!!!!" and he was like "AHHHHH!!!!!"

True story.

Shogon
08-12-2021, 01:05 PM
I watched it but left the house for a minute late and came back just as the chaos started. I walked in the house to people screaming at the tv just as it started.

That was a fun night on ish.

That night and Kobe dropping 81 were probably the two best nights I can remember on this website.

tpols
08-12-2021, 01:07 PM
Mike Breen commentary was GOAT on this. :roll:

FultzNationRISE
08-12-2021, 01:13 PM

He just continues calling the play-by-play even as it transitions from basketball game into melee :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dude is an absolute hero for that shit.

Shogon
08-12-2021, 01:18 PM

:roll:

taabhimself
08-12-2021, 08:18 PM
you ****ing know I did bakedlaze. I felt the same as you. there was a healthy dose of hyperbole in this doc. frankly the biggest exaggeration was how good the Pacers were that year.

as a Pistons faithful... I get that it was from the Pacers perspective, and I acknowledge they were a tough team, but they were not going to get past us that year, period. all the title talk is way overblown. they spanked us that game but we definitely had a championship hangover for a couple weeks that season. we weren't close to our stride until the new year when we started putting win streaks together.

and Reggie Miller saying Jermaine O'Neal was the "best interior defender" that year... lmfao. JO 2bpg, Ben 2.4bpg. JO .6spg, Ben 1.4spg. JO 2.5 defensive win shares, Ben mother****ing SIX POINT SEVEN. stats aside, you don't have to be a genius to acknowledge Ben was the best interior defender for most of that decade. if you watched a scintilla of basketball from '01-'06 you know this.

so, the exaggeration/homerism of the Pacers perspective had me a lil annoyed. nonetheless, it was a good watch.

honestly, everyone calls it a black eye on Detroit sports but I've always had a little point of guilty pride that we swarmed them after they ran up in the stands... lol

k0kakw0rld
08-12-2021, 08:20 PM
RINGLESS THUGS (at the time)

highwhey
08-12-2021, 08:26 PM
i watched this game live, i was just a kid. immediately became a fan. wish another event that rivaled the fukkery of this incident would happen.

SATAN
08-12-2021, 08:27 PM
It was more enjoyable and interesting than The Last Dance.

taabhimself
08-12-2021, 08:28 PM
RINGLESS THUGS (at the time)

Malice at the Palace was post-chip, big boy.

1987_Lakers
08-12-2021, 08:31 PM
Saw it the other night, pretty disappointing, nothing new was learned. They spent a good chunk of the documentary discussing Jermaine O'Neal's journey into the NBA which I thought was pointless.

3ba11
08-12-2021, 08:31 PM
f*ck yeah... i remember watching that game live and thinking "this is the most awesome thing ever"

amazing entertainment value for the viewer

taabhimself
08-12-2021, 08:35 PM
i watched this game live, i was just a kid. immediately became a fan. wish another event that rivaled the fukkery of this incident would happen.

same. shit is like Pearl Harbor, JFK, and 9/11 - I remember exactly where I was. was a friday night and I had just watched a HS football game and stopped at a local restaurant we used to go to for hot wings. was sitting at the bar eating and was all "oh yeah, Pistons Pacers tonight!" jaw dropped and sat there all open-mouthed when the shit hit the fan. lived in a small town in OH so all my friends started giving me racist shit ab the city of Detroit.

Reggie43
08-12-2021, 08:36 PM
They definitely had a great chance to beat the Pistons that year with a complete and healthy squad considering that an injured and suspension ravaged version of the team was able to take two games off them in the playoffs and actually led them 2-1. Imagine the series with a healthy Jermaine and an Artest in his absolute prime.

Pistons won a championship in 2004 but lets not act like they were this unbeatable all time great team lol.

taabhimself
08-12-2021, 08:42 PM
They definitely had a great chance to beat the Pistons that year with a complete and healthy squad considering that an injured and suspension ravaged version of the team was able to take two games off them in the playoffs and actually led them 2-1. Imagine the series with a healthy Jermaine and an Artest in his absolute prime.

Pistons won a championship in 2004 but lets not act like they were this unbeatable all time great team lol.

nobody is acting like they were unbeatable, obviously. the Spurs beat us. but the Pacers weren't it chief. Indy played a good game 2, eked one out at home, then got their asses kicked three in a row. also Carlos Arroyo was hurt. and don't laugh, he was crucial to giving Billups a breather that season bc Lindsay Hunter was getting super old.

Reggie43
08-12-2021, 09:12 PM
nobody is acting like they were unbeatable, obviously. the Spurs beat us. but the Pacers weren't it chief. Indy played a good game 2, eked one out at home, then got their asses kicked three in a row. also Carlos Arroyo was hurt. and don't laugh, he was crucial to giving Billups a breather that season bc Lindsay Hunter was getting super old.

Yeah but thats an injury to a roleplayer who barely played significant mins even when healthy, compare that to Jermaine with a dislocated shoulder, Tinsley with an injured foot, Artest suspended the whole year for being a headcase and Reggie Miller being super old (lol). It got so bad that we had to get Dale Davis back on the team just to provide an interior presence to help us make the playoffs which he delivered with Jermaine out.

We really matched up well with Detroit that year (when healthy) with the addition of Stephen Jackson and the motivation of getting beat the previous year.

It would have been a seven game series which could have gone either way is all that Im saying.

Mauzah
08-12-2021, 10:59 PM
The shove from Ben Wallace to Artest seemed way crazier than I remember. I'm sure it was the extra sound design that added a bit more punch but for a second there you really see how big these dudes are and Wallace was ready to go. It was like two lions meeting in the jungle.

I always thought Artest laying on the scorers table was simply a cocky bravado type move but really it was just teachings from his psychiatrist to try and calm down.

taabhimself
08-12-2021, 11:07 PM
Yeah but thats an injury to a roleplayer who barely played significant mins even when healthy, compare that to Jermaine with a dislocated shoulder, Tinsley with an injured foot, Artest suspended the whole year for being a headcase and Reggie Miller being super old (lol). It got so bad that we had to get Dale Davis back on the team just to provide an interior presence to help us make the playoffs which he delivered with Jermaine out.

We really matched up well with Detroit that year (when healthy) with the addition of Stephen Jackson and the motivation of getting beat the previous year.

It would have been a seven game series which could have gone either way is all that Im saying.

meh, we'll have to agree to disagree my dude :oldlol: y'all were tough but i think we had your number after the Tayshaun block. good times regardless, much more fun team to meet in the playoffs than the JKidd Nets/Pierce Walker Celtics.

Reggie43
08-13-2021, 02:43 AM
meh, we'll have to agree to disagree my dude :oldlol: y'all were tough but i think we had your number after the Tayshaun block. good times regardless, much more fun team to meet in the playoffs than the JKidd Nets/Pierce Walker Celtics.

Yeah I actually liked the Pistons outside the brawl because they were built like a 90s Pacers team obviously because of their coach. Tayshaun and Rasheed were always my faves but was very frustrated on how good Rip Hamilton was on that Larry Brown led offense.

nayte
08-13-2021, 02:54 AM
Might give it a watch this weekend.
On a side note who do you think would win in a fight between big Ben and Ron. They were two of the tougher players at that time

Charlie Sheen
08-13-2021, 11:01 AM
It wasn't as dramatic or drawn out as I expected after reading the OP. That LOTR descirption of the music made me laugh watching it.

The only thing I came away wishing the documentary covered was everyone got some form of closure or redemption except the steve bartman looking guy Ron went after in the crowd. Maybe he didn't want to be part of the documentary :confusedshrug:

Duderonomy
08-13-2021, 11:01 AM
Man I watched last night with my girlfriend. I remember I was at the bowling alley with my cousin when it happened, it was a riot.

Was I the only one laughing when Artest took family bereavement to show up at the Source awards :roll::oldlol:

And1AllDay
08-13-2021, 11:36 AM
jermaine o neal was best interior defender? :oldlol:

how you gonna say that when ben mf wallace is in the same damn documnetary thats cap reggie

Airupthere
08-13-2021, 12:00 PM
The shove from Ben Wallace to Artest seemed way crazier than I remember. I'm sure it was the extra sound design that added a bit more punch but for a second there you really see how big these dudes are and Wallace was ready to go. It was like two lions meeting in the jungle.

I always thought Artest laying on the scorers table was simply a cocky bravado type move but really it was just teachings from his psychiatrist to try and calm down.

That shove from ben wallace wasn't much. It was weak enough for artest to have kept himself on his feet. Pshh.

Tristan's elbow on Lebron though was one of the most damaging we have seen in the game. It made the "king" fall backwards at a distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSdJQ-aXS-A

TheCorporation
08-13-2021, 02:18 PM
That shove from ben wallace wasn't much. It was weak enough for artest to have kept himself on his feet. Pshh.

Tristan's elbow on Lebron though was one of the most damaging we have seen in the game. It made the "king" fall backwards at a distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSdJQ-aXS-A

Not even 2 pages in and this man cant keep LeSausage out of his mouth. Sad.

taabhimself
08-13-2021, 11:20 PM
Man I watched last night with my girlfriend. I remember I was at the bowling alley with my cousin when it happened, it was a riot.

Was I the only one laughing when Artest took family bereavement to show up at the Source awards :roll::oldlol:

lol holy shit no dude, i died laughing when i suddenly remembered "Tru Warier"

AlphaWolf24
08-14-2021, 05:15 PM
I Watched it...I was reminded how much that game changed the behaviors of Fans.

I remember going to watch LAL vs PHX in the early 90's...Fans acted violently and spit hatred to players non stop ( especially Barkley)

After the Malice at the Palace Fans were held more accountable.....

added That dude who threw the beer is straight B!tch....the way he acted afterwards....I wish Ron would have grabbed him instead.